• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male Birth Control, Without Condoms, Will Be Here by 2017. (Daily Beast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not even extra thin Durex stuff?
edit: aparently Durex new has a new "Feeling" condom line for "skin-on-skin" feeling made from a stuff called Polysoprene. Give it a try and report back :)
I already tried the Avanti stuff. Sucks compared to barebacking it.

I never knew a girl that preferred condoms. They hate them too, but it's a need if you wanna be responsible.
There are ways to prevent pregnancy and STD spread that don't involve condom use.

I know you're joking, but I found this lol:

I've definitely relied on the pull out method! Just ask my two year old son!
-- Age unknown, Queens, NY

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/06/pullout-method-contraception-my-story_n_3881396.html

Withdrawl can be one form of effective birth control when used properly. Problem is, it's harder to pull out properly than it is to use a condom properly.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The studies conducted so far point to no or little sperm in precum. It can happen, but it's much less than widely believed.

Still rubs me wrong enough not to take any chances. Not to mention the possibility of getting a nasty STD (which of course shouldn't be a problem in a serious relationship).

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Why should this in any way or shape prevent any STD? Use a condom, use this, be 100% safe from unwanted children and 99% safe from STDs.

I'm with you! People should continue using protection... this sort of thing probably works best in a monogamous relationship however I know more people who are using condoms as a precaution for pregnancy and aren't even thinking about STDs. I anecdotally believe that people are going to risk STDs where they wouldn't risk pregnancy.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The cynic in me thinks this is the main reason it' taken so long for non-barrier male contraception to be produced is due to STIs. I imagine if HIV didn't exist shit like this would have been found 20-30 years ago.

This existed 35 years ago. The underlying idea existed 49 years ago. (The book/movie The Hunt For Red October was based on its potential in submarines.)

Can't say I am very comfortable with that, what happens if the reversing injection doesn't work 100%?

Then get another set of injections. It's just dissolving the coating.

studyguy

I still don't know how I'd feel about taking a shot to the sack to be able to bust a nut without worry. I have a strict no sharp tools coming at my junk policy.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I still don't know how I'd feel about taking a shot to the sack to be able to bust a nut without worry. I have a strict no sharp tools coming at my junk policy.

You're still shooting everything while this is active, even the sperm.

studyguy

You're still shooting everything while this is active, even the sperm.

I don't know what you're getting at tbh, I didn't say anything about seminal fluid being blocked, just so long as no sperm end up in the mix I'm golden. Would be a terrible solution if this worked like a cork and stopped everything all together. Who the fuck would want to bust and have dust shoot out. For real.

Ikael

This seems like an awesome invention, but more targeted towards replacing vasectomy rather than condoms.

Now, if they could only invent a gel like this one that would not only block sperm, but also prevented STD's... man, that would be great. I would injected it into my penis myself since condoms sucks utter bollocks.

FoxSpirit

Can't say I am very comfortable with that, what happens if the reversing injection doesn't work 100%?
You flush it out with a short injection, so far no failures. Even then, all you needed in that case is a more rigorous flushing.

wait am i misreading this then because article in the op says it blocks it?
The article in the OP has it's facts wrong

I don't know what you're getting at tbh, I didn't say anything about seminal fluid being blocked, just so long as no sperm end up in the mix I'm golden. Would be a terrible solution if this worked like a cork and stopped everything all together. Who the fuck would want to bust and have dust shoot out. For real.
Did you read the rest of the thread, this was discussed multiple times already with funny pictures to boot.

This seems like an awesome invention, but more targeted towards replacing vasectomy rather than condoms.

Now, if they could only invent a gel like this one that would not only block sperm, but also prevented STD's... man, that would be great. I would injected it into my penis myself since condoms sucks utter bollocks.
Please inform yourself how diseases enter your body.

------

Seriously, guys and gals, learn how your body works, learn it's anatomy. It's important, one of the most important things to know.

NateDog

Even if it's assuredly safe for some reason the idea of something being blocked from leaving my system just does not sit well with me. I'm not exactly any good with science and never have been so that's my ignorance to deal with, maybe down the line when more information becomes available about it I'll see.

Yrael

Hmmmm, I just found this:

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/11/6135199/male-contraceptive-birth-control-sex-protection-vasalgel-RISUG

"Male birth control, without condoms, will be here by 2017," the Daily Beast confidently declared earlier this week. Other outlets picked up on the news. In just a few years, according to the headlines, women will apparently be free from worry about unwanted pregnancy because men will be able to access an amazingly effective, safe, and reversible sperm-blocking procedure for birth control.

If it all sounds too good to be true, there's a reason: it's not actually accurate.

These stories weren't based on published research findings or a Food and Drug Administration approval notice for Vasalgel, a method of birth control that involves injecting a gel into a man's vas deferens — where the sperm flow — so that it stops them from releasing the little swimmers. Vasalgel hasn't even gotten a green light from the FDA for testing in humans, nor does do we have published studies in animals to support its use.

The news came from a press release — and call for donations! — by the foundation behind Vasalgel, highlighting some promising (though again, unpublished, anecdotal findings) from testing on baboons.

Even if this birth control works for male baboons, there's a whole lot that needs to happen before it hits the market for male humans.

Edit:

Even if it's assuredly safe for some reason the idea of something being blocked from leaving my system just does not sit well with me. I'm not exactly any good with science and never have been so that's my ignorance to deal with, maybe down the line when more information becomes available about it I'll see.

It turns out the gel doesn't really block the sperm - from Wikipedia:

The effect the chemical has on sperm is not completely understood. Originally it was thought that it lowered the pH of the environment enough to kill the sperm.[5] More recent research claims that this is not enough to explain the effect.

One explanation is that the polymer is an anhydride, and hydrolizes in the presence of water in the spermatic fluid. Due to the breaking of a cyclic group, the polymer becomes a hydride and has a positive charge. This disturbs the negative charge of the sperm membrane on contact.[6]

Professor SK Guha theorizes that the polymer surface has a negative and positive electric charge mosaic. The differential charge from the gel ruptures the sperm's cell membrane as it passes through the vas, inactivating sperm before they initiate their journey to the egg.[7]

"Within an hour, the drugs produce an electrical charge that nullifies the electrical charge of the spermatozoa, preventing it from penetrating the ovum," Dr. Guha said.

(But in any case, even if it did the sperm would be reabsorbed by the body anyway, which is what happens to sperm that aren't ejaculated.)

velociraptor

The cynic in me thinks this is the main reason it' taken so long for non-barrier male contraception to be produced is due to STIs. I imagine if HIV didn't exist shit like this would have been found 20-30 years ago.

Tbh I'd still continue to use condoms; you should assume everyone you meet harbours an STD. Better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom