• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Ashhong

I've been a fan of Superman for so long that I know he can see different wavelengths and basically has to focus. (Plus it was in one of the earliest trailers).

And it was his suit, or lack of, so you were right in a way.

Not harshing on the movie, just exposition in general.

Yea don't get me wrong, exposition can be kind of annoying. But this didn't seem that bad to me, probably because I didn't get it at first either. Now it makes total sense though.

It felt a little watered down compared to other origin stories. Iron Man and Batman Begins did it a little better. It was just in the way it was presented. It's not linear and I could've used more time spent on it directly.

That sounds kind of great to me. Not another hour and a half spent at the start of a movie telling a superhero origin story everyone knows.

Raptor

That sounds kind of great to me. Not another hour and a half spent at the start of a movie telling a superhero origin story everyone knows.

Yes I agree with this, the sooner to action the better.

But I still want some flesh out story in a slow manner, in a review it says teh second act is kinda slow and I really want that to be true.

Veelk

Banned
If they establish Superman as that action oriented, I really wonder how they're gonna do Lex. Lex just isn't a physical opponent to superman, but a moral/intellectual one. Snyder's bombastic action work great against Zod, and would as well against enemies like Metallo and Brainiac and Darkseid, but not Lex.

Eh, Cavill's delivery here is atrocious. Something about the CG just seems... off, as well.

oh please. the delivery is perfectly natural of someone just finished in a fight or something stressful and dangerous.

Sounds like this movie suffers from the same problem as The Dark Knight Rises...too much bloat for a 2 hour movie. Nolan should write mini series.

:(

I was hoping this would be a tight film considering it's the first entry for the franchise

ONE REVIEW. one review and you're already making up your mind on what's wrong?

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice. But to be honest, talking to Zod about how his parents helped after smashing him through buildings in itself seems quite odd. Superman here is actually narrating to the audience what is happening to Zod as he takes off his mask. So whilst the delivery was questionable, I'm not sure he had much to work with considering the lines he had to read

he's not narrating to the audience, he's talking to Zod, almost teasing him.

So in time, this will probably be looked back on like TDKR?
I hope not. I like that movie.

get away from GAF and you'll see that the world is more sane.

I'll stay through the credits probably for the music. But I'm a score nerd.

Dahbomb: No, there's no post-credits scene.

Here's something to think about for those hyped beyond hype - what do you actually WANT out of the movie? If your answer is "something more than a movie" then stop. Because even at its BEST - it's just going to be a movie. Even if its the best Superman movie that's ever existed, it's still just a movie. It's 2 1/2 hours of your time that you spent 10-12 bucks to watch on a weekend.

It's not a horse you're betting on, it's not a little leaguer you raised. It's not a competition. Just a movie.

With Superman in it :)

yes it is, I need Superman to be successful, for people to see how good of a character he is, that not all stories need to be grim-dark and somber. that "join him in the sun" is not a corny line.

The thread title is bad and the explanation didn't help make it any more interesting. OT maker's prerogative, though.

no, it makes sense. last Superman film had no action.

I hate that they always have to explain everything, like the audience is too stupid to figure it out. I gathered that it was him seeing without filters easily enough, I didn't need the exposition. The lowest common denominator strikes again!

yes because you're a nerd. and I'm a Superman nerd and even I needed that quick exposition because it moves the story along nicely, teaching what it takes to weild Superman's powers. that you just don't wake up, put on the cape and you're good to go. that it takes time and practice and patience.

All I want is an enjoyable Superman movie from modern times. The story doesn't have to be perfect, but at least decent with nice emotional beats. Having heard so much of the music already, I have high hopes for the score.

I have a feeling like this is going to be nitpicked to death like the Batman films, namely TDKR. Not that Tdkr didn't deserve it; shit is messy.

I read that as breasts.

Raptor

cHavpmX.png

:D

SJRB

Gold Member
Does anyone have a gif of the "you are not alone" screens at the start of the Zod trailer?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yeah... But I don't think anyone will ever rewatch it for anything other than the visuals.

I'm 100% certain I'll watch it more than once, I'll most likely wear out my future Blu ray copy. I mean Superman and Superman 2 don't have the greatest stories (two of my favorite comic book movies... Superman the movie being my favorite still to this day), lets be honest, and Ive watched them I can't even count how many times now and it's not just for the visuals.

Maybe your non Superman fan might not rewatch an origin film a ton unless it's for visuals, but a Superman fan will rewatch the shit out of this unless it's a bigger turd than Superman 3/4. Heck some people still rewatch Superman Returns and not just for visuals. Hell people rewatch Smallville episodes over and over lol

You might have seen the movie, but I really don't get that statement at all and that's with a lot of movies... not just Superman films.

strafer

I'm 100% certain I'll watch it more than once, I'll most likely wear out my future Blu ray copy. I mean Superman and Superman 2 don't have the greatest stories (two of my favorite comic book movies... Superman the movie being my favorite still to this day), lets be honest, and Ive watched them I can't even count how many times now and it's not just for the visuals.

Maybe your non Superman fan might not rewatch an origin film a ton unless it's for visuals, but a Superman fan will rewatch the shit out of this unless it's a bigger turn than Superman 3/4. Heck some people still rewatch Superman Returns and not just for visuals. Hell people rewatch Smallville episodes over and over lol

You might have seen the movie, but I really don't get that statement at all and that's with a lot of movies... not just Superman films.

Guilty.

Simo

Home from work and I'm still on cloud nine. I've been thinking about the movie all day at work and while some things the more I think about are kind of "eh...", I'm psyched I get to see it again in 6 days!

The more I was telling coworkers about it today the more hyped I was getting again.

Two questions Simo, watching this movie, do you think warner bros is capable of making Justice League at last? And by Warner Bros I mean, if the Snyder-Nolan team is making the JL movie in the end.

Did it made story sense changing Jimmy Olsen to Jenny Olsen in the movie? or she doesnt appear to much to be talked about her?

I suppose they could but the movie felt just as grounded as Nolan's Batman movies except with more Science Fiction. Personally I'd rather they just focus on more MOS movies. I personally have no desire to see a JLA movie yet.

As for Jenny...I'm pretty sure her "identity" was a purpose joke by the filmmakers mainly, and I'll spoiler tag it just in case but we already kind of discussed her before,
shes never referred to as Jenny Olsen, just Jenny. Also the end credits only list her as "Jenny".

Can I also say how cool the WB/Legendary/DC titles were?

Simo

Simo can you say that at last we get after 30 years the Superman movie we fans deserve?

I'd say so, at least it was for me. I really can't wait to see it again next week and already have my tickets including an IMAX showing.

Nicktendo86

Simo, a word for the negative Nancy's? I've not read many negative opinions but the ones I have read pretty much hated the film, I am jaunt worried we have another TDKR on our hands :(

Simo

Simo, how would you compare Man of Steel to Batman Begins?

I'm biased due to being a bigger Superman fan rather than a Batman guy soo.....Of course it wins by default because there's no Katie Holmes.

Honestly it's hard to compare. I feel both of them do the origin stories great in their own way though MOS feels more epic given the scope of the film and those scenes on Krypton and such. I seriously could of watched another hour on Krypton as even the amount you do see there's so much to take in and so much detail. I can't wait to get my hands on that art book.

I also feel there was more screen time as Superman than there was Batman in Batman Begins, if that makes any sense?

Simo, a word for the negative Nancy's? I've not read many negative onions but the ones I have read pretty much hated the film, I am jaunt worried we have another TDKR on our hands :(

I liked TDKR...:(

I can't see why anybody would outright hate it though as the film has enough to offer anybody something.

Raptor

I'm biased due to being a bigger Superman fan rather than a Batman guy soo.....Of course it wins by default because there's no Katie Holmes.

Honestly it's hard to compare. I feel both of them do the origin stories great in their own way though MOS feels more epic given the scope of the film and those scenes on Krypton and such. I seriously could of watched another hour on Krypton as even the amount you do see there's so much to take in and so much detail. I can't wait to get my hands on that art book.

I also feel there was more screen time as Superman than there was Batman in Batman Begins, if that makes any sense?

Yes it makes sense and I'm really glad this is the case, the more Supes with the suit the better :D

Veelk

Banned

Yeah, that makes sense. Bruce had to train to become Batman and still lived his life as the playboy. Superman is
Superman from a very young age and he only becomes Clark Kent at the very end. Atleast from what I've read.

I was just wondering because BB is the standard that MoS has to live up to imo. It's good that it does things differently, I was just worried about it measuring up in quality to BB.

Edit: Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, TDKR is, at the very least, in the same league of quality that BB and TDK are. It doesn't really have many flaws that the franchise didn't already possess and it does a fine job giving a satisfying conclusion to Bruce's character arc. It has some distracting problems and I wish it did certain things differently, but it's very much a worthy ending to the trilogy.

Simo

Yes it makes sense and I'm really glad this is the case, the more Supes with the suit the better :D

For me, and others in the screening felt the same way including my guest, the pacing made it feel like he's in the suit pretty early on....timeframe reference...
could actually be an hour or two in to the movie for all I know but it surprised me how soon he dons the cape.

For me, and others in the screening felt the same way including my guest, the pacing made it feel like he's in the suit pretty early on....timeframe reference...
could actually be an hour or two in to the movie for all I know but it surprised me how soon he dons the cape.

Did you wake up today with the urge to see it again today. A yearning?

Simo

Did you wake up today with the urge to see it again today. A yearning?

You could say that. Like I said earlier I've been thinking about the movie all day and can't wait to see it again next week. :)

How was the audience? Any claps?

Everybody clapped and cheered at the end. Audience was well into the movie too including a lot of "HOLY SHIT!" during one scene but we'll talk about that next week in the spoiler thread.

Top Bottom