• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your sources?

ElNzjgt.jpg

freefornow

The search is all over the place. Each of those search areas is a massive area! Here's hoping that "ping" is from the black box.
_74065445_malaysian_airliner_search_624_06.04_signal.gif

Well, they've confirmed that they detected a signal that could be a black box but they still need to locate where it is and go down deep...

CREMSteve

Two separate beacons, approx. 4500 meters deep. Stronger when directly over them, weaker as they pass them.

Been tracking them for 2 hours straight.

Certainly appears they have found it.

SFA_AOK

I predict weeks (or more) of retrieving the black box, followed by the revelation that they're actually completely fecking useless in helping to determine what happened.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Plot twist: It's a blackbox alright, but it's from another plane that's crashed within the last 30 days.

WoodWERD

Why is it "possible" black box signal? What else could it be? A whale? I don't get it.

At this point I think everyone directly involved in the search is terrified of being portrayed as 'that guy' that jumped to conclusions again, but who knows. With depths around 15k feet in the area I'm guessing it's going to be quite some time before anything is found/confirmed.

KHarvey16

I predict weeks (or more) of retrieving the black box, followed by the revelation that they're actually completely fecking useless in helping to determine what happened.

If they were turned off that in itself would be informative. If they weren't turned off on purpose of course they would be helpful.

SFA_AOK

If they were turned off that in itself would be informative. If they weren't turned off on purpose of course they would be helpful.

Sure (though there is the scenario where they were on but recorded over anything useful - or has that been dismissed as a thing?). I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for the fact that we're probably not going to recover the boxen and work out what happened in a short timescale.

KHarvey16

Sure (though there is the scenario where they were on but recorded over anything useful - or has that been dismissed as a thing?). I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for the fact that we're probably not going to recover the boxen and work out what happened in a short timescale.

The voice recorder works on a loop, so it would have recorded over anything over about 2 hours before it went down. The data recorder also records on a loop but does so for about a day.

liquidtmd

Banned
Legit and maybe dumb question as I dont know about salvage op's: if it is the plane, and it is about 21 Eiffel Towers down (thanks CNN!) whats the story about black box retrieval - deep sea divers or sub with mechanical arms / external equipment?

Holy shit how long til the battery unofficially runs out?

Like many things in industry, the capacity or capability of something manufactured is built around tolerances. In other words, when the battery was tested, it likely was designed to work >30 days in order to guarantee the battery always meets it's spec.

Outside of this guarantee is a dice throw and also depends on the quiescent and leakage current consumption by the transmitter circuit.

In short, no one really knows.

liquidtmd

Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...370-missing-Malaysia-Airlines-plane-live.html

10.52 Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia's transport minister has told the world, 30 days after the plane went missing and as Australia detects what it says are pulse signals from the black box at a depth of 4,500ft in the Indian Ocean, that "miracles do happen" and that "we continue to pray for survivors".

10.40 The press conference by Malaysia's transport minister is underway. He says "miracles do happen". The Telegraph's Tom Phillips tweets:

10.30 How much is the search for MH370 costing?

The US bill alone has run into the millions of dollars, AP reports, and some countries such as China have devoted more ships and planes to the effort than the Americans have. Australia is spending more than half a million dollars a day on just one of the ships it has in the Indian Ocean.

But governments and military experts say it's difficult to come up with a full estimate for an ongoing search, especially since many of the costs are a normal part of maintaining effective search-and-rescue capabilities.

More than two dozen countries have played some role in the long search, which Malaysia is overseeing. In the days since the search shifted to remote areas of the Indian Ocean, several countries have deployed planes and ships for the effort, including China, Australia, Malaysia, the US, Britain, New Zealand, Japan and South Korea. On Monday, nine military planes, three civil aircraft and 14 ships were combing a 234,000-square-kilometer (90,000-square-mile) search area, according to Australian officials coordinating the search.

10.16 The map below shows the current search area, where the water ranges in depth from 2,600ft to around 9,80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom