• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItIsOkBro

Oh man CNN is going through some crazy conspiracy theories right now because the co-pilot's cell phone may have been on; "He was in on it".

Raist

Banned
Seems this thread has died?

Last I've read is that the blackbox batteries probably ran out, and they're now searching the area with a mini-sub but keep running into problems. Apparently no one is bothered to request a better one...

Raist

Banned
There is really nothing better, if you consider all the requirements ( depth, reliability, scanning speed, etc.)

Well the one they currently use has a max depth of 4,500m and that's been causing issues apparently. There are definitely other subs that can go deeper than this.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They will use something like that (probably remotely operated) when/if they find the wreckage. The sub they are using now is just scanning the seabed for debris.

Right. I don't think people realize the current sub is simply being dragged behind a ship, far above the bottom, and it carries a sonar type thing that more or less images the bottom. Once they find the debris field, or what they think is a debris field, they can send down an actual camera laden sub to look closely.

According to the latest update on CNN the 777 aircraft was equipped with emergency location transmitters that supposedly automatically activate upon impact or contact with water... But no such signal was recieved.

GuyKazama

Well, at least James Cameron seems to know what they are up against. From James Cameron's AMA when asked about the flight.

James Cameron said:
Well, I know how it will be done. If these pings that they're receiving are confirmed as being from the flight recorders, then they'll triangulate the acoustic data that they have so far, and they'll generate what's called a search box. I don't know how big that will be, but it might be 25-30 miles on a side, it might be a very large piece of ocean. Then there are a suite of tools that can operate at the kind of depth we're talking about, I believe between 4000-5000 meters. My ultra-deep submersible would not be required at those levels, that's half of the level it's designed for.

The next step would be to use an AUV, an autonomous underwater vehicle, and have it run at 400 or 500 feet above the bottom and do a sonar profile of the bottom, it does that by running a search pattern, kind of like mowing the lawn. That takes days or weeks to do. Then you analyze any signatures that are anomalous, that don't look like flat bottom, and you say are those rocks, is that geology or does that look like the piece of an aircraft? And then once you have those targets, you know where they are on the bottom, then you go back, either with that type of vehicle or an ROV (a remotely operated vehicle) that would be hanging down from a ship on a cable. And you'd take a look essentially with a videocamera. And then you'd be able to identify whether that target was in fact the aircraft you are looking for.

So that's how it would be done. But it all hinges on whether or not those pings are actually from the black box, and not from something else, like a scientific instrument that's drifted off course or whatever.

lil smoke

Banned
So apparently half the search area underwater has been checked and they haven't found shit .. Sheesh.

Yeah. If nothing else from this, we know which areas to improve... if you are to try to take something from this, if we never get an answer while we are alive.

Pandemic

Day 45, no debris, no idea where the plane is, no nothing.. This is not only a precedent for aviation history, but a precedent for the worst handling of an aviation disaster.

Pandemic

Because no plane was ever not found after 45 days. Your idea of history is laughably naive.

I should probably restrict to to a more defined term, and by that I mean a plane with more than 200+ souls on board, but correct me if I'm wrong mate.

Planes have gone missing, and of this size, but not with this many souls on board, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a precedent for the amount of resources that have been put into a search, in terms of aviation?

Finaika

Day 45, no debris, no idea where the plane is, no nothing.. This is not only a precedent for aviation history, but a precedent for the worst handling of an aviation disaster.

They are now considering the possibility that it didn't even crash in the Indian Ocean in the first place.

So they are starting from scratch.

freefornow

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/flight-mh370-live-updates-after-3219331

7.11am "Six weeks after Flight MH370 vanished, calls are growing for a review of the current search area.

There has been no sign of the plane whatsoever with false leads and only theories to guide searchers.

Last week acting transport minister Hishammuddin Hussein announced that there could be a "regroup and reconsideration phase", hinting that the focus of the search was likely to change"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
As expected really, it seems that if anything this is going to demonstrate that we have a flood of data that we can't even understand. Welcome to the 21st century.

Pandemic

The probe into the mysterious disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines MH370 plane is now looking at the possibility that the plane may have landed somewhere as no debris has been found so far, a media report has said.

A report in the New Strait Times quoting sources within the international team probing the disappearance said that among the areas it was revisiting was the possibility that the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 had landed elsewhere, instead of ending up in the southern Indian Ocean.

"We may have to regroup soon to look into this possibility if no positive results come back in the next few days ... but at the same time, the search mission in the Indian Ocean must go on," the source was quoted as saying.

"The thought of it landing somewhere else is not impossible, as we have not found a single debris that could be linked to MH370. However, the possibility of a specific country hiding the plane when more than 20 nations are searching for it, seems absurd," the sources said.

Another possibility was that the flight had crashed landed in a remote location, the source said.

Members of the International Investigation Team (IIT) who have been making efforts since day one to find the plane are now looking at the likelihood of starting from scratch, the report said.

The sources admitted to the daily that it was difficult to determine if the Boeing 777-200 had really ended in the Indian Ocean, though calculations carried out pointed to the direction.

They pointed out that the Malaysian-led investigation team, together with experts from Inmarsat and the United Kingdom's Air Accidents Investigation Branch, had to rely on a communications satellite, which did not provide any definite details, including the plane's direction, altitude and speed.

"A communications satellite is meant for communication... the name is self-explanatory. The reason investigators were forced to adopt a new algorithm to calculate the last known location of MH370 was because there was no global positioning system following the aircraft as the transponder went off 45 minutes into the flight," one of the sources was quoted as saying.

The IIT, the source said, was also looking at adding more assets to be deployed to the existing search area in the Indian Ocean, as well as widening the search area as they feared that the search team had been "looking for the plane in
Source

Interesting stuff if true, but just another ''source''.

Slime

Banned
I still keep coming back to this. I feel like a tinfoiler for continuing to push it, but I'm surprised no one anywhere seems to have picked it up.

KHarvey16

Source

Interesting stuff if true, but just another ''source''.

They're simply re-examining where they are and how they got there by reviewing everything. If this search area proves empty they'll make it a little bigger and try some more while they go over everything again from the beginning. It doesn't suggest anyone actually thinks the plane landed or didn't crash into the ocean.

I still keep coming back to this. I feel like a tinfoiler for continuing to push it, but I'm surprised no one anywhere seems to have picked it up.
That was posted almost a month ago though. If it is a fire suppression bottle from a plane, you'd think that they would have examined it and determined what type of plane it came from. I would like to see that this was checked and confirmed because it is very suspect.

Pandemic

283741-d13b4314-cf0f-11e3-ae84-eacdfc097015.jpg

061186-b9898d84-cf0f-11e3-ae84-eacdfc097015.jpg

A pilot in New York claims he has found an image of the wreckage of MH370 online.

Michael Hoebel, 60, said he had found an image of what appeared to be the plane in one piece in the Gulf of Thailand — the exact place where the missing Malaysia Airlines plane made its last communication with air traffic control before falling silent in the early hours of March 8.

The Boeing 777 vanished from radar an hour into its flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Why that happened is still a mystery.

Using the online satellite imagery website TomNod, Hoebel said he was shocked to find the plane resting in what appeared to be an unbroken state.

“I was taken aback because I couldn’t believe I would find this,” he told a local TV news channel.

Source

MicH

Can't believe we haven't found anything yet. Just gone. And we'll probably never know what happened to it.
CNN's black hole theory getting more and more likely as the days go by!

Seriously though, this is unbelievable. It just vanished! I really want to know what happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom