• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male Birth Control, Without Condoms, Will Be Here by 2017. (Daily Beast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually a common side effect along with weight gain.

Loss of sex drive. Back when my wife was on it, there was less. Since the switch, there's been more. Not saying it's totally cause and effect, but she has stated more than once that she'd never want to go back.

Vagabundo

I wonder if this method causes the same increase in aggressive prostate cancer like vasectomy does. Its what turned me off considering one.

Unless you have a phobia of needles (which is beyond one's control), you're being a fucking baby. Sack up and get your prick pricked.

It is long past due that men share the burden of birth control.

Man up, eh?

entremet

Loss of sex drive. Back when my wife was on it, there was less. Since the switch, there's been more. Not saying it's totally cause and effect, but she has stated more than once that she'd never want to go back.

Loss of libido on the Pill is pretty well documented. Not all women get that, though.

Condoms are horrible. The pill can have severe side effects for women, and requires you to trust your girlfriend that she doesn't secretly want to have your babies whether you're okay with it or not. Get this treatment approved already.

i17X5xONoFWjd.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
(and yes, vasectomies are theoretically reversible in some cases, though not guaranteed by any means).

It's very difficult to convince a doctor to do a vasectomy if you don't have kids, mostly because the odds of successful reversal are actually pretty bad. Even some places trying to sell reversal surgery tout odds as low as 50%.

So this doesn't prevent orgasm tho?

EDIT: Just sperm not semen, got it.

Still don't think you get it.
You still have orgasms even if you're not producing semen or sperm, let alone just not releasing them. Personally my orgasms were much better when I wasn't developed enough to produce semen.

SkylineRKR

dat clap doe.

Just curious why do so many here hate condoms?

First of all, its good that people use them (esp. during intercourse with strangers etc), an STD isn't worth it.

But I don't like them because they're somewhat off putting. It just doesn't feel as good. I sometimes had problems with performing until I decided to throw it away. They're either too tight, or too loose. Or you have to pause intercourse to adjust.

Overall its just not as 'pure' as without. Dat feeling of entering without protection is just... sogood.gif. It ups my high tenfold. I know women who don't like the feeling of them either. But for one night stands, I do use em. Simply because I don't want to apply for a test.

Bleepey

I'd take it. I am however worried about how STDs will sky rocket considering how wreckless people are already. I can see professional athletes and musicians rejoicing the day this is released.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
dat clap doe.

Just curious why do so many here hate condoms?

Because they feel like shit. I can't feel the warmth of the vaginal canal and all the juices flowing and mixing together like god intended. She feels like she's being fucked by a plastic bag. I have a harder time maintaining hardness when I'm wearing a condom so it looks like I have ED when the real reason is just that condoms fucking suck.

Crazyorloco

Part of the joy is feeling the honey sweet milky cum erupt up from my penis and having it go to its destination.

Does this block this?

Dryk

And sti rates will rocket everywhere

more ot does this involve getting an injection to your dick then if it's blocking up the tubes?
And surely blocking up the tubes cannot be healthy
Nobody knows how it works, but it doesn't block them completely. Leading theory is that the polymer has enough of a charge that it just shreds the cell walls as they pass through the treated section. I remember reading about it years ago and thinking it was the most metal birth control method ever divised.

This thinnest condoms are scary because of disease. BC is awkward because it can have side-effects for the woman. Hopefully the clinical trials go well on this. And let's get those cures for other sexually transmitted diseases too.

Crazyorloco

It blocks sperm, not semen.

Unless you have an extremely refined pallet, you won't taste the difference.

It's very difficult to convince a doctor to do a vasectomy if you don't have kids, mostly because the odds of successful reversal are actually pretty bad. Even some places trying to sell reversal surgery tout odds as low as 50%.

Still don't think you get it.
You still have orgasms even if you're not producing semen or sperm, let alone just not releasing them. Personally my orgasms were much better when I wasn't developed enough to produce semen.

Thanks badhand, Ahh so it blocks the sperm. I wonder if a few still manage to pass through

BadHand

Thanks badhand, Ahh so it blocks the sperm. I wonder if a few still manage to pass through

I know that after my vasectomy, I had a sperm test done and I had a very low sperm count at 6 weeks post-vasectomy. Dr told me i'll probably be OK as it takes a very large amount of sperm to create a pregnancy (while there was a small chance it still could).

I waited for another test a 8 weeks to be sure.

You mean every day?

I, too, raised an eyebrow at that.

Unless you have a phobia of needles (which is beyond one's control), you're being a fucking baby. Sack up and get your prick pricked.

It is long past due that men share the burden of birth control.

Amen.

It makes us gain weight too. Which is awesome. /s

Aside from the pill, IUDs can be incredibly painful too. My sister had such a horrible reaction to hers. Ugh, glad I never tried it.

