• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

JB1981

Loki in Thor was actually fantastic. Very raw and strong performance by Tom in certain scenes, then in Avengers he became a kind of 80's cliche. It was fun, but severely limited and he was only really there to the brunt of the joke. I have no doubt in Thor 2 the character is going to be like a deviantart monstrosity come to life due to the insane fan girl following.

I think they nailed Loki but Thor was kind of a jabroni

Comparing him to fucking Doctor Doom. You take things to absurd levels of bs.

I know you don't like me, and I know you like MOS but... it's really not that absurd. It's fair to say one might be better than the other, but from what I remember I don't see how Zod is much better. He has cooler powers... sure.

What do you remember of Doctor Doom?

Raptor

I know you don't like me, and I know you like MOS but... it's really not that absurd. It's fair to say one might be better than the other, but from what I remember I don't see how Zod is much better. He has cooler powers... sure.

Not only Dr Doom but the entirety of FF was pure raw garbage.

Zod was a great villian, with motives and Personality.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I WILL FIND HIM

I WILL FIND HIM

*other dialogue not found*

Cheese is cheese. I love Spider-man 2, still think that line is corny as shit though.

He was definitely better in Thor.

Yup. He got slapped around by everyone in The Avengers, even Hawkeye. Hated how the "tricky god" was outsmarted by the fucking Black Widow.

Cheese is cheese. I love Spider-man 2, still think that line is corny as shit though.

I agree, loved Spider-Man 2 and its cheese. He's still one of the top-tier villains and a league above Zod.

Pimpwerx

I watched Man of Steel over the weekend. I'm an action film junky, and I love mindless action and carnage. Yet, both my friend and I left MoS feeling unfulfilled. I don't know what it is either. This was similar to the original Superman, with Zod. We got more backstory, more action and about the same amount of character development. Yet, I never felt any attachment to this character like I did Reeves' Superman and Kent.

Oh well, it looked tits. I give it credit for that. I like Zack Snyder flix (even Sucker Punch), but this was probably his worst as far as overall impact IMO.

Of the 3 movies I've seen this summer, Ironman3, Man of Steel and This Is The End, This is the end is the best one so far. PEACE.

Not only Dr Doom but the entirety of FF was pure raw garbage.

Zod was a great villian, with motives and Personality.

FF was an horrible movie, just horrible. But the concept of Doom wasn't that bad, he begins as a man of wealth and power who covets, but hides behind his cunning smile. He's someone who fears for himself when he sees what's happening to his body. And then he finds he has true power, and lets go of the mask he wears even though ironically he dons a steel mask or whatever which he does so to hide his looks because of his vanity.

It's not a particularly interesting villain, and it was just a dreadful movie but I can't say his character is a worse character than Zod.

I don't mind people disagreeing with that one, however putting Zod next to likes of Doc Oc and Loki and Joker and Ras, I mean... no man, just no.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

I never said I didn't like you. I find some of your posts to reach hyperbole and it was odd with all your posts about MOS and you hadn't even seen the movie.

For example, I don't hate/dislike KalBalboa even though we butt heads cause of Returns. He might think I dislike, but I honestly don't have time to hate on people, doesn't mean I can't disagree with them or get into arguments. I just don't share the same opinions as you and don't like being told how I should really feel or it's a bad movie cause "everybody?" or "you" say so.

I remember a shitty ass actor from FX channel playing him, this budget tv look and a god awful movie. That's all I need to remember.
dr-doom-fantastic-four-movie-570.jpg

Log4Girlz

I love my villains to be morally grey rather than straight black. That's why I love Ock and Rhas Al Ghul so much. They have conviction in their actions and believe that they are doing the right thing.

I loved Luthor in Red Son (well, he's an outright hero in that one), he can very easily be made to be a great adversary to Superman. Not an outright villain per se.

Solo

Exactly, that puts them a step above and the actors sold it.

Yep. I actually think both actors (Neeson in particular, as his role was underwritten compared to Molina's) ELEVATED their characters well above what was on paper. Which is of course the mark of a great actor. Neeson is preaching mass murder and yet you feel for the character's plight and buy into why he is doing what he is doing.

Raptor

I love my villains to be morally grey rather than straight black. That's why I love Ock and Rhas Al Ghul so much. They have conviction in their actions and believe that they are doing the right thing.

