• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only things I can think of are:

A) Arm plane as a weapon for terrorism
B) Take hostages somewhere (also terrorism)
C) Pilot totally lost his mind and acted alone.

C actually seems the least likely because of how coordinated and planned this appears. However, terrorism seems weird because nobody is claiming responsibility. But maybe that's because it isn't over yet?

Really scary thought - what if they suspect it was hijacked and brought over land but they don't find it after weeks, months, a year and it's still out there somewhere?
That's what I'm starting to think might have happened (or at least WAS the plan). Someone might have ganked the biggest plane they could with the intent to take it and crash it into something some day.

Koomaster

So if the plane has landed intact shouldn't 200+ mobile phones be contactable? If it was highjacked mid flight I can't imagine that no one would attempt to make contact or that 200+ phones could be seized by highjackers. If the theory that the passengers were disabled at 40,000 ft are true would those in control sift through belongings and switch off every mobile device on the aircraft after landing?
Well if it was one of the pilots; they could have easily just made an announcement to turn off all cell phones and electronic devices for (insert made up reason here). I'm sure people would have complied without knowing his intentions.

If (big if) the plane landed someplace, it's possible the pilot could have put on a show for everyone throughout the whole flight. Explaining turbulence or why the flight was taking longer than expected.

I mean think, if you are on a plane you sort of implicitly trust the pilot/co-pilot. And if he's saying you need to turn off your cell, or that for some reason the plane was diverted to a different airport or whatever else, you're not probably going to raise a fuss to question his decisions.

SmokeMaxX

I thought the 45,000 feet thing was probably a glitch and it was detected at 25,000 feet a minute later? Could you descend 20,000 feet in a minute and regain control?
Not that I think any of this happened, but if you fly above the plane's recommended altitude, you stress the engines which could cause a flameout. One way to restart the engines is to do a windmill restart which would require diving down far and fast enough to restart the engines. See Pinnacle Airlines Flight 3701: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle_Airlines_Flight_3701
The two pilots were exploring the performance limits of the empty CRJ-200 on the ferry flight. The pilots decided to test the limits of the CRJ, and join the "410 Club," referring to pilots who pushed CRJs to their maximum approved altitude of Flight Level 410 (41,000 feet).
The accident sequence started when the pilots performed several non-standard maneuvers at 15,000 feet, including a pitch-up at 2.3g (23 m/s²) that induced a stall warning. They set the autopilot to climb at 500 ft/min to FL410. This exceeded the manufacturer's recommended climb rate at altitudes above FL380. In the attempt to reach FL410, the plane was pulled up at over 1.2g, and the angle of attack became excessive to maintain climb rate in the thinner upper atmosphere. After reaching FL410, the plane was cruising at 150 knots (280 km/h), barely above stall speed, and had over-stressed the engines.
The anti-stall devices activated while they were at altitude, but the pilots overrode the automatic nose-down that would increase speed to prevent stall. After four overrides, both engines experienced flameout and shut down. The plane then stalled, and the pilots recovered from the stall at FL380 while still having no engines. At that altitude, there were six airports within reach for a forced landing. This led the pilots to pitch nose down in an attempt to restart the engines, which requires a dive sharp enough to attain the required 300 kt for a windmill restart to make the blades in the turbines windmill at 10% N2 (turbine rotational speed). The captain did not take the necessary steps to ensure that the first officer achieved the 300-knot or greater airspeed required for the windmill engine restart procedure and then did not demonstrate command authority by taking control of the airplane and accelerating it to at least 300 knots.
No but they could fly high enough for long enough to cause hypoxia, the mask can only produce oxygen for 12 minutes
I read somewhere that at that altitude the passengers' oxygen masks wouldn't do anything as the pressure gradient would've been too high. You'd need high pressure oxygen masks.

Jimrpg

no , I mean if this happened as a hijacking, why do it?
what's the reason.

See my links above... a separatist group claimed responsibility early in the week but it was dismissed by officials as a hoax.

So if it was a hijacking which seems pretty likely given it was deliberate action, and the two flight paths given by Najib today, one being north west near china/krgyzstan it could very well be the chinese separatist group from early on in the week.

In the article it says that they wanted to respond to china's persecution of minority groups. They claimed to have killed everyone.

FTF

Holy shit on the newest developments of it being highjacked and possibly landing and on the ground somewhere... O_O insane.

Jet-A doesn't exactly grow on trees. Even if they had stashed the plane away for some future purpose, it would need to be topped up with aviation fuel to get back up in the air. Sounds a bit farfetched.

Good point, although after pulling a David Copperfield with a 777, acquiring jet fuel suddenly doesn't seem that crazy.

What the hell?

The 45000 feet is remarkable because it's above the aircraft service ceiling, it's difficult and dangerous to get up there. Stop with the decompression stupidity.

It's rated to cruise as high as 43000 and the plane manufacturers are a bit conservative with those. I don't think it's impossible that they were at FL450, but like you I don't see the point. Probably an error.

Also, while less safe, I thought it was actually easier on a jet's mileage to fly at high altitudes, as there's less turbulance and more of a temperature difference. Yet I keep seeing people state that they'd burn a lot of fuel at that altitude. Is it the climb itself that would burn this fuel?

Could anyone answer why the Malaysian government is being so hush hush about everything? Why are they refusing everybody's help?
13 countries are assisting with experts from the US coming in to help with the investigation. If they want to keep their findings a secret it would mean they'll incur the wrath of 12 countries, and a large part of em neighbouring countries.

What help are they refusing again?

HoosTrax

13 countries are assisting with experts from the US coming in to help with the investigation. If they want to keep their findings a secret it would mean they'll incur the wrath of 12 countries, and a large part of em neighbouring countries.

What help are they refusing again?
Interpol.

Ripclawe

Banned
China and India has to have radar along its borders to catch a 777 coming over land.

ibs5SqIg7cLCBc.jpg

DaiHard

It's a good question. If you are taking hostages or making a statement you'd want people to know. Which is why not knowing is almost more troubling. Are they still planning something?

Maybe the plan all along was to simply take control of the aircraft, land undetected in an unknown location and never claim responsibility. We might never know who did it or why they did it but the fact that they were able to do it is terrifying.

aeroslash

Not that I think any of this happened, but if you fly above the plane's recommended altitude, you stress the engines which could cause a flameout. One way to restart the engines is to do a windmill restart which would require diving down far and fast enough to restart the engines. See Pinnacle Airlines Flight 3701: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle_Airlines_Flight_3701

I read somewhere that at that altitude the passengers' oxygen masks wouldn't do anything as the pressure gradient would've been too high. You'd need high pressure oxygen masks.

It's not because you will stress the engines...it's because of the coffin corner. If you go higher at a given speed, there's a possibility of high speed stall, and every feet you climb, the low speed stall also raises, so in the end you can have an aircraft too close to the two stalls.

Good point, although after pulling a David Copperfield with a 777, acquiring jet fuel suddenly doesn't seem that crazy.

It's rated to cruise as high as 43000 and the plane manufacturers are a bit conservative with those. I don't think it's impossible that they were at FL450, but like you I don't see the point. Probably an error.

Also, while less safe, I thought it was actually easier on a jet's mileage to fly at high altitudes, as there's less turbulance and more of a temperature difference. Yet I keep seeing people state that they'd burn a lot of fuel at that altitude. Is it the climb itself that would burn this fuel?

It is. It's much better to go high cause the air is less dense and you need less fuel to burn. In this long flights you start with a moderate cruising altitude and then you go climbing every now and then until you get to your recomended cruise.

Re: ceilings

The FAA/others define the maximum per aircraft(you can look it up on their site). That doesn't mean the plane couldn't actually go higher(even if it had issues with flight controls at a higher altitude), just that it's not "allowed".

See:
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...8F760532478D923286257C6A00631141?OpenDocument for various 777 models.

There are many types of ceilings. The service ceiling it's not a structural limit but it's very difficult to reach because the rate of climb is very low, evenmore at that weight.

Nivash

(Incidentally, when you look at that map it's pretty clear where the Australians defense concerns lie.)

Where else would it be? The Kiwis are hardly going to invade any time soon and last time I checked, the Penguin Empire of Antarctica hasn't exactly begun mobilizing (even if diplomatic relations, as always, remain cold)

RiZ III

So if it took the southern route, where the hell would it have gone? Perhaps somewhere in Africa but did it have the fuel to get there? Or who ever did this was really fucked up and wanted to crash the plane in the deep ocean.

To avoid radar coverage, at least civilian, is their range public information or would it take someone on the inside to know that sort of thing?

hirokazu

Where else would it be? The Kiwis are hardly going to invade any time soon and last time I checked, the Penguin Empire of Antarctica hasn't exactly begun mobilizing (even if diplomatic relations, as always, remain cold)
Australia lays claim to the majority of Antartica that is to the south of the Australian mainland extending to the South Pole and New Zealand is basically an autonomous state of Australia anyway.

In regards to this plane, the whole SAR operation has been a clusterfuck of incompetence and i have no position on what might have happened to the plane. There's just no reasonable conclusion that can be made from the constantly changing and conflicting information they put out. I'll be interested in finding out what really happened if they manage to eventually locate the plane, but for now, I'm just bewildered at how much longer this thing might drag out for.

Might as well expect them to eventually bring out a map of the entire world shaded in and announce "We have reasonable cause to believe the plane can be found somewhere in this shaded region."

See my links above... a separatist group claimed responsibility early in the week but it was dismissed by officials as a hoax.

So if it was a hijacking which seems pretty likely given it was deliberate action, and the two flight paths given by Najib today, one being north west near china/krgyzstan it could very well be the chinese separatist group from early on in the week.

In the article it says that they wanted to respond to china's persecution of minority groups. They claimed to have killed everyone.

Why would they kill fellow Muslim Malaysians?

So they are going with the hijacking route? wow. Glad you guys are posting the maps here...CNN showed a 'possible location' map and I think they just showed the whole Earth.

I can't keep up with the news and conspiracies in this thread.

Exactly what has been determined as fact? If this was a hijacking, did anyone openly take responsibility for the hijack? Were demands made?

Jimrpg

Why would they kill fellow Muslim Malaysians?
The article says a Chinese separatist group called the Chinese martyr brigade claimed responsibility. In the email they also said they were sorry it had other passengers on board and wished it was 100% Chinese.

That's if u believe the email is legit.

Ovid

Hijack is not confirmed.
TWO transponders were manually turned off and the Maylasian PM said that the plane deliberately went off course.

I think it is is safe to say it was hijacked. By whom, we don't know. Could've been the flight crew, flight crew under duress or someone from the passenger cabin at the flight controls.

liquidtmd

Banned
Then what is confirmed?

That it's not mechanical failure, as such the transponder and comms were deliberately turned off.

People are leaping out and as such indicating this is consequently a hijack. ,Unless I'm missing some information though, technically this doesn't prove anything. A series of events occurred that resulted in the comms being turned off and a change in directions.

The absence of A and B doesn't necessary mean it's C in this case. Hijack would explain it true, but that raises a hell of a lot more questions than it answers.

CREMSteve

It's not true that nothing has been confirmed. We know for a fact now that both the Transponder and Communications were cut deliberately, right when the plane flew in-between Malaysian and Chinese airspace.

The plane then turned back and set a new course, and proceeded to follow that for another 7 hours before all trace was lost.

Everything else is speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom