• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

The movie was pretty great, and out of the problems with it, the biggest ones are by far inalienable parts of the Superman myths. There is no way to logically explain why no Kryptonians escaped Krypton. Superman can't really be hurt, and the only thing that can match up to him are enemies of similar physical constitution (unless you want to use kryptonite, which is overused and more often than not just a cheesy plot facilitator). And so on and so forth.

It was explained pretty well

the council rejected jor els claim that krypton was going to explode. This was further evidenced when jor els wife tells her robot that 'see jorel was right all along'

Burt

It was explained pretty well

the council rejected jor els claim that krypton was going to explode. This was further evidenced when jor els wife tells her robot that 'see jorel was right all along'
You still have to deal with the fact that there were apparently no Kryptonians in space working or on spacefaring missions, no colonies anywhere, no capabilities for any of their ships to make it swiftly into space once shit started blowing up (which Zod's ship showed they were capable of) or literally zero advance warning, and you're still talking about Jor-el being the only person on an entire planet of highly advanced beings that saw it coming. Besides Zod I guess, but if the two of them knew, how come no one else did? How come they themselves didn't leave while they could? It was definitely established that there was time.

Regardless, it still falls into the ridiculous "TOLD YA SO" trope that fits fine into some situations in some movies (Die Hards, I Robot... Well, pretty much every dumb fun action movie ever), but doesn't match up when you're talking about a planet of of highly advanced beings letting themselves die.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The movie was pretty great, and out of the problems with it, the biggest ones are by far inalienable parts of the Superman myths. There is no way to logically explain why no Kryptonians escaped Krypton. Superman can't really be hurt, and the only thing that can match up to him are enemies of similar physical constitution (unless you want to use kryptonite, which is overused and more often than not just a cheesy plot facilitator). And so on and so forth.

also, who knows? Maybe some other Kryptonians took safety measures and survived... they might crop up in future movies (i.e. Brainiac? Bizzaro? Other kryptonian villains or friends--Kara?). You can't expect them to put all their cards on the table and show every survivor in the very first movie.

Burt

also, who knows? Maybe some other Kryptonians took safety measures and survived... they might crop up in future movies (i.e. Brainiac? Bizzaro? Other kryptonian villains or friends--Kara?)
Yeah, that's something I considered, but looking at the civilization as a whole, you know what I mean.

You still have to deal with the fact that there were apparently no Kryptonians in space working or on spacefaring missions, no colonies anywhere, no capabilities for any of their ships to make it swiftly into space once shit started blowing up (which Zod's ship showed they were capable of) or literally zero advance warning, and you're still talking about Jor-el being the only person on an entire planet of highly advanced beings that saw it coming. Besides Zod I guess, but if the two of them knew, how come no one else did? How come they themselves didn't leave while they could? It was definitely established that there was time.

Regardless, it still falls into the ridiculous "TOLD YA SO" trope that fits fine into some situations in some movies (Die Hards, I Robot... Well, pretty much every dumb fun action movie ever), but doesn't match up when you're talking about a planet of of highly advanced beings letting themselves die.

I haven't see it
but I presumed Jor-El wanted to send his son far away so he was safe from other Kryptonians. Isn't the whole reason Zod wants to kill him is because he was naturally birthed. I wouldn't be surprised if there was plenty of other colonies out there, perfect fodder for planetary exploration in sequels.

I haven't see it
but I presumed Jor-El wanted to send his son far away so he was safe from other Kryptonians. Isn't the whole reason Zod wants to kill him is because he was naturally birthed. I wouldn't be surprised if there was plenty of other colonies out there, perfect fodder for planetary exploration in sequels.

no because superman has the codex inside him

I wondered about this as well. It's explained in the Silver Age comics pretty well-- Krypton developed spacecraft and explored, but eventually space travel became forbidden. I had wondered if if they woudl refence something like that in the movie, and I wonder if it got cut.

The shattered moon in Krypton's sky is tied into this silver-age aspect of Krypton.

meh, people spoke yada yada...

all their outposts were dead and it seems they gave up on space travel, politics and all that.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I really enjoyed the movie. The action was fast-paced, but still maintained an element of realism. I didn't feel like, "this is wayyyyy fake" like I did with the Hobbit, for example. Very well done. Music was good, acting was mostly good (although Michael Shannon bothers me)

Its no Batman Begins, but definitely looking forward to the sequel.

3N16MA

Banned
I'm looking back at the thread and people were actually using GAF as part of their proof that MOS has mixed WOM? I'm not saying it doesn't, but you NEVER use GAF as any basis for ANYTHING.

You'd think TDK had mixed WOM if you went by GAF discussions.

I'm waiting for the "Man of Steel is better than Batman Begins" thread and the "I enjoyed Catwoman more than Man of Steel" thread. Might have to give it until 2014.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm waiting for the "Man of Steel is better than Batman Begins" thread and the "I enjoyed Catwoman more than Man of Steel" thread. Might have to give it until 2014.

I got that one in my pocket haha jk

fuck hurry up Thursday! :(

witness

So at my office they had the blood donor bus and were giving away fandango gift cards, so I went ahead and did it. I feel like shit now and my arm hurts but at least we are going to see MoS again for a couple of bucks. Let's go Saturday! I am just as pumped as I was last Friday.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
which theater are you going to?

Kips Bay Imax

Sadly not the Lincoln Square Imax, but all I see is 3D showing's there and I don't want to see it in 3D esp the first time.

Got my bro coming with me as well now, be curious to see what he thinks since he doesn't give a shit about Supes and loves Marvel. He does love Nolan's Bat films so I'm sure that's why he's willing to go lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Got a copy of the art of/making of book. Some cool shit on there. Maybe I'll post a few pics later...

Matrix

Got a copy of the art of/making of book. Some cool shit on there. Maybe I'll post a few pics later...

I got the book too today from amazon... of course I can't look at it yet :( Love the embossed cover/S shield.

raiyzo

Neo Member
I think there are a few reasons as to why this movie is so divisive:

1. Zach Snyder is always divisive. Watchmen? 300?
2. Realism. The realism seems to give the movie an unsentimental, humorless tone, relatively speaking
3. This superman doesn't represent the right version of Superman for many. The recurring complaint about MOS is that Superman doesn't seem to care about all the destruction around him AND he
kills Zod
. For many, this made it a bad movie
4. Action. Some love it, some don't and it seems to be 50/50 here when it comes to the spectacle delivered in MOS

What did Smith think of the film?

Does he mention the Polar Bear?

he mentions
the polar bear, the spider thing and the robot guardians at the fortress of solitude that were in his script and said he thought they were fucking with him for a second

he generally likes the film though, realizes it can't be the same Superman from 30-40 years ago and enjoyed it for what it was. He seems more excited about it laying the groundwork for Justice League and Man of Steel 2 though.

Dead

well not really...yet
I nearly spat out my drink laughing when the Polar Bear appeared

There's no way that wasn't a deliberate in-joke...lol

raiyzo

Neo Member

Superman was created in a way that it's almost impossible to explain everything logically. Forget about the question of why no-on was able to escape Krypton, just stop and think: 'Why do Kryptonians look exactly like humans?' really? a planet, another species light years away resemble humans in every minute detail? There's a long list and so people can't go into a movie like MOS poking holes at anything that doesn't make sense; it's just an amalgamation of many many illogical/unexplainable things

Zabka

I nearly spat out my drink laughing when the Polar Bear appeared

There's no way that wasn't a deliberate in-joke...lol

http://www.empireonline.com/features/man-of-steel-secrets/p2

Zack Snyder: "Unfortunately there was no battle. It was funny because when I was drawing the storyboards I was laughing to myself, drawing the thing. We didn’t shoot it but I had drawn it as this dolly move where we were with a polar bear and he’s lumbering across the ice and he finally jumps and leaps and splashes into the water. It proved to be a lot more difficult to photograph than I had imagined, and I definitely did not want to do a CG polar bear.

Kips Bay Imax

Sadly not the Lincoln Square Imax, but all I see is 3D showing's there and I don't want to see it in 3D esp the first time.

Got my bro coming with me as well now, be curious to see what he thinks since he doesn't give a shit about Supes and loves Marvel. He does love Nolan's Bat films so I'm sure that's why he's willing to go lol
I just got back from Lincoln Square IMAX. The 3D was...unobtrusive, which is probably the best thing I can say about any post-converted film.

Lincoln Square IMAX also has reserved seating now, which is a godsend for getting the sweet spot of seats in that theater. Any decent seats are now taken through at least Thursday, though.

Checking it out tonight, how is it on IMAX 3D (not lieMAX)? I thought star trek into darkness imax 3d was amazing btw.
I saw Into Darkness in the same theater, and thought Man of Steel's 3D was better. Both great experiences, but to me, Trek was so busy on screen at all times that it was tough for me to focus with the 3D.

Matrix

I just got back from Lincoln Square IMAX. The 3D was...unobtrusive, which is probably the best thing I can say about any post-converted film.

Lincoln Square IMAX also has reserved seating now, which is a godsend for getting the sweet spot of seats in that theater. Any decent seats are now taken through at least Thursday, though.

Thanks for the info. When I see it a second time it will be there. I was originally just going to see it there cause of like you said reserved seating, being the real Imax and the show times were better, but my bro gets sick watching any 3D so it will have to be another time for me.

Freaking Kips Bay only has one show time playing on regular Imax and it's 3pm, one showing on that screen all day. I swear the way the movie is being shown in the city is strange.

Salsa

just got back

Digital Zoom: The Movie

jesus christ Snyder, jumping from one visual gimmick to the next. It became unbearable.

will post other thoughts in the spoiler thread.

Just got back from seeing it. It was okay, not sure what there is to love about it. I think I just have problems with the Superman character and universe from the get go, and superhero movies only appeal to me if I enjoy the characters I'm watching. There are just no real stakes and I've just seen too many to trick my mind to go with it. The drama was just utterly inert. It probably doesn't help that I just saw Before Midnight last Friday and I can't stop thinking about it.

I don't want to take anything away from those that enjoyed it, but one of things that bothered me was how
when Zod told Supes straight up all he wanted to do was kill him, that Supes didn't immediately take the fight away from civilization. Superman knows he's endangering people's lives by fighting Zod in metropolis. Just get out of there. Zod seemed pretty willing to follow you.

Top Bottom