Zod believes he is doing the right thing since that's how he was created.

He believe it so hard that he will wipe out the entire planet to do so.

:)

Solo

Zod was a character of that mould....in theory. I don't think his character's execution was anywheres close to Neeson or Molina's though. They had good intentions but he never became a three dimensional character, at least not to me.

Yep. I actually think both actors (Neeson in particular, as his role was underwritten compared to Molina's) ELEVATED their characters well above what was on paper. Which is of course the mark of a great actor. Neeson is preaching mass murder and yet you feel for the character's plight and buy into why he is doing what he is doing.

They tried that villain approach in ASM, but failed miserably.

Raptor

Zod was a character of that mould....in theory. I don't think his character's execution was anywheres close to Neeson or Molina's though. They had good intentions but he never became a three dimensional character, at least not to me.

I blame the editing.

:p

That Zod is aware of the conceit of his own motivation and follows through with it doesn't mean he thinks it's right. He just thinks 'This is what I was created to do' and rolls with it - which I guess how Goyer must have felt when he was hired for the job; unquestioning, unthinking, just write the shit and get your paycheque because that is all your job entails.

Raptor

Day Lewis for Luthor could be amazing, he could be in character for 3 years buying real state from New Zeland and sinking Australia for real just to get a feel of it.

That Zod is aware of the conceit of his own motivation and follows through with it doesn't mean he thinks it's right. He just thinks 'This is what I was created to do' and rolls with it - which I guess how Goyer must have felt when he was hired for the job; unquestioning, unthinking, just write the shit and get your paycheque because that is all your job entails.

That's a little unfair, innit? Dude obviously gives a shit. It's cold to insinuate that because he didn't execute correctly that he just never even tried.

Goyer's got problems as a writer. Every writer does. Some more than others. But I don't think he's a hack at all.

That's a little unfair, innit? Dude obviously gives a shit. It's cold to insinuate that because he didn't execute correctly that he just never even tried.

Goyer's got problems as a writer. Every writer does. Some more than others. But I don't think he's a hack at all.
Yeah, I know he cares. I guess I'm just so angry with how lazy the script feels.

Day Lewis for Luthor could be amazing, he could be in character for 3 years buying real state from New Zeland and sinking Australia for real just to get a feel of it.

Day Lewis and Viggo turned down ra's al ghul

I doubt they'll accept to be in man of steel 2

Solo

Yeah, I know he cares. I guess I'm just so angry with how lazy the script feels.

I believe there's a writer in all of us that keeps us loaded, rich as fuck and finally allows us to shill with pride. Even though sometimes we have to be hacks and give up the things we want the most. Even our credibility.

Doc Ock, Joker and Magneto/gandalf are the best comic book movie villains

I also really like Dafoe as Osborne, he was mad campy. And Liam Neeson wasn't bad either

KalBalboa

Banned
What would make him top tier?

For me it's a product of the average quality of comic book film villains combined with Shannon's performance and his decent material. I can't list many great super hero film villains that really excel outside of Joker and Magneto, which I'd consider the two A-classers. Ra's, Bane, Doc Oc, and Zod would probably fill out the rest of what I'd consider "above average" along with David Banner, Striker in X-Men 2, and Sebastian Shawn.

Most memorable villains are passable for either being fun or neat looking, like Rockwell in Iron Man 2 or Devitto in Batman Returns. Zod had decent motivation, a strong performance (in my opinion), some neat tactics, a cool look, and presented a real challenge for Superman. I'm also one of those who really liked Shannon's deliveries. He arguably changed Superman forever during the finale.

It's hard to explain without devolving into lists, but think about the kind of bad guys/girls we've seen in comic book films. I never once thought Loki was a genuine threat in Avengers and thought he only served as a plot device to establish a common enemy for the team, but he's in the same class for me as a character like Scarecrow: they were simply fun. Scarecrow got bonus points for his amazing returns in the rest of Nolan's trilogy, though.

Buntabox

For me it's a product of the average quality of comic book film villains combined with Shannon's performance and his decent material. I can't list many great super hero film villains that really excel outside of Joker and Magneto, which I'd consider the two A-classers. Ra's, Bane, Doc Oc, and Zod would probably fill out the rest of what I'd consider "above average" along with David Banner, Striker in X-Men 2, and Sebastian Shawn.

The moment he walked on screen and talked, my immediate reaction was: "oh.... oh no. no. no."

He pretty much just chewed scenery and seemed to have no idea what emotion to convey at any given time. He is just sort of loud. His one dimensional motivation of "he does because he is" probably doesn't help the actor much. Shannon is a great actor. I think the script/direction failed him.

Village

That movies has a horrible plot hole at the beginning , the story pacing was too fast, it barley establishes anything so Supes freaking out at the end seems weird. Sexual tension out of frigging left field, Pa kent advertising letting people die, even though that isnt even what he is about. Also for some reason Lois comes off a bit.. douchy.

Next can I get to the writing, these people are great actors but.. come on. Like tiny script screw ups kinda of ruin scenes for me

" we had a child, a boy child"

What? Just say a male, on paper this sounds reasonable in action it sounded like the actor was making fun of the whole absurd situation that is superman.

Actions scenes ( most of them ) are dope, Every time I see supes with DBZ fighting I see how much Akira just strait up lifted this. Its like

" and then a japanese man took this and made dragon ball z" But a completely other conversation.

But the fighting was cool.This movie was eh, but it made a hell of a lot of money so I am assuming planning for more movies and maybe connected ones started the day after those figures came in.

Anyways that is my shtick

Alfred Molina made Spider-Man 2.

Aside from another terrific JJ portrayal from JK Alfred is the only reason to like Spider 2. I absolutely hated Tobey as Petey and Dunst as Mary Jane.

But just like TDK a beyond terrible performance from the lead can be made up for with not only a well written villain, but a well acted one.

The performances of Heath and Molina in their respective roles make those two movies some of my favorite in the superhero genre. But fortunately for MoS I love Cavill as Clarkerman, and can't wait to see him become Superman in the sequel.

That's one thing I have to give to Singers X-Men. Talk about perfect fucking casting... in three roles at least.

Two in particular. Stewart and McKellan. Jackman was a terrific choice in retrospect. If only because of his dedication to the character that made him relevant.

Kind of pissed me off in TDK how easily the Joker got Bruce to want to hang up the cape n cowl.
That actually made me like the movie more. This Bat can be beaten.... muwhahahahhahahahaha!

Matrix

That's one thing I have to give to Singers X-Men. Talk about perfect fucking casting... in three roles at least.

Two in particular. Stewart and McKellan. Jackman was a terrific choice in retrospect. If only because of his dedication to the character that made him relevant.

Then he throws a Berry as Storm at you and you weep just a little bit.

He isn't willing to kill an entire species to save his own because he has too though. His hand isn't forced, he doesn't do it because it's the only way. He does so simply because he finds our own inferior, and is willing to kill us all because we aren't worth the trouble.
Fact is, he didn't even need the world engine. Their bodies adapt pretty well to our atmosphere, which is a pretty huge bonus to the kind of powers they gain by being on earth in the first place.

He was willing to wipe out a species not out of need, but because he didn't give shit. In Batman Begins, Ras is willing to go to extreme measures because he believes it's time for extreme measures.
He even says they tried with economics before. At the end of the day Bat and Ras are two individuals striving for a similar goal but reaching different conclusions about how to achieve it.

Striker in X-Men 2

You can stop right there. Striker although not a great villain, is an interesting character. What he did to his own son shouldn't go unnoticed.

Raptor

He isn't willing to kill an entire species to save his own because he has too though. His hand isn't forced, he doesn't do it because it's the only way. He does so simply because he finds our own inferior, and is willing to kill us all because we aren't worth the trouble.
Fact is, he didn't even need the world engine. Their bodies adapt pretty well to our atmosphere, which is a pretty huge bonus to the kind of powers they gain by being on earth in the first place.

He was willing to wipe out a species not out of need, but because he didn't give shit. In Batman Begins, Ras is willing to go to extreme measures because he believes it's time for extreme measures.
He even says they tried with economics before. At the end of the day Bat and Ras are two individuals striving for a similar goal but reaching different conclusions about how to achieve it.

Well there you go, not as one dmensional after all is it?

Top Bottom