• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
Right... except for ALL of the data pointing to that area. These people are not morons, you guys. They have access to information that has not seen the light of day. How some people assuming they just wasting time out there.

AKA Ditch Switch

I read online that the ports weren't closed when it crashed, and the fusalage had been ripped open anyway. Is it also just the design of the plane? I mean, they had the side doors open and everything. It was taking on water and the thing did sink, I was just curious about how it all works. I'd expect a plane to sink like a rock, not float for a few minutes with people on the wings.

Yeah, the entire idea of the switch seems a bit silly, since the chance of a water landing without fuselage damage is almost nil. The Hudson flight was about as perfect a water landing as possible and still there was damage.

The fuel tanks provides some buoyancy, even on the Hudson flight which had just taken off. Planes pretty much never depart with a full tank, they carry enough fuel for their intended flight + reserves.

raindoc

I read online that the ports weren't closed when it crashed, and the fusalage had been ripped open anyway. Is it also just the design of the plane? I mean, they had the side doors open and everything. It was taking on water and the thing did sink, I was just curious about how it all works. I'd expect a plane to sink like a rock, not float for a few minutes with people on the wings.

iirc the plane was sinking because one of the passengers opened one of the rear doors, which were below the surface level of the hudson at that point.

Yamauchi

Banned
Who knows...

georesonance-materials-flight370.jpg

onken

...well then I guess it just doesn't tickle your fancy mystery-wise. The rest of the world and disagrees with you though. Frankly I don't find how anyone who spends any amount of time in airplanes isn't really interested in what's happened here. You need to understand that planes are insanely safe - they typically just don't crash. The mystery is that it went off its planned path, stopped communicating, flew high then low, and then disappeared. The mystery is... jesus. Whatever. I work with a few people like you and I walk away from them. It sounds so ignorant to just be like "It crashed. What's the mystery?" Ughhhhhhhh.
I found myself devolving into this guy below as I was responding. Realizing that kind of sentiment drives me fucking crazy. "don't get the mystery."
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/257866/keyboard-smash-o.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Jeez dude you're going to give yourself a nosebleed. I was more referring to why we can't find it than why it disappeared (that's pretty interesting). I guess I just trained myself to stop tormenting myself these days. I've read every entry of that "people that disappeared mysteriously" wiki and pored over every detail. As time went on I slowly accepted that the vast majority were probably murdered and the bodies never found and it just made me depressed. For sure something remarkable happened aboard that plane that day, perhaps we'll never know.

Pandemic

Malaysia Airlines is telling relatives of passengers on Flight 370 they should move out of hotels and return home to wait for news on the search for the plane.

Since the plane disappeared on March 8, the airline has been putting the relatives up in hotels, where they have been briefed on the search, which has been focused on the Indian Ocean off Perth.

But the airline said in a statement on Thursday the families should now receive the information from "the comfort of their own homes".

The airline said it would close its family assistance centres around the world by May 7, but will establish support centres in Kuala Lumpur and Beijing.

It said it would keep in close touch with the relatives through means including phone calls and meetings.

It said it would soon make advanced compensation payments to relatives.
Source

liquidtmd

Banned
Posted?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ysia-Airlines-releases-report-into-MH370.html

Five page report released by Authorities today, scant on meat but cargo manifests and other information officially released. Interesting tid-bits, if depressing

Arguably the most important revelation is the fact that it took the airline a full four hours to respond. This time would have been crucial as the plane is thought to have ran out of fuel about 7.5 hours into the flight. That means it might have been flying during that four-hour gap in which authorities could have found MH370

Took 17 minutes for officials to notice plane was off radar
Four hours before airline raised alarm
Military radar DID track aircraft
New map shows plane skirted Indonesian territory
Airline recommends introducing real-time flight tracking

Jeez dude you're going to give yourself a nosebleed. I was more referring to why we can't find it than why it disappeared (that's pretty interesting). I guess I just trained myself to stop tormenting myself these days. I've read every entry of that "people that disappeared mysteriously" wiki and pored over every detail. As time went on I slowly accepted that the vast majority were probably murdered and the bodies never found and it just made me depressed. For sure something remarkable happened aboard that plane that day, perhaps we'll never know.

