• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of flight simulator? It's not unusual for people with a passion for aviation to set up home simulators using Flight Sim X. With the right equipment, you can actually use Flight Sim X to log real simulator hours.

Yeah, I remember reading about a guy who built a 1:1 repro cockpit for his simulator.

Just stumbled upon this.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/15/us-malaysia-airlines-defence-idUSBREA2E0JT20140315

Like I said before, no country would be willing to admit an aircraft penetrated it's airspace undetected.
There are so many states in India. I can imagine the plane flying flying over one or two states, not the entire country.

Senior IAF and Navy officers admitted there were "a few gaps" in India's civil and military radar networks but stressed it would be "virtually impossible" for a jetliner to fly undetected across the Indian mainland. "The five Airports Authority of India radars at Delhi, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Chennai and Mumbai are integrated with IAF's air defence network. The possibility is far-fetched," said an officer.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-undetected-Military/articleshow/32102334.cms

This is a much better source

MIMIC

Banned
Wow. CNN did a really great job explaining what those red lines meant (and about the satellite that picked it up the "ping"). If only I had seen that earlier :)

Just stumbled upon this.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/15/us-malaysia-airlines-defence-idUSBREA2E0JT20140315

Like I said before, no country would be willing to admit an aircraft penetrated it's airspace undetected.

This has been my theory all along. Everyone kept ruling out flying over land near India and China because it would have been "impossible" to do so without being detected and challenged. We'll see. My guess is that the airspace isn't as impenetrable as people think. You'd need people monitoring everything 24/7 and systems monitoring everything 24/7. I bet that doesn't happen everywhere.

crozier

This has been my theory all along. Everyone kept ruling out flying over land near India and China because it would have been "impossible" to do so without being detected and challenged. We'll see. My guess is that the airspace isn't as impenetrable as people think. You'd need people monitoring everything 24/7 and systems monitoring everything 24/7. I bet that doesn't happen everywhere.
The problem I have with this theory is how do you plan for it? Do you simply cross your fingers and hope no one is watching the skies? This wasn't a by the seat of their pants operation...it was meticulously planned and executed by people who knew exactly what they were doing.

This is a very hostile region. You got India and Pakistan who hate each other, China and India arent friends and there is US in Afghanistan. All nuclear armed countries with varying degrees of hostility, you think a 777 can just fly all over them?

No fucking chance.

apana

I have no doubt there are vulnerabilities and inefficiencies in the Indian and Chinese detection systems but if this was planned the pilot would have to know about it beforehand. He couldn't just go into India or China and hope he got lucky.

crozier

There's apparently massive tension between Shias and Sunnis in Malaysia too, to the point that aspects of Shia are criminalized. This could very well turn out to be an internal religious conflict too. I imagine they're going to dig extensively into the pilot and copilot's backgrounds...

Why also forget the robust air defence networks of countries like Pakistan, fully-geared towards India, or the US-led forces in Afghanistan or Iran for that matter, all of which would have been on this so-called flight arc," he added.

Former IAF vice-chief Air Marshal P K Barbora, in turn, added, "Both India and Pakistan are very wary of any blip that comes up on their radars...it's very unlikely that a plane could have flown across the vast stretch of land without being detected by one or some other country. An aircraft flying low to avoid radars would not be able to go such a long distance."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-undetected-Military/articleshow/32102334.cms

No way did this plane fly over that region

quaere

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I don't think I've seen this theory posted yet:

MH370 shadowed another plane, specifically a KLM flight that would have been in the right place. Close enough, and it would have appeared as one plane to radar.

TCAS systems (to alert aircraft of other nearby aircraft) require the transponder to be turned on in both planes. So if MH370 had turned theirs off and were behind they would be invisible to the KLM flight.

I have no doubt there are vulnerabilities and inefficiencies in the Indian and Chinese detection systems but if this was planned the pilot would have to know about it beforehand. He couldn't just go into India or China and hope he got lucky.
True, which is probably why he flew over Myanmar, Bhutan, Tibet, and up through the Himalayas. I don't know why people aren't talking about that possibility.

Vamphuntr

I really doubt the plane landed somewhere. There would be many witnesses already if that was the case. The Boeing 777 is huge, you need to land that at an airport and it wouldn't go unnoticed. It would also mean that the mastermind behind this was able to trick air traffic controllers to allow them to land somewhere. And this suppose the military of whatever country they've crossed allowed an unidentified plane into the air space in a post 9/11 world. And even if you managed to land, you need to dispose of 240 people/bodies and hide the plane somewhere. The only solution to these problems would be that the country itself was part of the operation and that seems rather insane. There would be intelligence gathered at this point if that whole conspiracy really happened.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I don't think I've seen this theory posted yet:

MH370 shadowed another plane, specifically a KLM flight that would have been in the right place. Close enough, and it would have appeared as one plane to radar.

TCAS systems (to alert aircraft of other nearby aircraft) require the transponder to be turned on in both planes. So if MH370 had turned theirs off and were behind they would be invisible to the KLM flight.

Except the wake turbulence would wreak havoc on the MH370 if it was flying anywhere near that close.

crozier

It's a 777 not an F-16. They'd have to get lucky enough to spot the plane and jump into its flight path at just the right moment. It's not a pursuit aircraft, so if they missed their window that would be that.

goomba

Banned
All the supposed modern technology , surveillance and spying by the NSA ,
interpol, the five eyes nations etc and they cant even find a plane.

Ty4on

No but i'm saying this goes against the goals of most terrorists. Insight terror. I'm not saying your theory is incorrect I'm saying this looks like some sort of caper/mystery at this point.

They tried to land and flew along the coast. As far as I can tell they weren't trying to drop the plane in the middle of the ocean. They were trying to get OKed to land.

I don't think the hijackers wanted the plane to land safely. Leul's Wiki page (the pilot) says this about the crash.
Leul on purpose flew near the coastline against the will of the hijackers.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't think the hijackers wanted the plane to land safely. Leul's (the pilot) Wiki page says this about the crash.

Accept they initially wanted asylum no? Seems like the hijackers were just deranged. On top of that they had no concept of how much fuel was in the plane(i guess that could have happened in the current case too).

I watched a video on this after reading the earlier post.

quaere

Except the wake turbulence would wreak havoc on the MH370 if it was flying anywhere near that close.
Could wake issues be mitigated by flying above/below? Radar is two dimensional isn't it? (Distance not height).
It's a 777 not an F-16. They'd have to get lucky enough to spot the plane and jump into its flight path at just the right moment. It's not a pursuit aircraft, so if they missed their window that would be that.
If both planes are programmed to fly the same aviation corridors/waypoints wouldn't the autopilot lead them on the exact same path? Then for MH370 it's just a matter of slowing down until the KLM plane passes by.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Could wake issues be mitigated by flying above/below? Radar is two dimensional isn't it? (Distance not height).

If both planes are programmed to fly the same aviation corridors/waypoints wouldn't the autopilot lead them on the exact same path? Then for MH370 it's just a matter of slowing down until the KLM plane passes by.

Radar is line of sight. You would have to constantly adjust your position to be int he exactly same line as the other plane and never be in range of two radar stations.

So no.

Also, when flying on corridors over water (at least Atlantic corridors) pilots program in a flight path deviation of a few miles to add in some extra precautions against planes hitting each other.

apana

There's apparently massive tension between Shias and Sunnis in Malaysia too, to the point that aspects of Shia are criminalized. This could very well turn out to be an internal religious conflict too. I imagine they're going to dig extensively into the pilot and copilot's backgrounds...

It seems a bit strange they haven't done this already. Anyways initially I was more suspicious of the younger one. The older one was being described as a model citizen but today I think I read a report that the older one was heavily into politics, something we hadn't heard earlier.

Even if they are able to find the black box, we will never know what happened inside the cockpit. Since the pilots turned off the transponder and acars, they must have shut down the cvr as well. This is Silk Air 185 all over again

It seems a bit strange they haven't done this already. Anyways initially I was more suspicious of the younger one. The older one was being described as a model citizen but today I think I read a report that the older one was heavily into politics, something we hadn't heard earlier.
Believe me, they have been digging into these guys from the moment the plane was discovered missing. By "they" I mean Malaysian authorities as well as US, Chinese, and likely other nations' intelligence.

They are busy profiling everyone on board that plane I am sure.

Dishwalla

Banned
Its not like the US Navy is stockpiling them, they are slowly decreasing them.

Half are stationed Atlantic, etc
Half are Pacific based

Or something like that I think.

We aren't decreasing them at all, the only aircraft carrier to get decommissioned in recent years is the Enterprise, and that's because it was old as dirt. It's already being replaced by the Gerald R. Ford, which should be in the fleet in a couple years.

And we have carriers stationed in Norfolk, San Diego, Japan, and Washington, although the Navy is trying to move at least one of the Norfolk based carriers to Mayport, Florida.

Ty4on

Accept they initially wanted asylum no? Seems like the hijackers were just deranged. On top of that they had no concept of how much fuel was in the plane(i guess that could have happened in the current case too).

I watched a video on this after reading the earlier post.

Still begs the question of why Australia? Europe is closer though still too far away.

Jenov

I don't think the hijackers wanted the plane to land safely. Leul's Wiki page (the pilot) says this about the crash.

That Leul guy is a badass, holy shit. He's lived through 3 hijacking!

Phthisis

My dad seems to think the plane was destined as an attack on Diego Garcia military base: (https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...2!3m1!1s0x249273fe6d69b0ad:0x3b3c07570eb0d1c5)

It's one of the most strategically important military bases in the world for the US thanks to it's location and isolation. It's also thought to be home to some CIA black ops and interrogation centers, used during the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. It's primarily used as a home port for US Navy logistics ships. Judging by the google maps images available, they have at least ten B-52 bombers stationed there in addition to other aircraft (as well as two baseball fields and two tennis courts, fun).

It's close geographically, and it represents a location of some controversy thanks to reports that detained terrorist suspects were illegally held and tortured there in the last decade or so.

Thought it was an interesting theory. Looks like the range of the plane could have gotten it there with the fuel load if it had taken the south route they suspect it could have gone.

Obviously no information suggests that, but if you were a terrorist in that part of the world and wanted to make a statement, that sure would be one way to do it. Interesting to think about, in any case.

My dad seems to think the plane was destined as an attack on Diego Garcia military base: (https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...2!3m1!1s0x249273fe6d69b0ad:0x3b3c07570eb0d1c5)

It's one of the most strategically important military bases in the world for the US thanks to it's location and isolation. It's also thought to be home to some CIA black ops and interrogation centers, used during the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. It's primarily used as a home port for US Navy logistics ships. Judging by the google maps images available, they have at least ten B-52 bombers stationed there in addition to other aircraft (as well as two baseball fields and two tennis courts, fun).

It's close geographically, and it represents a location of some controversy thanks to reports that detained terrorist suspects were illegally held and tortured there in the last decade or so.

Thought it was an interesting theory. Looks like the range of the plane could have gotten it there with the fuel load if it had taken the south route they suspect it could have gone.

Obviously no information suggests that, but if you were a terrorist in that part of the world and wanted to make a statement, that sure would be one way to do it. Interesting to think about, in any case.

Very interesting

Dishwalla

Banned

Yep, I've been there before.

you cant fly there blind.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

How large is this base? The plane would be low on fuel and while they might be able to damage a few buildings, just look at how (relatively) little damage was done to the pentagon.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
you cant fly there blind.

Why would it be flying blind? The known path aligns with that location, and by the end there would be daylight too. It would seem highly risky though, because the plane would likely be spotted. But I guess the hostages on board would be used to cause hesitation. One way or another it puts the US in a difficult position if it has to take it down.

It kind of makes sense actually.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Please stop assuming the corridor is where the flight ended. That's just the last signature they have from it. The problem is that it couldn't have gone much further than 30 min - 1 hour from those two big red lines considering it had been in the air 7+ hours when that ping hit.

ramuh

seriosly, how hard can it be in todays time

Even if there is a satellite image somewhere in some country, maybe the image could give away capabilities that they don't won't disclosed? I dunno.

I think the world (the part connected by internet/etc) sometime forgets how vast our planet is. Such a huge place, and a lot of water. To me for it to be this long gone without finding it means it is probably in the ocean somewhere.

Dishwalla

Banned
Like you were stationed there, or you took a nice vacation and visited the troops?

My last ship pulled in there for a couple days while on deployment several years back. I think we were getting fuel or something, don't really remember. There wasn't a whole lot to do there except drink(which for us was great since it had been a little while since our last port), but there were a ton of planes and some USNS ships there.

Can anyone explain why they don't have a GPS in the black box that activates when an event occurs (such as no longer receiving signals from onboard the plane)? I know that in the event of an ocean crash it would be useless but if it's somewhere over land wouldn't that give a good enough reading to locate it?

Phthisis

How large is this base? The plane would be low on fuel and while they might be able to damage a few buildings, just look at how (relatively) little damage was done to the pentagon.

3,000 - 5,000 permanent stationed military personnel and civilian employees. Also has 213,000 cubic meters of fuel storage tanks. Diego Garcia was the staging point for a lot of the US Navy's ops in the Middle East during the 1990 Gulf War. If you manage to effectively target and destroy the logistics operations of the base, it creates a tough situation for the US military in the region.

EDIT - It's also got anchorage facilities for the largest aircraft carriers in the US Navy. As mentioned above, it's a popular port for USNS ships and other non-combat vessels (hell, just look at the google maps link I provided to see how many big ships are in the lagoon).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom