• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daria

One would think that whoever planned this shit and carried it out to perfection for 8 hours straight, especially if it's the pilot themselves, wouldn't have neglected a detail as massive as the distance covered by the fuel supply.

Or part of the planning was "fly this plane until there's no more fuel and then crash". Or is that just too extreme to even be realistic?

Falk

that puzzling face
Aircraft carrier: 333m

Touchdown runway required: 1,860m

I guess it's plausible if the aircraft carrier traveled the remaining 1,527m in the same direction during the time it takes for the 777 to come to a complete standstill.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
One would think that whoever planned this shit and carried it out to perfection for 8 hours straight, especially if it's the pilot themselves, wouldn't have neglected a detail as massive as the distance covered by the fuel supply.

Unless the crew or passengers neutralized the pilot hijacker, in which case they are at night with no idea where they are and unable to communicate with anyone. By the time there is daylight they might be in the middle of nowhere and run out of fuel two or three hours later.

Tell me: if the pilot was the hijacker and the other pilot had been killed, and the communication system had been disabled; what can the people on board do after neutralizing the plane? Oh, right; run out of fuel.

Towels

Banned
How feasible is it that they landed it and intend to reuse it? That theory is seriously terrifying, I need to get told it's bullshit.

I would suppose that a plan like that would have too much risk of failure.

We've seen how effective a weapon a plane filled with fuel can be. If I was able to successfully high jack a plane, with murderous intent, I would crash it immediately, not try to take it home first.

FtsH

There are not many aircraft carriers in the world:
All-The-Worlds-Aircraft-Carriers.gif

If one of them went rogue, it would be much bigger news than even a 777 disappearing. Also, not even close to enough runway on any of these for a plane as big as a 777.

what are those on the left side?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm pretty sure I made a claim a few posts back that it could also be the pilots who hijacked it. So yeah, they'll be able to land it but where? I'll wait here while it takes the next 10 years to find out.
I'm glad they have people who do actual good work, then, while you sit on your ass complaining about how it's taken so long (only a week, so far). I'm sure the families would appreciate their loved ones being abandoned if they just 'called off' the search, along with the dangers of a stolen 250 ton airliner potentially in the wrong hands.

Daria

I'm glad they have people who do actual good work, then, while you sit on your ass complaining about how it's taken so long (only a week, so far). I'm sure the families would appreciate their loved ones being abandoned if they just 'called off' the search, along with the dangers of a stolen 250 ton airliner potentially in the wrong hands.

I'm complaining? No I'm not. I'm only saying that they are not going to find this plane in a week. I'm optimistic they'll find it one day but it won't be soon.

Ovid

India has to monitor its airspace 24/7 because of Pakistan. They have launched naval assault before, so India has to remain vigilant. I really doubt a plane could fly over all those Indian states without being detected
Just stumbled upon this.

"TOO EXPENSIVE"

Air traffic systems rely almost entirely on on-board transponders to detect and monitor aircraft. In this case, those systems appear to have been deactivated around the time the aircraft crossed from Malaysian to Vietnamese responsibility.

At the very least, the incident looks set to spark calls to make it impossible for those on board an aircraft to turn off its transponders and disappear.

Military systems, meanwhile, are often limited in their own coverage or just ignore aircraft they believe are on regular commercial flights. In some cases, they are simply switched off except during training and when a threat is expected.

That, one senior Indian official said, might explain why the Boeing 777 was not detected by installations on India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands, an archipelago which its planes were searching on Friday and Saturday, or elsewhere.

"We have many radar systems operating in this area, but nothing was picked up," Rear Admiral Sudhir Pillai, chief of staff of India's Andamans and Nicobar Command, told Reuters. "It's possible that the military radars were switched off as we operate on an 'as required' basis."

Separately, a defense source said that India did not keep its radar facilities operational at all times because of cost. Asked what the reason was, the source said: "Too expensive."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/15/us-malaysia-airlines-defence-idUSBREA2E0JT20140315

Like I said before, no country would be willing to admit an aircraft penetrated it's airspace undetected.

MIMIC

Banned
The people on CNN are saying that the flight simulator found in the pilot's home is a red flag and that it is VERY unusual for a pilot to have that.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't know, go ask someone who hijacked a plane. Im sure they had a reason.
Can you show me another hijacking where someone just flew the plane until the gas ran out in the middle of the ocean.
The people on CNN are saying that the flight simulator found in the pilot's home is a red flag and that it is VERY unusual for a pilot to have that.
CNN is stupid as shit. There I said it. I know a few pilots that have flight sims. It's not unusual. You can only get so much time in the real thing. CNN needs to stop spreading FUD.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I wonder if this is just like those 70s style ransom airplane hijackings... And the reason they did it super stealthy is because post-9/11 governments are going to assume the plane is a weapon and shoot it down first, no negotiations.

There are not many aircraft carriers in the world:
All-The-Worlds-Aircraft-Carriers.gif

If one of them went rogue, it would be much bigger news than even a 777 disappearing. Also, not even close to enough runway on any of these for a plane as big as a 777.

Godamn, what a beautiful picture. Right up there with the bald eagle ..usa!

Dishwalla

Banned
Also this is a very long shot but... is it feasible to land a 777 on an aircraft carrier? Just sayin...

Hell no, there's barely enough runway to land the F-18s on our aircraft carriers, that's why they have the arresting devices. Also why the landing of the jets requires precise timing and training, lest the planes continue off the edge of the ship. It's not exactly a safe job.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Probably hasn't happened. But just because there is no other case of that happening means that it isn't possible? Ok.
No but i'm saying this goes against the goals of most terrorists. Insight terror. I'm not saying your theory is incorrect I'm saying this looks like some sort of caper/mystery at this point.
They tried to land and flew along the coast. As far as I can tell they weren't trying to drop the plane in the middle of the ocean. They were trying to get OKed to land.

Salmonax

Hell no, there's barely enough runway to land the F-18s on our aircraft carriers, that's why they have the arresting devices. Also why the landing of the jets requires precise timing and training, lest the planes continue off the edge of the ship. It's not exactly a safe job.

Yep. I'm no expert, but it seems aircraft carriers are roughly half the length of a runway required for a 777.

THE:MILKMAN

Maybe a silly question, but didn't any other aircraft in the airspace MH370 is known to have been "see" it?

I wonder how many other planes were flying in the area at the time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

What kind of flight simulator? It's not unusual for people with a passion for aviation to set up home simulators using Flight Sim X. With the right equipment, you can actually use Flight Sim X to log real simulator hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom