• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just that the fire would have to burn all the communication before being reported which seems very unlikely unless there's a spot where all the radios are. In Swissair 111 they reported the fire 10 minutes before losing communications (12 mintes before the radar lost them) and the captain was heard getting out of the seat by the ATC indicating he was fighting the flames.

There must be a serious flaw for it to spread so quickly the plane just disappears.

I've heard that in some serious situations the crew may turn it all off to conserve power. As unlikely as it is, maybe they were hit with a double whammy of power problems and fire?

maomaoIYP

Debris has been spotted east of Ho Chi Minh
2jymkAQ.jpg

This looks like it imo.

akaoni

Banned
Clarification on the passport people statement;

Here is exactly what Rahman said about the appearance of the passengers on the stolen passports.

“It is confirmed now that they are not Asian looking men,” he said.

A reporter asked Rahman to say “roughly” what they looked like. He replied “Do you know a footballer by the name of Balotelli [using an approximate pronunciation of the name]”.

Reporters shouted the the name Balotelli, pronouncing the name footballer’s name correctly. Rahman corrected his initially pronunciation, and said: “Balotelli, yes”.

He added that the nationality of the men could not be confirmed.

Ty4on

Well, a fire could have started in the avionics compartment and that's it.

I don't think that's the case btw.
I guess it's possible.

Or the communication dropout could be due to unrelated failures. It's very unlikely for those two things to happen in quick succession but since we have less than nothing to go on we can't really rule it out.
Two rara and unrelated incidents at the same time is insanely unlikely. Remember that the chance is multiplied so if each is 1 in a thousand both together would be 1 in a million. It would be way worse when you factor in the slim amount of time both could have occurred in and that they are much rarer than 1 in a thousand. It's possible, but then an explosion that no one caught (could be unrelated failure...) is more likely.

Whatever dropped the communication is very likely also the cause of the incident.

Edit:
I've heard that in some serious situations the crew may turn it all off to conserve power. As unlikely as it is, maybe they were hit with a double whammy of power problems and fire?
I don't see that taking out all communication or being done without any warning. The crew would want rescue missions to find them in that case. Also:

Dryk

It has to be underwater right? Really horrible to even think about.
Depends on the aircraft and what happens. A lot of Airbus planes are designed to float for long enough to evacuate everyone and even have switches to close everything along the bottom to slow water ingress but:

- I don't know if Boeing include those design considerations
- It still wouldn't be completely watertight and would sink eventually
- Emergency water landings often result in structural damage, sinking the plane a lot faster

Two rara and unrelated incidents at the same time is insanely unlikely. Remember that the chance is multiplied so if each is 1 in a thousand both together would be 1 in a million. It would be way worse when you factor in the slim amount of time both could have occurred in and that they are much rarer than 1 in a thousand. It's possible, but then an explosion that no one caught (could be unrelated failure...) is more likely.
I'm well aware of the odds. I'm just trying to point out that it is a possibility however report, because if we forget that then we might fall into the trap of deciding that none of the likely explanations make sense, therefore the situation makes no sense.

aeroslash

Is it possible for plane to land "safely" on the ocean and just sink like in the old movie ?

geqilkhs.jpg

Not really...the sea should have to be veeery calmed, and even then it would be difficult

The only situation i can think of is in case of an emergency electric configuration when the engines stop working. After that you would switch the APU on to regain the electric power, and even between that time, you would have communications 'cause at least one radio is plugged to the emergency electrical bar.

Jibbed

Very unlikely. This plane was a 35,000 feet when contact was lost. If they went down, they went down hard.

As others have said above, modern passenger jets regularly lose contact (see 'datlink') and sometimes have to use other aircraft as communication relays.

It's not out of the question that the plane executed an emergency landing of sorts (or even successfully landed at some remote location), but I agree all evidence - of lack of it - at the moment points to a sudden event like an explosion or rapid descent.

Staab

Wow. How could a phone ring if it was fully submerged under water? This just continues to mystify me, man.

The weird part is that they hang up after a couple of rings, so it's much more likely that it's a telecom relay thing and the phones are not actually ringing.

jaxword

The fact that not a lot of info is being found is not actually indicative of a mystery. Consider that the plane went down because of a reason that powerful people (business or government) would find incredibly damaging, I.e. blatantly ignored safety standards by the airline.

In that scenario, I could definitely see the resulting answers being very, very carefully released to the media and public.

Nah, just kidding, it's aliens.

Aad

I thought phones these days can be traced using GPS even when switched off.

If so, why havent they tried doing this?

Ty4on

The only situation i can think of is in case of an emergency electric configuration when the engines stop working. After that you would switch the APU on to regain the electric power, and even between that time, you would have communications 'cause at least one radio is plugged to the emergency electrical bar.

Did you forget the RAT? :p

I think you can track last cell tower they were connected to. There aren't many out at sea.

Dryk

Regardless of whether or not it can be done, good luck getting a 900Mhz signal through 50m of salt water

(You're looking at attenuation of 100s of dB/m at best)

Is it possible for plane to land "safely" on the ocean and just sink like in the old movie ?

geqilkhs.jpg

This picture is terrifying.

I feel so awful being intrigued by all this. I can't imagine what the families of the passengers must be feeling like, but I can't help feeling like this is all fascinating. I'd love for this to have some sort of unbelievable happy ending (emergency landing in the ocean, stranded on some sort of island, eventually found...) but I think that scenario is exceedingly unlikely.

Chittagong

Gold Member
As others have said above, modern passenger jets regularly lose contact (see 'datlink') and sometimes have to use other aircraft as communication relays.

It's not out of the question that the plane executed an emergency landing of sorts (or even successfully landed at some remote location), but I agree all evidence - of lack of it - at the moment points to a sudden event like an explosion or rapid descent.

Indeed logic would point to a rapid explosion / descent, so quick and surprising that no signal or indication of trouble could have been sent.

The real mystery is that why is that rubble not in the expected place. Or more accurately, why would the plane have diverted of the route before the split second catastrophic failure caught them by surprise, and done so without sending out any problem signals, maydays or notices of diverting from planned route.

I'm about to board my flight, I really shouldn't be reading this thread, lol.

:(

I can feel you. I'm going to fly to Saigon in a few days and i was already scared of flying before this incident happened :(
I am always so stressed before going on a plane that i cannot do anything productive even days prior to the actual flight.

OT:
They state the person is not from Xinjiang!

Dryk

I feel so awful being intrigued by all this.
Consider a career in engineering.

I can feel you. I'm going to fly to Saigon in a few days and i was already scared of flying before this incident happened :(
I am always so stressed before going on a plane that i cannot do anything productive even days prior to the actual flight.
If it's any consolation, even if this happened once a week the chances of it happening to your flight would be over a 600,000-to-1
http://www.flixxy.com/scheduled-airline-flights-worldwide.htm

I believe cellphones use triangulation via radio towers, not satellites.

They often have both, but that's a moot point.

Even if your cell phone knew exactly where it was through GPS, there aren't any Cell Towers to upload the information to.

GPS only works one way, so it can't be used for the cell phone to update the global knowledge of its positioning. It can only help the cell phone with the positioning of itself.

daw840

People at work have been talking about this non stop. The world REALLY needs to be dumping billions into ADS-B technology. Then we would have at least known exactly where it went down.

If the plane is in the sea, even if some phones are floating on the surface as part of a mess of debris, they wouldn't get any signal, right?

Can someone explain how it is possible to get a ringing tone in that situation?

Marvel

could never
If Terrorists were involved and they have not ditched it in the sea, am I correct in assuming it would not have enough fuel to reach populated areas for an attack if that was the reason for the planes change in direction? not sure how long it was in the air for.

Pandemic

Why don't they make the black boxes have a floatation device attached? Something that makes it float, it woukd be a lot easier.

Dryk

People at work have been talking about this non stop. The world REALLY needs to be dumping billions into ADS-B technology. Then we would have at least known exactly where it went down.
It'll be mandatory in the EU by 2017 and the US by 2020. Even then that's mostly for efficiency reasons. You'd never be able to rush it for accident investigation reasons because the week of mystery every few years is cheaper, and people rarely survive this sort of incident anyway.

Why don't they make the black boxes have a floatation device attached? Something that makes it float, it woukd be a lot easier.
It's certainly technically possible. At a guess I'd say it's not done due to concerns about the device being carried too far away from the wreckage.

EDIT: Also you'd need a mechanism to eject it from the wreckage. Which is a massive problem if it ever malfunctions in flight.

Consider a career in engineering.

If it's any consolation, even if this happened once a week the chances of it happening to your flight would be over a million-to-1
http://www.flixxy.com/scheduled-airline-flights-worldwide.htm

Yes yes, im also always saying this to myself. But then i read news about flight accidents (And this was the second big crash within months - the other one being a flight from Moscow to Tartastan). The problem with statistics is that they're are of no use to those actually involved (victims and relatives).

And there is no excuse in the world which is able to ease the pain the relatives have to endure. :(

Tugatrix

because they are heavy and such device would be wreck on a crash, the alternative of putting such device on the box would create a fragility point on the box, endangering the data security

Sarobi

Banned
This is incredibly strange. I thought with the technology we have today, that we'd know if the plane exploded/failed the moment it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom