• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Then explain to me the methodology of the search, other than "let's look in the Indian ocean"

They have the keep-alive pings from the Inmarsat network. First these allowed them to narrow it into two corridors in the Indian Ocean, north and south. Further analysis eliminated the north corridor, and taking fuel and speed into account they have narrowed the search to a relatively small portion of the original southern route.

That was found? I have no idea. I don't even know of any plane crashes where the locator/communication devices were immediately turned off in-flight. But even still, the oceanic disasters where the authorities had NO idea where the plane was after losing contact (like Adam Air Flight 574) had a search area afterwards.

But that's exactly my point as to why they have no idea where it is, because it drastically differs from all other oceanic disasters (that I know of). I was operating on the assumption that there was an actual search area.

There has never not been a search area. I don't understand your reasoning here one bit.

seanoff

Wouldn't some seaplanes + a tanker to refuel them at sea the best bet at searching for the wreckage? You wouldn't have to take off from land and fly for 4 hours just to get to the site.

yep good luck landing any aircraft on water with 3 - 5 metre waves.

NOPE

Enron

Banned
Wouldn't some seaplanes + a tanker to refuel them at sea the best bet at searching for the wreckage? You wouldn't have to take off from land and fly for 4 hours just to get to the site.

If it were this easy you don't think it would have been done already? As someone earlier said, NOPE.

MIMIC

Banned
They have the keep-alive pings from the Inmarsat network. First these allowed them to narrow it into two corridors in the Indian Ocean, north and south. Further analysis eliminated the north corridor, and taking fuel and speed into account they have narrowed the search to a relatively small portion of the original southern route.

I'm talking about after the elimination of the north corridor.

There has never not been a search area. I don't understand your reasoning here one bit.

Well, you call it a search area. I (now) call it "somewhere on this part of Earth"

coldfoot

Banned
yep good luck landing any aircraft on water with 3 - 5 metre waves.

NOPE

Didn't know the seas were that bad over there. I guess short of a full carrier, the next best option is tiltrotors taking off from LHD's, which only the USA has I think...

The more I look at the search area and how just plain intractable that region of the world is, I think there's a very low chance of finding anything, and that just reinforces my opinion of pilot suicide.

FyreWulff

I wonder if we're going to see Immarsat put up another satellite over the area for better triangulation on any planes in the area (costly, and overly redundant) or some sort of floated basic radar installation (politics!)

Pandemic

Apologies if this is a repost,
The captain of Flight 370 was in no state of mind to fly the day it disappeared and could have taken the Boeing 777 for a "last joyride" before crashing into the Indian Ocean, a fellow pilot says.

Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah's world was crumbling, said the long-time associate. He had been facing serious family problems, including separation from his wife and relationship problems with another woman he was seeing.

The man, who spoke to the Herald on condition of anonymity, said Captain Zaharie was "terribly upset" when his wife told him she was leaving and believed he may have decided to take the Malaysia Airlines plane to a part of the world he had never flown in.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said data showed the plane, carrying 239 people, crashed into the southern Indian Ocean about 2500km west of Perth on March 8, eight hours after leaving Kuala Lumpur.

With no landing sites nearby, the jetliner is presumed lost with no survivors.

However the fellow pilot raised questions about the captain's state of mind.

He guessed that Captain Zaharie may have considered the flight a "last joyride" - the chance to do things in a plane he had previously been able to do only on a simulator.

The friend said Captain Zaharie, who he chatted to when they met several times a year through work, was a fanatic for "the three Fs" - food, family and flying.

When he wasn't working he spent hours cooking or using his home-made flight simulator for a variety of situations he wouldn't experience at the controls of a commercial airline, such as flying at the highest and lowest possible altitudes.

The simulator was seized last week and is being analysed by the FBI.

Investigations so far found that, up to the point when the co-pilot said "all right, good night" to Malaysian traffic controllers, the plane had been flying normally. Military radar tracking showed the aircraft made a sharp turn soon after and started flying at altitudes as high as 45,000ft (13,716m) and as low as 12,000ft before it disappeared.

The associate believed the co-pilot must have been incapacitated and the other flight crew kept out of the cockpit.

"It is very possible that neither the passengers nor the other crew on-board knew what was happening until it was too late."

The friend said the disappearance of the Boeing 777 happened as Captain Zaharie's world was crumbling.

"He's one of the finest pilots around and I'm no medical expert, but with all that was happening in his life Zaharie was probably in no state of mind to be flying."
Source

Probably another false ''source'', but maybe the phone call that was reported a while ago in the cockpit, was by the woman he was seeing?

Very common. If Americans are killed anywhere they must make sure the evidence is collected correctly so that the suspects can be prosecuted under US laws.

Ok fine, but there were way more Chinese on the plane, for example. Wouldn't the Chinese equivalent organization want dibs on the investigation? Or are they all working on it together?

MIMIC

Banned
I don't know what this means. Are you asking how they eliminated the north corridor?

I'm talking about what they are doing right now.

They have never not had a search area and your distinction here is completely arbitrary.

I think it's fair to say that most searches after oceanic disasters don't include half of an ocean. The distinction is completely valid.

KHarvey16

I'm talking about what they are doing right now.

What? They're not doing anything with the north corridor now. They know the plane never went there.

I think it's fair to say that most searches after oceanic disasters don't include half of an ocean. The distinction is completely valid.

It isn't valid, but has it occurred to you why it might be the initial search area was larger than any search in the history of aviation?

Totakeke

With the intense scrutiny on Malaysia now I would not be surprised if people there now knew, if the not the details, but the general sentiment about how Malaysia treats Chinese people.

Nope, but then I find it ironic how Chinese people in Malaysia always think how their link to China is a big deal and how they should contribute to China and when if I see the other way around, there's Chinese people pretty much everywhere in the world and they have enough problems of their own to go around defending other people. China doesn't really care about the descendants of some of their people who emigrated a couple of generations ago man.

You can show me some examples of Chinese media covering these so called plights and I might think otherwise.

MIMIC

Banned
What? They're not doing anything with the north corridor now. They know the plane never went there.

I'm talking about the search as it stands right now. They are currently combing "random" parts of the Indian Ocean, right? And you said it's not "random", so I asked you to explain the methodology.

It isn't valid, but has it occurred to you why it might be the initial search area was larger than any search in the history of aviation?

THIS search includes half of an ocean. OTHER searches haven't. I really don't understand what you are talking about now.

Which is why I now hesitate to even call that a search area. Technically, you could include every ocean on Earth and still call it a search area, but I'm going to be as liberal with the term.

Gianny

This object object washed ashore in the Maldives.
http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54153

0_13957403400_1395680470bomb_news_news.jpg

Looks similar to this fire suppression bottle similar to what would be found on a 777.
388x375x678658848.pagespeed.ic.Fm-5teWM9D.jpg

http://quick.aero/sterling/blog/how-to-ship-apu-fire-bottles-as-non-explosives/@@content.attachment/388x375x678658848.pagespeed.ic.Fm-5teWM9D.jpg

luoapp

Now it's in Maldives? Great, just great. On the other hand, those things usually bear a serial number can be tracked, so we will have answers (relatively) soon.

KHarvey16

I'm talking about the search as it stands right now. They are currently combing "random" parts of the Indian Ocean, right? And you said it's not "random", so I asked you to explain the methodology.

This is frustrating because you aren't understanding a god damn thing people are trying to tell you. They are not combing random anything. What sequence of letters will make that sink in for you? How many different ways can it be phrased before you catch on that none of this is random? I fucking explained it to you...how they narrowed it down to those two corridors, and now how they've eliminated one of those corridors.

Did you catch a single word of that? Any of it?

THIS search includes half of an ocean. OTHER searches haven't. I really don't understand what you are talking about now.

Which is why I now hesitate to even call that a search area. Technically, you could include every ocean on Earth and still call it a search area, but I'm going to be as liberal with the term.

This is hopeless. I wish you would spend half the time you spend writing actually reading instead. You are not following any of this story on any level whatsoever.

Javaman

Had a whole post written up, but it just boiled down to basically this. Some of the design decisions, and I'm sure being an armchair of an armchair mechanical engineer here, are really odd, such as the dual flight sticks that average each pilots input, rather than a one dude in control approach. Also not being able to tell if you were angled up or down, seems like something you'd just be able to feel rather than rely on a readout. Or take the whole American space pen vs russian pencil angle and use some sort of low tech solution to indicate leveling as a backup? Mostly based on the Air France disaster and reading up on it, pilot error / inexperience played a massive part in it as well, which is again really scary, captain leaves cabin and 15 minutes later everyone is dead.

Flying by the seat of your pants while in IFR (instrument flight rules-no outside visual) is a good way to get yourself killed. Your inner ear sometimes won't match up with the horizon and you can go into a death spiral. That's why they have several different and redundant attitude instruments in airplanes (bank indicator, artificial horizon, heading). Despite all those things that indicate occasionally pilots crash because they believe their own senses over the multiple instruments telling them otherwise.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graveyard_spiral

MIMIC

Banned
This is frustrating because you aren't understanding a god damn thing people are trying to tell you. They are not combing random anything. What sequence of letters will make that sink in for you? How many different ways can it be phrased before you catch on that none of this is random? I fucking explained it to you...how they narrowed it down to those two corridors, and now how they've eliminated one of those corridors.

Did you catch a single word of that? Any of it?

OMG. I will try this one last time.

TO-DAY. When they fly a plane out TO-DAY and search HERE

Az6AZf6.jpg

for the missing plane, what is their methodology for searching in one area as opposed to the other, other than just any random location in that picture (or red circle I drew)?

The likelihood of finding ANYTHING in an area that undefined is probably near zero. Which is why they're going to keep finding all sorts of crap, except the plane.

This is hopeless. I wish you would spend half the time you spend writing actually reading instead. You are not following any of this story on any level whatsoever.

Well as long as you aren't disputing what I said.....

This area of the Earth that they're lookin in needs to be a bit more refined before I consider it a search area. Why? Because of the improbably low likelihood of finding anything. Like I said: might as well search the rest of the globe as well. To further that guy's analogy: "It's like searching for a needle on Planet Haystack"

But that's just me. If others think anything is going to be found soon in that area, then great. And if they do find something, I'll gladly admit I was wrong. I have no stake in this. I don't mind being wrong.

Fjolle

for the missing plane, what is their methodology for searching in one area as opposed to the other, other than just any random location in that picture (or red circle I drew)?

They have an idea about an area where it went down. Then they have the ocean currents and wind conditions for the last 20 days, that would spread out the debris in a general direction.

Why is that so hard to understand?

subrock

This object object washed ashore in the Maldives.
http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54153

0_13957403400_1395680470bomb_news_news.jpg

Looks similar to this fire suppression bottle similar to what would be found on a 777.
388x375x678658848.pagespeed.ic.Fm-5teWM9D.jpg

http://quick.aero/sterling/blog/how-to-ship-apu-fire-bottles-as-non-explosives/@@content.attachment/388x375x678658848.pagespeed.ic.Fm-5teWM9D.jpg
Crazy. No mention of mh370 in that article. Hopefully top men are being dispatched to investigate.

Some interesting discussion here:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6037960/

numble

Nope, but then I find it ironic how Chinese people in Malaysia always think how their link to China is a big deal and how they should contribute to China and when if I see the other way around, there's Chinese people pretty much everywhere in the world and they have enough problems of their own to go around defending other people. China doesn't really care about the descendants of some of their people who emigrated a couple of generations ago man.

You can show me some examples of Chinese media covering these so called plights and I might think otherwise.

Eh, there's a lot of Chinese coverage of things affecting overseas Chinese, even things like SCA 5 in California:

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/848488.shtml#.UzKFy9x033w
http://news.baidu.com/ns?cl=2&rn=20&tn=news&word=sca 5&ie=utf-8&ie=utf-8

And there was plenty of coverage on racial incidents against Chinese in Africa.

The state-owned Chinese media produced a documentary on the 1998 Jakarta riots against overseas Chinese, "Black May," and that is what the Jakarta riots is called in China.

There are entire government departments that focus on dealing with overseas Chinese, and a lot of investment in China has come through those links.

Totakeke

Eh, I would say SCA5 has a significant effect on Chinese Nationals themselves given how many of them aspire to attend those education institutions and racial violence is on a different level, but whatever, I stand corrected.

So has there been any new coverage on the unjust treatment of Malaysia to the Chinese living there correlating with the recent protests?

numble

Eh, I would say SCA5 has a significant effect on Chinese Nationals themselves given how many of them aspire to attend those education institutions and racial violence is on a different level, but whatever, I stand corrected.

So has there been any new coverage on the unjust treatment of Malaysia to the Chinese living there correlating with the recent protests?

There appear to be many news articles if you search "Malaysia" and "Discrimination" in Baidu:
http://news.baidu.com/ns?word=%C2%E...C6%E7%CA%D3&tn=news&from=news&cl=2&rn=20&ct=1

Almost all are about discrimination against Chinese, or ethnic discrimination in general, but I also see articles about AIDS discrimination.

syllogism

This area of the Earth that they're lookin in needs to be a bit more refined before I consider it a search area. Why? Because of the improbably low likelihood of finding anything. Like I said: might as well search the rest of the globe as well. To further that guy's analogy: "It's like searching for a needle on Planet Haystack"

But that's just me. If others think anything is going to be found soon in that area, then great. And if they do find something, I'll gladly admit I was wrong. I have no stake in this. I don't mind being wrong.
You aren't even saying anything other than that the search area is large and they may never find anything, which I'm sure even the investigators agree with.

Um. No.

There isn't any unjust treatment. =_=

MIMIC

Banned
Looks like the lawsuits will soon be getting underway:

A Chicago-based attorney has taken the first formal legal steps related to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, the opening shot in what promises to be a sustained litigation campaign.

Monica Kelly, a lawyer at Ribbeck Law, asked an Illinois state judge on Tuesday to order Malaysia Airlines and Boeing, which manufactured the missing airplane, to provide documents and other information.

Kelly is seeking specific information about the airline's batteries, details on the fire and oxygen systems and records related to the fuselage.

The filing appears to be the first move toward U.S.-based litigation stemming from the March 8 incident. The firm said it plans to build a multi-million dollar suit against the airline and Boeing.
CNN Money

Unless you're thinking about something else entirely, Malaysia's affirmative action is pretty well known.

And afaik it was considered necessary at the time of its inception (60s/70s) as the natives were at a severe disadvantage with regards to their education level and their share of the economy which was heaviliy dominated by the Chinese and other foreigners. That was the state of the nation, post-Independence, brought upon through the "divide and conquer" tactics of British when they colonised the country.

Sadly, while an emergant group of middle class and educated Malays were sucessfully brought up by this policy, it mostly ended up being widely abused by the Malay elites, had little to no oversight, and was also used by political cronies to enrich their own coffers, which also directly led to a culture of dependency that exists to this very day. It also ensured that the government easily stayed in power since Independence via the support of the Malay based majority through handouts.

liquidtmd

Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10718181/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-live.html

Todays 5:30am press conference.

11.04 More from Jonathan Pearlman in Kuala Lumpur:

Malaysia has now started to defend itself – in fairly blunt terms - after coming under intense criticism for its handling of the MH370 crash.

At today’s press briefing, Hishammuddin Hussein - the acting transport minister who has become the face of the Malaysian effort to find the plane – said Malaysia deserved credit for arranging a joint search involving the world’s most sophisticated equipment from 26 countries.

Some of these countries, he noted, have not had particularly friendly relations of late.

Referring to recent squabbles and territorial claims over tiny islands in south-east Asia – including the dispute between Japan and China over the disputed Sekaku islands – he said: “In south-east Asia, where we are fighting for rocks in the middle of the sea, we are working together.”

Malaysian authorities and Malaysia Airlines have faced severe criticism over the apparent failure to release and respond to information, particularly during the early days after the plane went missing on March 8. Critics in China and elsewhere accused authorities of a cover-up and of mishandling the search.

11.03 Crew members of Chinese icebreaker Xuelong scan the sea to search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 in the area where Chinese aircraft spotted some suspicious objects in the southern Indian Ocean:

10.51 This from our reporter Jonathan Pearlman in Kuala Lumpur:

"Malaysian authorities have just revealed that new satellite images have found "122 potential objects" ranging in size from 3 to 75 feet across an area of 154 square miles in the south Indian Ocean. Aircraft have been sent out to scour the area. The images were taken by Airbus Defence and Space in France and were about 1,589 miles from Perth in an area that tallies with previous images captured by US and Chinese

Malaysian authorities are about to release new maps which show the apparent debris field.

“It must be emphasized that we cannot tell whether the potential objects are from MH370,” said Hishammuddin Hussein, the acting transport minister. “Nevertheless, this is another new lead that will help direct the search operation”.

10.49 He does, however, suggest that the Chinese families should stop blaming Malaysia and adopt a more "rational" response.

"Chinese families must understand that we in Malaysia have also lost loved ones. They have lost relatives all over the world. I have seen images from Australia that are very rational."

10.42 Hishammuddin Hussein is asked about the Chinese families who are unwilling to accept their loved ones have died. "It is very difficult for me because I am a father and a brother and I know what they are going through. Until we find the debris, the very answer they want we cannot provide."

"We are going to continue to engage, time will heal emotions that are running high."

10.29 The news that 122 objects have been spotted by French satellite images has only recently been relayed to the Australian authorities who have inputed them into their calculations.

10.21 Hishammuddin Hussein says that "god willing" the black box will be located within the 30 day period that it emits a locator beacon.

He references the Air France crash when it took two years to find the black box. If it passes the 30 day threshold there will be a "different focus on technology".

10.18 Asked if tensions with China during the search would affect the relationship between the countries, Hishammuddin Hussein says that there have been "unprecedented levels of cooperation" which will actually work in Malaysia's favour.

He says that the Malaysian prime minister will travel to China in May and Barack Obama will visit Malaysia next month. The "Unprecedented cooperation for MH370 is going to be an asset in those visits"

10.10 The search area has been divided into two sectors, East and West. 12 planes wil travel to the search area, 6 in the East section, 6 in the West.

09.59 Hishammuddin Hussein says that Malaysia Airlines will be having their own press conference tomorrow.

09.54 A disaster movie about a jet that mysteriously crashes into the ocean has been put on hold because of its similarities to the missing Malaysian plane.

Arclight Films, the production company behind "Deep Water," said that preproduction has been halted for the time being.

Managing Director Gary Hamilton said, "we're delaying it out of respect for what's going on."

According to the company's website, the film is about a flight from Sydney to Beijing that goes down in the ocean, leaving the surviving passengers and crew to fight off sharks and other dangers.

09.46 Hishammuddin Hussein says that some objects in the new satellite images appear small but one object is as big as 23 metres in length. Some objects appear to be bright, possibly indicating solid material. He adds that they cannot tell for certain that the objects are from the missing plane.

09.44 Malaysia's acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein says that the chairman of Malindo Air has joined him. One of their planes had to turn back earlier today after one of their engines caught on fire.

09.42 The press conference is underway. Malaysian authorities say that new satellite images from France have emerged that identify 122 potential objects within a 400 square km area which could be from flight MH370. The satellite photos were taken on March 23.

9.33 Reuters reports that a U.S.-based law firm said it expects to represent families of more than half of the passengers on board the missing flight in a lawsuit against the carriers and Boeing Co , alleging the plane had crashed due to mechanical failure. ------------ how can you bring a lawsuit with no proof of the allegation?

Ribbeck Law has filed a petition for discovery against Boeing and Malaysian Airlines.The focus of the case will be on Boeing, as they believe that the incident was caused by mechanical failure.

"Our theory of the case is that there was a failure of the equipment in the cockpit that may have caused a fire that rendered the crew unconscious, or perhaps because of the defects in the fuselage which had been reported before there was some loss in the cabin pressure that also made the pilot and co-pilot unconscious," Monica Kelly, head of Global Aviation Litigation at Ribbeck Law, said

"That plane was actually a ghost plane for several hours until it ran out of fuel." -- Again how can this speculative statement be put forward in litigation at this stage when they have no current means of proving it???

Kelly said the conclusion was made based on experience on previous incidents, dismissing the possibilities of hijacking or pilot suicide.

The lawsuit, soon to be filed, would seek millions of dollars of compensation for each passenger and ask Boeing to repair its entire 777 fleet.

liquidtmd

Banned
The lawsuits don't surprise me at all. This happens every time something like this happens. Anyone with money gets targeted, especially Boeing.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiana_Airlines_Flight_214#Lawsuits

I understand the need to legally review and for the relatives to seek possible financial recompense.

I understand the need to get the wheels in motion promptly as the legal system can be a slow moving beast.

I'm saddened and absolutely disgusted that Law Firms like this are allowed to push forward these actions when a TWENTY SIX COUNTRY SEARCH has been undertaken in the last two and a half weeks, no debris has at this point been confirmed, no underlying cause is remotely near to being established and hundreds of search teams are utilising planes, ships and satellite technology to pursue the truth.

Seriously - hundreds of men and women dedicating every hour of their day to diligently pursue and uncover facts that ascertain why the missing flight disappeared and a bunch of suits on the other side of the planet who stand to get a percentage of potential payouts get to push the Legal Action button. It's sick.

yogloo

I heard a conspiracy theory today. Here goes:
Malaysian government already knew about the disappearance early on because the pilot hijacked the plane. Basically he was negotiating the release of Anwar Ibrahim. Negotiation fell through and plane goes into the ocean.

Pandemic

Malaysian government already knew about the disappearance early on because the pilot hijacked the plane. Basically he was negotiating the release of Anwar Ibrahim. Negotiation fell through and plane goes into the ocean.

That's an interesting conspiracy theory... Anwar did get jailed on the day the pilot took flight, and reportedly went to Anwar's court sentencing earlier in the day.

But who turns suicidal and flies a plane with 200+ passengers, into the ocean because a bloke got sentenced to jail?

wapplew

At today’s press briefing, Hishammuddin Hussein - the acting transport minister who has become the face of the Malaysian effort to find the plane – said Malaysia deserved credit for arranging a joint search involving the world’s most sophisticated equipment from 26 countries.

10.49 He does, however, suggest that the Chinese families should stop blaming Malaysia and adopt a more "rational" response.

"Chinese families must understand that we in Malaysia have also lost loved ones. They have lost relatives all over the world. I have seen images from Australia that are very rational."

Is this really how they respond to the criticism? No one should say to themselves deserved credit in this kind of situation.
This will only add fuel to those family. Real bad move there.

Tugatrix

Make no sense, that would soon or later blow up in Malaysia government face, also I think the south Indian ocean is a black spot for communications

cameron

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10718181/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-live.html

09.33 Reuters reports that a U.S.-based law firm said it expects to represent families of more than half of the passengers on board the missing flight in a lawsuit against the carriers and Boeing Co , alleging the plane had crashed due to mechanical failure.

Ribbeck Law has filed a petition for discovery against Boeing and Malaysian Airlines.The focus of the case will be on Boeing, as they believe that the incident was caused by mechanical failure.

"Our theory of the case is that there was a failure of the equipment in the cockpit that may have caused a fire that rendered the crew unconscious, or perhaps because of the defects in the fuselage which had been reported before there was some loss in the cabin pressure that also made the pilot and co-pilot unconscious," Monica Kelly, head of Global Aviation Litigation at Ribbeck Law, said

"That plane was actually a ghost plane for several hours until it ran out of fuel."

Kelly said the conclusion was made based on experience on previous incidents, dismissing the possibilities of hijacking or pilot suicide.

The lawsuit, soon to be filed, would seek millions of dollars of compensation for each passenger and ask Boeing to repair its entire 777 fleet.

Seems kinda insane. Also gross. With so little data they've made a conclusion, citing mechanical failure, based on previous incidents?

The Air France 447 disappearance initially had ACARS transmissions to work with at least. Then partial wreckage a week later. Wrongful death suits didn't start pouring in until like 10 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom