• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

dmshaposv

Are there any non-spoiler reviews out there, yet? I stopped watching all media after the 4th final trailer and want to go unspoiled on this movie. WB has done everything to make that impossible. :/

I take it that many advanced screenings have already happened.

I know what the big controversy is, I deduced it early on. all I'll say is as a big Superman fan it doesn't bother me. I won't say more, it won't ruin my movie going experience either.

I don't think this has been posted:

Arcade - a bonus track from the 2disc version of the soundtrack. Otherwise known as the trailer music for the Nokia trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtEkqSif5IQ

tumblr_llydvdV3x81qawbdt.gif

It's not all of "Arcade" - which is 7min long, apparently. It's just the parts that were used in the Nokia trailer.

It doesn't have the Kryptonian Dubstep at the end. :)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I know what the big controversy is, I deduced it early on. all I'll say is as a big Superman fan it doesn't bother me. I won't say more, it won't ruin my movie going experience either.

Good to know, cause if it doesn't bother you I know it won't bother me at all.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I wonder if they ever actually call him "Superman" in the movie?

Red-Blue Blur.

Sorry man :(

Strafer, honestly that's the least thing to get upset about imo

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/06/07/jimmy-fallon-reviews-man-of-steel-its-fantastic/

Jimmy Fallon's review of MOS..

'saw MOS, blown away'

'it's fantastic'

'you won't believe it'

'movie is insane'

So folks, don't get too discouraged by some of the GAF lackluster reviews, you may think it's awesome... Most early reviews are very positive

Jimmy Fallon gets excited and overwhelmed beyond belief when a game developer picks up a controller. I wouldn't give too much weight to whatever that shill has to say.

GamerXXX

Banned
Jimmy Fallon gets excited and overwhelmed beyond belief when a game developer picks up a controller. I wouldn't give too much weight to whatever that shill has to say.

and i wouldn't give too much weight to what random GAF reviews either or the whole load of early positive reviews on the internet/youtube. I'll wait for critics reveiws and my own impression...

Sent

and i wouldn't give too much weight to what random GAF reviews either or the whole load of early positive reviews on the internet/youtube. I'll wait for critics reveiws and my own impression...

Then why did you post what Fallon said if not as a counter balance?

Veelk

Banned
I do think that Superman
not killing is a large part of his character, much like Batman,
but in the case of the context of Man of Steel, I don't see Zod
being realistically contained. He's way too powerful to be locked up in most places and he already escaped from the Phantom Zone. And even if he could be put back there, I would argue that the Phantom Zone is a harsher punishment than death. Eternally being able to observe the universe but never interact with it is basically sensory deprivation for the skin. Anyone would go insane in a matter of hours, let alone years that he must have spent in there. It isn't humane and I would easily take death over that.

Superman really should be thoughtful about when
he chooses to kill though
. It should weigh heavily on him, even if it's justified.

newarrior

I got to see it on Wednesday (perks of owning a comic book store!), and it's incredible. No spoilers, but it's right up there with Dark Knight and Avengers as my favorite comic movies ever. This isn't a constant Reeves homage, nor creeper Superman. The action is mind-boggling.

You never knew you wanted a Jor-El solo movie until now.

Sent

This isn't a constant Reeves homage, nor creeper Superman. The action is mind-boggling.

You never knew you wanted a Jor-El solo movie until now.

Haha, I agree
that Jor-El kicks way more ass than I anticipated. I thought he would be minor. He's a scene stealer.

GamerXXX

Banned
Then why did you post what Fallon said if not as a counter balance?

for that same purpose so that folks know there are positives and negatives and so you just never know until you see it yourself.

Avatar and Avengers did fantastic at box office yet i bet some didn't like them, i've heard nasty stuff said on Avatar but it didn't stop it from being best sellling movie ever..

Veelk

Banned

This is complete bullshit. Explanations for how things work are vital to making a coherent story. In the case of Superman, there isn't really a good explanation for how his physiology works, so it's better to spend time on other things instead of futilely trying to do the impossible, but that doesn't mean that if there was a reasonable explanation, it should be ignored or rejected, and more mundane things like the Batmobile's tires are easily explained (he has Alfred do it, or he does it himself, or he has a computer do it). "It's a story" isn't a reason to not do it.

I don't know what's to complain about, as they grow older people tend to disassociate from children's fantasy metaphors (as it being all they seek). As our knowledge of the real world grows, we start relating to different themes, and start asking different questions. Details start mattering more and more, because details start mattering more and more in our own life.

Plausibility becomes one of the main ingredients. Essentially Grant Morrison is wrong, because adults don't look at fantasy elements and think they are ridiculous. That's more than proven in the countless movies that deal with those elements, and how big they are. It does become a constant though, to ask why Davy Jones looks like a squid and how can he live without a heart.

If it's so hard to explain why Superman can fly, and why he can shoot laser beams out of his eyes just because the Sun is different, then it's just a poorly constructed character in terms of his abilities.

So fuck Grant Morrison. Go write Sunday morning cartoons if you prefer.

Toa TAK

Banned
This is complete bullshit. Explanations for how things work are vital to making a coherent story. In the case of Superman, there isn't really a good explanation for how his physiology works, so it's better to spend time on other things instead of futilely trying to do the impossible, but that doesn't mean that if there was a reasonable explanation, it should be ignored or rejected, and more mundane things like the Batmobile's tires are easily explained (he has Alfred do it, or he does it himself, or he has a computer do it). "It's a story" isn't a reason to not do it.

You know what he means. When people start nitpicking the crap out of a film (or anything) instead of focusing on the big picture.

Veelk

Banned
You know what he means. When people start nitpicking the crap out of a film (or anything) instead of focusing on the big picture.
I believe that's encapsulated in "it's a story" and all the tensions therein.

I agree with that, but that is not what Morrison does. I'll go into this more when I reread All Star and write a review on it, but Morrison likes to throw the most absurd shit at the reader and just expects them to go with it without any kind of explanation. I really hate that kind of storytelling. You can write a decent explanation of who pumps Batman's tires, but he apparently considers that as inexplicable as Superman's flight.

Top Bottom