• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

283741-d13b4314-cf0f-11e3-ae84-eacdfc097015.jpg

Kinda looks like a blue whale

buTjDQu.png

Just saying...

Yagharek

depends on the height of the fall

As well as angle of impact, speed, and sea/swell. The height matters less so since terminal velocity would be reached soon, but obviously if it fell from a height it might be in an uncontrolled spin, increasing the breakup.

The fact that the guy uses a Pilot ball pen to point stuff on the screen and the way he holds the pen, parallel to the screen, instead of crudely pointing directly toward it, strongly indicate that he must be legit.

Only would be true if he was sporting a Frixion pen.

wtf? (the NBC news website is pure and utter dog shit)

Officials will investigate possible aircraft wreckage spotted thousands of miles away from the area where searchers have been hunting for missing Flight MH370, Malaysia's transport minister said Tuesday.

“We are aware of a report citing the detection of potential aircraft wreckage in the Bay of Bengal,” acting transport minister Hishammuddin Hussein said. “China and Australia are also aware of this report. Malaysia is working with its international partners to assess the credibility of this information.”

On Monday, Australian exploration company GeoResonance said they believed it may have located the wreckage more than 3,000 miles from where authorities have been looking off the western coast of Australia.

“We identified chemical elements and materials that make up a Boeing 777 ... these are aluminium, titanium, copper, steel alloys and other materials,” Pavel Kursa from GeoResonance told Australia’s 7News.

“The wreckage wasn’t there prior to the disappearance of MH370,” Kursa's colleague David Pope added, according to 7News.
- Henry Austin
First published April 29th 2014, 5:46 am

I feel like something is actually happening. CNN has a breaking story right now about how an Australian firm found wreckage. Not debris. Wreckage. But in typical WTFCNN fashion, that statement is tucked at the end of a story that has been up since early this morning.

is anyone else seeing this and what are you thinking about it?

Edit: ^yeah, that one^

So reading all this made me think of the crash in the Hudson. Obviously a river is different than the ocean but how was that flight able to stay afloat for so long?

So reading all this made me think of the crash in the Hudson. Obviously a river is different than the ocean but how was that flight able to stay afloat for so long?
That plane the one that landed in the Hudson - Airbus A320 - can close any external port. which lets it more or less float indefinitely unless it gets cracked.

onken

CNN's black hole theory getting more and more likely as the days go by!

Seriously though, this is unbelievable. It just vanished! I really want to know what happened

I hate to be simplistic here but surely it crashed into the ocean somewhere and sank into a crevice? I don't really get the big mystery..

I hate to be simplistic here but surely it crashed into the ocean somewhere and sank into a crevice? I don't really get the big mystery..
...well then I guess it just doesn't tickle your fancy mystery-wise. The rest of the world and disagrees with you though. Frankly I don't find how anyone who spends any amount of time in airplanes isn't really interested in what's happened here. You need to understand that planes are insanely safe - they typically just don't crash. The mystery is that it went off its planned path, stopped communicating, flew high then low, and then disappeared. The mystery is... jesus. Whatever. I work with a few people like you and I walk away from them. It sounds so ignorant to just be like "It crashed. What's the mystery?" Ughhhhhhhh.
I found myself devolving into this guy below as I was responding. Realizing that kind of sentiment drives me fucking crazy. "don't get the mystery."
keyboard-smash-o.gif

winjet81

Seems there's been about a dozen bits of troll sightings/discoveries relating to this mystery ... Andaman islands sighting, Courtney Love's sleuthing, oil platform sighting in the South China Sea etc etc.

I'll take this current bit of information with a huge grain of salt.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Again everything seems to point to the plane having crashed elsewhere. I think this case will demonstrate that we are flooded with so much data that we can't even interpret it correctly.

Blader

Again everything seems to point to the plane having crashed elsewhere. I think this case will demonstrate that we are flooded with so much data that we can't even interpret it correctly.

Except for the data pointing to the plane having crashed in the search area.

Except for the data pointing to the plane having crashed in the search area.
Right... except for ALL of the data pointing to that area. These people are not morons, you guys. They have access to information that has not seen the light of day. How some people assuming they just wasting time out there.

BunnyBear

GeoResonance looks like a company founded on nonsense technology. They claimed to have found some ship in the Black Sea back in 2005 that was never actually found. They detect elements using satellite images. Somehow.

You sure they didn't change their name to Immersat?

Right... except for ALL of the data pointing to that area. These people are not morons, you guys. They have access to information that has not seen the light of day. How some people assuming they just wasting time out there.

Pretty sure Inmarstat's data has proven highly questionable. They should release their methodologies.

Highly questionable according to who? Did they not locate the FDR pings based in their data?

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...hind_the_search_for_the_missing_airliner.html

Even more significantly, I haven’t found anybody who has independently analyzed the Inmarsat report and has been able to figure out what kind of northern route could yield the values shown on Page 2 of the annex. According to the March 25 report, Inmarsat teased out the small differences predicted to exist between the Doppler shift values between the northern and southern routes. This difference, presumably caused by the slight wobble in the satellite’s orbit that I mentioned above, should be tiny—according to Exner’s analysis, no more than a few percent of the total velocity value. And yet Page 2 of the annex shows a radically different set of values between the northern and southern routes. “Neither the northern or southern predicted routes make any sense,” says Exner.

Given the discrepancies and inaccuracies, it has proven impossible for independent observers to validate Inmarsat’s assertion that it can rule out a northern route for the airplane. “It’s really impossible to reproduce what the Inmarsat folks claim,” says Hans Kruse, a professor of telecommunications systems at Ohio University.

The angle of the wing in that picture that is supposed to be the plane is completely wrong. It's got a more then 45 degree swept wing, the kind of angle you only see on fighter planes like the F14 with variable geometry wings. It's also very unlikely the wings would bend on impact and not just break off.

Dryk

GeoResonance looks like a company founded on nonsense technology. They claimed to have found some ship in the Black Sea back in 2005 that was never actually found. They detect elements using satellite images. Somehow.
That was what I got from the article too, a whole lot of unscientific bullshit. The article I read also listed one of their instruments as "a nuclear reactor"

Blader

Pretty sure Inmarstat's data has proven highly questionable. They should release their methodologies.

I don't think he was referring to that. He was responding to me, and I was talking about the black box pings.

Of course since he can't read my mind, maybe he was talking about Inmarstat after all. :lol

That plane the one that landed in the Hudson - Airbus A320 - can close any external port. which lets it more or less float indefinitely unless it gets cracked.

I read online that the ports weren't closed when it crashed, and the fusalage had been ripped open anyway. Is it also just the design of the plane? I mean, they had the side doors open and everything. It was taking on water and the thing did sink, I was just curious about how it all works. I'd expect a plane to sink like a rock, not float for a few minutes with people on the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom