• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueGrime

That's if all the organs were viable. Seems like a huge risk and hassle for "only" $14 million, and I agree that there are probably much easier ways to get those organs. I mean, human trafficking still exists.

Scary to even think that shit would even be in the realm of possibilities.

Aesius

Scary to even think that shit would even be in the realm of possibilities.

I don't think it is. My best guess out of the conspiracy theories is that the plane was landed at a deserted runway and will later be used to conduct a major bombing or something equally nefarious.

I don't think it is. My best guess out of the conspiracy theories is that the plane was landed at a deserted runway and will later be used to conduct a major bombing or something equally nefarious.

Isn't that also a fairly inefficient way of getting a plane?

I mean, it's not exactly subtle is it? It'd just get shot down.

GaryD

Conspiracy theory on twitter that the hijacking was to raise $14M in black market kidneys (230x$30kx2) is absolutely fantastical and horrifying.

Isn't the jet worth some hundreds of millions? If you're going to steal a jet, I think ransoming the jet against the insurance company would be a smarter option.

Iolo

Yeah, some mailmen like their jobs so much that sometimes they don't deliver the mail and just stash it in their attic or trunk of their car for a few decades.

Are you suggesting the plane is now inside the flight simulator? I guess it's not less plausible than the kidney theory.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the jet worth some hundreds of millions? If you're going to steal a jet, I think ransoming the jet against the insurance company would be a smarter option.

Yeah, it seems kind of roundabout to hijack a 777 to sell some organs when the plane itself if worth way more than they could get out of the passengers.

Falk

that puzzling face
This is about the silliest time to be devil's advocate but a plane that everyone's looking for is much more traceable.

I can't understand the reasoning. A plane of that size is a very destructive bomb in itself, it wouldn't need to be prepared with a bomb for later use - you could just fly it into something immediately. And if you had a bomb that needed a plane to carry it, surely a 777 would not be the first choice.

Dishwalla

Banned

Or if the passengers are still alive, use their lives to get money from China and other countries that want to see their citizens returned safely.

Like they aren't going to be on massive red alert for any suspect Boeing plane now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I can't understand the reasoning. A plane of that size is a very destructive bomb in itself, it wouldn't need to be prepared with a bomb for later use - you could just fly it into something immediately. And if you had a bomb that needed a plane to carry it, surely a 777 would not be the first choice.

Not if it's a dirty one, nor if you need to go far, nor if you need the pilot to steal whatever he is supposed to be flying. You need the pilot first if you want to bypass everything, that pretty much dictates what the plane will be.

Sean*O

If the plan is to sneak attack they could they have someone reprogram the transponder and possibly sneak into the flight path of another routine flight?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If the plan is to sneak attack they could they have someone reprogram the transponder and possibly sneak into the flight path of another routine flight?

Apparently not, based on the discussion on the last few pages. And even if it was possible to completely spoof another plane, they would have to take out the other plane without being noticed and arrive at about the expected time in order to not raise questions. More or less impossible to pull off. Slightest error and somebody's air force is going to be on their tail.

Since they know exactly how long the plane flew from its last known location, wouldn't it be relatively easy to map out possible landing locations using some radius? It's not like you can land a 777 just anywhere...

crozier

Apparently not, based on the discussion on the last few pages. And even if it was possible to completely spoof another plane, they would have to take out the other plane without being noticed and arrive at about the expected time in order to not raise questions. More or less impossible to pull off. Slightest error and somebody's air force is going to be on their tail.
I think you overestimate the FAA. There are literally dozens of stories of pilots landing at the wrong airport without the FAA making a fuss until well afterwards.

HoosTrax

In which of those countries could you even cross their airspace without them freaking out. Certainly not India, Pakistan, China, etc.

brian577

Banned
I think you overestimate the FAA. There are literally dozens of stories of pilots landing at the wrong airport without the FAA making a fuss until well afterwards.

Those incidents usually involve planes mistaking a military base for a civilian airport (or vice versa) that are adjacent to each other.

Why are people talking like they actually managed to land this damn plane? It's more likely that it's at the bottom of the ocean.

What makes you think it crashed? Why would highly knowledgeable hijackers go through all this trouble only to crash the plane in the ocean in the end? It's much more likely that they had a plan to land the plane somewhere specific and that they successfully made it, based on how long it flew after disappearing.

kmax

Yeah, I'm taking everything that's coming out with a grain of salt until there's substantial evidence. I'm kind of tired of all the misinformation by now.

Amir0x

Banned
Not really. All evidence in the past few days leans towards this plane being taken.

This could end up being a big problem for a large city if it's being used as a delivery system for a dirty bomb or something.

I wasn't saying it was bizarre in the sense the evidence didn't line up, just that it's bizarre how this is where the investigation has inevitably led. I thought for sure it'd be some freak accident when first reports started pouring in about its disappearance, the oil slick... but now it's a hijack. :(

Ripclawe

Banned
If that plane was taken, that means somewhere some motherfucker taught up this plan and has so far executed it flawlessly including landing a 777 plane somewhere for reuse.

That is someone that must be found and taken out immediately.

Ovid

Already in play. Look up FSX and VATSIM. You have guys that simulate being pilots and then you have guys simulating ATC from around the world. Crazy shit.
I just looked it up on YT and that's the coolest thing I've ever seen.

I remember buying Flight Simulator add-ons as a kid that simulated ATC. I would've killed to have something as awesome as this back then.

Anion

If that plane was taken, that means somewhere some motherfucker taught up this plan and has so far executed it flawlessly including landing a 777 plane somewhere for reuse.

This.

Honestly, if an organization did this, they are incredibly dangerous. Seriously, this is CIA level stuff

Falk

that puzzling face

If we blow the Earth apart I'm pretty sure we'd nail the sucker.

The logistics involved of doing this and having every part successful has to be very well funded, someone who is in the public eye so his/her money is not questioned, and someone with pull in federal governments. My guess is a Chinese nationalist in the state gov't.

Or just two rogue pilots with an axe to grind.

The logistics involved of doing this and having every part successful has to be very well funded, someone who is in the public eye so his/her money is not questioned, and someone with pull in federal governments.

05a58fae4584781fa5f307f4aee9c73c.jpeg

I'm not trying to be rude or insensitive, sorry.

Van Owen

Banned
The logistics involved of doing this and having every part successful has to be very well funded, someone who is in the public eye so his/her money is not questioned, and someone with pull in federal governments. My guess is a Chinese nationalist in the state gov't.

Or just two rogue pilots with an axe to grind.

Or a Chinese extremist group with ties to al Qaeda.

Daria

They had a total of 7:13 flight time, the flight was planned for 5:55. Backup fuel leaves them with about 7-8hr total. Either both pilots were taken hostage and flew it, the hijackers flew it and knew what to do, or the pilots were on a suicide mission.

All three are very plausible. This plane is in the ocean and won't be found for a long time, if ever.

at this point it's honestly best to just stop, the black boxes aren't going to be putting off signal forever, and the places it could be is enormous. A major loss for the families but this will take very long to fully get a definitive answer on what happened.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm just waiting for all the Malaysians on my facebook feed to start sharing that as if it were real and calling for blood.

raindoc

Cheers for the amendments gents.

12:41am - MH370 leaves Kuala Lumpur for Beijing.
01:07am - ACARS shut off: likely deliberate.
01:21am - Transponder shut off: likely deliberate.
01:22am - MH370 disappears from Subang Air Traffic Control.
***01:22am+ - Timeline murky. At some point MH370 "turns back" westward across the Malay Peninsula, then turns northwest into the Straits of Malacca, and continues flying until it leaves military primary radar coverage. Aircraft movement during this period is considered deliberate.
02.40am - "Contact lost" reported to Malaysian airlines.
***06:30am - Scheduled landing in Beijing, MH370 nowhere to be found.
08:11am - Satellite "pings" MH370. Location impossible to pinpoint. Vague window of "a northern corridor stretching approximately from the border of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan to southern Thailand, or a southern corridor stretching from Indonesia to the southern Indian Ocean"

That was just the time when the airline was informed. The last radio contact was either with Subang ATC around 1:20 am or with another 777 nearby at 1:30, if you believe the pilot (or did I miss the official confirmation for that account?).

12:41am MH370 departs Kuala Lumpur International Airport

01:07am Last ACARS data transmitted

01:20am (approx.) Last contact between MH370 and Subang Air Traffic Control, who are handing over to Ho Chi Minh City ATC (the last radio transmission heard from the aircraft was "Okay, good night", it is unknown who said it).

01:21am Transponder signal is lost near Waypoint IGARI (N6.92 E103.58). MH370 disappears from civilian radar.
At the same time the malaysian military's primary radar starts tracking an unidentified radar contact moving from IGARI towards VAMPI in the west.

(01:30am Since the aircraft fails to contact Ho Chi Minh City ATC and doesn't respond to their calls, the pilot of another Boeing 777 only 30 minutes ahead of MH370 is asked to contact the plane via radio on an emergency frequency. The pilot reports to have heard someone mumbling in reply (no Mayday call).*UNCONFIRMED*)

02:15am Last confirmed (malaysian) radar contact about 200nm northwest of Penang in the Andaman Sea.

02:40am Malaysia Airlines is notified by Subang Air Control that contact with their airplane was lost.

07:24am Malaysia Airlines confirms to the public that contact has been lost and SAR operations have begun.

08:11am Last satellite contact from one of two corridors: (1) Northern corridor stretching from Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan to northern Thailand or (2) Southern corridor stretching from Indonesia to Southern Indian Ocean.

Grudy

This may be a bit old but is it true that the passenger cellphones were still ringing long after the plane should have crashed/landed? If it is then that's pretty creepy ._.

Slime

Banned
Apparently ABC News is reporting that the turn to the west the plane made after the transponder was turned off had been preprogrammed. Don't know if that's new or not. Just heard it on CNN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom