• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

KalBalboa

Banned
Embargoes are funny. A movie studio probably wouldn't squash a positive early review. But if you got some bad shit to say you better wait until the time comes or get in trouble.

I get the feeling there's a schism coming.

No, I mean- in this very thread. Simo, etc.

strafer

Simo liked it. That's good enough for me.

Then again, who cares if they don't like it, the only thing that matters is that I like it.

A conversation between writer/producer Kevin Biegel, film critic/screenwriter Drew McWeeney, film writer Kim Jordan, and film critic Devin Faraci.

qTXA96X.png

ECKpqtw.png

GIRAQYw.png

Drew is cool and we usually agree on a lot of things.

lol

I truly can't stand Devin Faraci. He could love this movie for all I care and it still wouldn't change my opinion on him. Maybe he's a great guy in real life, but he just comes across as a grumpy joyless douche online. Why over 15,000 follow him on twitter I will never understand.

Devin is already Devin'ing? At least it seems like his shtick is getting made fun of by others.

Pretty much. Too bad he is supposedly an awesome guy IRL. One of my friend's and him are super cool.

Tomorrow on Film Stage: Seven Superman Stories About Superman You Should Read Before Seeing Man of Steel.

Embargoes are funny. A movie studio probably wouldn't squash a positive early review. But if you got some bad shit to say you better wait until the time comes or get in trouble.

I get the feeling there's a schism coming.
If the embargo was up the day before the movie I would be scared. It isn't. Monday before=good or the company has faith. Any day from Weds-Friday (The release day for most films)= no faith or it is downright bad. It also depends which critics have seen it too. I know a few of the bigger sites/magazines here in LA aren't seeing it until either Monday or Tuesday.

Really? People posting publicly earlier loved it.
im obviously not gonna spoil you but something about the film is gonna straight up ruin the movie for some of you, that's all. That's pretty much whats turned the thread negative and it'll happen here.

Expect some heated discussions.

strafer

im obviously not gonna spoil you but something about the film is gonna straight up ruin the movie for some of you, that's all. That's pretty much whats turned the thread negative and it'll happen here.

Expect some heated discussions.

Heated discussions on GAF? Well I be damned.

well hopefully it's just not a mess like tdkr (barring the last beautiful 5 minutes)

i can forgive plot holes and the like. unless they're written by damon lindelof and his cronies. because those guys make movies that i can't even think about 5 minutes after leaving the theater without hating it.

best film from marvel studios. most people didn't like it around here though. i'm just so happy i got a shane black movie with iron man as opposed to just an iron man movie by some director for hire.

second best film of the summer after fast and furious. hopefully man of steel trumps both.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
No, I mean- in this very thread. Simo, etc.

The fact that Simo loved it and he's a huge Superman fan makes me feel pretty damn comfortable going into this movie as a Supes fan.

"im obviously not gonna spoil you but something about the film is gonna straight up ruin the movie for some of you, that's all. That's pretty much whats turned the thread negative and it'll happen here."

If it's some change to the origin, a character or whatever no shits given here. Superman and parts of his story have changed so much over the course of 75 years that nothing will bother me if it's regarding that (except having a kid lol). Not shocked that a Supes thread has finally turned negative here though, he's never been a huge favorite on GAF and Ive been posting here for like 14 or 15 years.

Bitching about a plot point on GAF? shocking lol happens with every superhero movie.

shira

Expendable/sculli meta seems to work for me. Not too fan boyish ,with exceptions ,but pretty close intaste for me

Rip ebert. Usually way off but tha first sentence spoilage. I don't really know any critics worth reading these days

TEJ

liberties taken with an adaptation don't bother me most of the time. not everything has to fit the status quo.

though, I am a fan of consistancy within expressed logic of a universe. Something silly like a nuclear bomb or a microwave evaporator fits the nolan trilogy but man bat or clayface from the comics wouldn't.

like how I wouldn't expect adam west batman to feel remorse over his parents death because i'm fairly certain his origin was never mentioned in the show or movie.

Nicktendo86

The fact that Simo loved it and he's a huge Superman fan makes me feel pretty damn comfortable going into this movie as a Supes fan.

"im obviously not gonna spoil you but something about the film is gonna straight up ruin the movie for some of you, that's all. That's pretty much whats turned the thread negative and it'll happen here."

If it's some change to the origin, a character or whatever no shits given here. Superman and parts of his story have changed so much over the course of 75 years that nothing will bother me if it's regarding that (except having a kid lol). Not shocked that a Supes thread has finally turned negative here though, he's never been a huge favorite on GAF and Ive been posting here for like 14 or 15 years.

Bitching about a plot point on GAF? shocking lol happens with every superhero movie.
I've not seen the film but have read some of the spoilers, if it is what I think it is then don't sweat it. People getting upset over it are baffling me to be honest.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Expendable/sculli meta seems to work for me. Not too fan boyish ,with exceptions ,but pretty close intaste for me

Rip ebert. Usually way off but tha first sentence spoilage. I don't really know any critics worth reading these days

RIP Ebert indeed.

The best critic will always be yourself anyway.

Nicktendo86, trust me... I'm not :)

Matrix

From what I recall, most of the fan reaction initially from Superman Returns was positive on the Bluetights forum.

Wasn't here, as soon as word got out about piano tossing kid people went from hyped to ugh really quickly if I recall. Also Bluetights practically felt like the official Returns forum, wasn't shocking that most of the fan response was positive. Plus it had been an even longer wait for a Superman film.

TEJ

I felt that Returns had some interesting ideas but wasted potential.

The piano scene didn't bother me as I figured out early on that the boy was
clarks son

I mean
he's a young boy who wanted to protect his mother.

I liked luthors line about about superman, and lois writing a story about how the world didn't need superman had potential.

Then the whole real estate knockoff plot, very little action, stalker superman, superman getting his ass handed to him, being kissed back to life by a little boy.......was what ruined it.

TEJ

If I had to reference a superman comic it would be

Man of Steel |OT| You're much stronger than you think you are

JB1981

Wow @ Drews reaction. Him and Ebert have always been my favorite critics. Knowing that he had that kind of reaction to the movie has me very excited. Awesome !

Solo

Seeing F&F6 tomorrow finally, and MoS a week from tomorrow. Time for this summer to show me something.

MisterHero

If you guys want to use a gimmick Singer-related title (the one that was "voted" on) there's still X-Men: Days of Future Past. Spend it wisely.

I stand by my callback to Action Comics, one of the longest ongoing comics today.

ku-xlargemmuex.jpg

Part II should be up this weekend. I saw ReiGun and FatboyRoberts's plugs and will probably link them within it.

witness

6 more days of torture. So hyped. Anyone else get really nervous while sitting in a theater waiting for a movie they are really excited about?

Top Bottom