• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
A guess of the flight speed is... a guess. I don't think anyone ever came out and said, this is definitely the correct flight speed, and no one else claimed otherwise until this recent update.

So to say they're wrong has to imply that they insisted they were correct in the first place.

So because it's a guess, it can't be wrong? That's great news to conspiracy theorists.

Wrong means "not right." No implication needed.

BunnyBear

I think the issue is more the angle that you're approaching it from. Better airspeed estimations help the Immarsat data. That doesn't make it flawed, but rather prone to inaccuracy due to airspeed uncertainty.

The process here is about gathering more data and refining as much as possible. You work with what you've got until you get something better. If you get more data, you go back and refine. It's unfortunate that refining can be on the order of thousands of kilometers, but that's the situation they're in.

Fair point. I can see what you mean when you say I may be approaching it from the wrong angle.

luoapp

Your logic seems to be that because Immarsat data is the best we have so far, it deserves respect.

I'd contend that the data has been entirely unhelpful so far, insomuch as we have yet to find a thing.

The method behind the data is incredibly ingenious, complex and fascinating. Doesn't mean it's accurate though.

So eventually, there will be one guy on one ship threw a hook and catch the first piece from MH370, so everybody else is unhelpful and doesn't deserve respect? What kind of logic is that?

MIMIC

Banned
There are varying levels of accuracy involved in work like this. Why are you being so absolute?

I'd rather not get into a semantics argument. Regardless of their "varying level of accuracy", their data allowed for satellites and search teams to focus on things completely unrelated to the disappearance of this plane.

And it's quite possible that this new information may be just as wrong.

Totakeke

I'd rather not get into a semantics argument. Regardless of their "varying level of accuracy", their data allowed for satellites and search teams to focus on things completely unrelated to the disappearance of this plane.

And it's quite possible that this new information may be just as wrong.

There's a big difference between they guessed wrongly and they were proven wrong by something they're sure of.

Sure it's possible that the new information may be wrong, oh my, let's just give up then! It could be another waste of resources.

Not sure what you're trying to reach for here.

Chinner

Banned
don't YOU understand? there's no evidence.

there is no evidence that proves that the plane crashed in this part of the ocean at all. this proves that this this will organised by obama, who was suffering with too much focus from the media from his poor handling of russia/ukrainec crisis. clearly, obama in conjunction with the malayasia government (who needs more media attention to drive up tourism) purposefully hijacked this plane and taken it to a australian military base. the australianas are currently brainwashing and training the chinese citizens to become suicide bombers so that china has a crisis from within thus giving obama a political edge when it comes to his relationship with china.

lj167

there is no evidence that proves that the plane crashed in this part of the ocean at all. this proves that this this will organised by obama, who was suffering with too much focus from the media from his poor handling of russia/ukrainec crisis. clearly, obama in conjunction with the malayasia government (who needs more media attention to drive up tourism) purposefully hijacked this plane and taken it to a australian military base. the australianas are currently brainwashing and training the chinese citizens to become suicide bombers so that china has a crisis from within thus giving obama a political edge when it comes to his relationship with china.

makes sense.

xkramz

Bold statement.

But if true. This isn't the first time the US government use the media to sidetrack misinformed and easily brainwashed people

MIMIC

Banned
New radar analysis prompts shift in search zone
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — Australian officials shifted their search for the missing Malaysian jetliner by nearly 700 miles, citing "a new credible lead'' about the path of the aircraft and where debris may be located.

Martin Dolan, chief commissioner of the Australian Air Transport Safety Bureau, said a revised analysis of radar data prompted the agency to refocus the search in the Indian Ocean off Perth. The analysis indicates that the plane was flying faster than previously estimated between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca before radar contact was lost, Dolan said.

Based on that new speed data, analysts calculated increased fuel usage and a reduced distance the aircraft could have covered with power.

The new search area is approximately 198,000 square miles in size and 1,150 miles west of Perth, John Young, manager of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority's emergency response division said. The move, about 685 miles to the northeast of the previous search area, was based on updated advice from an international investigation team working with the search, Young said.

The new location is also based on an assessment by Australian experts, the United States Coast Guard and commercial companies that took into account the weather and the drift any wreckage would be expected to have taken in the 21 days since the plane went missing.

All of these calculations are best estimates and, "will remain a somewhat inexact science," Dolan cautioned.
More at USA Today

liquidtmd

Banned
In regards to the Immarsat data, you do realise that due to the unusual situation of all other normal tracking methods being unavailable they pretty much had nothing to work with bar a couple of pings spread hours apart and a final partial handshake.

Its not a case a defending them, they've provided what is reasonably expectable given the circumstances if you understand the technology and limitations of the situation. The 'but they've not found the plaaaaane yet based on it so what good is it' is an odd argument. The hundreds of men and women diligently looking 24/7 at sea currently haven't found it yet either - should they stop trying until they work out where to look? Are they to blame? Do they need defending?

No country has any idea where the plane went down so Immarsat gave their best guess given the limited Intel. That's all they can do.

MIMIC

Banned
Oh wow. The families were briefed on the new news and most of them just got up and walked out.

This has got to be beyond brutal for them thus far.

EDIT: The journalist there said the walk-out was "clearly pre-planned"....

Oh wow. The families were briefed on the new news and most of them just got up and walked out.

EDIT: The journalist there said the walk-out was "clearly pre-planned"..

Proof of the families being actors?!

This is all a hoax perpetrated by the reptilian royal secret service from Eta Triangulis V!

effzee

You might never get them in this case, which was most likely the pilot's intention.

I keep hearing this and I am not dismissing pilot suicide for personal reasons or even terrorism BUT why in the world would he want to leave a mystery behind if he wanted to kill himself? And especially if he wanted to commit a terrorist act?

If he wanted to kill himself and take the plane down why wouldn't the ocean/location around the original flight path be any less feasible?

I don't get why anyone would want to leave a mystery behind? What's the point in that?

graywords

I keep hearing this and I am not dismissing pilot suicide for personal reasons or even terrorism BUT why in the world would he want to leave a mystery behind if he wanted to kill himself? And especially if he wanted to commit a terrorist act?

If he wanted to kill himself and take the plane down why wouldn't the ocean/location around the original flight path be any less feasible?

I don't get why anyone would want to leave a mystery behind? What's the point in that?

If they can't prove a suicide, maybe his family will get insurance money?

Honestly, I'm still leaning towards fire/accident. Sad that we may never know for sure.

pj

Banned

EDIT: The journalist there said the walk-out was "clearly pre-planned"....

I know they're grieving and all but what is a walkout supposed to do? Do they think people aren't trying their best to find the plane?

I like this theory. It makes perfect sense. Good job chinner

liquidtmd

Banned
I know they're grieving and all but what is a walkout supposed to do? Do they think people aren't trying their best to find the plane?

It may be in response to this

BEIJING - A Malaysian team have told relatives of Chinese passengers on board the missing Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 that there was sealed evidence that cannot be made public, as they came under fire from the angry relatives at a briefing on Wednesday.

The sealed evidence included air traffic control radio transcript, radar data and airport security recordings.

I'd like to think I'd appreciate the large scale efforts to find the plane and obvious delicate nature of Governmental information flow, but if I'd lost love ones and was told theres something other than full disclosure I imagine I'd be pretty pissed too.

Your logic seems to be that because Immarsat data is the best we have so far, it deserves respect.

I'd contend that the data has been entirely unhelpful so far, insomuch as we have yet to find a thing.

The method behind the data is incredibly ingenious, complex and fascinating. Doesn't mean it's accurate though.
It is entirely accurate.

If you wanted to find out what 4 + 4 equals using a calculator but mistakenly put in 5 + 4 the answer is would give would be 9.

The answer is accurate, but it isn't the answer you're looking for because the input was wrong.

So, just like your attempted use of a calculator, the maths behind their workings is entirely sound and accurate but the input was wrong, but in their scenario was 'correct' at the time to the best of all parties involved knowledge.

I think you're mixing the accuracy in terms of where the plane actually is, to the accuracy of their calculations and equations.

They are two different things.

The new area is still based off their workings - but with better input.

coldfoot

Banned

So that no one knows they've killed themselves, especially in a culture where suicide is a huge sin and would have a bad stigma not just on himself, but his family as well?

effzee

So that no one knows they've killed themselves, especially in a culture where suicide is a huge sin and would have a bad stigma not just on himself, but his family as well?

And this mystery surrounding his death isn't already a huge stigma on him, his family, and his country?

Nah doesn't make sense. If you have decided to commit suicide by taking a whole plane down killing 200+ innocents along with you, you are way beyond the point of caring about "stigma" that your family might deal with.

syllogism

And this mystery surrounding his death isn't already a huge stigma on him, his family, and his country?

Nah doesn't make sense. If you have decided to commit suicide by taking a whole plane down killing 200+ innocents along with you, you are way beyond the point of caring about "stigma" that your family might deal with.
SilkAir Flight 185

syllogism

Egypt Air 990 as well. In that case the co pilot wanted to kill the guy who demoted him
My point being that the SilkAir pilot made attempts to complicate the investigation by disabling CVR and FDR. He also presumably thought that the black boxes might not survive the impact.

MIMIC

Banned
More crap implicated to be plane debris found!

Five out of 10 aircraft hunting for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 found objects of various colors Friday, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said. It said it was not clear whether the objects were from the plane, and photos of them would be analyzed overnight.

AMSA said the items included two rectangular objects that were blue and grey — among the colors of the missing plane. A Chinese patrol ship in the area will attempt to locate the objects on Saturday, it said.

The three-week hunt for the jet has been filled with possible sightings, with hundreds of objects identified by satellite and others by plane, but so far not a single piece of debris has been confirmed.

Australian officials said they turned away from the old search area, which they had combed for a week, because a new analysis of radar data suggests the plane had flown faster and therefore ran out of fuel more quickly than previously estimated. The new area is closer to land and has calmer weather than the old one, which will make searching easier.

"We have moved on" from the old search area, said John Young, manager of AMSA's emergency response division.

The radar data that was re-analyzed was received soon after Flight 370 lost communications and veered from its scheduled path March 8. The Beijing-bound flight carrying 239 people turned around soon after taking off from Kuala Lumpur, flew west toward the Strait of Malacca and disappeared from radar.
MSN News

If this new area is more likely to be where the plane crashed, does that mean the hundreds of pieces of debris they spotted over the past few days in the first area just show that the oceans are incredibly dirty?

GHG

Gold Member
If this new area is more likely to be where the plane crashed, does that mean the hundreds of pieces of debris they spotted over the past few days in the first area just show that the oceans are incredibly dirty?

Apparently it's in an area that's a popular shipping route.

I for one am not convinced that anyone has a clue where this plane is at the moment.

Apparently it's in an area that's a popular shipping route.

I for one am not convinced that anyone has a clue where this plane is at the moment.
They don't, but they are trying. In the end, we may not find it until a random boat floats by some wreckage months from now. It's a bigass ocean and who knows what additional course changes or speed changes may have occurred at the end that could be putting these searches off by hundreds or thousands of miles. With limited search time due to fuel capacity, I have 0 expectations something will be found anytime soon.

CNN showed a recent time lapse of currents in the Indian Ocean this morning and from the look of it, even if they find something floating from the plane, parts of the plane may be scattered around a large area. The currents were all over the place going in every direction.

I do hope they at least find a part of the plane so that the families can have a little bit of closure. I have a feeling that it will take a long time before a definitive explanation can be made though.

Guevara

Man it's going to be so weird when the search is officially cancelled and we just never know what happened. I guess there is still some mystery in the world.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Probably dumb... But why doesn't a country send a carrier out there for fuel purposes at least?

Because a carrier requires a fleet of follower ships and you'd be deploying them and their thousands of crew out into the middle of one of the least strategic parts of the globe.

numble

Are you kidding me with this stuff? Twenty six countries are / were involved.

Seriously? Mods please.
The US did pull the 7th fleet from spending more time because they thought it was "inefficient." I think they have 1 plane searching now. This search is costing millions.

It's also unlikely that China would be spending so many millions and having the largest search force if it didn't have so many Chinese on board.

liquidtmd

Banned
The US did pull the 7th fleet from spending more time because they thought it was "inefficient." I think they have 1 plane searching now. This search is costing millions.

It's also unlikely that China would be spending so many millions and having the largest search force if it didn't have so many Chinese on board.

Aprreciate that - but as you imply there's more than America that has the capacity to search. If it were nearer American soil I don't doubt an equal number of countries would offer support. Territory and nationality just isn't relevant here.

Its in a distinctly non-American place to search - so the snarky 'he he American comments' aren't appreciated. I equally appreciate GAF will occasionally make black humoured comments to which I also do. Its just that one wasn't funny.

numble

Aprreciate that - but as you imply there's more than America that has the capacity to search. If it were nearer American soil I don't doubt an equal number of countries would offer support. Territory and nationality just isn't relevant here.

Its in a distinctly non-American place to search - so the snarky 'he he American comments' aren't appreciated. I equally appreciate GAF will occasionally make black humoured comments to which I also do. Its just that one wasn't funny.
The Seventh Fleet is available and was participating initially. They're in as good of a position as Chinese ships.

Raist

Banned
Wait. They supposedly had a fairly "accurate" search area, based on loads of data and super new awesome calculations, plus loads of satellite pics from three different countries showing lots of potential debris, and now without having actually checked that area they're shifting 1000km to the north because "they redid the maths".
Seriously?

Wait. They supposedly had a fairly "accurate" search area, based on loads of data and super new awesome calculations, plus loads of satellite pics from three different countries showing lots of potential debris, and now without having actually checked that area they're shifting 1000km to the north because "they redid the maths".
Seriously?

They forgot to carry the 1.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Seriously?

You know how someone may put a dog house together and they forget to switch a wall around because I don't know they're human well maybe something like that is prone to happen but on a larger scale because we're not a perfect species.

My point being that the SilkAir pilot made attempts to complicate the investigation by disabling CVR and FDR. He also presumably thought that the black boxes might not survive the impact.

yes you are correct. both pilots made similar moves, suicide was readily apparent in the egypt air case though, since that pathetic idiot didn't turn anything off.

BunnyBear

Seriously?

Some new information came to light, to do with assumed air speed and fuel load.

Given there were assumptions made by Immarsat in the first place, it's not surprising that the new information significantly altered their analysis, leading to a completely different proposed search area.

andthebeatgoeson

Seriously?
Debris in the ocean is not new. They have found a shit ton on satellite imagery that has not panned out with ships in the area. We have to assume much of this is trash that sinks and floats over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom