• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daria

I don't think there is really anything worth picking up on till its found.

The AD goes further than just this single plane that could have had this problem. There is possibly hundreds of 777s out there right now with this serious issue that are still in commission and flying and you don't think this should be brought to anyone's attention? Ok.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
EsVrEX2.png

See that? Whatever "that" is, it looks partially submerged

That does look like a plane, tilted to the side, opened door at the cockpit/front, with a part near the on the roof ripped off like on this:

If it really is two boats, is it normal for two boats to be so close and still moving?

edit: I guess it's a totally different picture? Where is the link to the actual site?

Dryk

Got that baby down on the ground didn't they :)? I'm just saying that it's quite possible to land one safely after a decompression (that poor flight attendant though...).
Well in essence a plane is three sets of aerodynamic surfaces with some other junk suspended between them. I'd imagine the fear while landing that plane was that the structural damage was great enough that they'd lose the cockpit.

BunnyBear

So it seems reports the plane had been picked up on military radar near the Malacca Strait were bullshit.

What a disastrous media performance by the Malaysian air-force, the airline and the media.

Pandemic

Now they are searching another location - the Andaman Sea.

The international search for a missing Malaysian airliner has been expanded into the Andaman Sea, hundreds of kilometres (miles) to the northwest of the original search radius, an official said Wednesday.

“Yes, above Sumatra is the Andaman Sea,” Malaysian civil aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman told AFP when asked to confirm whether ships and planes were searching for missing flight MH370 there.

Source

Falk

that puzzling face
So instead of attempting to extrapolate conflicting reports and obfuscations and such by officials (which at this point, with Malaysia's track record of both the past few days, and longer, is futile until the plane is found, in my opinion) let's go the other way and discuss something else well within the realm of hypothesis instead.

Say nothing is ever found. Nothing on sea, nothing on land, literally no trace. What happens then? What would the aviation industry do?

Daria

So instead of attempting to extrapolate conflicting reports and obfuscations and such by officials (which at this point, with Malaysia's track record of both the past few days, and longer, is futile until the plane is found, in my opinion) let's go the other way and discuss something else well within the realm of hypothesis instead.

Say nothing is ever found. Nothing on sea, nothing on land, literally no trace. What happens then? What would the aviation industry do?

There really isn't much they could do since they wouldn't know the actual cause of this. A revamp in tracking or any other technology will take years to change. But if they find the plane and find the cause of the accident, something will change quick.

Daft_Cat

What a cluster fuck.

I'm slowly beginning to suspect that there won't be any sign of the plane for a very long time, if ever. Maybe some debris will wash up on shore somewhere. Either way, future conspiracy fodder for sure.

If the plane did turn, which I now take it may not have happened, the most likely scenario in my mind would be a systems failure that took out the communication systems but left the plane flyable in some sort of limited capacity. Pilots changed course, then the cabin lost pressure and the plane just drifted until it ran out of fuel and went into the ocean. Can't think of another way it'd double back over land again and into another body of water so far off course.

Gotta be some holes in that, but I'm thinking that sort of explanation is more likely than foul play.

I'm sure that's exactly what they did/

And the reporters that are going to mis-state some small fact in the upcoming coverage of this incident are lazy jerks-offs and that the masses of Redit and Twitter are clearly better.

And let's start in on the investigators who don't explain everything by mid-morning tomorrow. What the hell good are they?
I always roll my eyes at some of the attitudes displayed here whenever some big event occurs. Not to defend the ongoing search or anything, perhaps there have been some mistakes, but people, this shit is hard. Let's give you some conflicting data points and a big fucking ocean and see how quickly you find the needle in the haystack, even with a ton of eyeballs. This isn't CSI where it gets wrapped up by the top of the hour.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guardian is live again. http://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2014/mar/12/mh370-search-continues-amid-confusion

Here’s something interesting - New Scientist are reporting that they have learnt that Rolls Royce may have received two sets of flight data from the missing plane. The first was at take-off and the second was during the climb towards Beijing. The data is from the Airborne Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS):

[...]

But New Scientistunderstands that the maker of the missing Boeing 777’s Trent 800 engines, Rolls Royce, received two data reports from flight MH370 at its global engine health monitoring centre in Derby, UK, where it keeps real-time tabs on its engines in use. One was broadcast as MH370 took off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, the other during the 777’s climb out towards Beijing.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It's weird that they report this stuff, when their own story then seems to suggest that this this data being sent isn't unusual at all:
To aid maintenance, most airlines use the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS), which automatically collates and files four technical reports during every flight so that engineers can spot problems. These reports are sent via VHF radio or satellite at take-off, during the climb, at some point while cruising, and on landing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's weird that they report this stuff, when their own story then seems to suggest that this this data being sent isn't unusual at all:

That wasn't the point. The point is that there is data that the Malaysians officials didn't apparently look at.

This information has not yet been verified. It does raise some interesting issues that were also flagged by aviation expert David Learmount on his blog. Learmount slammed Malaysian authorities for not taking advantage of the wide range of data sources available to them:

The Malaysian military has primary radar to provide surveillance of surface and airborne activity off its coasts and borders. It clearly knew more about what happened to MH370 than any other Malaysian agency, but the authorities do not seem to have tapped into this expertise, and the military may have been slow to volunteer it.

There are so many information sources that do not appear to have been used effectively in this case. As a result the families of the missing passengers and crew are being kept in the dark, and the search areas now extended to both sides of the peninsula have become so wide that it is clear that tracking information on the aircraft has not been used effectively.

Nothing has been said about the 777′s ACARS system (airborne communications addressing and reporting system), a datalink that provides technical information about the health of aircraft systems to Malaysian Airlines’ base. In the 2009 Air France 447 loss case, just before the fatal sequence of events an ACARS transmission told AF’s base that an airspeed sensor disagreement had caused the autopilot to trip out. That information was made public.

If MH370 was lost to civil radar screens because the transponder had been switched off, it raises questions as to why that would be so. If the military, who are now quoted as reporting that the aircraft turned off its northerly track and headed west, descended and flew across the peninsula, saw that happen, why has the information taken so long to be released?

Konka

Banned
The AD goes further than just this single plane that could have had this problem. There is possibly hundreds of 777s out there right now with this serious issue that are still in commission and flying and you don't think this should be brought to anyone's attention? Ok.

I'm pretty sure if random website has the info then the airlines flying said planes have that info.

Daria

I'm pretty sure if random website has the info then the airlines flying said planes have that info.

Obviously. More worried about the people who may be flying on one of these soon, just a friendly heads up.

--
Edit: Anyway, OT. So now they're halting the search because they have no idea where this plane is? I swear this plane just landed on some island somewhere and these people are hopefully alive and well.

Konka

Banned
Obviously. More worried about the people who may be flying on one of these soon, just a friendly heads up.

--
Edit: Anyway, OT. So now they're halting the search because they have no idea where this plane is? I swear this plane just landed on some island somewhere and these people are hopefully alive and well.

Vietnam is halting. And the 777 has two* accidents with fatalities in its history, I'll fly on it without fear any day of the week. One of them was pilot error and we are still waiting on the cause of the second.

*Assuming this one is fatal.

GorillaJu

--

How can you call it a friendly heads up when you're actually just trying to scare people needlessly? How many hundreds of thousands of 777s have flown without issue before this freak accident occurs and suddenly everyone needs to be wary about flying?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I found two different oil rigs when looking at the tomnod maps. Lost track of them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's here,

Problem is the tomnod site doesn't tell you where you are:/

edit: Found the oil rig again. No way to know if it's the same.

DDZ6Mzo.jpg

It's stupid this site doesn't tell where you are, like it's a game.

scrapple

Neo Member
Seems like the Malaysian government is extremely incompetent.

The lack of details given at the start, telling one of the passport holders looking like Mario Balotelli and mixed messages that the plane has turn back or turned west into the Malacca straits is extremely confusing and unprofessional.

smh how they are handling it.

PK_man

Banned
so much disorganization and misinformation. It's like the Malaysian government and the military lacks any kind of cooperation, or they have no idea what they are doing and are just winging it as they go along.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Honestly it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I've been on flights where one of the pilots has walked down the aisles greeting people in a very relaxed manner mid-flight. (Don't they have mandatory break times anyway?) As long as they're all hands-on at the first sign of trouble, don't see anything wrong with it. The plane literally flies itself.

It's unprofessional, but is it dangerous? I don't think so.

This is such a bizzare viewpoint.

What happens if one of those attractive ladies turned out to have malicious motives and you just gave them access to the cockpit?

:/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The ocean is very, very large and very, very deep, and a commercial aircraft is comparatively very, very small. Finding pieces of the aircraft would not be easy, worsened in difficulty by pinpointing the exact crash location without having a concrete trajectory, and unreliable movement of the fragments (sinking depth, current spread, damage, etc).

I still feel that information may exist, or is being collated and analysed, by the military, investigators, and airline that isn't being made public for sensitivity issues. If indeed they are unsure of what took the plane down they'd have to be logically considering all options, such as a hijacking or structural issues. And in both of these cases there would be parties involved that would want to keep details, if just speculation, private for as long as possible.

But as far as the public is concerned the whole situation is a mess. A big empty mess.

lost known location and the oil rig
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=8.37...304,-74.724323&sspn=5.245695,7.064209&t=h&z=4

If the oil rig guy did see the plane, then plane is in the South China Sea and everyone is/was searching the wrong place.

So the theory now is the plane crashed / landed near the west of my country (Philippines), then it should have been spotted by now since that's near the hotly contested Spratly / Paracel / Whatever its called in China Islands. That area is also a major shipping route so there should be witnesses if that was the location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom