• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Drifts A Stop Sign; Is Choked, Tased & Beaten Savagely By Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyle77

Ok, not saying the police were right to do this of course, it's fucked-up beyond belief, but that line makes no sense. Even if you don't think you did something wrong, you still pull over to the side of the road to let the police officers by.

That makes complete sense. Many times I've slowed down when a cop with lights on behind me, only to have him pass me and go to his destination. I think that exact thing in that moment.

Patrol

Banned
The only way you can see another human being scared for his life during an assault because he's being choked and believes he may die as 'resisting' is if you don't see that person as a human being.

If any cop for whatever reason possible decided that you needed to be in a choke hold, your basic human instinct is that you're being attacked and need to stop the attack so you can fucking breathe, not to turn your body into dead weight for them to fling around and do as they please with.

I do not see the "choking" aspect as the suspect's chin is in the inner elbow of the officer's arm. This would mean the suspect's esophagus is not in the position to be obstructed. From the outside appearance, it looks to be a carotid hold (which would be unjustifiable in this case) but no pressure was being applied to his arteries otherwise he would have taken a night-night nap. We can take control of the head and neck without putting the suspect in a hold where our forearms are purposefully obstructing the airway (esophagus). Again, if someone can highlight something different and point to the video and explain their thoughts... I'm all ears.

Tested clean at the hospital for alcohol and drugs AND his attorney says as-yet unreleased footage shows them planting the drugs.

Hope those responsible get nailed to the wall for how they treated a fucking CITIZEN.

YoungHav

Banned
Gaf cops, would it kill you to be human for once? Y'all will defend any police action posted here. I wish some people would cut to the chase and just admit they hate blacks, because defending this behavior would then make sense.

Holy fucking christ. This isn't even a maybe story, this is blatant corruption. No audio, no medical report of a bite, a corrupt cop, and they just so happen to find crack in his car even though he has a spotless and drugless record? What the fuck???? If these cops aren't nailed to the cross then all hope is lost.

I'm so sick of this nonsense practically occurring everyday, although it's good to know that he somehow managed to survive the incident.

Holy fucking christ. This isn't even a maybe story, this is blatant corruption. No audio, no medical report of a bite, a corrupt cop, and they just so happen to find crack in his car even though he has a spotless and drugless record? What the fuck???? If these cops aren't nailed to the cross then all hope is lost.

Punishing the cops would set a bad precedent.

We can't start holding them accountable. It would ruin the whole 'do, whatever the hell you want' open world playground vibe.

sonicmj1

Refusing to get out of the vehicle and then passively resisting caused him to get thrown to the ground where both officers attempted to gain control of him. He continues to passively resist as you can see how tense his arms are; at that point one of the officers grabs him by the head/neck and is laying on him in an effort to gain control of him getting back to his feet. It's hard to tell due to the video being broken up in pieces, but I can also see the individual's chin in the officer's interior elbow which IS NOT characteristic of a "choke-hold" where the esophagus is blocked.

First, I want to say I appreciate your posts and your perspective. It's not one we get often in threads like this, and I feel like both sides need to understand each other better if we're going to get better policing that everyone is happy with.

There's a lot to dispute about the accounts (the unphotographed bite and everyone failing to record audio are big red flags for me), but I just wanted to say that the phrase "passively resisting" is such a weird thing, like a self-contradiction. I get that handcuffing someone who isn't being cooperative is probably tough, but it's a phrase that makes people sound violent when they're not being violent, just difficult. That opens the door to escalation of force.

I'm sure sometimes it's something you need to do, but it's one of those odd linguistic tricks (like "officer-involved shooting") used to create a narrative, one that can sometimes enhance that divide between what cops see in a video like this and what other people see.

So they don't even have the full video. The video skips at 01:14. That's annoying.

Damn, first off when the lights go on, immediately pull over. When you don't, it's a red flag as a stall technique to hide crap in the vehicle. It's just going to irritate the officer more. Besides, the lights are hard to miss at night when you're on the road by yourself, nevermind when the damn spotlight hits you. Second, when you are pulled over, never EVER open your door and attempt to get out of the vehicle. Every measure of training LEOs get highlights immediately that's a big red flag.

Secondly, we don't have the audio of the exchange nor why they decided to pull him out of the vehicle so a huge context is missing. Stupid video skipping to him getting pulled out makes this difficult to analyze. However, I can clearly see him passively resisting and then actively resisting; nevermind the fact that is a BIG dude. The only time I would go hands-on while on the ground is when he or she started grabbing at me or attempting to bite me while trying to gain control -- and I can see him grabbing, but hard to tell if he was biting.

So much context is missing here so I won't levy judgement on the ordeal whether he acted accordingly. Took a lot of force to gain control due to his size, and that's assuming he wasn't under the influence of a third-party additive like alcohol or drugs. Drugs like PCP or Meth can be scary when fighting someone... as control techniques, OC, and even a baton can sometimes be pointless. Sheer numbers and brute strength is sometimes all that is required to gain control of these guys/gals.

A cop defending another cop's abhorrent behavior. I'm completely shocked.

FOH

This is a sickness. The institution, the union, and the people who support this shit are plain sick. The cops I've seen post on GAF regurgitate the same criminal defending bullshit without even KNOWING the individual who's shown beating another black life within inches, or shooting one down. The "bond" and lack of oversight that enables police collusion needs to broken.

Always backpedaling, and analyzing to find the smallest discrepancy to justify the slaughter and assault of nig blacks. It's fucking pervasive. It's systemic. Your entire argument or "alternate perspective" embodies everything that is wrong with America's policing system.

Damerman

So a cop that already walked away 12 years ago from falsifying evidence scott free is accusing a man that worked at ford for 37 years (has no criminal history and tested negative for drug tests) of possessing crack cocain.

Im sorry, but what the fuck do you expect me to believe?

This is some crazy bullshit.

Barzul

They're sprinkling crack on the scene now. Straight out of a Dave Chapelle skit! How anybody could claim resisting arrest from that video is beyond me.

So a cop that already walked away 12 years ago from falsifying evidence scott free is accusing a man that worked at ford for 37 years (has no criminal history and tested negative for drug tests) of possessing crack cocain.

Even weed might at least be plausible but crack cocaine? Seriously? You don't just casually carry that around.

Zukuu

Banned
Jesus, the police training seems to be pretty faulty. Is it normal to go to a vehicle with a DRAWN gun you stopped for a mere traffic violation?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
As a half white man (which functionally means I'm not white) I'm way way way more scared to be around police than around members of any other gang.

NimbusD

So a cop that already walked away 12 years ago from falsifying evidence scott free is accusing a BLACK man that worked at ford for 37 years (has no criminal history and tested negative for drug tests) of possessing crack cocain.

ftfy. This is unfortunately the only thing that gives the officer a leg up. Hopefully it doesn't work, but seriously, could you imagine that happening in a white affluent neightborhood and having the officer not be immediately fired (not thrown in jail because lol that doesnt happen to police).

I do not see the "choking" aspect as the suspect's chin is in the inner elbow of the officer's arm. This would mean the suspect's esophagus is not in the position to be obstructed. From the outside appearance, it looks to be a carotid hold (which would be unjustifiable in this case) but no pressure was being applied to his arteries otherwise he would have taken a night-night nap. We can take control of the head and neck without putting the suspect in a hold where our forearms are purposefully obstructing the airway (esophagus). Again, if someone can highlight something different and point to the video and explain their thoughts... I'm all ears.

I see

The suspect was passively resisting with the officers based on the video I saw. He was struck multiple times by one of the officers due to, allegedly, biting the officer. That reason is would be justifiable, if proven.

If you're being choked out, your literal instinct will be to tense up and try to survive. Not resist or assault the officers, but resist being CHOKED. You can't place your arm under someone's neck and pull-up, after beating the shit out of them, and expect them to relax their body and let you have your way. It doesn't matter if you're a stranger, a cop, or God himself doing that to a person, it will illicit the same response.

IIRC there have been cases of people getting the "resisting arrest" charge dropped because of that same reason. You have multiple cops jumping a person who was bo-bopping along mere seconds ago. Their body and mind doesn't even have a chance to adapt and react to what's happening. You've got grown, built men, surrounding you, grabbing you, squeezing you and screaming at you to relax. I wonder why it's hard for some to actually relax in those situations?

Setsuna

As a half white man (which functionally means I'm not white) I'm way way way more scared to be around police than around members of any other gang.

As a person who previously lived in newark I have to disagree. I have two cousins that were shot because of gang violence.

I would have welcomed a stronger police force simply because the situation over there is getting out of control

First off let me state that I firmly believe that there is a real and pervasive issue with police abuse of power and with conscious / unconscious bias that needs to be addressed. I also believe that this specific incident represents an example of that problem. I've replied with comments to that effect earlier in the thread.

I'd like to address, though, the tenor of our conversation here - specifically the immediate rancor with which people reply to users like patrol.

If anything, this is *exactly* the type of person with a different opinion that would be great to engage in conversation with. He's been respectful, willing to answer questions, etc.

Does patrol's profession make him biased in certain ways? Almost certainly yes.

Can we still learn something from his more "insider" information and experience? Almost certainly yes.

So let's lay down our immediate reaction of disgust. Let's resist the desire to simply categorize him and dismiss him. Let's accept the fact that our respective places in the world color our perceptions, and let's work toward helping each other see beyond those perceptions.

To that end, patrol:

I'm interested in what standard police procedure is when it comes to when to draw your weapon.

What's considered "trigger happy," so to speak, when it comes to simply drawing the weapon?

Also, is there a standard number of officers that should be involved in subduing someone? Or is it just "pile on?"

Have you undergone any unconscious bias training? Do you see such training as valuable?

Given the facts, would you agree that we can't use the claim of the man biting the officer as part of our judgment here?

And finally, in this case, what other approach could the officers have taken with this person?

Thanks!

jmood88

I have to ask, is the increasing militarisation of the police one of the reasons this happens? It seems that the police see themselves as an occupying force and that citizens are the enemy.

Black people have always been treated like this by the police.

The suspect was passively resisting with the officers based on the video I saw. He was struck multiple times by one of the officers due to, allegedly, biting the officer. That reason is would be justifiable, if proven.

But it can't be proven because it was made up. He claimed he was bitten, yet didn't go to a doctor and didn't present any bite marks to anyone. It's amazing what kind of bullshit stories police supporters will believe.

guek

Banned
You cannot use the report of biting as any sort of justification because it was never probably documented. The burden of proof is on the officer, not the victim/suspect. There's no evidence it ever happened so stop bringing it up.

Do Better

I think excessive force was used even if the bullshit excuses from the cops are true.

"He bit me! Well, I guess I need to choke and beat the shit out of him"

"He's on drugs! I have to give him a nice ass whoopin' and choke him a bit"

"He's got crack in his car. I gotta choke him and kick his ass now"

Takuan

They really should throw these officers in jail. Any officer guilty of corruption or violent abuse of power needs to be imprisoned.

But, I wonder, how many people would be lining up for recruitment with the knowledge that they won't be able to abuse their authority without severe repercussions? I feel like the police force attracts too many people who want to wear the badge for the power it represents more than anything else.

Then again, I also wonder if they need aggressive individuals on the force for situations where deadly threat is real? I guess nothing's as simple as it seems.

Trouble

Banned
I just realized something...

Why is a Ford employee of 37 years driving a Cadillac? Fishy.

Why hasn't the lamestream media picked up on this?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
First off let me state that I firmly believe that there is a real and pervasive issue with police abuse of power and with conscious / unconscious bias that needs to be addressed. I also believe that this specific incident represents an example of that problem. I've replied with comments to that effect earlier in the thread.

I'd like to address, though, the tenor of our conversation here - specifically the immediate rancor with which people reply to users like patrol.

If anything, this is *exactly* the type of person with a different opinion that would be great to engage in conversation with. He's been respectful, willing to answer questions, etc.

Does patrol's profession make him biased in certain ways? Almost certainly yes.

Can we still learn something from his more "insider" information and experience? Almost certainly yes.

So let's lay down our immediate reaction of disgust. Let's resist the desire to simply categorize him and dismiss him. Let's accept the fact that our respective places in the world color our perceptions, and let's work toward helping each other see beyond those perceptions.

To that end, patrol:

I'm interested in what standard police procedure is when it comes to when to draw your weapon.

What's considered "trigger happy," so to speak, when it comes to simply drawing the weapon?

Also, is there a standard number of officers that should be involved in subduing someone? Or is it just "pile on?"

Have you undergone any unconscious bias training? Do you see such training as valuable?

Given the facts, would you agree that we can't use the claim of the man biting the officer as part of our judgment here?

And finally, in this case, what other approach could the officers have taken with this person?

Thanks!
Patrol is highly disingenuous and intellectually dishonest so we actually can't reliably learn shit from him.

YoungHav

Banned
Patrol is highly disingenuous and intellectually dishonest so we actually can't reliably learn shit from him.
As are most GAF-cop posts. I've yet to see anything but defend defend defend defend defend the institution at all costs. It's sickening behavior. I've actually had a discussion w/a black cop that defended Tamir Rice and John Crawford's shooting.

Aselith

Here's a question. If the guy's chin is in the inner elbow of the officer's arm, how did he bite him?

Merc_

As are most GAF-cop posts. I've yet to see anything but defend defend defend defend defend the institution at all costs. It's sickening behavior. I've actually had a discussion w/a black cop that defended Tamir Rice and John Crawford's shooting.

That doesn't surprise me. Black cops can actually be worse that white cops because they feel the need to prove themselves to their bacon brethren.

YoungHav

Banned
HOW?! DID HE NOT SEE THE VIDEO!?
"Police officers go by whatever information their callers give them. They were told he was pointing a gun" "He should have immediately dropped the gun when he saw them".

He denied institutional racism/police discrimination existed, that ghettoes were state created, and scoffed at the suggestion that the S.I./Garner grand jury were probably racist. (I had made the point that lack of empathy for dead black men was probably behind the failure to indict in that case). I was just baffled that this was all coming from a black cop.

It's as if their brains will just die on them if they admit, hey maybe an officer may have possibly crossed the line. It's just amazing and incredibly sad on how a group of people can consistently have totally different interactions with law enforcement than the average American does. Some Southern PDs evolved directly from Slave Patrols for chrissakes. You cannot even quantify how many black lives have been wasted from killings or planted evidence at the hands of police... over centuries.

We're still on some plantation shit where punching an overseer means America will cheer for your death.

leakey

I love how they had to mention drugs being in the car, as if the presence of drugs justified trying to kill this man.

I love how they had to mention drugs being in the car, as if the presence of drugs justified trying to kill this man.

That, and the justification of the stop to begin with. Keep in mind this is a black man in a nice car, driving in a "rough" neighborhood while they were "looking for drugs".

Aselith

"Police officers go by whatever information their callers give them. They were told he was pointing a gun" "He should have immediately dropped the gun when he saw them".

He denied institutional racism/police discrimination existed, that ghettoes were state created, and scoffed at the suggestion that the S.I./Garner grand jury were probably racist. (I had made the point that lack of empathy for dead black men was probably behind the failure to indict in that case). I was just baffled that this was all coming from a black cop.

It's as if their brains will just die on them if they admit, hey maybe an officer may have possibly crossed the line. It's just amazing and incredibly sad on how a group of people can consistently have totally different interactions with law enforcement than the average American does. Some Southern PDs evolved directly from Slave Patrols for chrissakes. You cannot even quantify how many black lives have been wasted from killings or planted evidence at the hands of police... over centuries.

We're still on some plantation shit where punching an overseer means America will cheer for your death.

That kid dropped immediately. I'm pretty sure Loehmann started firing before he even got out the door. Just insane.

Sàmban

Banned
You know what? Cut the crap. What is your opinion of the police officer in question patrol? Why do you think of him being on the force even after having a history of falsifying records, planting drugs, and causing taxpayers a ton of money in wrongful death lawsuits? Do you think his past actions have some bearing on what happened to the victim?

Stop with the technical non-answers and tip-toeing bullshit and give us a straight response.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with American cops? God being black in America must be fucking terrifying. Come down to Australia guys. Our bad cops are usually of the drug dealing/corruption variety. So you should be all good down here.

Volimar

Sàmban;157660396 said:
You know what? Cut the crap. What is your opinion of the police officer in question patrol? Why do you think of him being on the force even after having a history of falsifying records, planting drugs, and causing taxpayers a ton of money in wrongful death lawsuits? Do you think his past actions have some bearing on what happened to the victim?

Stop with the technical non-answers and tip-toeing bullshit and give us a straight response.

I'm not his nanny but...why? He's not beholden to you or any other GAFfer. As long as he doesn't violate the TOS he can remark any way he wants. He's not every police officer and can't speak to exactly what they were thinking. I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but these personal attacks are getting out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom