• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

crozier

But now how they hide a 777 with almost 300 people for a week without being detected at all? There's 25 countires searching for it and satellites looking at everything. This was either planned perfectly or this was just an one in a million accident which ended up shrouded in mystery.
Well, the passengers and crew would be dead. One theory is that the reason the pilot(s) climbed to 45,000 feet was to induce hypoxia in passengers and remaining flight crew. At that altitude in an unpressurized cabin, you only have 9-15 seconds of consciousness. Good luck getting out of your seat, let alone organizing a resistance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness

Also: the flight deck is on a separate oxygen supply than the cabin. A circuit breaker would stop the masks from deploying due to any sudden decompression.

Megasoum

Banned
Well, the passengers and crew would be dead. One theory is that the reason the pilot(s) climbed to 45,000 feet was to induce hypoxia in passengers and remaining flight crew. At that altitude in an unpressurized cabin, you only have 9-15 seconds of consciousness. Good luck getting out of your seat, let alone organizing a resistance...

Also: the flight deck is on a separate oxygen supply than the cabin. A circuit breaker would stop the masks from deploying due to any sudden decompression.

The problem with that theory is that the same can be done as easily at 35 000 feets. There's really no reason to waste a TON of fuel to get to 45k.

crozier

The problem with that theory is that the same can be done as easily at 35 000 feets. There's really no reason to waste a TON of fuel to get to 45k.

Not as quickly, which is important for one big reason:

Oxygen supply. Even in the cabin, emergency oxygen is only good for 15 minutes. Once it starts flowing, you need to get back down ASAP. This makes disabling/killing flight crew and passengers as efficiently as possible a priority. And they are killed much faster at 45,000 feet than 35,000 feet.

It also gives them less time to figure out what's going on and to resist, although frankly a minute of useful consciousness probably isn't enough time to do much of anything.

There's... nothing inside the red circle?
Or at least, nothing remotely close to debris or a big structure. You could draw a red circle on many other parts of this image and think "oh there's something there".

It's scaled down a bit. The original version, linked above, has it clearer.

It's faint, and could be anything, but possibly worth checking out. Also the patch of sea that could maybe be an oil slick adjacent is interesting as well.

Well, you can see the image for yourself here :

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014/map/128148

(click the middle box)
So the image hasn't be doctored.

I think it is definitely SOMETHING....
If you unveil other boxes, and zoom out, there is no doubt that it looks different than anything else.

Someone said the water was shallow? could it be some sort of reef?
Can you zoom out to see what location is focused on? The image is 12 March and according to the main page, no imagery of the Anadaman Islands until 14 March.
mapwykbv.png
Everything from 12 March is that green East of the Gulf of Thailand.

BearPawB

Banned
Can you zoom out to see what location is focused on? The image is 12 March and according to the main page, no imagery of the Anadaman Islands until 14 March.

Everything from 12 March is that green west of the Gulf of Thailand.

It is that red box to the west of Malaysia. But, even if these were from March 13th, what difference does that make?

Arent google satellite images like months old ? Or did they snap new pictures last week ?

they aren't from google, but from tomnod.

It is that red box to the west of Malaysia. But, even if these were from March 13th, what difference does that make?

they aren't from google, but from tomnod.
The image date is 12 March. The red box is the 13 of March. Is this an international dateline thing, or an image that is not near the Anadaman Islands (claimed to be imaged on 14 March not the 12th or the 13th). Maybe I'm just confused but I think there is a discrepancy between the image and where it is claimed to be. A search boat is being redirected to the Anadaman Islands... that is the difference that this makes.

The colouration of the water (to the right and up a bit) certainly looks like a big spill of fuel or something. I looks like something manmade under the water there. Could be an old boat wreckage or anything though...

There also seems to be something sticking out of the water here:

hPC.jpg

raindoc

Everything from 12 March is that green East of the Gulf of Thailand.

It's located in the red zone west of Palau Pinang, the area near the last verified primary radar contact (2:15am). MH370 was heading for the Andaman Islands at that point, I got that mixed up, sorry.

The colouration of the water (to the right and up a bit) certainly looks like a big spill of fuel or something. I looks like something manmade under the water there. Could be an old boat wreckage or anything though...

There also seems to be something sticking out of the water here:

http://i.picpar.com/hPC.jpg

i thought it was something feeding on something
whales
tuna
sharks

BearPawB

Banned
The image date is 12 March. The red box is the 13 of March. Is this an international dateline thing, or an image that is not near the Anadaman Islands (claimed to be imaged on 14 March not the 12th or the 13th). Maybe I'm just confused but I think there is a discrepancy between the image and where it is claimed to be. A search boat is being redirected to the Anadaman Islands... that is the difference that this makes.

I mean, maybe it's a date mistake. But there is no doubt that the image I am looking at is in that red box. The reports say the tanker is heading to the strait of Malacca, which is exactly where that red box on the map is.

"Crew on a Greek flagged oil tanker are responding to radio reports of suit cases found floating in the Straits of Malacca, between Malaysia and Indonesia, Greek media reported."

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is crazy. I can't believe this is turning out to be an intentional act. I'm getting really creeped out thinking about all this.

I mean, maybe it's a date mistake. But there is no doubt that the image I am looking at is in that red box. The reports say the tanker is heading to the strait of Malacca, which is exactly where that red box on the map is.

"Crew on a Greek flagged oil tanker are responding to radio reports of suit cases found floating in the Straits of Malacca, between Malaysia and Indonesia, Greek media reported."
Interesting. Maybe the image was dated in North America or GMT when it flew over the Straits of Malacca early on the 13th (local)?

The image in question is definately not from the Anadaman Islands and the search vessel is headed to the actual location in question.

aeroslash

There's no circuit breaker for that.

And as said, it's nonsense to climb to fl450 when at fl350 you can do exactly the same. You don't need to do rapid decompression..in any case, a slow one would make the passengers get hypoxic and don't feel anything. One of the first stages of hypoxia is impaired judgment, and many times is referenced as a feeling like being drunk, that means you are dying without noticing it, and feeling hapy.
I'm sure anyone with knowledge would do this instead of climbing. Do you know the time and fuel that would take to go above the service ceiling? Maybe between 430 and 450 the aircraft could climb maximum at 200ft/min. That's 10 minutes only to climb there when at 350 and 430 you would have exactly the same effect.

Raist

Banned
That website is pretty cool. That whole area is rather "empty" though. Clicked around for a while and found a boat, at least. Well I guess it's a boat.

ZKHG0jW.png

edit: if it went in a straight line, it only was a couple of km at most from that site.

Tugatrix

Boston bombing. They pointed out a guy. Who ran away (most likely prior to the bombing and for totally unrelated reasons) was found out dead in a sewer gutter weeks later and some poeple think it was because of reddit shaming

i remember reddit went nuts but didn't know the whole story, damn poor fella

Of course there is. I can't tell you exactly where it is on a 777, but it's at least sometimes the "AUTO OXYGEN" circuit in the "ENVIRONMENTAL" group of breakers.

If the hijacker was not an actual 777 pilot at some point, would a pilot of smaller planes be able to figure this stuff out once they're in flight? Seems like this all happened relatively quickly and efficiently.

crozier

If the hijacker was not an actual 777 pilot at some point, would a pilot of smaller planes be able to figure this stuff out once they're in flight? Seems like this all happened relatively quickly and efficiently.
I think that the original pilot(s) were the hijackers.

As for another pilot...who knows? If you could find and print (or memorize) aircraft maintenance documents prior to the departure it's probably possible.

Boston bombing. They pointed out a guy. Who ran away (most likely prior to the bombing and for totally unrelated reasons) was found out dead in a sewer gutter weeks later and some poeple think it was because of reddit shaming

No no. This

what time?

No, actually, using some photograph, reddit claimed it matched a person who was reporting as missing Brown University student. Of course, media picked it up too but were a more reluctant than the witch hunt on Reddit.

See More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Sunil_Tripathi

Fuckers caused so much anguish to the family of a missing student, his family like took down facbook page dedicated to finding Sunil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom