• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

raphier

Banned
I never understand water landing. It never actually works in practice. You have better chances to survive with an airbag and the belt.

ramuh

I'm still waiting on hearing a more detailed report on this. My curiosity is really high on this. My thoughts are those lost currently.

I hope so but apparently the chances of success for water landings are very slim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_landing#Commercial_aircraft

I don't have much optimism after watching some of those videos. The hudson landing happened in a matter of minutes. If this plane really did go down in the ocean and they survived the crash, they'd need to have found some land to wait on. Hours passing without even their whereabouts being known isn't a good sign.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't have much optimism after watching some of those videos. The hudson landing happened in a matter of minutes. If this plane really did go down in the ocean and they survived the crash, they'd need to have found some land to wait on. Hours passing without even their whereabouts being known isn't a good sign.

A big thing to remember about the Hudson is that the water was very calm. And ocean is going to have waves and really never be level.

Trouble

Banned
i doubt this would have been a contributing factor but i found this interesting:

He joined Malaysia Airlines in 1981. First officer, Fariq Ab.Hamid, a Malaysian, is aged 27. He has a total flying hours of 2,763 hours. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 2007.

1. 27 is mad young to be a first officer on a plane like this.
2. he's been with the airline since 2007? that means he started there when he was 19. how is that possible?!

27 is crazy young to be an F.O. for a 777. I'd be surprised if any American carriers have any 777 F.O.s that are below 40, the way the Unions seniority works.

A big thing to remember about the Hudson is that the water was very calm. And ocean is going to have waves and really never be level.

Also, while Sullenberger executed perfectly, there are a ton of variables completely out of the pilots control. My brother is an A320 pilot and was telling me that no matter how good you are and how perfectly you ditch, the plane has a chance of rolling over and things get ugly. Jetliners just aren't designed for water landings.

Imm0rt4l

27 is crazy young to be an F.O. for a 777. I'd be surprised if any American carriers have any 777 F.O.s that are below 40, the way the Unions seniority works.
Agreed. Being a first officer on a regional is one thing at the age of 27 but on a plane this size and an international flight/airline. That's unprecedented.....at least in the states, and I'd imagine many other western countries.

DarkFlow

Banned
It is possible to water land a plane in distress, as was done in the Hudson several years ago. A crash landing in the ocean doesn't necessarily mean everyone died.
Not likely. That plane was messed up right after take off, so was not very high or going very fast. This plane dropped from 10's of thousands of feet going at a high speed.

Agreed. Being a first officer on a regional is one thing at the age of 27 but on a plane this size and an international flight/airline. That's unprecedented.....at least in the states, and I'd imagine many other western countries.

It's a difficult situation to describe, but to sum it up, Malaysia has a dearth of high-quality talent in all industries, we're bleeding talent out of the country, and throw in a heavy dose of racial preferential treatment...

Mind you, I'm not suggesting Hamid is incompetent,unfit or obtained his position via nepotism. But the situation of younger people in positions normally reserved for more senior people are a culmination of many socio-economic and political issues in our country.

0OoO0

What about the plane that crashed into the ocean and the whole thing was recorded on a GO PRO?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QguEfBMhpyc

Trouble

Banned
It's a difficult situation to describe, but to sum it up, Malaysia has a dearth of high-quality talent in all industries, we're bleeding talent out of the country, and throw in a heavy dose of racial preferential treatment...

Mind you, I'm not suggesting Hamid is incompetent or unfit. But the situation of younger people in positions normally reserved for more senior people are a culmination of many socio-economic and political issues in our country.

Yeah, I'm not drawing any conclusions based on the F.O.'s age. These jets practically fly themselves. To go dark with no distress call at cruising altitude means this was a sudden catastrophic event.

Colonel_Forbin

Neo Member
this fucking terrifies me

im taking my first flight in like 6 years and my first over water in june when i go to hawaii

stats i know i know

condolences to the families :(

I booked a flight recently and it is a night time flight. More chances of crashing at night:(

I like dice games. Here's an attempt to put this in perspective. If you had a die with 250,000 sides, and you rolled it eight times, it's more likely to roll 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, than it would for you to be in an aircraft accident.

All airlines are well oiled machines that put safety first.

Aesius

I am supposed to fly to Austin at the end of the month. I don't think I'm going anymore. My heart goes out to the families. Hope they find some survivors.

You're going to cancel the flight because one plane out of millions that fly each year happened to crash today?

Mononoke

Banned
You're going to cancel the flight because one plane out of millions that fly each year happened to crash today?

Flying to Japan in April. Definitely not canceling my flight. Can't live in fear. This is tragic to say the least. And of course, it's scary as hell. But the reality is, you have a much higher chance of dying DAILY from multiple activities. Do I...stop living, because I might die?

coldfoot

Banned
RIP and my condolences to all the relatives, it's highly unlikely that anyone survived this crash though :(

I don't care for the statistics, 95% of my driving is in the city never exceeding 35-40 mph at most, I also don't drive much at all at night, when the drunks are on the road, and I'm in a modern safe car. When you take all that into account, driving might be statistically safer for me. Speed is what pushes machinery to the limit, decelerating from high speeds is what has devastating effects on the human body, so I'll always feel safer at slower speeds like in a car over a plane. Altitude doesn't even factor into my fear, in fact it's obviously better in the air as you're not likely to hit something compared to the ground, my fear is the excessive speed and the stressing of machinery and structure that comes when you're converting large quantities of energy into motion.

However I am used to turbulence and that never really scares me anymore. A plane is just like a boat, it's turbulence is just waves in the air that you can't see unlike water.

I hope this is not a mechanical issue in the 777, as my parents are flying in one next month.

Just to put into perspective how many people is 239, here is a RIP for all of them:

RIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIP

Wilsongt

Only Yahoo is saying something right now. I would stay alert. However, I saw someone posted a tweet of Huff Post of them removing from the arrival board the the flight was just delayed...

BWJinxing

good luck to the families.

personally flying makes me uneasy. all the safety and statistics dont help. heights and lack of control in all aspects other then choosing your ticket eats me. id rather take my chances with driving if it were just as possible to reach by car / economical.

that way you can also actually see scenery.

Aesius

good luck to the families.

personally flying makes me uneasy. all the safety and statistics dont help. heights and lack of control in all aspects other then choosing your ticket eats me. id rather take my chances with driving if it were just as possible to reach by car / economical.

that way you can also actually see scenery.

The scenery from airplanes is the most majestic thing you'll ever see in your life.

I've only had one cross-continental flight. From Detroit to London. I will never, ever forget flying over Greenland and seeing the scenery below. Incredible.

Mdeezy

Im 30 years old and I will be taking my first flight ever in May to New York and Maine. This type of thing scares me senseless.

lj167

I was just watching videos on youtube of the Columbia disaster, and then come here to see this. Tragic. RIP

dextran

I have a bad feeling this was terrorism. Total conjecture, but the lack of mayday has me thinking there was no time to react. Sad no matter what the cause.

MIMIC

Banned
I have a bad feeling this was terrorism. Total conjecture, but the lack of mayday has me thinking there was no time to react. Sad no matter what the cause.

That's what I immediately thought when they kept saying that there was no distress signal and that they just dropped off of the radar.

Of course, I kept hearing that they weren't flying over water, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom