• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Helmholtz

I didn't notice any of the product placement either.
I noticed it, but probably only because of reading the complaining in this thread beforehand. It really didn't bother me at all. All I can remember is seeing a Sears and Ihop, which doesn't really bother me since they're just buildings.

You got a quote on that? A link to an article? Anything?

His fight with the Salkinds had little to do with product placement.

It has been years when this was talked about. Right when the DVDs were first being released.
You have to admit, there is a lot of product placement in Superman 2 & every single one of them, after their initial shot, gets mangled, crushed & destroyed.

SimleuqiR

Superman Film 'Man of Steel' Sets Record for Product Placement

Movies are supposed to be art, not a a outlet for commercials.
Then again, I wouldn't call these string of summer blockbusters & superhero movies the past few years anything close to an art form.

So ads are not a form of art?
Anyway, growing up my comics had ads in between panels (has this changed?). Comic book studios had to make money, so do movie studios. Remember, these big blockbusters are what helps finance does small indie movies.

Plus, this extra cash just assures that I get my JL movie.

I also noticed the ham fisted way they tried to add the American Flag & a picture of Jesus next to Superman in certain scenes.
Maybe the Catholic Church & Obama threw a few bucks to Man of Steel as well?

But seriously, those scenes had the subtly as much as Superman tossing Zod through a nuclear reactor.

effzee

There is a certain segment of the audience who instead of enjoying the movie and realizing that Sears and IHOP are just regular places, would rather be offended that any real life products exist in Superman's world.

I noticed the buildings but just that they were there not that it was blatant product placement.

Toa TAK

Banned
I also noticed the ham fisted way they tried to add the American Flag & a picture of Jesus next to Superman in certain scenes.

But seriously, those scenes had the subtly as much as Superman tossing Zod through a nuclear reactor.

Now you're being silly. You're watching the wrong kind of films if you're constantly on the lookout for masterpieces of film (summer blockbusters that is).

Vyer

The product placement is noticeable, but didn't bother me.

The poor writing and pacing did though.

Still had fun, there's a lot of potential and things I was happy to see in a Superman movie. But the film was a little disjointed overall and felt very scattered. The whole thing felt like it just needed someone to step in and clean it up a bit.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The product placement didn't bother but it was funny. Like everybody having a Nokia, yeah that only happens in movies.

effzee

Yeah wtf right? I thought the movie was taking place in Canada and next thing I know we see an American flag? And the US military what? How did they get there?

A man in crisis soul searching in a church? Now I've seen everything!

Now you're being silly. You're watching the wrong kind of films if you're constantly on the lookout for masterpieces of film (summer blockbusters that is).

Not really, I enjoyed it for what it was. I came in knowing what to expect, not a comic book movie classic, but a passable summer flick that didn't make me regret paying the ticket price.

I can see why the movie is getting a lower rating than Superman returns. The writing sucked.

It has been years when this was talked about. Right when the DVDs were first being released.
You have to admit, there is a lot of product placement in Superman 2 & every single one of them, after their initial shot, gets mangled, crushed & destroyed.

You're remembering this wrong. Donner has apologized for all his product placement (especially the glamorizing of smoking) but he wasn't FORCED to do it. His apology was his. Because he wasn't thinking about how harmful it would be to essentially let Superman be an ad for cigarettes in one form or another (or JVC, or Coke) It was literally an afterthought to him. It didn't matter. "Oh, Marlboro wants to be on the truck? Fine, whatever."

The fights Donner had with the Salkinds didn't have anything to do with product placement (and Donner didn't dictate how the fight would play out based on that placement, either: Billboards were going to blow up and trucks were going to get smashed - it was just a matter of putting logos on those items) Donner had fights with the Salkinds because they were breathing down his neck to do everything faster, and do everything cheaper. When Donner started popping off in the media about how shitty they were being to him on set about his shoot, they took the opportunity to cut both him and Brando from the budget and bring in their friend Lester.

Coke & Marlboro getting their trucks & signs wrecked wasn't a rebellious act by Donner, just like IHOP & Sears getting tore up wasn't a rebellious act by Snyder.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The movie's editing and story telling reminded me of a watered down Alexander. That movie was mad ADD.

Bullshit, Donner had superman get thrown into a fuckin marlboro truck (Lois preferred brand)

there was just as much product placement in Donner's films. at least snyder wasn't selling fuckin cigarettes with his take.

Was that Donner or Lester though? Does anybody know who did the fight scenes for II?

As for the product placement, I notice it, but it doesn't bother me. Of all the problems I had with MOS, and there are many, the product placement wasn't one of them.

Was that Donner or Lester though? Does anybody know who did the fight scenes for II?

I believe it was both. Some parts of the Superman II fight were basically re-shot by Lester (including the more slapstick bits) I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a large chunk of the Metropolis fight was Donner (as evidenced by Luthor being present for most of it)

Dead

well not really...yet
Finally listening to the 28 minute Man of Steel suite by Zimmer on the OST and its pretty stunning. Like a story about Superman unto itself.

Sojgat

Just watched it.

Michael Shannon was great, the action was amazing, but overall the movie left me kind of unimpressed. Really didn't like Amy Adams as Lois.

Oh, well...

Dead

well not really...yet
Ok, so this is pretty funny

Goyer: I would love to answer that, but they'll poison me with kryptonite if I answer. I will tell you a funny anecdote, though. On Russell Crowe's first day of shooting in Vancouver, I was on set, and we were waiting for him to come get in his Kryptonian armor. I was joking around with the crew, and we were talking about the various superpets that had been introduced in the 1950s. There's Krypto, Streaky the Supercat, Comet the Superhorse and Beppo the Supermonkey. They crew said, "There's no way those characters exist," so I showed them pictures of Beppo on my iPhone. Then I met Russell Crowe. He was in the Jor-El armor, and it was very intimidating. We were sitting there waiting to shoot the first scene, and I said, "You know that you're shooting this scene with Beppo, right?" He was like, "Who's Beppo?" I showed him the picture on my iPhone, and I said, "He's going to be CG." And there was this moment where you could see him looking around and thinking, "What the fuck?" Then he just said, "You're kidding, right?" And I was like, "Yeah."

:lol

Dead

well not really...yet
I can imagine Russel's mind just not computing right there.
This basically:

6OD7icD.gif

Now just imagine this: they will seriously have a situation like that while shooting Guardians of the Galaxy. "Okay, this is where you are talking to the raccoon with the rocket launcher in his paws."

Log4Girlz

I believe him. You can take all kinds of supplements, that can really bulk you up and cut you up. It doesn't always have to be roids or HGH. And I do not have a problem at all with actors doing this. If it was my job, I would too. Cavill is too young to need HGH. So maybe he was natural.

He probably altered his diet to include

Protein (and lots of it)

Electrolytes (to keep him hydrated)

Dietary Fiber (for regularity)

Supplements (such as carnitine)

Really, I think it's more the fact that the fucking animal is named BEPPO.

I can see him just trying to wrap his mouth around THAT word and make it sound like it should be coming out of his head. And getting ANGRY at the thought of it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Can't wait for dat Maximum Movie Mode

Kinda cool how Snyder said the first image he storyboarded for the film was the one of Supes hitting the safe...wasn't the first released image of Cavill as Supes?

Xevren

Watched it tonight and really enjoyed it. Action in this was so damn awesome. Going to check it out again soon I think.

Dead

well not really...yet
Has anyone seen this in Dolby Atmos (or any movie really)?

Is it worth it?

Theres a new theater in town and it seems like every showing of the film is in Atmos and was thinking id go there for a 2nd viewing...

Totakeke

Saw it in Atmos 2nd time. Not sure if there's different versions of Atmos, but the sound was definitely noticeably better right since the beginning. Definitely worth it for the ~10% price difference that I paid compared to a normal theatre

Top Bottom