Also once again wanting to do a sex ed thread on Gaf because I apparently know more about penises than most of the men that post here.

YES YOU WILL STILL EJACULATE LOADS.

The pill is the worst. Aside from all the fun mood issues and plummeting sex drive, use the wrong kind and you'll get horrible cramps and bleeding for the whole damn month. Or die, in some cases. :p

About damn time they made an option for guys that is easy and not hormonal. Disappointed to see the selfish "Fuck no" responses, but at least there are less than last time this topic came up.

entremet

It makes us gain weight too. Which is awesome. /s

Aside from the pill, IUDs can be incredibly painful too. My sister had such a horrible reaction to hers. Ugh, glad I never tried it.

Also once again wanting to do a sex ed thread on Gaf because I apparently know more about penises than most of the men that post here.

Men in general--and I am one--are very ignorant about their reproductive systems. The fact that we don't really go to doctors and have much less contraceptive options does that.

However, relegating BC to another party is disaster as many pro athletes know.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Seriously, I'll take 2.

Uh, everyone who gets this is getting two, unless that's the joke. OK, not everyone. Like Tom Green definitely wouldn't be getting two.

Yrael

Men in general--and I am one--are very ignorant about their reproductive systems. The fact that we don't really go to doctors and have much less contraceptive options does that.

However, relegating BC to another party is disaster as many pro athletes know.

Sex education is still rather poor pretty much everywhere. I've known quite a few adult women who thought they urinate from their vaginas.

Keri

The pill is the worst. Aside from all the fun mood issues and plummeting sex drive, use the wrong kind and you'll get horrible cramps and bleeding for the whole damn month. Or die, in some cases. :p

Seriously. When I first went on the pill, it basically gave me morning sickness for two months. I mean, my body adjusted and it beats being actual pregnant, but still not great. You guys have no idea how lucky you are, that the first birth control option for you is non-hormonal. At least there's no mandatory adjustment period where you randomly and fairly consistently have to vomit.

Kinokou

15 years in clinical trials doesn't give me the most confidence in this procedure

Thats Risug in India, the Parsemus Foundation has made some adjustments to the formula so it will "conform to the latest FDA and international codes of production and safety."

I have followed Vasalgels development for a little over two years and in that short time it went from being an Utopian dream to actual development having been tested successfully on rabbits and now on baboons.

This might make a scary world where only the uneducted and poor are having lots of children.

I'm actually hoping for it to be cheap enough that it can be utilized even in developing countries.

But for those who know more on the subject, will Vasalgel have an effect on DNA identification from semen?

Cronox

Banned
Been following this for years, even donated to it a couple times. Just annoyed that it's been so long in coming. If I had the money, I'd probably have flown to India for this a while ago. This is a reversible birth control for males with few if any side effects. All you needle-phobes: the actual procedure will take a few minutes when done by a trained practitioner. A few minutes for something that'll likely last you 10 years or more. Sack up.

I've looked extensively through the options available to women and they are appalling. I would never expect a woman to put herself on a hormonal birth control that I would never consent to myself. Even the copper IUD has some major potential problems if the woman contracts an STI. I look forward to being able to take responsibility for birth control. And I'll happily use a condom on top, too.

Edit: regarding cost, I've read estimates that it would cost $15 per person before. It'll be cheap.

entremet

This might make a scary world where only the uneducted and poor are having lots of children.

Scary? It's already happened.

In order for population growth in first world countries to remain stable--just at replacement levels, not growth levels, each woman will need to have 2.5 children. That's just replacement levels. And I'm talking about all child bearing age women. The baby boom was real.

That average means you'll need some women having 3, 4, or 5 children to compensate for those having none to 2 children.

Most young professionals are maxing out at two these days. Most population growth is being driven by the third world, the poor and immigration.

FoxSpirit

And surely blocking up the tubes cannot be healthy

THE ARTICLE IS FACTUALLY WRONG ON THIS!!!
THE ARTICLE IS FACTUALLY WRONG ON THIS!!!

The truth is a bit more complex and much more fascinating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_inhibition_of_sperm_under_guidance#Mechanism_of_action
It only coats the walls of your vas deferens, it doesn't actually block it. But it does 100% kill all sperm passing by, propably in multiple ways. Sensitive little mofos.

I always hear from older people of the wild 60s and 70s. Well, here we go again. :p

P.S.: Please come to Europe quickly, thanks

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Because they feel like shit. I can't feel the warmth of the vaginal canal and all the juices flowing and mixing together like god intended. She feels like she's being fucked by a plastic bag. I have a harder time maintaining hardness when I'm wearing a condom so it looks like I have ED when the real reason is just that condoms fucking suck.
To me, this is BS. Just try different ones. I don't have a problem either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom