• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Owen

Banned
They had a total of 7:13 flight time, the flight was planned for 5:55. Backup fuel leaves them with about 7-8hr total. Either both pilots were taken hostage and flew it, the hijackers flew it and knew what to do, or the pilots were on a suicide mission.

All three are very plausible. This plane is in the ocean and won't be found for a long time, if ever.

at this point it's honestly best to just stop, the black boxes aren't going to be putting off signal forever, and the places it could be is enormous. A major loss for the families but this will take very long to fully get a definitive answer on what happened.

It's unlikely that if it crashed not a single piece of wreckage would be found, or that the transponders would be turned off 14 minutes apart.

Imagine this thing is loaded up with nerve gas or irradiated material and crashes into a major metro area? Fuck...

I hope the US is monitoring the coasts VERY closely. Even so, if the plane is flown low enough it can't be undetectable by radar.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What makes you think it crashed? Why would highly knowledgeable hijackers go through all this trouble only to crash the plane in the ocean in the end? It's much more likely that they had a plan to land the plane somewhere specific and that they successfully made it, based on how long it flew after disappearing.

What do you mean "all this trouble"? Hijacker disables communications, takes hold of the plane with the intention to crash it somewhere specific, but is neutralized by the passengers or crew. Plane is left with no way to communicate, no one to pilot it. By the time there is daylight, they might be above the ocean with no idea where to go.

Oersted

This may be a bit old but is it true that the passenger cellphones were still ringing long after the plane should have crashed/landed? If it is then that's pretty creepy ._.

Many phones are ringing during the attempt of connecting, no matter if intact, crashed, off or on.

Daria

It's unlikely that if it crashed not a single piece of wreckage would be found, or that the transponders would be turned off 14 minutes apart.

Imagine this thing is loaded up with nerve gas or irradiated material and crashes into a major metro area? Fuck...

I hope the US is monitoring the coasts VERY closely. Even so, if the plane is flown low enough it can't be undetectable by radar.

See, we keep talking about wreckage not being found but we don't even know where it was landed or possibly landed. There could be hundreds of pieces floating out there in the middle of an ocean 500miles from the searches. Just because we haven't found anything yet doesn't mean it didn't crash.

They had a total of 7:13 flight time, the flight was planned for 5:55. Backup fuel leaves them with about 7-8hr total. Either both pilots were taken hostage and flew it, the hijackers flew it and knew what to do, or the pilots were on a suicide mission.

All three are very plausible. This plane is in the ocean and won't be found for a long time, if ever.

at this point it's honestly best to just stop, the black boxes aren't going to be putting off signal forever, and the places it could be is enormous. A major loss for the families but this will take very long to fully get a definitive answer on what happened.

I agree with you. This plane is at the bottom of the Indian ocean and it will take a long time to find it

riotous

Banned
This may be a bit old but is it true that the passenger cellphones were still ringing long after the plane should have crashed/landed? If it is then that's pretty creepy ._.

This keeps getting brought up.

You can hear rings on a phone without the phone ringing. The carrier sends a ring while it's searching for the phone.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
What if a secret cell of Neo-Nazis were hijacked it and are going to use it as a weapon platform to attack Washington with a particle beam???

Rapstah

As far as I understood, that was just sensationalist reporting because some providers still sound like you're getting a ring or two through before they tell you that the call couldn't be completed. At least that's what it sounded like when the news were saying this.

Recently someone was claiming to have a missed call from one of the people on board. I guess this hasn't been verified, or has been verified as BS?

kaiju

If the plane were indeed hijacked and the pilots are in on it, I wonder how many passengers were also part of the plan? Is it possible that there could have been like 100 hijackers on that thing?

Daria

What makes you think it crashed? Why would highly knowledgeable hijackers go through all this trouble only to crash the plane in the ocean in the end? It's much more likely that they had a plan to land the plane somewhere specific and that they successfully made it, based on how long it flew after disappearing.

Yes, I'm most certain they were following a path and the end result was probably in the middle of an ocean. You do know that terrorist groups go on suicide missions, right? Where the end result is to kill as many people as possible. This plane had 239 people and that seems like it'd be enough incentive for someone who believes in the after life after completing a mission.

And with a suicide mission why would they want to have someone find it? They probably don't really care if anyone gets closure or finds out where this plane is. They completed their mission by killing innocents and that was the goal. Once control was took over by someone (either third person or pilots) they knew how it was going to end.

Mikey Jr.

Why are people talking like they actually managed to land this damn plane? It's more likely that it's at the bottom of the ocean.

So the hijackers turned off the transponders, made a left turn, made a right/left turn, and flew for 8 hours to crash..........into the water?

Ohhh, and also didn't broadcast to the world that "terrorist group X" was responsible for it.

Honestly, its feeling more and more likely they landed somewhere remote and its hidden right now.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If the plane were indeed hijacked and the pilots are in on it, I wonder how many passengers were also part of the plan? Is it possible that there could have been like 100 hijackers on that thing?

no just no
Yes, I'm most certain they were following a path and the end result was probably in the middle of an ocean. You do know that terrorist groups go on suicide missions, right? Where the end result is to kill as many people as possible. This plane had 239 people and that seems like it'd be enough incentive for someone who believes in the after life after completing a mission.

And with a suicide mission why would they want to have someone find it? They probably don't really care if anyone gets closure or finds out where this plane is. They completed their mission by killing innocents and that was the goal. Once control was took over by someone (either third person or pilots) they knew how it was going to end.
Its not as terrifying if you cant find the plane. Right now we still have no proof that the plane went down. When terrorists kill people they usually make it a spectacle.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Yeah right, the plane flew for hours after. It was heading somewhere otherwise it would have been crashed as soon as the hijacker took control, or as soon as people fought if the hijacker had a determined target.

It seems almost 100% certain the plane was flown towards a goal, but possibly never made it there because people took control back of the plane, or they screwed up.

I think the intelligence teams looking at the list of people on board would have spotted some kind of shady link between such a huge number of passengers.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

Haha. Thankfully you're not in charge of the search. "It's in the ocean, I have no evidence but time to call it off!"

As long as there is even a possibility the plane has been taken somewhere (or if it has crashed), they have to keep looking. it's completely absurd to suggest otherwise.

Nander

There's a terrific summary/wikipost of pretty much everything you need to know about this situation posted over at the FlyerTalk forums. I don't think I've seen it here, and I thought some of you might find it as interesting and informative as I did.

You haven't thought this very thoroughly. If they intended to kill as many as possible, crash it into a building or any other civilian area. Or not. But definitely don't fly for hours into the middle of nowhere. That makes no sense.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How feasible is it that they landed it and intend to reuse it? That theory is seriously terrifying, I need to get told it's bullshit.

It's really the only reason I can think of as to why there would be no ransom demand (assuming the plane landed). And it is indeed quite terrifying. The range on a plane like that could really target anywhere in the world.

Daria

Yeah right, the plane flew for hours after. It was heading somewhere otherwise it would have been crashed as soon as the hijacker took control, or as soon as people fought if the hijacker had a determined target.

It seems almost 100% certain the plane was flown towards a goal, but possibly never made it there because people took control back of the plane, or they screwed up.

Is that not exactly what I just said? Please, the excuse of it flew for hours so it must not be in the ocean is bullshit. And why do you think it would have been crashed right after taking control?

And you can't really screw up a suicide mission if the end result is a missing plane and presumably 239 dead passengers. So..

It's really the only reason I can think of as to why there would be no ransom demand (assuming the plane landed). And it is indeed quite terrifying. The range on a plane like that could really target anywhere in the world.
But like they'd notice it right? I know the plane disappeared, but if it even hit moderately surveyed land in a flight path not mandated or planned, it'd be spotted?

Daria

You haven't thought this very thoroughly. If they intended to kill as many as possible, crash it into a building or any other civilian area. Or not. But definitely don't fly for hours into the middle of nowhere. That makes no sense.

You seem to be assuming the hijackers were a group of extremists. What about the two professional pilots? Are they not able to hijack a plane?

And flying for several hours makes a lot of sense actually, because not only would that confuse everyone on where they intended to go but also where it ended up.

Haha. Thankfully you're not in charge of the search. "It's in the ocean, I have no evidence but time to call it off!"

As long as there is even a possibility the plane has been taken somewhere (or if it has crashed), they have to keep looking. it's completely absurd to suggest otherwise.

Please, let's go spend the next 10 years every day searching the entire Indian Ocean for a plane where we have absolutely no idea where the hell it is. That sounds reasonable.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
But like they'd notice it right? I know the plane disappeared, but if it even hit moderately surveyed land in a flight path not mandated or planned, it'd be spotted?

Depends how far they wanted to go. People keep talking about the plane flying low and below radar. A jet would have less speed and less range at lower altitudes, so the range would not be nearly as far if they were to try flying below radar. Flying at altitude, it would be spotted as soon as they got to land, though no one would probably know it's this plane, and some type of air force would have to intercept it to identify it.

Ollie Pooch

Please, let's go spend the next 10 years every day searching the entire Indian Ocean for a plane where we have absolutely no idea where the hell it is. That sounds reasonable.
Who's 'we'?

So they should just stop looking? Wrap it up? Sure the families would love that. They're looking in locations supported by the info they had at the time. The info changes as more comes to light and they're adjusting accordingly. Which is totally reasonable.

You seem to be assuming the hijackers were a group of extremists. What about the two professional pilots? Are they not able to hijack a plane?

And flying for several hours makes a lot of sense actually, because not only would that confuse everyone on where they intended to go but also where it ended up.
Most investigations look at the evidence, and draw conclusions from that. You're using your own pre chosen outcome and making the evidence fit (and dismissing evidence the plane was still flying and could be over land as an 'excuse') amazing detective skills.

You were the one assuming they were extremist. "You do know that terrorist groups go on suicide missions, right? Where the end result is to kill as many people as possible. This plane had 239 people and that seems like it'd be enough incentive for someone who believes in the after life after completing a mission."

No, flying for hours makes no sense. Why would they need to confuse anyone?

Daria

Most investigations look at the evidence, and draw conclusions from that. You're using your own pre chosen outcome and making the evidence fit (and dismissing evidence the plane was still flying and could be over land as an 'excuse') amazing detective skills.

Ok so you want to go it landed somewhere route. There are only about 600-650 possible runways that would be able to land a 777. Not to mention they would have to be knowledgeable enough to know how to actually land it.

Because terrorist groups claim their acts. They brag about it. They don't do suicide missions just for the hell of it with no greater intent. If the goal was to crash the plane without the plane ever being found, what's the point here exactly? If the goal was to kill as many people as possible, as you say, then why not take other innocents along with it by crashing it onto a city? Why fly it for 8 hours before crashing it? Why fly it towards the middle of nowhere? You're clearly not thinking this through.

They had a plan to land this plane somewhere safely and I'll eat my hat if that's not the case.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Because terrorist groups claim their acts. They brag about it. They don't do suicide missions just for the hell of it with no greater intent. If the goal was to crash the plane without the plane ever being found, what's the point here exactly? If the goal was to kill as many people as possible, as you say, then why not take other innocents along with it by crashing it onto a city? Why fly it for 8 hours before crashing it? Why fly it towards the middle of nowhere? You're clearly not thinking this through.

They had a plan to land this plane somewhere safely and I'll eat my hat if that's not the case.

Or were aiming at a specific target. And in both cases they may have never made it there.

Also this is a very long shot but... is it feasible to land a 777 on an aircraft carrier? Just sayin...

I'm out.

FtsH

I'm afraid as every second passes by, the plane is getting closer and closer to finish its maintenance/repair and ready to takeoff for the real attack mission...

Ollie Pooch

Ok so you want to go it landed somewhere route. There are only about 600-650 possible runways that would be able to land a 777. Not to mention they would have to be knowledgeable enough to know how to actually land it.
There's info coming out now that the pilots could have been directly involved. Are you dismissing those claims, too? They would know how to fly it (and land it!) amazing, I know.

Why are you assuming there were others involved without any evidence? I cannot believe you seriously think just calling off the search is reasonable, given the personal cost to the families involved and the massive security risk. Insanity.

Or were aiming at a specific target. And in both cases they may have never made it there.

One would think that whoever planned this shit and carried it out to perfection for 8 hours straight, especially if it's the pilot themselves, wouldn't have neglected a detail as massive as the distance covered by the fuel supply.

Daria

There's info coming out now that the pilots could have been directly involved. Are you dismissing those claims, too? They would know how to fly it (and land it!) amazing, I know.

Why are you assuming there were others involved without any evidence? I cannot believe you seriously think just calling off the search is reasonable, given the personal cost to the families involved and the massive security risk. Insanity.

I'm pretty sure I made a claim a few posts back that it could also be the pilots who hijacked it. So yeah, they'll be able to land it but where? I'll wait here while it takes the next 10 years to find out.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Also this is a very long shot but... is it feasible to land a 777 on an aircraft carrier? Just sayin...
NWX7X46.gif

Nander

There are not many aircraft carriers in the world:
All-The-Worlds-Aircraft-Carriers.gif

If one of them went rogue, it would be much bigger news than even a 777 disappearing. Also, not even close to enough runway on any of these for a plane as big as a 777.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom