• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male Birth Control, Without Condoms, Will Be Here by 2017. (Daily Beast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/09/we-ll-have-male-birth-control-by-2017.html

Vasalgel, a reversible, non-hormonal polymer that blocks the vas deferens, is about to enter human trials. How will rhetoric change when male bodies become responsible for birth control?
Vasalgel, a reversible form of male birth control, just took one step closer to your vas deferens.

According to a press release from the Parsemus Foundation, a not-for profit organization focused on developing low-cost medical approaches, Vasalgel is proving effective in a baboon study. Three lucky male baboons were injected with Vasalgel and given unrestricted sexual access to 10 to 15 female baboons each. Despite the fact that they have been monkeying around for six months now, no female baboons have been impregnated. With the success of this animal study and new funding from the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, the Parsemus Foundation is planning to start human trials for Vasalgel next year. According to their FAQ page, they hope to see it on the market by 2017 for, in their words, less than the cost of a flat-screen television.

So how does Vasalgel work? It is essentially a reimagining of a medical technology called RISUG (reversible inhibition of sperm under guidance) that was developed by a doctor named Sujoy Guha over 15 years ago in India, where it has been in clinical trials ever since. Unlike most forms of female birth control, Vasalgel is non-hormonal and only requires a single treatment in order to be effective for an extended period of time. Rather than cutting the vas deferens—as would be done in a vasectomy—a Vasalgel procedure involves the injection of a polymer contraceptive directly into the vas deferens. This polymer will then block any sperm that attempt to pass through the tube. At any point, however, the polymer can be flushed out with a second injection if a man wishes to bring his sperm back up to speed

Interesting stuff. Especially the non hormonal aspect. And unlike the Pill, it's one injection only. Another injection to reverse.

Should be a requirement for all rookies entering professional sports leagues.

Still this seems more aimed to those in monogamous relationships. It won't protect against STDs, just pregnancy.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
And sti rates will rocket everywhere

more ot does this involve getting an injection to your dick then if it's blocking up the tubes?
And surely blocking up the tubes cannot be healthy

Gamerloid

This will determined how educated people are about STDs. Do they use condoms just to prevent pregnancies, or part of it due to protection from STDs?

That...sounds pretty cool. And I say that as a guy that's had the old snip-snip. The price seems neat, but ultimately more than what my procedure cost (covered in total). Wonder how insurance will tackle this one.

I await the response of guys saying "no way I'd take a needle there."

And sti rates will rocket everywhere

more ot does this involve getting an injection to your dick then if it's blocking up the tubes?
And surely blocking up the tubes cannot be healthy

There's not actually much that gets sent up the tubes. It's not like ejaculating is halted by a blockage of those tubes.

Isn't that essentially what a vesectomy is?

Vasectomy severs the tubes. This procedure just blocks them.

jett

D-Member
Rather than cutting the vas deferens—as would be done in a vasectomy—a Vasalgel procedure involves the injection of a polymer contraceptive directly into the vas deferens.

Yeah I don't think so.

scott!

Neo Member
I'm all for it. My fiancée uses hormonal birth control and sometimes experiences annoying side effects (but we've both agreed we prefer it to condoms, and the pill does help regulate her cycle more rigedly, which she likes). I told her before that the moment this kind of thing was viable, I'd put my money where my mouth was and help with our shared interest in avoiding unwanted/unexpected babies.

Very interested to see the cultural reaction to this - hope it's positive.

The Cowboy

After reading WHERE the injection is done, I lost almost all interest. Holy shit.

Same here, i was reading it and was "hmm, interesting", then i got the injection part and it was "hell NO!". I don't like injections at the best of times, but having one down there?, no way.

So...nothing will come out if you do this....? That would be really fucking weird. I'll stick to condoms I think.

I can't really post a diagram of how it works. The vas deferens sends sperm, that's it. Minus that you're still able to ejaculate normally.

I'm here for all your vas deferens related questions, GAF.

Of course stuff comes out.. Men who have vasectomies still ejaculate semen on orgasm.

I have no idea how those work, never once looked into that stuff so I'm utterly ignorant on the subject. But I get what is meant now then, thanks.

I can't really post a diagram of how it works. The vas deferens sends sperm, that's it. Minus that you're still able to ejaculate normally.

Aaaand thank you as well.

Robin64

What happens to the blocked sperm? Does it die and get absorbed back into the body somehow? It can't just keep building up, surely. Totally clueless on this sort of thing.

entremet

An injection into a specific valve like the vas deferens will most likely require the patient to be knocked out.

Stop worrying needlephobes.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just as a quick FYI, genital anesthesia usually involves the same kind of needles used by diabetics, which are really, really thin. Those injections don't hurt at all, it's just small discomfort and that's it.

Depending on the number of injections, you may want to get ready for a bruised, purple nutsack that may last over a week, though.

studyguy

I'm up for taking a pill every 4 weeks, like women do, but a needle to the nuts? Gotta think about that one...

i-cant-remember-if-i-took-my-malaria-pill-this-morning-top-gear.jpg
Feel like that'd be me if I had to take a pill. Never been medicated so I'd prob forget too.

entremet

I'm up for taking a pill every 4 weeks, like women do, but a needle to the nuts? Gotta think about that one...

The great thing about this is that is non hormonal. It should not affect your libido. The way male biology works is that any reduction in sperm count also affects test levels. Not a good thing.

The Pill is hormonal and can reduce the libido for many women.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

seems like there is a deferens force for everything these days

I have a feeling you will be knocked out. That's a precise injection. Or given drugs--anesthetia.

Check it.

Just as a quick FYI, genital anesthesia usually involves the same kind of needles used by diabetics, which are really, really thin. Those injections don't hurt at all, it's just small discomfort and that's it.

Depending on the number of injections, you may want to get ready for a bruised, purple nutsack that may last over a week, though.

Ice your stuff down afterwards...a few bags of frozen peas does the trick. My recovery was a few days, and at the end of it my son managed to kick me in the balls. The needle? Well it was just a little prick and I went numb down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom