• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

raindoc

Is it possible that the satellite pings were sent from a plane submerged in shallow waters after an emergency landing?
And, if so, could the signal be weakened by the water and thus be mistaken with a position further away but above ground (that has the same signal intensity/response time/whatever it is they used to come up with the distance)?

was scouring on Tomnod and found this.

R6mo8kt.png

crozier

Is it possible that the satellite pings were sent from a plane submerged in shallow waters after an emergency landing?
And, if so, could the signal be weakened by the water and thus be mistaken with a position further away but above ground (that has the same signal intensity/response time/whatever it is they used to come up with the distance)?
I wondered this same thing, but it sounds like the pings were sent at regular intervals and the increasing timing between them suggested a constant flight path.

Which part? The discoloured water or the object that seems to be slightly submerged in the bottom left? Both things don't look like digital artifacts to me...

The area of discoloured water, if you look closely, has a number straight line features which makes the whole area suspect and almost certainly an image artifact.

crozier

That kinda sorta maybe looks like their example of a life raft.

EDIT: Maybe a person on the south-east corner of it kicking? Worth submitting, IMO.

Falk

that puzzling face

Quoting press conference (although this was a question regarding if the pings could have been while the plane has landed) the pings could have come from a grounded craft as long as there was electrical power.

As to the second part I find it hard to believe FAA, NTSB and AAIB would all have overlooked that possibility considering the entire southern corridor is deep ocean.

hom3land

Who pays for the oil tanker to deviate and take part of the search? Malaysian gov't? Are the ships owners bound by int'l law to take part in the search? Or could they have said no?

KHarvey16

Who pays for the oil tanker to deviate and take part of the search? Malaysian gov't? Are the ships owners bound by int'l law to take part in the search? Or could they have said no?

I think maritime law obligates them to help out with rescues if it's safe to do so.

Raist

Banned
I think maritime law obligates them to help out with rescues if it's safe to do so.

That's certainly true in case of another ship in distress. Not sure if it applies to "there might be something there, please re-route your ship and investigate".

Wickerman

No, actually, using some photograph, reddit claimed it matched a person who was reporting as missing Brown University student. Of course, media picked it up too but were a more reluctant than the witch hunt on Reddit.

See More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Sunil_Tripathi

Fuckers caused so much anguish to the family of a missing student, his family like took down facbook page dedicated to finding Sunil.

Ah yes, you are right. I totally forgot about Sunil.

The bag men 'suspects' also originated from that silly subreddit though.

Trouble

Banned
So does the internet know more than the news media are telling us?

If the Boston bombing taught us anything, it's that what the internet knows that the media isn't reporting is invariably wrong. Although the media reported tons of wrong things during that time, too.

That looks like a Shark eating something.
That would be an enormous shark - about 20 metres long? There seems to be some wake, so I guess it's just a weird looking boat. The other shot however, does look like something submerged - there's no wake.

Thinking about it though... I guess it could be boat too, and it's just a weird effect of two photographs overlapping - assuming that can happen with Tomnod?

Deku Tree

If the Boston bombing taught us anything, it's that what the internet knows that the media isn't reporting is invariably wrong. Although the media reported tons of wrong things during that time, too.

Watched a piece on CNN where the reporter repeated the same thing twice and then got into a discussion about one of the pilots saying "goodnight."

They know nothing.

It will be interesting to find out how this thing went down. I hope all those innocent people on board are still alive.

HoosTrax

It's hilarious to think that NSA wouldn't have the capability to automatically batch-analyze large volumes of imagery to search for anomalies. There are algorithms and sensors just for that purposes.

The pictures that these places like Tomnod and Google Earth have are just standard, visible light imagery. There are hyperspectral imaging sensors that exist that are able to detect things like metal objects and oil slicks from the air.

People like trying to play Internet hero I guess.

Stet

Banned
Can you imagine being on that Greek ship?

"Boys, we need to suspend current operations for a few hours. Reddit has orders."

liquidtmd

Banned
Can you imagine being on that Greek ship?

"Boys, we need to suspend current operations for a few hours. Reddit has orders."

"Sir, agreed. We need to hold. Reddit has sounded the alarm. GAF may still give us something. Were awaiting confirmation from 4chan"

crozier

Once you've looked at 1000+ images, you'll start to ignore those "boats" pretty quick. Weird little things like that crop up every 50 images or so. No matter where you look.

Raist

Banned
Once you've looked at 1000+ images, you'll start to ignore those "boats" pretty quick. Weird little things like that crop up every 50 images or so. No matter where you look.

Huh. I've looked at nearly 2k, and they all like this:

QU30PQx.png

Apart from these two:

5DorV6O.png

ZKHG0jW.png

Not saying it's anything remottely important, but it's really not that frequent at all. At least not in the area I'm browsing.

Man, where the fuck is that plane...

the longer it goes with nothing, the more I think it's 'stashed' someplace. If it crashed, I can't help but thinking we'd have SOMETHING to go on by now.

No idea where you hide a plane the size of a football field though...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
the longer it goes with nothing, the more I think it's 'stashed' someplace. If it crashed, I can't help but thinking we'd have SOMETHING to go on by now.

No idea where you hide a plane the size of a football field though...

you know how many football fields you could hide in the ocean?

Theonik

What hasn't been discussed to any great detail is the plausability of a John Varley Air Raid scenario where the passengers have been kidnapped by genetically corrupt humans in the future as a last ditch effort to save the species.
I think with the data we have right now we can't deny this possibility and it should seriously be considered. Trying to trace the origins of the corruption might also be of benefit to the future.

Has the "Air Raid"/ "Millennium" (short story and B-movie from 1989) conspiracy theory been thrown out there yet?

If not then let me be the first to go there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom