• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanoff

The plane is gone. There is very little hope of finding survivors.

The upcoming press conference will confirm .

Now

Sad news, can't imagine what it would be like to go down in a plane.

Yeah I was watching a video on TWA 800 a couple days ago and it really disturbed me thinking how terrifying the final minutes of the passenger's lives would've been.

Thank god air travel is so much safer now.

kurahador

Nothing new from the press conference it seems, and they're assembling a SAR operation with Vietnam authorities and will updates accordingly.

Not looking good.

Daria

There really is no hope for any survivors at this point. There hasn't been. They were already at 35,000 feet altitude and the fuel would've ran out quickly.

They either landed in water or stuck land just on the outskirts of it. but again, a 35,000 foot free fall would not be survivable.

seanoff

Is it possible that they could have made an emergency landing somewhere?

No. None at all. They would have run out of fuel many hours ago.

If they landed, you'd have to think there'd be a phone somewhere.

Also commercial aircraft have multiple contact points. Ads-b, flat out radar signature, lots of pilots are issued with sat phones in case of problems with the radios, satellite comms back to base with engine data etc etc etc.

Its down, probably in many pieces.

Pandemic

Third press release has been released,
Ladies and Gentlemen, we are deeply saddened this morning with the news on MH370.

Malaysia Airlines confirms that flight MH370 had lost contact with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2.40am, today. There has been speculation that the aircraft has landed at Nanming. We are working to verify the authenticity of the report and others.

Flight MH370 was operated on a Boeing 777-200 aircraft. It departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41 am earlier this morning bound for Beijing. The aircraft was scheduled to land at Beijing International Airport at 6.30am local Beijing time.

The flight was carrying a total number of 239 passengers and crew – comprising 227 passengers (including 2 infants), 12 crew members. The passengers were of 14 different nationalities - citizens from:-

1. China – 152 plus 1 infant

2. Malaysia - 38

3. Indonesia - 12

4. Australia - 7

5. France - 3

6. United States of America – 3 pax plus 1 infant

7. New Zealand - 2

8. Ukraine - 2

9. Canada - 2

10. Russia - 1

11. Italy - 1

12. Taiwan - 1

13. Netherlands - 1

14. Austria - 1

This flight was a code share with China Southern Airlines.

We are working with authorities who have activated their Search and Rescue team to locate the aircraft.

Our team is currently calling the next-of-kin of passengers and crew.

The flight was piloted by Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, a Malaysian aged 53. He has a total flying hours of 18,365hours. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 1981. First officer, Fariq Ab.Hamid, a Malaysian, is aged 27. He has a total flying hours of 2,763 hours. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 2007.

Our focus now is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilize its full support. Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members.

The airline will provide regular updates on the situation. The public may contact +603 7884 1234. For media queries, kindly contact +603 8777 5698/ +603 8787 1276.

Next-of-kin may head to the Support Facility Building at KLIA’s South Support Zone. For directions, call 03 8787 1269.

Aesius

I don't know what it is about plane crashes that scare people so much.

I mean, there are thousands upon thousands of flights every day that land safely. I'm far more likely to die in the shower or walking down the stairs or getting crushed by a vending machine than to die in a plane crash, even if I flew multiple times per month.

But stories like this just reignite the fear. I think there's just something unnatural about flight that triggers people's fears, even though we think nothing of driving 3,000 lbs objects made of metal that go 75 mph mere feet away from other 3,000 lbs objects going 75 mph.

There really is no hope for any survivors at this point. There hasn't been. They were already at 35,000 feet altitude and the fuel would've ran out quickly.

They either landed in water or stuck land just on the outskirts of it. but again, a 35,000 foot free fall would not be survivable.
Very, very unlikely but not impossible. People have survived falls of 10k+ feet. Highest was 33,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulović
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Magee

andthebeatgoeson

True

If there is ANY sort of serious accident on a plane that causes it to crash you are most likely 100% dead.

Not the case in a car
So you think. Plane crashes get well publicized. Car crashes do not. A head on collision at 45mph can be fatal. Publicizing all of the fatal car crashes would completely take over the news daily.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

That's about 90 a day, every fricken day. The airline industry is getting millions of trips without a single crash. And I've seen evidence where most airplane crashes or events are not university fatal.

Daria

This is either a major mechanical failure or pilot error. With the amount of hours the pilot has, I'm guessing mechanical. This doesn't show any signs of being terrorism or weather related either. If they landed in water, eventually this place will float up to shore and we'll get an answer. If not, this is LOST irl.

bill0527

I mean, there are thousands upon thousands of flights every day that land safely. I'm far more likely to die in the shower or walking down the stairs or getting crushed by a vending machine than to die in a plane crash, even if I flew multiple times per month.

But stories like this just reignite the fear. I think there's just something unnatural about flight that triggers people's fears, even though we think nothing of driving 3,000 lbs objects made of metal that go 75 mph mere feet away from other 3,000 lbs objects going 75 mph.

I've survived 4 car wrecks. Highly unlikely I would survive 4 plane crashes.

You have a 1 in 11,000,000 chance to die in a plane crash.

You have a 1 in 5,000 chance to die in a car crash.

You are more likely to die driving to the airport than on the plane.

WoodWERD

Also commercial aircraft have multiple contact points. Ads-b, flat out radar signature, lots of pilots are issued with sat phones in case of problems with the radios, satellite comms back to base with engine data etc etc etc.

I was having trouble wrapping my head around the 'lost contact' part. It had to have been something catastrophic for them to just lose all communication? I feel terrible for those people at the airport.

PK_man

Banned
MAYBE, and i mean MAYBE the plane went through a wormhole or something and time-travel somewhere, just like in one episode of Twilight Zone

but yeah.....this is getting depressing...

Aesius

You have a 1 in 11,000,000 chance to die in a plane crash.

You have a 1 in 5,000 chance to die in a car crash.

You are more likely to die driving to the airport than you are on the plane.

5695212_std.jpg

Daria

Very, very unlikely but not impossible. People have survived falls of 10k+ feet. Highest was 33,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulović
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Magee

Wow. But that would mean that the plane would have to land and crash in such a precise spot to where it didn't lead to the passengers being crushed or bleeding out completely. in the case of Vesna, the piece that kept her pinned down probably also stopped a major bleed out or some serious spinal, brain stem injury since she couldn't move much.

Jake.

i doubt this would have been a contributing factor but i found this interesting:

He joined Malaysia Airlines in 1981. First officer, Fariq Ab.Hamid, a Malaysian, is aged 27. He has a total flying hours of 2,763 hours. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 2007.

1. 27 is mad young to be a first officer on a plane like this.
2. he's been with the airline since 2007? that means he started there when he was 19. how is that possible?!

andthebeatgoeson

I always considered flying into the ground at a few hundred miles per hour as an infinitely better way to go that a car accident. No way you remember anything after impact from that type of plane crash and suffer for a few minutes, unlike a car crash.

While we are weighing the few minutes before impact. Let's consider the minutes after impact as well. Fatal car crash at 60 miles per hour and seat belts and air bags probably lead to solid organ injuries or spinal cord injuries. Not enough to knock you out cold.

Whereas flying into the ground at 200+mph ensure massive head injuries or deceleration aortic injuries. I know how I want to go between those options.

this wouldn't have been a contributing factor but i found this interesting:

He joined Malaysia Airlines in 1981. First officer, Fariq Ab.Hamid, a Malaysian, is aged 27. He has a total flying hours of 2,763 hours. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 2007.

2. he's been with the airline since 2007? that means he started there when he was 19. how is that possible?!

Perhaps the vast experience of the other pilot allowed for a younger protege to fill slot 2 so to speak, at least in their minds. Still, it's a valid point, we could very well find that it was due to pilot negligence. We have that as a (un)probable cause as well as the accident that the plane was in in 2012. This one is a nail biter

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How long has it been since the plane was last seen?

We still have no clue where the plane is.

Pedrito

-No control over what's going on.
-Instantaneous car crash vs. a terrifying minute long freefall from the sky
-Dozens/Hundreds of people dying at the same time
-Flying being inherently unatural for humans
-Most people fly only a few times a year, if that, compared to driving which is an everyday thing.

Link to the ful article?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/08/malaysian-airlines-plane-live

From their live feed but the report was false:

Vietnamese authorities now say the reports a signal had been detected were false. “We have been seeking but no signal from the plane yet,” Pham Hien, director of a Vietnam maritime search and rescue co-ordination centre in Vung Tau, told Reuters. “The information on local media about the signal near the Cape Ca Mau was inaccurate,” Pham said.

Aesius

i doubt this would have been a contributing factor but i found this interesting:

I'm 27. In 2007, I was 21.

Saya

Terrible news. I've flown with Malaysia Airlines numerous times and always found the service and seats (legroom) excellent. Really good food too on the plane. Hope this doesn't tarnish their reputation. Hopefully the plane is found soon.

It's not the age that matters, it's the experience and the amount of hours he has flying.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

That definitely. I flew a ton as a kid but then throughout my teens got really scared. Ultimately I had to get over it for professional reasons as I was scared but wasn't going to let it materially alter my life. Part of what helped me get over it was reading a bunch of Ask the Pilot (really fun and interesting views on commercial aviation and common fears and myths) and also I think when I had to suck it up was around the election and I remember thinking these guys are on a jet like 20x/day it's just not that big a deal. Now I'm pretty much totally fine with it.

CREMSteve

Awful.

I take 4-6 flights per week and I can never get over the thought of how awful it would be to freefall from 20-30,000 feet.

RIP

terrisus

You can become one at 23 in the US.

Awful.

I take 4-6 flights per week and I can never get over the thought of how awful it would be to freefall from 20-30,000 feet.

RIP

Some people actually survived the fall from Pan Am 103, I was watching a while back an interview of one of the first responders on the scene of the wreckage who found a person who was still alive but died before they could rescue him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom