• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
That makes no sense; if he doesn't want the black box data recovered he could just disable it like the Silk Air pilot. Dumping it in the middle of the ocean would be less effective (see AF447). Why would he care if the debris is hard to find?
Because we still know that the Silk Air pilot committed murder-suicide despite him having turned off the FDR and CVR. That's because the wreckage was recovered and analyzed.

Dryk

The data recorder is on a breaker because pretty much everything is. It's a safety concern.
To add to this, from an engineering perspective you never want to seal off electrical components that may catch fire or otherwise cause problems during flight. When designing a system like this you have to prioritse preventing accidents above preventing malicious acts.

Silk Air 185 and Egypt Air 990 freak me out big time. What kind of horrible human being do you have to be to kill 250-300 passengers?
If you're a pilot who wants to die, from a culture where suicide is so reviled then it's a very good way of making sure that nobody ever knows. If you look at the results it arguably worked.

MIMIC

Banned
Excellent, excellent write-up from Slate explaining the process Inmarsat used to calculate the path that the plane took. It pretty much breaks down everything, and shows that while their data is sound and pretty reliable, there are a few things that keeps it from being absolutely accurate.

I was definitely looking for something like this: something where both the verified data (the "known" evidence) as well as the assumptions (the "unknown" evidence) used to come up with the theory were laid plainly for all to see: http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...hed_in_the_southern_ocean_doppler_effect.html

liquidtmd

Banned
any upcoming press conferences announced?

Theres the daily one due in little under 2.5 hours at 5.30am Malay time but beyond 'the search is hampered by bad weather' and 'were still chasing debris seen on satellite from days ago', I wouldn't expect much.

https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/449001929805688833
Another article I read said this may happen in one to two days.

If the data shows the pilot practiced a simulation similar to the missing flight, it'll be damning circumstantial evidence against the pilot.

Random thinly related thought: Many on here have put forward a conspiracy that the pilot hijacked the plane and attempted to negotiation the release of a recently imprisoned political prisoner.

If the simulation does indeed show a route similar to the southern corridor, surely that conspiracy theory can also be put to bed. If you were hijacking a plane with negotiation / passenger leverage in mind - planning an endgame like that in advance makes zero sense (even in context of this whole incident making little sense period)

So the plane did crash, and didn't land on a secret terrorist landing strip like some folks in this thread said was basically a fact?

They totally had well informed sources for such conjecture

BjJIMbmCQAEAQwz.jpg:large

baphomet

So the plane did crash, and didn't land on a secret terrorist landing strip like some folks in this thread said was basically a fact?

Who would have thought?

Glad the families finally have some sort of closure now.

liquidtmd

Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10718181/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-live.html

11.50 Our technology reporter Sophie Curtis explains everything you need to know about the black box:

A 'black box' actually consists of two boxes – a cockpit voice recorder and a data recorder. The flight data recorder records a stream of flight information, while the cockpit voice recorder stores conversations and other noises made in the cockpit.

Each of the boxes is about the size of a shoe box and weighs around 10kg. They are made out of aluminium, and are designed to withstand massive impact, fierce fire or high pressure. Although the original flight recorders were painted black, the colour was changed to orange to make them easier to find by investigators.

The black box on Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is made by US firm Honeywell Aerospace. It is programmed to record cockpit communication on a two hour loop and delete all but the final two hours

11.40 "It is a little disheartening, you know this will be a difficult mission and you know it will go on for a very long time. But we've done similar work. So there is always hope for us and that's what keeps you going," explains New Zealand Royal Air Force Flight Leiutenant Stephen Graham, coordinator for New Zealand's search efforts at the Australian air force base in Perth

11.31 An international search team of 11 military and civilian aircraft and five ships had been heading for the search area today but severe weather forced the planes to turn back.

"The forecast in the area was calling for severe icing, severe turbulence and near-zero visibility," said Lieutenant Commander Adam Schantz, the officer in charge of the U.S. Navy Poseidon P8 maritime surveillance aircraft detachment.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority, which is coordinating the effort, confirmed flights had been called off but said ships continued to search despite battering waves.

"It's the nature of search and rescue. It's a fickle beast," Flying Officer Peter Moore, the captain of an Australian AP-3C Orion, told Reuters aboard the plane after it turned around 600 miles from the search zone.

10.11 This from our Beijing correspondent Malcolm Moore:

" Seven Chinese families have had £470,000 in payouts from China Life, the insurance company. China Life covered 32 passengers on board the plane."

09.55 The youngest son of MH370 pilot Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah has broken the family's silence. It is alleged that the pilot had orchestrated a suicide mission, causing the crashing of the plane.

However his son Ahmad Seth, 26 told the New Straights Times he knew his father well:

"I've read everything online. But I've ignored all the speculation. I know my father better.

"We may not be as close as he travels so much. But I understand him."

The family of Captain Shah have so far kept quiet since the plane disappeared on March 8.

09.40 Some of the objects captured in the images were estimated at up to 16 meters (52 feet) long. The images were taken by the Thaichote satellite on Monday, took two days to process and were relayed to Malaysian authorities on Wednesday according to AFP.

09.35 The Thai satellite photos which captured 200 objects were taken on March 24, the day after French satellite images showed 122 objects in a 400-square kilometer area.

09.25 Chinese families have been heavily critical of the Malaysian search effort, but now relatives of other nations are also speaking out. The sister of New Zealand victim Paul Weeks criticised the response:

"The whole situation has been handled appallingly, incredibly insensitively," Sara Weeks told Radio Live in New Zealand.

"The Malaysian government, the airline, it's just all been incredibly poor."

09.23 Thailand faced criticism early on in the search after announcing more than a week after the jet's disappearance that its radar had picked up an "unknown aircraft" minutes after flight MH370 last transmitted its location.

The Thai air force said it did not report the findings earlier as the plane was not considered a threat.

The objects were spotted about 200 kilometres away from an area where French satellite images earlier showed potential objects in the search for the Boeing 777 which vanished on March 8 with 239 people aboard.

09.03 The information has been given to Malaysia. The pictures were taken by Thailand's only earth observation satellite on Monday but will need several days to process.

08.59 The director of the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency Anond Snidvongs, told AFP: "But we cannot - dare not - confirm they are debris from the plane,"

08.40 Thai satellite images have shown 300 floating objects in the southern Indian Ocean.

The objects, ranging from 6.5 to 50ft in size, were scattered over an area about 1,680 miles southwest of Perth, according to the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency.

liquidtmd

Banned
Separate from my above post as interesting additions

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10718181/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-live.html

Latest

12.40 New York Magazine says that there is an emerging consensus that MH370 became a "ghost plane," flying until it ran out of fuel. they have detailed five case studies of ghost flights

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...-flight-5-case-studies.html?mid=twitter_nymag

12.25 CNN have estimated how much the families of those on flight MH370 will be paid

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/25/news/companies/malaysia-airlines-compensation/

12.15 A handout image released by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), in Canberra, Australia, on 27 March 2014 shows the search areas off Australia's west coast where 11 planes and five ships search for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370:

EPA/AMSA

12.00 Yesterday FBI Director James Comey told members of Congress that his investigators should finish in a day or two their analysis of electronics owned by the pilot and co-pilot, work that includes trying to recover files deleted from a home flight simulator used by Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah.

11.55 The black box automatically deletes all but the last few hours of recordings because it is normally the last section of a flight that determines the cause of a crash. However in the case of flight MH370 investigators may need to piece together more than just the final part of the flight, says Sophie Curtis:

"In the case of the MH370, it is thought that the crucial moment for understanding the flight revolves around the period during which its communications systems were disabled and it took a sharp turn westward before flying silently for about seven hours.

Although the flight data will have survived, the discussion in the cockpit immediately after the flight lost contact with air traffic control will have been overwritten, unless power to the recorder was lost at the same time."

jimi_dini

This is pretty strange:

http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big...res-sealed-evidence-mh370-cannot-be-made-publ

BEIJING - A Malaysian team have told relatives of Chinese passengers on board the missing Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 that there was sealed evidence that cannot be made public, as they came under fire from the angry relatives at a briefing on Wednesday.

The sealed evidence included air traffic control radio transcript, radar data and airport security recordings.

wat

The Chinese relatives were told that a five-member high-level team from Malaysia plans to brief them once every five days. The team include MAS pilot Lim Jit Koon and senior civil aviation official Ahmad Nizar Zolfakar.

During the question-and-answer session, a relative said: "Thanks for demonstrating your ability to read every word out of the powerpoint slides."

Coins

Banned
I heard on a podcast today that a pilot friend of the pilot gave an interview in Malaysia within the last 24 hours and said the doomed pilot confided in him that his wife was leaving him because he got caught with another woman.

sangreal

I heard on a podcast today that a pilot friend of the pilot gave an interview in Malaysia within the last 24 hours and said the doomed pilot confided in him that his wife was leaving him because he got caught with another woman.

Pretty sure I read a week or two ago that they were separated but still living together

coldfoot

Banned
Err if there is no concrete proof then how do you know that it was the pilot's intention?
The plane did not fly to the middle of the Indian ocean on its own.
The plane did not turn off ACARS on its own
You'd need a pilot who is intimate with the plane to program the AP that way and turn off ACARS and CVR.
The plane flew for 7 hours so there wasn't an emergency that required that particular set of actions.
Put 2 and 2 together...

akaoni

Banned
Yanno if he he took the plane all that way, couldn't one of the passengers have made a phone call along the way or would there be no reception?

The plane did not fly to the middle of the Indian ocean on its own.
The plane did not turn off ACARS on its own
You'd need a pilot who is intimate with the plane to program the AP that way and turn off ACARS and CVR.
The plane flew for 7 hours so there wasn't an emergency that required that particular set of actions.
Put 2 and 2 together...

I'd rather wait for concrete facts but I know what you are getting at.

This is pretty strange:

http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big...res-sealed-evidence-mh370-cannot-be-made-publ
BEIJING - A Malaysian team have told relatives of Chinese passengers on board the missing Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 that there was sealed evidence that cannot be made public, as they came under fire from the angry relatives at a briefing on Wednesday.

The sealed evidence included air traffic control radio transcript, radar data and airport security recordings.
Is this likely from a military installation or are there any reasons given why the evidence is sealed? I'm assuming its under the blanket of Malaysian national security but have they commented specifically to this?

I wouldn't have thought a car-like GPS tracker system would cost much to implement.

Place it within the black box or hide it elsewhere in the plane and upgrade it to survive a crash and deep water and just switch it on as and when a plane crashes or goes "missing".

Too simple?

It would suffer the same problems with any signal at the bottom of the sea.

BunnyBear

So this seems to throw even more doubt on the accuracy of the Immarsat data.

The ABC is reporting further calculations have concluded the plane was flying faster than previously thought, meaning it used more fuel and would have crashed considerably short of where the were looking.

What an all-round balls up.

luoapp

So this seems to throw even more doubt on the accuracy of the Immarsat data.

The ABC is reporting further calculations have concluded the plane was flying faster than previously thought, meaning it used more fuel and would have crashed considerably short of where the were looking.

What an all-round balls up.

Except it has nothing to do with Immarsat data, "The dramatic shift in the search area was based on analysis of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said. "

numble

Except it has nothing to do with Immarsat data, "The dramatic shift in the search area was based on analysis of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said. "
The prior search area was based on Immarsat data.

BunnyBear

What? The area they've been searching for much of the last week was pinpointed by Immarsat data. It now seems to have been inaccurate.

This new data alleges the plane crashed almost 1100km north of where the Immarsat data had indicated.

greepoman

What? The area they've been searching for much of the last week was pinpointed by Immarsat data. It now seems to have been inaccurate.

This new data alleges the plane crashed almost 1100km north of where the Immarsat data had indicated.

It was never "pinpointed" by Immarsat data. They assumed a speed. The only thing that was really determined was that due to the wobble of the satellite's orbit you can infer from the doppler that it took the southern path. Depending on the speed you can end up with different end points that fit the same data.

luoapp

but it's not Immarsat's fault. One of the inputs to Immarsat data analysis model is the fly speed, which was estimated from the ground radar data when the plane was still monitored, and now it seems the speed was underestimated. With the new faster fly speed, the Immarsat model gave a new crash location north to the old one. The Immarsat's data and the model did the job, twice. Will it lead use to the plane? we don't know yet, but so far, nothing says it's incorrect. Also keep in mind, Immarsat is not only the best estimation we have for the second half of the flight, it's actually the only one.

BunnyBear

Point being, the Immarsat data was used to narrow down a certain search area (admittedly still a huge section of the ocean), an area which they focused their attention on for almost a week.

Now, it seems one of the key reasons why they couldn't find anything is because they were looking in the wrong spot.

BunnyBear

but it's not Immarsat's fault. One of the inputs to Immarsat data analysis model is the fly speed, which was estimated from the ground radar data when the plane was still monitored, and now it seems the speed was underestimated. With the new faster fly speed, the Immarsat model gave a new crash location north to the old one. The Immarsat's data and the model did the job, twice. Will it lead use to the plane? we don't know yet, but so far, nothing says it's incorrect. Also keep in mind, Immarsat is not only the best estimation we have for the second half of the flight, it's actually the only one.

Where did I say it was their fault? I just said their data was initially inaccurate, due to an underestimation of air speed. Paint it how you like, the initial data used to narrow down a search area now seems to be flawed.

luoapp

Where did I say it was their fault? I just said their data was initially inaccurate, due to an underestimation of air speed. Paint it how you like, the initial data used to narrow down a search area now seems to be flawed.

Try to answer this question, what the searching scope will be if we don't have Immarsat data?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

No. The only thing that changed is that they got other info telling them the plane didn't have as much fuel. The info from Immarsat is still correct as far as we know.

BunnyBear

We wouldn't have wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on a wild goose chase in the Indian Ocean? That would be my flippant response.

Really though, why are you so defensive in regards to Immarsat? I don't believe I've once seriously denigrated the company. I just said the data looks likely to be flawed.

What is the issue with that observation?

Dryk

I just said the data looks likely to be flawed.
Their data/model is fine, just susceptible to GIGO with regards to the airspeed data. They've admitted as much since the very beginning.

They could've made a locus of possible end points depending on average speed from the start but people would still have to pick one and it still probably would've been the one that assumed that the speed didn't change.

luoapp

We wouldn't have wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on a wild goose chase in the Indian Ocean? That would be my flippant response.

Really though, why are you so defensive in regards to Immarsat? I don't believe I've once seriously denigrated the company. I just said the data looks likely to be flawed.

No, we probably wasted 100 times more, since the search will be spread from South China sea to Maldive, easily 100 times larger without Immarsat's analysis.

Why am I defending Immarsat? Idk, because someone is wrong? or, because Neogaf needs to have defense force for everything?

MIMIC

Banned
No. The only thing that changed is that they got other info telling them the plane didn't have as much fuel. The info from Immarsat is still correct as far as we know.

Because, according to the new data, the plane was flying faster than Inmarsat assumed (which was a complete guess anyway).

If this new data is to be believed, their complete guess was, well, wrong.

Totakeke

A guess of the flight speed is... a guess. I don't think anyone ever came out and said, this is definitely the correct flight speed, and no one else claimed otherwise until this recent update.

So to say they're wrong has to imply that they insisted they were correct in the first place.

syllogism

I doubt anyone is invested in defending Immarsat, but rather the science and the data behind the conclusion that the plane crashed in the Indian Ocean. They stated from the beginning that small changes in the assumed flight speed and fuel would shift the search area hundreds of miles, but the conclusion would remain the same - it crashed in the Indian Ocean. Why exactly does the data "look likely to be flawed"?

BunnyBear

A guess of the flight speed is... a guess. I don't think anyone ever came out and said, this is definitely the correct flight speed, and no one else claimed otherwise until this recent update.

So to say they're wrong has to imply that they insisted they were correct in the first place.

Never said they were wrong, said it looks to have been inaccurate. Given we've found bugger all so far, and that the search has now been shifted north by a massive margin, I'd say that's fair.

fallout

I think the issue is more the angle that you're approaching it from. Better airspeed estimations help the Immarsat data. That doesn't make it flawed, but rather prone to inaccuracy due to airspeed uncertainty.

The process here is about gathering more data and refining as much as possible. You work with what you've got until you get something better. If you get more data, you go back and refine. It's unfortunate that refining can be on the order of thousands of kilometers, but that's the situation they're in.

BunnyBear

No, we probably wasted 100 times more, since the search will be spread from South China sea to Maldive, easily 100 times larger without Immarsat's analysis.

Why am I defending Immarsat? Idk, because someone is wrong? or, because Neogaf needs to have defense force for everything?

Your logic seems to be that because Immarsat data is the best we have so far, it deserves respect.

I'd contend that the data has been entirely unhelpful so far, insomuch as we have yet to find a thing.

The method behind the data is incredibly ingenious, complex and fascinating. Doesn't mean it's accurate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom