• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I keep hearing this and I am not dismissing pilot suicide for personal reasons or even terrorism BUT why in the world would he want to leave a mystery behind if he wanted to kill himself? And especially if he wanted to commit a terrorist act?

If he wanted to kill himself and take the plane down why wouldn't the ocean/location around the original flight path be any less feasible?

I don't get why anyone would want to leave a mystery behind? What's the point in that?

Insurance is probably a factor.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wait. They supposedly had a fairly "accurate" search area, based on loads of data and super new awesome calculations, plus loads of satellite pics from three different countries showing lots of potential debris, and now without having actually checked that area they're shifting 1000km to the north because "they redid the maths".
Seriously?
They probably didn't account for everything or they used a model that was missing something. This is common even in research. Your results are only as good as your assumptions or your model's assumptions.

VfXGXB7.jpg

British Airways apologizes for 'Discover the Indian Ocean' ad amid MH370 disappearance

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I get what they say about it being pre programed but what the hell kinda discovery would be made by discovering the Indian Ocean. How the hell does that make sense or apply to air transportation?

MIMIC

Banned
"Discover the Indian Ocean" (with an underwater picture of nothingness)

DAFUQ. Is British Airways a submarine company now?

MIMIC

Banned
Garbage found in ocean confirmed to be garbage

Objects retrieved by Chinese and Australian ships on Friday are not related to missing Malaysia Airlines jet, Chinese state media said. But more objects found Saturday have not been ruled out as having a connection to the plane.

Objects were retrieved by a Chinese ship during Friday’s search operations, but China’s state broadcaster CCTV said that they were merely garbage.

Australian officials confirmed that a Chinese aircraft had spotted three objects in a new search area for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet off Australia's west coast on Saturday.

"AMSA has tasked the China Maritime Safety Administration ship Haixun 01 to locate and investigate the objects," the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said Saturday in a statement. The objects cannot be "verified or discounted" as part of the missing jet until they are retrieved, the statement said.

The southern Indian Ocean is now the main focus of the search, where unidentified pieces of debris have been spotted by New Zealand and Australian Air Force Orions.
NBC News

It's a video ad.

Oh. I hope the ad is more than just water though (because I see a lot of video ad just looping the same few images over and over)

trinest

Do we have any proof it is even in the Southern Indian Ocean? I thought that was all based on those satellite images, which since said stuff is junk anyway?

BunnyBear

Do we have any proof it is even in the Southern Indian Ocean? I thought that was all based on those satellite images, which since said stuff is junk anyway?

It's based on the Immarsat data that used satellite pings and the Doppler effect to narrow down a potential crash zone (which is still fucking huge).

So not really. Depends on how much you want to believe Immarsat is correct in their calculations. Otherwise, there is NOTHING to go on.

clemenx

Banned
Oh my god. My mom and my sis are seriously discussing a lot of the conspiracy theories regarding this. I feel ashamed.

My sister is CONVINCED the plane landed secretely in China but they won't tell or share any information because they're "Anti Americans"

What the fuck lol.

liquidtmd

Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10733757/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-live.html

From todays press conference coverage. How low will the Daily Fail go?

09.50 More from Jonathan Pearlman in KL:

Aishah Zaharie, the daughter of the MH370 pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, has attacked The Daily Mail after it reported on Sunday that she had told police her father had recently appeared "lost and disturbed".

She wrote on Facebook today: "Dear Dailymail, You should consider making movies since you are so good at making up stories and scripts out of thin air.. May god have mercy on your souls. You can bet your ass I will not forgive you."

Police said on Sunday the report was unreliable and unsubstantiated.

09.39 Here is Tony Abbott saying there is no time limit to the search for missing MH370:

08.48 The Telegraph's Jonathan Pearlman reports from Kuala Lumpur:

Malaysia Airlines has reportedly issued new rules banning pilots from being left alone in the cockpit and will require crew members to step inside, including during toilet breaks.

The rules also reportedly require crew members to stand guard when the cockpit door is opened while food is served to the pilots.

A spokesman for the airline told Malaysia’s The Star newspaper that the airline had increased security but would not comment on the details. “For security purposes we are unable to discuss any of these procedures publicly,” the spokesman said.

The rules were reportedly issued in a circular sent to all crew by Missman Leham, the airline’s chief pilot, in the week after the plane disappeared on March 8.

BunnyBear

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10733757/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-live.html

From todays press conference coverage. How low will the Daily Fail go?

09.50 More from Jonathan Pearlman in KL:

Aishah Zaharie, the daughter of the MH370 pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, has attacked The Daily Mail after it reported on Sunday that she had told police her father had recently appeared "lost and disturbed".

She wrote on Facebook today: "Dear Dailymail, You should consider making movies since you are so good at making up stories and scripts out of thin air.. May god have mercy on your souls. You can bet your ass I will not forgive you."

Police said on Sunday the report was unreliable and unsubstantiated.

09.39 Here is Tony Abbott saying there is no time limit to the search for missing MH370:

08.48 The Telegraph's Jonathan Pearlman reports from Kuala Lumpur:

Malaysia Airlines has reportedly issued new rules banning pilots from being left alone in the cockpit and will require crew members to step inside, including during toilet breaks.

The rules also reportedly require crew members to stand guard when the cockpit door is opened while food is served to the pilots.

A spokesman for the airline told Malaysia’s The Star newspaper that the airline had increased security but would not comment on the details. “For security purposes we are unable to discuss any of these procedures publicly,” the spokesman said.

The rules were reportedly issued in a circular sent to all crew by Missman Leham, the airline’s chief pilot, in the week after the plane disappeared on March 8.

An indication they believe one of the pilots went rogue, or just precaution?

andthebeatgoeson

Oh my god. My mom and my sis are seriously discussing a lot of the conspiracy theories regarding this. I feel ashamed.

My sister is CONVINCED the plane landed secretely in China but they won't tell or share any information because they're "Anti Americans"

What the fuck lol.

I'm glad we have the satellite data so that is clearly out of the question. I'm sorry but we can see how people are posting less and the news is covering it less. Eventually, something else will claim our attention. The families will go home without closure. Malaysia will just be known as the guys asleep at the wheel. I assume most other countries have a better response to radar data and we would have found the plane quicker if it had originated in any 1st world nation. I hope, at least. I hope this isn't a common thing and just the wrong country at the wrong time.

"Dear Dailymail, You should consider making movies since you are so good at making up stories and scripts out of thin air.. May god have mercy on your souls. You can bet your ass I will not forgive you."

Only reason to come to this thread now. I would laugh if it wasn't so sad.

What the fuck lol.

I heard a serious discussion about this plane being retro fitted for use as a weapon against the US.

And that is somewhere in the middle east.

MIMIC

Banned
Yesterday, they said they'd found their "most promising leads" in the form of several large, orange objects.

Today, they found them again but they turned out to be...fishing equipment.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/31/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html

Yeah, if they ever find this, I think it's going to be years from now at this point...

"Fishing equipment and dead jellyfish"

Yeah, it's time to give up. This so-called "search area" is too big to realistically be able to find anything, ESPECIALLY since we don't know whether the plane crash-landed in the water or broke apart into a million pieces upon impact. These multiple "object sightings" could all be red herrings if the plane is still intact.

luoapp

... Malaysia will just be known as the guys asleep at the wheel. I assume most other countries have a better response to radar data and we would have found the plane quicker if it had originated in any 1st world nation. I hope, at least. I hope this isn't a common thing and just the wrong country at the wrong time.

Every time I hear something like that, just reminds me how Japan responded to the Fukushima accident and what people's reaction was then. And I have to disagree with "most other countries have a better response". Realistically, who can handle it better without just handing over the complete control to the US? Aside from the first world countries, and probably only a handful others (China, South-Korea?). It's an international effort for the most part, the only thing I see Malaysia could improve on is their communication.

Good article on CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/28/opinion/abend-pilots-flight-370/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
Why blaming the pilots makes no sense
Editor's note: Les Abend is a Boeing 777 captain for a major airline with 29 years of flying experience. He is a senior contributor to Flying magazine, a worldwide publication in print for more than 75 years. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.
(CNN) -- Could the tragedy of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 have been the result of human intervention, as many have speculated?
For argument's sake, let's begin with an act of terrorism originating from the cabin of the airplane. Making the assumption that an individual, or group of individuals, gained access to the cockpit through a keypad-coded, Kevlar door, how was it done? Perhaps entry was gained shortly after the now-famous, "All right, good night," message from the co-pilot 40 minutes into the flight .

Theoretically, one of the pilots stepped out for a lavatory break ... or stepped back in from a lavatory break. Terrorists rushed into the cockpit at the very moment the door was opened, an action that had to be well-orchestrated. Such an action would require at least two people positioned in the first class cabin to observe the open door. One terrorist would have to disable the pilot and another terrorist would have to rush into the cockpit.
With the terrorists in control of the cockpit, they would direct the remaining pilot to steer the airplane on a new course. Or the terrorists themselves had enough piloting skills to fly the airplane.

In addition, inside knowledge beyond that of even experienced 777 pilots would have been necessary to locate the ACARS unit from within the depths of the electronics and engineering (E&E) compartment in order to disable it such that the system no longer was capable of sending automatic data; notwithstanding the logistics of pulling up a portion of the first class galley carpet to gain access to the E&E hatch while using some type of threat to prevent passengers from impeding their progress.

Why pick that moment? Where are they going exactly? Surely, aiming for the middle of the Indian Ocean doesn't accomplish their task to make some type of statement. And if one considers a botched hijacking attempt, how would a group of terrorists fail that badly? For that matter, how could one or a number of crazed terrorists disable a whole 777 to the point it runs out of fuel? A 9/11 scenario with the passengers attempting to disable the terrorists likely wouldn't continue for seven hours. And oh, by the way, information disseminated publicly seems to indicate that none of the passengers had suspicious backgrounds.

Next, consider the theories that cast one or both of the pilots as the villain. If both pilots participated, a carefully crafted plot between the two would have been constructed. No evidence of such a plot has been forthcoming. Besides, this would have required some type of connection between the captain and the co-pilot beyond their airline employment. No extracurricular connection between the two pilots has been publicly established.

Eliminating the two-pilot conspiracy, then only one would have commandeered the airplane. But how would that pilot have disabled the other? A struggle? Would the commandeering pilot have prevented the other pilot from reentering the cockpit after a lavatory break? Then what? Both the captain and co-pilot were equally qualified to fly the 777. If the erratic climbs and descents reported concerning the plane are credible, why the gyrations? Although transport category airplanes are sensitive to hand flying at high altitudes, only an amateur would demonstrate that lack of skill. And to what end would one of the pilots want to seize a 777? Once again, would the purpose really be to run the airplane out of fuel in the middle of the Indian Ocean?

How about suicide? Death by airplane seems farfetched in this case. Why wait till the middle of the ocean to make a statement? Why not attempt suicide immediately after takeoff ... or just prior to landing in Bejing?
Was human intervention involved? Absolutely. But my gut theory as a 30-year airline veteran is that human intervention was involved to save an airplane and its passengers in crisis, not to commit foul play.

BunnyBear

"Fishing equipment and dead jellyfish"

Yeah, it's time to give up. This so-called "search area" is too big to realistically be able to find anything, ESPECIALLY since we don't know whether the plane crash-landed in the water or broke apart into a million pieces upon impact. These multiple "object sightings" could all be red herrings if the plane is still intact.

The families will ensure they will never be able to give up searching for it.

Anyway, the lack of recent developments is quickly making the Immarsat data irrelevant. Could be hindering the search, if anything.

liquidtmd

Banned
Too many coincidences to not weigh intentional pilot actions more heavily than anything else. I think everyone is hoping that this was an accident and that the pilots are heroes, but with what we have, I'm not sure that's the most likely scenario.

I think the media and a significant proportion of the people think no such thing and actually don't really care how much they substantiate their idle speculation.

If this plane is never found then heaven help the pilots familes who not only have to cope with loss, but also that they'll have to live with such talk behind their backs (and in the case of outlets like the Daily Fail, in their faces) for the rest of their days.

Full transcript of communications between flight MH370 and Air Traffic Control Kuala Lumpur:

dh8LVxR.jpg

V3fbpHv.jpg

Have they come out and said why they said for two weeks that the final words were "All Right, Good Night" and now it's subtlely different?

coldfoot

Banned
Since they're pretty much searching for a needle in a haystack, what about the data recovered from the confiscated flight sim? Any progress there?

danwarb

Have they come out and said why they said for two weeks that the final words were "All Right, Good Night" and now it's subtlely different?

They've substituted the flight ID with all right. A mistake, or maybe someone thought "Good Malaysian three seven zero" sounded ominous out of context?

AndyD

aka andydumi
They've substituted the flight ID with all right. A mistake, or maybe someone thought "Good Malaysian three seven zero" sounded ominous out of context?

I can see the substitution as it is an acknowledgment/identifier.

I am however surprised at how little conversation there is with the tower in general. It must be normal to speak so little if there is nothing wrong with a takeoff. Still, from movies I imagined non-stop chatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom