• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Solo

For all the hate Rises gets here, its 3rd act is better than Begins and TDK's.

You think so? The final Bane/Batman "showdown" is so woefully undercooked its shameful, and then there is the awful "twist" which undoes the entire character of Bane, several examples of atrocious acting, etc. I love the final 5 minutes, but the third act is a whole? Uh......

TDKR will benefit of what Solo is talking about when he mentions running time, there is a lot of scenes that doesn't make sense, or that serves no purpose only to extend the story somehow.

After the stadium collapsed there was a lot of downtime that wasn't necessary IMO.

not to keep derailing this, but i think TDKR's problem was actually there wasn't ENOUGH. the film all but throws up a title card that says "six months pass" or however long it was, and it is clumsy as hell. you don't even get a sense that anything happened in that time, either. everyone sat on their hands until it was time for the bomb to almost go off. there needed to be some serious rewrites or just a full second movie.

Solo

not to keep derailing this, but i think TDKR's problem was actually there wasn't ENOUGH. the film all but throws up a title card that says "six months pass" or however long it was, and it is clumsy as hell. you don't even get a sense that anything happened in that time, either. everyone sat on their hands until it was time for the bomb to almost go off. there needed to be some serious rewrites or just a full second movie.

If they'd not even bothered with the League of Shadows crap (originally the idea tickled me as a BB lover, but in hindsight its extremely fan-fic-y and pandering) and jettisoned Talia, they could have had a much more solid movie with that same run-time. Added bonus: Bane would be spared the complete character assassination he went through.

I didn't love Catwoman or John Blake either, but both are necessary for various reasons. Selina to give Bruce something to live/a chance at a real life, and John to embody the "Batman is eternal" undercurrent. Talia and the LoS? Served no purpose aside from fanservice.

BadAss2961

You think so? The final Bane/Batman "showdown" is so woefully undercooked its shameful, and then there is the awful "twist" which undoes the entire character of Bane, several examples of atrocious acting, etc. I love the final 5 minutes, but the third act is a whole? Uh......
The Bane/Batman fight should've been a lot longer, but the scene is so well shot and beautiful to watch. It really is too bad the fight itself was undercooked, but the whole movie builds up to that moment and the stage still feels perfect to me every time I see it.

I'm fine with the reveal at the end. Bane was still a badass, and he'd never been given the spotlight the way Rises did for him.

My first time hearing about this move honestly. After watching the trailers...fuck yeah this isn't all all like the past shitty sup movies. Will see.

If they'd not even bothered with the League of Shadows crap (originally the idea tickled me as a BB lover, but in hindsight its extremely fan-fic-y and pandering) and jettisoned Talia, they could have had a much more solid movie with that same run-time. Added bonus: Bane would be spared the complete character assassination he went through.

I didn't love Catwoman or John Blake either, but both are necessary for various reasons. Selina to give Bruce something to live/a chance at a real life, and John to embody the "Batman is eternal" undercurrent. Talia and the LoS? Served no purpose aside from fanservice.

honestly i would have been ok that Bane was the son of Ra's. it's just the Talia part that gets to me.

JDHarbs

Been my most anticipated film since it was announced. Can't wait to see it.

Oh and...

Rock chalk, Jayhawk.

Screen_shot_2013-04-18_at_2.13.30_PM_2_t600x260.png
Rock Chalk!

Veelk

Banned
Is there a more bitchmade villain then Bane?

How in the hell is Bane bitchmade? Going by the urban dictionary, he never whines or doesn't stand up for himself or anything. While he is faithful to Talia, he has enough initiative to disobey her when he sees fit (he tries to kill Batman).

If he's bitchmade just because he's devoted to following the person he raised on their insane scheme, then does that make Alfred bitchmade too?

Solo

stop talking about batman already! this is Superman's time to shine, leave the darkness behind and join us in the sun already!

Well, the way I see it is we either get spammed with spoilery MoS gifs, or we talk Batman.

Besides, GAF told me Christopher Nolan directed Man of Steel, so really we're just discussing the director's previous work...

How in the hell is Bane bitchmade? Going by the urban dictionary, he never whines or doesn't stand up for himself or anything. While he is faithful to Talia, he has enough initiative to disobey her when he sees fit (he tries to kill Batman).

If he's bitchmade just because he's devoted to following the person he raised on their insane scheme, then does that make Alfred bitchmade too?

Bane's actually a total boss.

Talia's sorta lame. Some days I go hot and cold on it, but her twist as being Talia was like... just there for the sake of shouting TWIST! I didn't mind it, I guess. I guess they wanted to parallel the Bruce/Alfred relationship... but Alfred needed to be in it more.

They should have ended it with Alfred blowing him away with a shotgun a Cockney "You know Master Wayne, I never was too fond of that 'no guns' rule myself." Then had an awesome father/son Bro moment that would bring tears to our eyes before the sacrifice.

I dunno. I still love the movie.

LOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I still remember getting banned over that foiler (for calling someone a cunt) and then getting unbanned like 40 minutes later :lol

Hahahahaha.

Was that someone screaming in bold 'BANE KILLS ALFRED' and everyone losing their shit or something? I think I missed that but found out after.

I woulda had a heart attack.

But Alfred shoulda killed Bane. Straight up legit.

Solo

Hahahahaha.

Was that someone screaming in bold 'BANE KILLS ALFRED' and everyone losing their shit or something? I think I missed that but found out after.

I woulda had a heart attack.

But Alfred shoulda killed Bane. Straight up legit.

Someone came into the OT and posted

BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED

Like 100 times over in a post, and then managed to make the same post like 4 times before he finally got banned. In retrospect, it was a hilarious account suicide.

Veelk

Banned
Because he does it all for a girrrrlllll.

you can dress it up, but that's basically the core of it.

Okay? So? Alfred was for Bruce what Bane was for Talia. If the only difference here is gender, then then this is walking into sexist territory.

They should have ended it with Alfred blowing him away with a shotgun a Cockney "You know Master Wayne, I never was too fond of that 'no guns' rule myself." Then had an awesome father/son Bro moment that would bring tears to our eyes before the sacrifice.

You keep bringing this up, but it'd have made way less sense than Catwoman, especially since that moment is the specific moment is the most essential piece of her character arc. I love Alfred too, but it wouldn't have fit, no matter how much you want it to. Bruce needed to connect to other people outside his past, which is also why Catwoman is the necessary emotional bond for him, not Alfred. Alfred saving him at the end would have undermined that.

Anyway, Talia isn't lame, but good god, Marion Cotillard's portrayal was. Nolan is a good story writer, but I think he needs someone who cares more about presentation to do the directing. MoS will confirm whether this is true.

shira

BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED

Like 100 times over in a post, and then managed to make the same post like 4 times before he finally got banned. In retrospect, it was a hilarious account suicide.
Solo alt confirmed. Who remembers that shit

Since I've asked the Sony faithful, I figured I'd ask here as well.

I have tickets to see this Monday night, do I wait and see it Friday and watch the Sony E3 conference live or go Monday night?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED
BANE KILLS ALFRED

Ah yeah, good times.

Okay? So? Alfred was for Bruce what Bane was for Talia. If the only difference here is gender, then then this is walking into sexist territory.

The Bruce/Talia parallel was fine... but Marion's portrayal wasn't fantastic. Wish there was more time to devote to that whole thing.

You keep bringing this up, but it'd have made way less sense than Catwoman, especially since that moment is the specific moment is the most essential piece of her character arc. I love Alfred too, but it wouldn't have fit, no matter how much you want it to.

Anyway, Talia isn't lame, but good god, her portrayal was. Nolan is a good story writer, but I think he needs someone who cares more about presentation to do the directing. MoS will confirm whether this is true.

It would have fit. They would have found a way to make it fit! It just felt wrong for there not to be a final conversation between Bruce and Alfred, despite the sighting in Florence later. I dunno why.

"You still haven't given up on me?"

"Nevah. Unless you're trying to kill yourself, in which case go for it cause you ain't gonna listen to me you prat."

I'm just saying...

It would have been cool as fuck.

caine+shotgun.jpg

"Sorry Bane, Master Wayne is too busy for your shit."

Shit, have Bruce be rescued by Alfred and have him fly away after Talia only to witness Selina firing the Batpod gunpods at Talia's truck or something and engaging in a chase.

Veelk

Banned

Well, then they should atleast keep it consistent. If Bane was in love with the child he raised, then Alfred must have gotten quite hot and bothered all those times he had to undress bruce to treat his wounds.

It would have fit. They would have found a way to make it fit! It just felt wrong for there not to be a final conversation between Bruce and Alfred, despite the sighting in Florence later. I dunno why.

They should have not shown the flashback in the beginning. Maybe add a small dialogue between them at the end where they share mutual respect and affection. That would have been enough. The point of the film was bruce letting go of his past. Alfred was out, Selina was in. They could have done a better job with it, but in the end, Alfred's part has ended.

Simo

Since I've asked the Sony faithful, I figured I'd ask here as well.

I have tickets to see this Monday night, do I wait and see it Friday and watch the Sony E3 conference live or go Monday night?

See the movie. You can just rewatch the conference and catch up after.

Related note...I didn't even know when E3 was this year.

Simo do they go into great detail about Superman's powers?

Like a realistic scientific explanation? No but X-Ray vision has never looked as cool as it does in MOS.

mrkgoo

Re: jay Leno clip:

i really like the possible idea that Zod is defeated by his over-poweredness. It gives us a view of the superman character I hadn't considered and is pretty cool. Is this from the comics?

Veelk

Banned
Like a realistic scientific explanation? No but X-Ray vision has never looked as cool as it does in MOS.

Explaining Superman's physiology realistically is an exercise in futility. Good thing they don't bother trying.

MisterHero

Re: jay Leno clip:

i really like the possible idea that Zod is defeated by his over-poweredness. It gives us a view of the superman character I hadn't considered and is pretty cool. Is this from the comics?
Comic spoilers

there was a "fake" version of Zod that had kryptonian powers under a red sun. IIRC Superman made the sun come back and Zod killed himself by crashing into him

It's somewhat hilarious that MoS Zod has armor based on this fake version

look at the helmet

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm trying so hard to edit a film I crowd-funded this summer, but with E3, Man of Steel, and The Last of Us... it's been hard to sit at a computer and not get distracted.

Top Bottom