Got a link to that wiki?

Pandemic

Australia has already spent about $43 million on the search for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, as talks continue over who will pay another $60 million for a more extensive underwater search.

The search for the missing plane has chewed up a huge amount of resources from Australia, as well as other countries including the United States, China and Malaysia.

Australia’s spend alone is almost equal to the $48 million (€32m) it cost to find the missing Air France flight AF337, which took two years.
Source

Didn't realise it'd be that expensive.. Shit.

Dizzan

MINI Member
At what point do you give up?

I understand loved one's want answers and finding the plane will possibly (if it was a technical problem), prevent similar accidents in the future, but I think $43 million dollars is crazy and another 60? Wow. I'm an Australian taxpayer and there are probably say 15 million other taxpayers. That equates to approx $7 per person. I know it is small change but along with other costs we are forced to bear.... I don't know, it sounds a little petty but I would rather spend $100 million on fighting cancer or something. Unfortunately these people are gone and even if we find the plane, it won't bring them back. I am heartbroken for them.

Fusebox

Banned
It's a fucking stupid waste of money we don't even have, it wasn't an Australian flight and we're already a broke-ass nation.

Also I saw a PR fluff-piece ad for Boeing on Hulu today. I don't recall seeing an ad for Boeing before in my life, gotta keep face I suppose.

BunnyBear

It's a fucking stupid waste of money we don't even have, it wasn't an Australian flight and we're already a broke-ass nation.

Also I saw a PR fluff-piece ad for Boeing on Hulu today. I don't recall seeing an ad for Boeing before in my life, gotta keep face I suppose.

Since when was Australia a broke nation?

And I agree with the airline, real-time tracking should be mandatory as soon as it's feasible, regardless of cost.

KHarvey16

Boeing has had ads forever. Save face regarding what? No one is blaming Boeing because no one even knows what happened, and even what speculation there is generally isn't suggesting a mechanical issue.

Fusebox

Banned
Boeing has had ads forever. Save face regarding what? No one is blaming Boeing because no one even knows what happened, and even what speculation there is generally isn't suggesting a mechanical issue.

I've had Hulu for probably 4 years now and I've never seen a single Boeing ad, I just don't think the timing is a coincidence is all.

Pandemic

Survey by CNN:
One in four Americans believe that Malaysia did a bad job of handling the disappearance of the plane.

A survey by CNN also found that one in five also still believes that there could be survivors from the missing plane and more than half (52 per cent) said we will eventually find out what happened to the plane.

Two thirds of them believed the pilots or crew were involved in the disappearance.

Today marks 2 months exactly since the plane disappeared.. Time has gone quick!

Trouble

Banned
The most useful thing I got from that poll is that 20% of Americans are completely stupid.

Eh, it's not completely outside the realm of possibility, we still don't really know how/where the plane went down. That said it's crazy unlikely.

Pandemic

With no news, this story is slowly being forgotten..

Seventy-one days after Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 disappeared, the first book about the disaster will go on sale on Monday with a theory about what might have happened.

And as the international search continues for the aircraft Irene Burrows, the Queensland mother who lost her son and daughter-in-law on the flight, said it was too soon for a book.

Flight MH370 The Mystery, which is made available by NewSouth Books in Sydney, doesn't claim to have any answers but to some extent supports the theory that the aircraft may have been accidentally shot down during a joint Thai-US military exercise in the South China Sea. Searchers were then possibly led in the wrong direction to cover up the mistake, it suggests.

''In an age where a stolen smart phone can be pinpointed to any location on earth, the vanishing of this aircraft and 227 passengers is the greatest mystery since the Mary Celeste,'' the publicity for the book reads.

The Sun-Herald is the first media outlet in Australia to see the work, written by author and journalist Nigel Cawthorne. It records the events, emotions and theories unfolding on a backdrop of fruitless searches.

Cawthorne says in the introduction that ''almost certainly'' relatives will never be sure what happened to their loved ones.

''Did they die painlessly, unaware of their fate? Or did they die in terror in a flaming wreck, crashing from the sky in the hands of a madman?''

He says this raises the significance that around the time the plane's transponder went off at 01.21, New Zealander Mike McKay, working on an oil rig in the Gulf of Thailand, saw a burning plane. He links that to the joint Thai-US military exercise going on in the South China Sea with personnel from China, Japan, Indonesia and other countries.

''The drill was to involve mock warfare on land, in water and in the air, and would include live-fire exercises,'' he writes.

''Say a participant accidentally shot down Flight MH370. Such things do happen. No one wants another Lockerbie [Pan Am flight 103 by terrorists in 1988 allegedly in retaliation for a US Navy strike on an Iranian commercial jet six months earlier], so those involved would have every reason to keep quiet about it.''

He suggests through anonymous and contradictory sources, they might release misinformation, leading people to search in the wrong place in an environment so hostile that it would be unlikely anything would ever be found.

''After all, no wreckage has been found in the south Indian Ocean, which in itself is suspicious,'' Cawthorne writes.

''Now I'm not saying that's what happened but if a black box is found, who is to say that it is from Flight MH370? Another black box could have been dropped in the sea 1000 miles from Perth while the search was going on in the South China Sea. In these circumstances, with the amount of disinformation abroad, it is best to be sceptical.''

Ms Burrows, the mother of Brisbane man Rod Burrows who was travelling with his wife, Mary, said on Friday the book was premature.

''Nobody knows what happened so why would anyone want to put out a book at this stage?'' she said.

''There's absolutely no answers. It's devastating for the families. It's 10 weeks tomorrow and there's nothing,'' she said.

''There are so many theories that I only want to believe one, that they were all unconscious and didn't know what was going on.

''That's my only theory. That keeps me sane. All I want is for somebody to find a bit of plane. My husband wants a black box and I want a bit of plane to let me know just where they are.''

Penguin will soon release a book on the mystery to be written by aviation author Christine Negroni. She wrote Deadly Departure on TWA Flight 800, about a plane that crashed in the Atlantic near New York in 1996, killing 230.

Writing on her blog she says she has discussed the flight with French air accident investigator Olivier Ferrante.

He told her: ''So far it is a crash with no airplane, no bodies, no crash site, no physical evidence. It is a virtual crash until a piece of wreckage is found.''
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...s-war-games-20140517-38gmf.html#ixzz324wP6j9P

Pandemic

Also this, which I've been wondering why it wasn't investigated further but I guess this answers it,

Seventy-one days have passed and yet rumours about the fate of Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 are still “flying” around in the media “airspace

The latest was on the Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT), which was claimed had never been discussed since the disappearance and since it never transmitted any signals, there were speculations saying that the aircraft did not go into the Southern Indian Ocean and was still intact.

An ELT is an emergency beacon used in aircraft to alert rescue authorities and to indicate the location and the identity of an aircraft in distress.

In an exclusive interview with Bernama, former MAS chief pilot, Datuk Nik Ahmad Huzlan Nik Hussain said, even though it was weird that MH370’s ELT did not give any signal at all, one must understand that it would trigger its signal depending on the impact.

“The angle of impact is very important for it to trigger. The reason why they have certain impact indicator is so that when the aircraft is doing a hard landing on an airport’s runway, the ELT will not trigger.

“If the ELT is really sensitive, every time an aircraft makes a hard landing, the ELT will trigger. So it has a pre-determine value for it to trigger,” he explained.

He noted that in the case of Air France (AF) 447, the ELT was not triggered as the aircraft crashed at a low speed, about 100 kilometres per hour, and did not give enough trigger point for the ELT.

The ELT is designed to self-activate by certain triggers such as an impact or contact with water, similar to the black box’s locator device.

“It (Air France 447) hit the water, then sunk, signal was not transmitted. Water will hamper the range, the trajectory, the power of the ELT. So the transmission range of the ELT may be limited due to the water,” he said, stressing that it was the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) that gave the signal.

According to Nik Ahmad Huzlan, before AF447 crashed into the Atlantic Ocean, various signals were sent by ACARS as it had detected one faulty after another, which has led to the aircraft’s final resting place.

The former chief pilot further explained that the ELT was not related to the aircraft’s transponder, saying that it stood alone and that the battery could last for only 48 hours after it was triggered due to its strong signal and ability to be detected from far, unlike ping.

The ELT, when triggered, would transmit its signals to three frequencies that could be picked up by any aircraft or vessels that were monitoring via satellite.

"First one is the 243-MHz frequency for the ships, through which any ships that are passing through can hear it on their radio. The second one is the 121.5-MHz frequency, which is for the aircraft,
he said.

“And another one will be sent to the satellite on 406-MHz frequency. So there are three frequencies and none of them are able to be detected,” he added.

Commenting on the four pings detected in the Southern Indian Ocean on April 5 and April 8, he said that the reason there were no more pings detected after that was due to the black box’s battery life nearly expiring at that time.

“So the four pings detected were from the black box. But why is it so hard to find the wreckage? It is because the signals are not strong enough to triangulate the search area. If it is strong and can be detected at every corner of the search area, intersection point can be created,” he said, adding that the search would be a lot easier.

Asked if it was possible for the aircraft, presumably in the Southern Indian Ocean, to still be intact, Nik Ahmad Huzlan said it was possible because the aircraft was heavy and not designed to float.

“The water can enter through the undercarriage, engine and, bear in mind, the engine is heavy. So water can enter and sink the aircraft. The longest an aircraft can float on the water is five minutes,” he said.

Meanwhile, on the need of revisiting and recalculating the analysis by the United Kingdom’s Inmarsat and Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB), Nik Ahmad Huzlan said it had to be done although there was no issue on doppler’s effect analysis on satellite pings.

“I am holding on to several things. First, the range circle of the aircraft’s capability based on the available fuel. Second, is finding the dawn, because whoever is flying MH370 at that time will look for sunrise area.

“So, where the dawn’s line intersects with ping, intersects with the range circle, that is where MH370 is. Why landing in daylight? So the ocean is visible and easier to land on it,” he noted.
-- BERNAMA

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-c...ns-still-flying-around-1.599618#ixzz324z1mUvD

He says this raises the significance that around the time the plane's transponder went off at 01.21, New Zealander Mike McKay, working on an oil rig in the Gulf of Thailand, saw a burning plane. He links that to the joint Thai-US military exercise going on in the South China Sea with personnel from China, Japan, Indonesia and other countries.

This sounds a lot like someone who wants to sell his book and profiting from the death of all these people by presenting the ever popular 'America did this' narrative. The Thai-US military exercise was not in the South Chinese sea, it took place in Thailand. Why on earth would Thailand hold drills in a sea they don't have a coastline with ?

''After all, no wreckage has been found in the south Indian Ocean, which in itself is suspicious,'' Cawthorne writes.

And meanwhile a lack of wreckage in the vastly more busy waters of the Gulf of Thailand is ignored.

Pandemic

Interesting input hahah.

CIA withholding information on flight MH370, says former Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad

One of the most influential figures in Malaysia’s ruling party claims information about flight MH370 is being hidden and the Australian-led search for the plane off Western Australia is a waste of time and money.

Former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad said the plane’s disappearance on March 8 was “most likely not an ordinary crash after fuel was exhausted”.

“The plane is somewhere, maybe without MAS [Malaysia Airlines] markings,” he said. “It is a waste of time and money to look for debris or oil slick or to listen for pings from the black box.”

Dr Mahathir, 88, who was prime minister for 22 years from 1981, wrote in his personal blog he could not imagine that “the pilots made a soft landing in rough seas and then quietly went down with the aircraft”.

“Someone is hiding something. It is not fair that MAS and Malaysia should take the blame,” he wrote.

Dr Mahathir suggested the United States' Central Intelligence Agency had knowledge of the disappearance of the plane with 239 people on board but was not sharing it with Malaysia.

He also claimed that Boeing, the plane’s maker, and “certain” government agencies, have the ability to remotely take over control of commercial airliners such as the missing Boeing 777.

“For some reason, the media will not print anything that involves Boeing or the CIA,” he said.

In another blog last month, Dr Mahathir, who remains a power broker in the ruling United Malays National Organisation, questioned whether the plane crashed into the southern Indian Ocean and blamed Boeing for its disappearance.

During his time in power, Dr Mahathir was often critical of Western countries such as the US, even once suggesting the attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York were staged as an excuse to mount attacks on the Muslim world.

His comments on MH370 reflect deep suspicion in Malaysia of foreign involvement in the plane’s disappearance despite Prime Minister Najib Razak saying last week that nobody knew what happened on board, or precisely where the plane was, more than two months after it disappeared.

Mr Najib said experts had identified that MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean, where the search was focused, discounting dozens of other theories and reported sightings.

But Dr Mahathir wrote in his latest blog that planes “don’t just disappear … certainly not these days, with all the powerful communications systems, radio and satellite tracking and filmless cameras which operate almost indefinitely, and possess huge storage capacities”.

“Can it not be that the pilots of MH370 lost control of their aircraft after someone directly or remotely activated the equipment for seizure of control of the aircraft?” he wrote.

Meanwhile, relatives of the 12 crew members on the plane claim Malaysia Airlines abandoned them after discovering they had engaged US law firm Ribbeck Law Chartered for legal assistance.

Jacquita Gonzales, the wife of Patrick Gomez who was the in-flight supervisor on MH370, said the airline sent relatives an email last Friday advising that caregivers who had been assigned to help families had been terminated.

The airline earlier this month closed family assistance and accommodation centres in Beijing.

“From day one they [Malaysia Airlines] said that we are all family. ‘Anything you want, just come to us, we will help you.’ That’s why caregivers were assigned to us,” Ms Gonzales, 51, said. “But to take away our caregivers, our lifeline to MAS, just like that … it’s actually not right because our caregivers are not there to advise on legal matters.”

Ms Gonzales said the airline had told relatives to now engage with the airline through lawyers.

“As far as I am concerned, my husband is still an employee of MAS … as far as I am concerned, my husband is still on MH370, a flight to Beijing and he has not come back from Beijing yet,” she said.

Malaysia Airlines has not responded to the relatives’ comments.

Meanwhile, two films inspired by MH370 are being touted to buyers at the Cannes Film Festival. A 90-minute teaser for Vanishing Act, showing terrified passengers and a gun being brandished, was shot over six days in India.

Two books have also been written on the mystery.
Source

I think the biggest takeaway from this whole tragedy is to not give anybody the ability to turn off the plane's transponder.

Cause it causes a shitload of problems.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Navy official: Pings not thought to be from Flight 370's black boxes

The four acoustic pings at the center of the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 for the past seven weeks are no longer believed to have come from the plane's black boxes, a U.S. Navy official told CNN.

The acknowledgment came Wednesday as searchers wrapped up the first phase of their effort, having scanned 329 square miles of southern Indian Ocean floor without finding any wreckage from the Boeing 777-200.

Authorities now almost universally believe the pings did not come from the onboard data or cockpit voice recorders, but instead came from some other man-made source unrelated to the jetliner that disappeared on March 8, according to Michael Dean, the Navy's deputy director of ocean engineering.

Bet the plane is nowhere near Australia. What we have seen is a great example of information overdose, with authorities unable to analyze their own data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom