• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogloo

Another thing about the conspiracy theory is that US and China already knew about it. They can't say anything about it because that would be admitting espionage.

liquidtmd

Banned
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26748146

_73818664_plane.png

scrapple

Neo Member
Is this really how they respond to the criticism? No one should say to themselves deserved credit in this kind of situation.
This will only add fuel to those family. Real bad move there.

I agree. This is going to flame the situation more.

The family's are already very emotional at the moment. Why add fuel to the fire?

Again, poor handling from the Malaysian government.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just want to find something physical and measurable that confirms the data suggesting it crashed into the South Indian Ocean. Regardless of data accuracy, it will help all parties involved, and those mourning, if there's something physically substantial that the plane was there more than words and numbers. Fingers crossed that day comes.

Finaika

I just want to find something physical and measurable that confirms the data suggesting it crashed into the South Indian Ocean. Regardless of data accuracy, it will help all parties involved, and those mourning, if there's something physically substantial that the plane was there more than words and numbers. Fingers crossed that day comes.

Indeed.

liquidtmd

Banned
So if this is it, what happened?

How would the plane end up on that course?

Did you not hear? Forget the investigators and hard working search and rescue, the Lawyers half way round the world from the crash site have solved this one and are going after Boeing for Mechanical Failure.

Yes. Mechanical Failure. That wraps that up. Until the hard working search and rescue and scores of investigators do the donkey work. At which point the Lawyers will go "YEAH. We didn't mean mechanical failure. We TOTALLY meant that. We're suing you for that. Whatever it is".

Indeed.

So mechanical fault allowed the plane to fly for seven hours with no deviation?
It is obvious the pilot was on a suicide mission. He probably killed the co pilot, switched everything off and flew into the ocean where the plane would be impossible to find.

It must have been a horror ride for the passengers. Seeing nothing but water from the windows and then diving into the ocean

Fuck

JonnyBrad

Seems kinda insane. Also gross. With so little data they've made a conclusion, citing mechanical failure, based on previous incidents?

The Air France 447 disappearance initially had ACARS transmissions to work with at least. Then partial wreckage a week later. Wrongful death suits didn't start pouring in until like 10 months later.

The lawyers do it because they know at some point Boeing will settle.

Have a Google for silk air 185. The pilot flew it into the ground like a dart and they still managed to extract money out of the rudder manufacturer for a really spurious mechanical failure.

goomba

Banned
I heard a conspiracy theory today. Here goes:
Malaysian government already knew about the disappearance early on because the pilot hijacked the plane. Basically he was negotiating the release of Anwar Ibrahim. Negotiation fell through and plane goes into the ocean.

this actually seems plausible

liquidtmd

Banned
this actually seems plausible

As conspiracy theories go, it is.

If its true though, I don't believe they'd be able to cover that up indefinitely. And if exposed that they did have prior knowledge....we're talking serious ramifications. China would destroy them. China are politically angry enough at them and thats just on the basis the plane is gone.

Finaika

As conspiracy theories go, it is.

If its true though, I don't believe they'd be able to cover that up indefinitely. And if exposed that they did have prior knowledge....we're talking serious ramifications. China would destroy them. China are politically angry enough at them and thats just on the basis the plane is gone.

China would launch missiles to Malaysia?

liquidtmd

Banned
China would launch missiles to Malaysia?

No. Maybe 'destroy' is too harsh a word and as someone mentioned earlier, if this conspiracy is accurate then theres the question of awareness of other Governments awareness based on Counter Intelligence and Surveillance efforts - China included.

But on the (admittedly remote at this stage) premise that the above is true and China weren't aware the Malay authorities were fully aware of a pilot hijack for political reasons: then we're talking a destruction of relations between the countries for a decade or more.

Why would they keep something like that hidden though? Makes little sense.

It'd severely damage the opposition leader.

The thing with these conspiracy theories is that they're very good at bringing up speculative 'what' scenarios, but also quite poor at explaining 'why'.

sangreal

What a coincidence that in this case the pilots chose to direct the aircraft to the remotest region possible, turned off all equipment that would let them be found, before they ran out of oxygen...

I did not say they ran out of oxygen, I am just showing that there is nothing absurd about the idea that a plane could continue flying on its own for hours after an emergency. As for the rest, you're inserting your unfounded belief that everything was a deliberate action. Yet your theory that every action was deliberate holds even less water than the 'coincidence' that the planes last action was to set a heading to the middle of nowhere -- none of those actions you mention are necessary or even helpful to crash the plane

coldfoot

Banned
I did not say they ran out of oxygen, I am just showing that there is nothing absurd about the idea that a plane could continue flying on its own for hours after an emergency. As for the rest, you're inserting your unfounded belief that everything was a deliberate action. Yet your theory that every action was deliberate holds even less water than the 'coincidence' that the planes last action was to set a heading to the middle of nowhere -- none of those actions you mention are necessary or even helpful to crash the plane
The actions I mention are consistent with someone who wants to commit suicide but doesn't want the rest of the world to find out, due to the stigma associated with suicide in certain countries, and the stigma of taking 200+ other people with you.

Slime

Banned
Seems that Maldives news outlet has consulted with some experts, who seem to agree that object resembles a fire suppression bottle:

http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54178

Weird!

It would be so bizarre if they were looking in the completely wrong place. I don't think they are, but this is a strange coincidence. Maybe it's just not what it looks like...?

Seems that Maldives news outlet has consulted with some experts, who seem to agree that object resembles a fire suppression bottle:

http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54178

Weird!

It would be so bizarre if they were looking in the completely wrong place. I don't think they are, but this is a strange coincidence. Maybe it's just not what it looks like...?
Yes, that is odd. Especially since that is near the area that a "low flying jumbo jet" was reported by fisherman and residents...

EDIT - from the article it sounds like they may be able to tie that to a type of plane (if it is turns out to be an aircraft fire suppression bottle). You would think that we would hear more on this soon.

-- It's not obvious at all. There's already WAY too much speculation.

it is very obvious IMO

he switched off the acars
he switched off the tcas
no communication from the plane after passing Malaysian fly zone
turned the plane around and crashed it in the ocean where it would be difficult to find.

it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he also shut off the cockpit voice recorder.

luoapp

Yes, that is odd. Especially since that is near the area that a "low flying jumbo jet" was reported by fisherman and residents...

EDIT - from the article it sounds like they may be able to tie that to a type of plane (if it is turns out to be an aircraft fire suppression bottle). You would think that we would hear more on this soon.

There will be serial number on the thing and shouldn't be too difficult to track down or rule out (from MH370 ).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
it is very obvious IMO

he switched off the acars
he switched off the tcas
no communication from the plane after passing Malaysian fly zone
turned the plane around and crashed it in the ocean where it would be difficult to find.

it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he also shut off the cockpit voice recorder.

SOMEONE did, but there is absolutely no way to know with the info given if it was the pilot, the co-pilot, or a hijacker.

SOMEONE did, but there is absolutely no way to know with the info given if it was the pilot, the co-pilot, or a hijacker.

how hard is it to storm the cockpit now? Anyone know? I am just saying it was the pilot cause he switched everything off including the acars. A highjacker wouldn't care about acars imo.

There will be serial number on the thing and shouldn't be too difficult to track down or rule out (from MH370 ).
I don't know how these work but if these things are dropped from the plane after they are discharged, maybe it came from this plane: http://avherald.com/h?article=471fb36a&opt=0

I assume someone can confirm this rather quickly if they look up the serial number though.

EDIT - NVM about the plane in the link above. It was no where near the Maldives.

luoapp

I don't know how these work but if these things are dropped from the plane after they are discharged, maybe it came from this plane: http://avherald.com/h?article=471fb36a&opt=0

I assume someone can confirm this rather quickly if they look up the serial number though.

EDIT - NVM about the plane in the link above. It was no where near the Maldives.

Wondering how long before someone come up a conspiracy theory linking these two together...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
It is obvious the pilot was on a suicide mission. He probably killed the co pilot, switched everything off and flew into the ocean where the plane would be impossible to find.

It must have been a horror ride for the passengers. Seeing nothing but water from the windows and then diving into the ocean

Fuck
what was wrong with the ocean he was above before the plane turned?

i mean, if you're gonna take a dive one ocean seems as good as another. if he's going to kill himself, why bother with the 7 hours of flight.

Pungza

how hard is it to storm the cockpit now? Anyone know? I am just saying it was the pilot cause he switched everything off including the acars. A highjacker wouldn't care about acars imo.

The BBC touched on this in an article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26671224 -

3. Is a hijack scenario even possible?
....Airliners have been fitted with strengthened flight deck doors - intended to prevent intruders from taking control - since 9/11. David Learmount, safety editor at Flight International magazine, says they are "bulletproof" and "couldn't be penetrated with an axe".
...."Even if the door was being broken down, they wouldn't be able to get in before there'd been a mayday call, unless the pilots were incapacitated," she says.

what was wrong with the ocean he was above before the plane turned?

i mean, if you're gonna take a dive one ocean seems as good as another. if he's going to kill himself, why bother with the 7 hours of flight.

cause he wanted to hide the plane, make it difficult to find and make it difficult to recover the black box. the guy had it all planned out. The indian ocean where the plane crashed is much deeper and more hostile compared to the south china sea where it disappeared

The BBC touched on this in an article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26671224 -

so much for hijackers

sangreal

cause he wanted to hide the plane, make it difficult to find and make it difficult to recover the black box. the guy had it all planned out. The indian ocean where the plane crashed is much deeper and more hostile compared to the south china sea where it disappeared

That makes no sense; if he doesn't want the black box data recovered he could just disable it like the Silk Air pilot. Dumping it in the middle of the ocean would be less effective (see AF447). Why would he care if the debris is hard to find?

That makes no sense; if he doesn't want the black box data recovered he could just disable it like the Silk Air pilot. Dumping it in the middle of the ocean would be less effective (see AF447). Why would he care if the debris is hard to find?

the silk air guy only disabled the cockpit voice recorder. you can't disable the black box.

Milchmann

Is there somewhere an explanation how Inmarsat could exclude the north corridor? I understand the stuff about the pings and doppler effect, but in theory the signals of the north and south route should be identical. So what helped to differentiate between the north and south corridor? Did they use the satellite drift or does the antenna of the satellite receive signals from the northern and southern hemisphere somehow differently?

luoapp

Is there somewhere an explanation how Inmarsat could exclude the north corridor? I understand the stuff about the pings and doppler effect, but in theory the signals of the north and south route should be identical. So what helped to differentiate between the north and south corridor? Did they use the satellite drift or does the antenna of the satellite receive signals from the northern and southern hemisphere somehow differently?
With doppler effect, you can deduce the speed and direction from the signal. So if at all the available transmission points, the plane was flying south at a somewhat constant speed and direction, then it's very likely the plane took the south route ( and ended up at the south end of it, where they are searching now).

Air France: they knew pretty much exactly where it went down, water was 3x as shallow, still took TWO YEARS to find the black box

If they do find the black box for this flight, it won't be in our lifetimes

Milchmann

With doppler effect, you can deduce the speed and direction from the signal. So if at all the available transmission points, the plane was flying south at a somewhat constant speed and direction, then it's very likely the plane took the south route ( and ended up at the south end of it, where they are searching now).

You can deduce the speed (actually just one component) using the frequency change, but how can you deduce the direction?

KHarvey16

I have seen the documentary a couple of times and i am sure he only disabled the cvr

I cant believe you can disble the black box, that sounds foolish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilkAir_Flight_185

Tsu's announcement ended at 15:46. At 16:05, 19 minutes later, the CVR stopped recording. Six minutes later, at 16:11, the FDR stopped recording, and at 16:12 the aircraft plunged into its fatal dive.

The cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder stopped recording minutes before the abrupt descent, but not at the same time.

The data recorder is on a breaker because pretty much everything is. It's a safety concern.

BunnyBear

We still have no proof that it crashed into the Indian Ocean. Sure, we have the Immarsat analysis that is quite likely accurate considering how much work went into it, but even that is still working on assumptions of air speed. Not hard evidence.

There's a decent possibility they're looking in the wrong spot.

Milchmann

Not the direction per se. From what I've read, they assumed a constant speed of 450knots or 500knots at a fixed direction ( that's why you have two tracks each way on the original plot).

The radial speed of the north tracks does not match the doppler shift.

Thanks. The second image was new to me. I found the original press release and there are the essential information.

So they used the satellite motion, as I assumed. My remote sensing courses weren't useless after all.

Ty4on

Thanks for clearing that up. So this is looking like a copy-cat case of Silk Air 185. I am betting this guy also disabled both :(

We will never learn what happened in the cockpit

If both were shut down when the transponder was shut down then that is evidence in itself. In Silk Air it pretty much proved that the captain took the plane down on purpose.

If both were shut down when the transponder was shut down then that is evidence in itself. In Silk Air it pretty much proved that the captain took the plane down on purpose.
Silk Air 185 and Egypt Air 990 freak me out big time. What kind of horrible human being do you have to be to kill 250-300 passengers?

There was another case in the US. The Fed Ex employee, tried to kill two pilots and a flight engineer. He had a hammer and a harpoon gun on him. That case was batshit insane! The pilots still managed to land the plane.

edit atc audio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o0KnrK1pCY

I highly recommend you guys watch the Mayday episode of fedex 705. amazing episode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom