• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

3,000 - 5,000 permanent stationed military personnel and civilian employees. Also has 213,000 cubic meters of fuel storage tanks. Diego Garcia was the staging point for a lot of the US Navy's ops in the Middle East during the 1990 Gulf War. If you manage to effectively target and destroy the logistics operations of the base, it creates a tough situation for the US military in the region.

EDIT - It's also got anchorage facilities for the largest aircraft carriers in the US Navy. As mentioned above, it's a popular port for USNS ships and other non-combat vessels (hell, just look at the google maps link I provided to see how many big ships are in the lagoon).
Um, I'm going to assume that a facility like this has defenses like radar and SAMs, and being that there is no civilian airport there, there would be no reason that an airliner approaching it would be a normal and innocuous occurrence.

ramuh

Isn't there an additional transponder that goes off on impact?

I remember seeing a BBC thing a few days ago that said all the communications run on ten different generators through out the plane. Major redundancies. Usually something catastrophic/deliberate manipulation/complete mechanical failure has to take place to completely rid of communications.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Um, I'm going to assume that a facility like this has defenses like radar and SAMs, and being that there is no civilian airport there, there would be no reason that an airliner approaching it would be a normal and innocuous occurrence.

Oh yeah, except that it makes sense since you could already imagine how the US would be in deep trouble if it had to take down an airplane full of passengers because its base on the other side of the planet rumored to be used by the CIA was targeted.

That's exactly the kind of target or situation they would want to put the US in.

Phthisis

Like I said, just an interesting theory he gave me while we were talking about it. I'm not saying it's true or that was the motive, but with a lack of anything concrete, you try and find possibilities based on the facts that are out there.

WoodWERD

Here's a take from some graffiti artists in China...anyone know what the characters say?

gas-malaysia.jpg

HoosTrax

Here's a take from some graffiti artists in China...anyone know what the characters say?
The left two characters just say China. I have no idea what the right side is even supposed to be, too stylized. Seeing as how it's the Malaysian flag, I'm gonna guess that it's just "Malaysia" in Mandarin script.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If it was headed to the base the group that planned it wouldve taken responsibility by now?

Maybe not, because it didn't achieve its goal; it didn't hurt the US, it only killed innocent people, a lot of them Chinese. They would not want to attract attention from intelligence agencies until a successful attack.

Linkhero1

what? no

why would they reveal themselves?

if it was headed to a base, what they would want everyone believing is that it already crashed due to some mechanical failure
Hard to do that when there's no real sign of a crash. As of now it's considered missing. If that was the hijackers intention then they've failed at that.

WorldStar

Banned
Hard to do that when there's no real sign of a crash. As of now it's considered missing. If that was the hijackers intention then they've failed at that.

I have no clue whether there even is hijackers, let alone what their intentions were/are

I was merely suggesting that if they have not yet accomplished their goal, they would not be claiming responsibility yet

btw, as someone who has been watching this in the news non stop since day 1, up until pretty much the press conference last night every major news outlet was still subtly implying/suggesting it crashed

Maybe not, because it didn't achieve its goal; it didn't hurt the US, it only killed innocent people, a lot of them Chinese. They would not want to attract attention from intelligence agencies until a successful attack.

exactly

Haven't seen it posted here but CNN is reporting that officials are now focusing on the South Indian Ocean route.

NY Times reported the US investigators were focusing on the southern corridor as well. The question is, does the US have additional intelligence to support this? Or is it based on confidence that the 777 couldn't have taken the Asia route undetected?

Linkhero1

I have no clue whether there even is hijackers, let alone what their intentions were/are

I was merely suggesting that if they have not yet accomplished their goal, they would not be claiming responsibility yet

btw, as someone who has been watching this in the news non stop since day 1, up until pretty much the press conference last night every major news outlet was still suggesting it crashed

exactly

Well, I still maintain the position that it crashed. I'm only saying that if there were hijackers involved and they had malicious intentions that they would have striked by now. They've given countries room to monitor their air traffic.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They would want to reveal the US shot down the hostages.

With no proof? Not really, they would probably prefer to try again. Terrorists tend to be rather patient if you have looked at known cases, especially when they have tried to target the US. Plus, it may have just run out of fuel, they have no idea really. Anyone can claim the US took down any plane, they would probably prefer to go back to the drawing board. This seems like it would have put the US in a very difficult situation, I can't even imagine the US pulling out of this without its image being impacted negatively regardless of what the response would have been. It seems like the kind of plan that would be their favorite in shoring up complaints against US military presence abroad.

Ovid

Like I said, just an interesting theory he gave me while we were talking about it. I'm not saying it's true or that was the motive, but with a lack of anything concrete, you try and find possibilities based on the facts that are out there.
If the plane was destined for that target it didn't reach. That would mean it crash somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

HoosTrax

The left side says 'China'. I'm guessing the right side says 'Malaysia' (it's a bit stylized). Doesn't seem to be anything particularly offensive or derogatory in that graffiti.
My interpretation of the graffiti is that it's saying that the Illuminati sucked the missing plane up into a black hole in the sky.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
NY Times reported the US investigators were focusing on the southern corridor as well. The question is, does the US have additional intelligence to support this? Or is it based on confidence that the 777 couldn't have taken the Asia route undetected?

Probably both, right?

Trouble

Banned
Well they probably used arrester cables for the C-130 but anyway yeah... No way a triple 7 could land on a carrier. Heck it would probably be hard to crash on a carrer with a 777 lol.

That's what I thought at first, but the article mentions that they actually didn't.

MIMIC

Banned
I was just thinking: if in a month this thing isn't found, it'll slowly exit the news cycle and people will get back to talking about other things.

...and then we'll get to take a look at the more creative conspiracy theories.

crozier

I was just thinking: if in a month this thing isn't found, it'll slowly exit the news cycle and people will get back to talking about other things.

I need answers. Seriously. I don't think my brain could handle the number of "what ifs" in this case. I'm usually pretty impervious to conspiracy nonsense, but this thing is nuts no matter how you look at it.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

More creative than some of the baseless insanity already pushed in this thread after people completely pulled it out of their deluded anuses?

It being hijacked [by x group] and flown somewhere before secretly landing so it can be loaded with North Korean nukes and then flown into the US? Like two thirds of the people in this thread need to stop posting and take their thorazine.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
JSod3sv.jpg

rAnWZ5O.jpg

The change of direction is pretty much a match for DG.

And it's exactly where the Pentagon said they were going to search; south Indian Ocean.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It makes sense, but how did it then end up so far away? Did someone fight the hijackers?
jJ5el2x.jpg

It's possible, or the info that has spread in the media about the radar ping is incorrect/misunderstood. We also don't know how the pilot would keep aim. It makes sense he turned the plane around to aim, then shut some things down to avoid detection, but this could have made it more difficult for him to direct the aircraft towards a precise location. Someone with aircraft knowledge would be better positioned to know. But again, maybe this whole radar ping thing isn't what it has been made out to be.

Uh, for that to be true, you have to ignore the satellite data. Plus it goes over Indonesia which is another silly risk to take if you're actually planning to do that.

Making wild theories by ignoring data is pretty easy.

And saying the Pentagon is wrong is looking into the Indian Ocean is what?

Totakeke

Uh, for that to be true, you have to ignore the satellite data. Plus it goes over Indonesia which is another silly risk to take if you're actually planning to do that.

Making wild theories by ignoring data is pretty easy.

Red Comet

I just can't understand why the plane was flown to the Indian Ocean unless there was a specific destination in that direction. If somebody wanted to bring it down they could have done so in the Pacific or even over Malaysia. It's quite possible that they got disoriented (especially at night) and got lost at sea, but the change in direction definitely indicates a destination and I hope we found out what that was.

Falk

that puzzling face
Perhaps incorrect data was a reason the 1730pm presser was cancelled yesterday. Considering how careful the Malaysian authority has been on painstakingly verifying everything, an error of that magnitude might have needed at least a few hours more than when the presser was to re-consider everything.

On the flipside there -were- foreign embassy briefings about a possible landing at the border between China/Kyrgyzstan seems to support the satellite-derived two corridor theory, though.

I really hope they have a press conference today to clear up some of the questions that have developed over the past 30 hours.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Perhaps incorrect data was a reason the 1730pm presser was cancelled yesterday. Considering how careful the Malaysian authority has been on painstakingly verifying everything, an error of that magnitude might have needed at least a few hours more than when the presser was to re-consider everything.

On the flipside there -were- foreign embassy briefings about a possible landing at the border between China/Kyrgyzstan seems to support the satellite-derived two corridor theory, though.

I really hope they have a press conference today to clear up some of the questions that have developed over the past 30 hours.

Problem with the satellite thing is it contradicts the turn-around info. That red line is close to where the plane was before it turned around. Why would the plane have turned around AGAIN to end up on the red line numerous hours later?

Falk

that puzzling face
What are you even talking about? Obviously they have to map out the entire circumference of possibility. No one's saying the plane HAS to have landed where the line intersects Indonesia just because the line does go all the way up there.

There's speculation on motives, which we have zero facts, and there's the 8:11AM satellite ping, which HAS to be physical fact unless someone comes out and says that particular data is mistaken.

MIMIC

Banned
CHEEZMO™;104549526 said:
More creative than some of the baseless insanity already pushed in this thread after people completely pulled it out of their deluded anuses?

I'm talkin aliens!

Unless, of course, that has already been discussed =p

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I just can't understand why the plane was flown to the Indian Ocean unless there was a specific destination in that direction. If somebody wanted to bring it down they could have done so in the Pacific or even over Malaysia. It's quite possible that they got disoriented (especially at night) and got lost at sea, but the change in direction definitely indicates a destination and I hope we found out what that was.
The destination is nowhere. There is nothing in the south Indian ocean. They wanted to crash the plane in the ocean and make sure it was never found. Why? Who knows why, for insurance money, spite for people, etc.

It may be the more boring theory since flying northwest leaves a lot of speculation about where they would try to land and who would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom