• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male Birth Control, Without Condoms, Will Be Here by 2017. (Daily Beast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yrael

Mmhm, the seminal vesicles aren't blocked so there will still be semen - just no sperm.

What happens to the blocked sperm? Does it die and get absorbed back into the body somehow? It can't just keep building up, surely. Totally clueless on this sort of thing.

It gets reabsorbed into the body. The same thing happens to sperm that isn't ejaculated after a while in men who haven't had a vasectomy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Check it.

Ice your stuff down afterwards...a few bags of frozen peas does the trick. My recovery was a few days, and at the end of it my son managed to kick me in the balls. The needle? Well it was just a little prick and I went numb down there.

Funny, I also got the frozen peas advice. My doctor told me not to apply ice straight over the area unless I wanted to risk ice burns. Shit is sensitive down there.

I'm not snipped, btw. It was something unrelated. My dick is high maintenance like the most expensive Italian sports car.

Orayn

This could be a great thing for a lot of people in terms of both effectiveness and health benefits. Hopefully the clinical trials go well and this makes it to market in a timely fashion.

Also ,why are people acting like the injection wouldn't be done with local anesthetic?

Mononoke

Banned
Some people are into that. I guess you're not one of them

lol how can anyone be into a tube being shoved down your dick and pulled out. Dat cringe. Brings back nightmares thinking about it.

EDIT: I actually know you aren't joking, people are into some weird shit.

studyguy

I was in a serious accident and had one of those put in, was one of the worst feelings ever. Especially when they pull it out.

Dumb-and-Dumber-To-wheelchair-catheter-GIF.gif
Fuck all of that.

Funny, I also got the frozen peans advice. My doctor told me not to apply ice straight over the area unless I wanted to risk ice burns. Shit is sensitive down there.

I'm not snipped, btw. It was something unrelated. My dick is high maintenance like the most expensive Italian sports car.

I just treat my dick like an Italian sports car (not that it gets use like one foreveralone.jpg).

Yeah, boxer briefs, maybe a thin towel too. Direct contact is a no-no. A big one.
hehehehehehe

Mononoke

Banned
Fuck all of that.

I had serious damage done in this accident. Massive trauma/surgery. And still the worst part was getting that taken out. It trumped any of the pain I had. Because it's this super cringe/ feeling you can't put into words. Imagine like nails on a chalk board (that cringe inducing irritation) but inside your DICK.

Mesoian

I'm all for it. My fiancée uses hormonal birth control and sometimes experiences annoying side effects (but we've both agreed we prefer it to condoms, and the pill does help regulate her cycle more rigedly, which she likes). I told her before that the moment this kind of thing was viable, I'd put my money where my mouth was and help with our shared interest in avoiding unwanted/unexpected babies.

Very interested to see the cultural reaction to this - hope it's positive.

Yeah, I've had some female friends and ex-girlfriends who's mental state was often harmed or altered by birth control. I felt bad being unable to literally do anything to help them except try to be emotionally comforting whilst not touching them.

The quicker this comes to the market in a safe reasonable way, the better.

entremet

I'd rather wrap it up. People are gross and filed with disease.

ALL of you.

Again, the market for this would be those in long term monogamous relationships that want to engage in family planning without the need of surgery or female contraception that may have hormonal side effects. Not for players like yourself.

Nobody Google sounding.

This is trick. You want people to search for it lol. I see your games :p

Yeah, I've had some female friends and ex-girlfriends who's mental state was often harmed or altered by birth control. I felt bad being unable to literally do anything to help them except try to be emotionally comforting whilst not touching them.

The quicker this comes to the market in a safe reasonable way, the better.

Echoing the SO thing...my wife didn't want to have to deal with the extra BS that could accompany standard birth control. Easier in the long run for me to get it done and over with.

And seriously, I got food brought to me for a weekend while I iced my shit down and played Arkham City.

CDX

So, an injection to your dick.

Vasalgel is non-hormonal and only requires a single treatment in order to be effective for an extended period of time.
How long is an "extended period of time"? How often will people have to get injections into their penis?

Still, I can't see penis injections becoming extremely popular.

entremet

So, an injection to your dick.

How long is an "extended period of time"? How often will people have to get injections into their penis?

Still, I can't see penis injections becoming extremely popular.

It's a polymer so it can lasts years.

I bet republicans will be all over this being available on insurance while at the same time continuing to try and block female birth control.

.GqueB.

Banned
Again, the market for this would be those in long term monogamous relationships that want to engage in family planning without the need of surgery or female contraception that may have hormonal side effects. Not for players like yourself.

I assume the market for this would just be "a whole bunch of dudes". What you're describing is just who it would be best for.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
but you'd still need to use condoms if you're just having fun and not in a committed thing...

entremet

I assume the market for this would just be "a whole bunch of dudes". What you're describing is just who it would be best for.

Not really. Vasectomies are have narrow demographics in terms of the men who have the procedure. It's mostly married or post divorced men. Not college co-eds or young bachelors. I think they're going for that market. Especially given how medical phobic young men are. Young healthy men just don't go to doctors unless they need to. You already have guys worrying about a needle in this thread lol.

But I do agree, if you're gonna play the field, you better use condoms.

Seriously...for everyone worried about the injection, I'd not. I doubt you'd feel anything but mild discomfort, and if the doctor administering the procedure has a sense of humor at all, you'll walk out laughing.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

And probably the ones who'd most probably get it.

I can't imagine somebody who just wants to dog around replacing condoms with this. Besides, plenty of ladies rightfully demand a condom, which negates the necessity of getting the procedure *and* will protect you against STDs.

I mean, it's basically a vasectomy replacement.

If this comes to fruition, I'll be sad that I underwent my vasectomy.
But as others have said this has been talked about for 15 years and more. I am not holding my breath for this. I still think this is a ways off.

Only one person I dated saw my vasectomy as a negative thing. She saw herself as possibly having kids with me, but I didn't want to have kids with her. I am done having kids.

I had a vasectomy so that my (now ex-wife) wife didn't get her tubes tied. I felt like if one of us was going to get butchered, it should be me because mine's easier. Problem is, we stopped having sex and later divorced. So, ultimately I regret having mine done. I would have opted for the reversible option, if one existed back then.

Granted this is still a ways off, but really...it looks like a dream situation for couples that don't want to have to worry about condoms/birth control. Quick, relatively easy, leaving hormones in place.

I'd have been all over this in college.

Damaniel

Banned
Wow! Less expensive than a flat-screen TV!?

So any TV currently sold. Gotcha.

I'm guessing they'd be aiming for a cost on par with Nexplanon/Implanon for women (so, around $500 in the US, give or take a couple hundred). Totally worth it for a non-hormonal, reversible option (and yes, vasectomies are theoretically reversible in some cases, though not guaranteed by any means).

I'm guessing they'd be aiming for a cost on par with Nexplanon/Implanon for women (so, around $500 in the US, give or take a couple hundred). Totally worth it for a non-hormonal, reversible option (and yes, vasectomies are theoretically reversible in some cases, though not guaranteed by any means).

Vasectomies are indeed reversible in some cases, but it's supposedly ridiculously expensive and, as you said, NOT guaranteed.

.GqueB.

Banned
Not really. Vasectomies are have narrow demographics in terms of the men who have the procedure. It's mostly married or post divorced men. Not college co-eds or young bachelors. I think they're going for that market. Especially given how medical phobic young men are. Young healthy men just don't go to doctors unless they need to. You already have guys worrying about a needle in this thread lol.

But I do agree, if you're gonna play the field, you better use condoms.

Yea that's true. I kind of want to be on the team that has to develop an ad campaign for this

About time!
Vasectomy and condoms aside, men having near zero control over our fertility and choice to become fathers needs to be seriously addressed. I have always hated feeling like a passenger along for the ride when it comes to my control over birth control.
I absoluetly love and totally adore my first born (he is such an amazing person), but had this option been available to me it wouldn't have mattered that his mother lied to me about taking her pill.
It's been a long time coming and I am ecstatic that men are finally getting more choice of options to protect our right to control our fertility.

Orayn

but you'd still need to use condoms if you're just having fun and not in a committed thing...

Still helpful to have another line of defense. Hell, even dudes who are paranoid about "spermjacking" should be excited for this, because it basically eliminates the possibility of getting someone pregnant without meaning to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom