• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there is a “BIG” news conference shortly. This is CNN reporting so could be just another “lead”… hopefully something solid though.

Raist

Banned

"This could be a variety of things."

Welp.
water_ocean_dark_monsx6ual.jpg

Mondy

Banned
They almost certainly never do.

There are plenty of scenarios where the plane could have sunk in one piece or close to it. All it takes is a skilled pilot, but that suggests that the pilot was conscious or alert of what was happening, which raises questions about where the plane ultimately ended up.

Pandemic

There are plenty of scenarios where the plane could have sunk in one piece or close to it. All it takes is a skilled pilot, but that suggests that the pilot was conscious or alert of what was happening, which raises questions about where the plane ultimately ended up.
Isn't that suggesting there would be survivors? Unless they all died mid flight then somehow landed in one piece....?

Mondy

Banned
Isn't that suggesting there would be survivors? Unless they all died mid flight then somehow landed in one piece....?

Possibly, but again, it depends on the circumstances. The fact we haven't found any debris could simply be a matter of bad luck but considering how extensive this search has been, we should have found SOMETHING by now.

BowieZ

Banned
So if there is a confirmed discovery, should there be a new thread (not to jinx it of course)?

Otherwise people may not bother to read the new news.

andthebeatgoeson

Every time I hear something like that, just reminds me how Japan responded to the Fukushima accident and what people's reaction was then. And I have to disagree with "most other countries have a better response". Realistically, who can handle it better without just handing over the complete control to the US? Aside from the first world countries, and probably only a handful others (China, South-Korea?). It's an international effort for the most part, the only thing I see Malaysia could improve on is their communication.
I'm mostly hopeful that other countries military radar would have picked up the change in course and respond/investigate.

When Payne Stewart's flight went off course, I think we scrambled jets to check on it.

Even the misquoted final sign off just screams incompetence or lack of precision.

WoodWERD

Wasn't it the last 24 hours that the box could be detected before it ran out of battery? It would be pretty crazy if this turns out to be it.

MIMIC

Banned
Wasn't it the last 24 hours that the box could be detected before it ran out of battery? It would be pretty crazy if this turns out to be it.

They said that the battery could last as long as 40 days and that it starts to weaken significantly after a month.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Said the water there is >13000 feet deep? Sounds like that could be a tough place to recover it from if it is indeed the right area.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
140405154007-malaysia-arc-map-0405-story-top.png

But its entirely possible its not it since there should be 2 pings from the airplane's 2 blackboxes.

140405154007-malaysia-arc-map-0405-story-top.png

But its entirely possible its not it since there should be 2 pings from the airplane's 2 blackboxes.

Could be a lot of scenarios for that.

It could be as simple that one of the black boxes 'ping alarm system' is already empty.

Could also be as simple that one black box got crushed by the plane's own debri.

Could be. Could be. It is all speculation for every single one of us here.

FyreWulff

CNN says that a source says that the plane tried to avoid Indonesian radar.

If it did, that meant it was intending to go south to whatever destination.. the logical view would be an attempt to seek asylum in Australia, and failed to make it to Perth

liquidtmd

Banned
CNN says that a source says that the plane tried to avoid Indonesian radar.

Hmm. If they're saying it wasn't picked up by Indonesian radar for definite then it pretty much rules out electrical / technical problems being the cause of the U-Turn.

I still don't believe it was a pilot suicide nor political act on their part. God damn this just makes no sense

Mondy

Banned
If it did, that meant it was intending to go south to whatever destination.. the logical view would be an attempt to seek asylum in Australia, and failed to make it to Perth

There's very little chance that would ever be proven but if it was, it would have monumental implications in Australia.

Fusebox

Banned
There's very little chance that would ever be proven but if it was, it would have monumental implications in Australia.

Oh god the morons in power at the moment already freak out over boats, imagine if people starting seeking asylum via planes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom