• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

JB1981

I actually don't think Bosworth is half as bad as people make her out to be. Maybe she's just an easy target because she did that surfing movie

Returns is obviously going to draw the ire of the ADD generation that MoS caters for.

Where Returns is ponderous and wears its heart on its sleeve, Man of Steel is about yelling and explosions and BDSHMSZZZZKKKTTTT!!!!!KAPOW!!!VFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!!!!111

In the ending scene where we get the military jeep driving down the road, I actually remember thinking 'Thank fuck my ears can get a rest now that all the explosions have --' *KACHOW!!!!11* The satellite explodes out of nowhere in front of the jeep.

Now, notice that I'm not saying that anybody who liked MoS has ADD or a short attention span. I'm just saying that it is obviously who it was targeted at. WB really took those fan jabs at Returns to heart and went in the complete opposite direction.

She came off as petulant instead of empowered. There were also rumors at the time that she only got the job due to Spacey going to bat for her, not because she actually impressed anyone.

She's... okay. Not good. Not bad. She's just kind of there. The only time she seemed convincing as a character was when she looked annoyed at not being able to light her cigarette.

edit: Aside from the fact "The ADD Generation" is a meaningless term, you're like, mid-twenties right? You ARE the ADD Generation if we're going to take that at face value.

I think Returns got shit on the action side of things because the emotional side didn't carry the weight they thought it would. If the characters had been on point, and the drama of the story had actually hit the way they wanted it to, I think the action sequences would have been a minor quibble at best. But because the movie grew more disappointing with time and hindsight, the lack of action became something for people to seize on as more evidence to throw on the desk.

Log4Girlz

Returns is obviously going to draw the ire of the ADD generation that MoS caters for.

Where Returns is ponderous and wears its heart on its sleeve, Man of Steel is about yelling and explosions and BDSHMSZZZZKKKTTTT!!!!!KAPOW!!!VFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!!!!111

In the ending scene where we get the military jeep driving down the road, I actually remember thinking 'Thank fuck my ears can get a rest now that all the explosions have --' *KACHOW!!!!11* The satellite explodes out of nowhere in front of the jeep.

Now, notice that I'm not saying that anybody who liked MoS has ADD or a short attention span. I'm just saying that it is obviously who it was targeted at. WB really took those fan jabs at Returns to heart and went in the complete opposite direction.

I think Returns is a wonderful movie to play in the background as you try to fall asleep. It takes about 10 minutes to get me into dreamland.

Toa TAK

Banned

Do you think the next one will mellow down a bit?

Raptor

Drone Jet.

I think Returns is a wonderful movie to play in the background as you try to fall asleep. It takes about 10 minutes to get me into dreamland.

I wonder what you'd think of a movie like Stalker.

That movie has a long intro scene of us staring into a bar with complete silence. It was done on purpose to give the audience who walked into the wrong movie time to leave. Challenging the audience.

JB1981

The really godawful territory acting in SR was the kid. Thankfully he hardly gets any lines (because if he had, the movie would have been received even worse).

Man didn't see that either. I kind of likes the scene where he crushes the baddie with piano

I don't know. At this point I'm not really concerned because I don't care about the characters in this rebooted universe.
And to a degree I think they're the most realistic depictions of both Lois and Clark in any form the Superman mythos have taken.

Meh, I can't work it out. Wanna get a drink after GAF? I discovered a tasty little honey bourbon that just won't let go of this monkey.

Returns

+ visually amazing
+ plane action sequence
- the son of superman
- visually 70s 80s look not modern
- kate bosworth
- no action against a supervillian
- too melodramatic
- felt like a goodbye rather than a return

Man of Steel

+ visually amazing
+ smallville battle
+ scale of last battle
+ lots of action
+ superman had a comparably powerful villian
+ better buildup to next movie
- very pacey story
- less emotional than returns

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Hey Sculli what do you think of rye bread for sandwiches?

I think it's a little dry and limits the choice of meat you can use in your sandwich.

lol

Raptor

Returns

+ visually amazing
+ plane action sequence
- the son of superman
- kate bosworth
- too melodramatic

Man of Steel

+ visually amazing
+ smallville battle
+ scale of last battle
+ lots of action
- very pacey story

Less emotional than Returns?

Toa TAK

Banned
And to a degree I think they're the most realistic depictions of both Lois and Clark in any form the Superman mythos have taken.

Meh, I can't work it out. Wanna get a drink after GAF? I discovered a tasty little honey bourbon that just won't let go of this monkey.

I wanna come. But I'm not 21 yet. =(

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I actually don't think Bosworth is half as bad as people make her out to be. Maybe she's just an easy target because she did that surfing movie

Nah she's just really the worst Lois to ever grace film/tv/animation. It's most likely made worse cause she's supposed to be the Kidder Lois and doesn't even come across as that.

Blader

Returns isn't emotional, it's just dull. The problem with that the movie isn't that it sacrificed action for drama, it's that the drama sucks.

And shitty melodrama for two and a half hours really sucks.

No surprise at sculli's and solosview of the movie, most users knew how they would view it a month before release. But good for them in contributing to the movies.

I wanna come. But I'm not 21 yet. =(
Cool.

We'll need a driver anyway. Logz plans on meeting up with us but I can't get ahold of Solo or G-Fex.

*picks up imaginary phone*

Nope, no answer.

Technically there's no Logz or Sculli either. So it's just you and a drunk me. I'll need my diaper changed every hour according to Cyan's new house rules. Can drink all I want but that diaper must be changed. And fuck if I'm gonna do it.

MYE

Returns

+ visually amazing
+ plane action sequence
- the son of superman
- kate bosworth
- too melodramatic

Man of Steel

+ visually amazing
+ smallville battle
+ scale of last battle
+ lots of action
- very pacey story

And how is that a bad thing?
Did IHOP product placement and Superman roaming the world with Pearl Jam montage really add anything to the movie?

And Returns feeling like a "goodbye movie" in retrospect works wonders since...well, that more colorful rendition of the character and the world is basically dead in the movie space.

Less emotional than Returns?

My opinion, there were more emotional scenes done by singer than snyder. Thats a fact even though mos is infinintely better. Maybe the emotion is not worthy but its def there more in returns, Mos is basically trying to quickly get to the smallville battle to supes in the suit.

Log4Girlz

Technically there's no Logz or Sculli either. So it's just you and a drunk me. I'll need my diaper changed every hour according to Cyan's new house rules. Can drink all I want but that diaper must be changed. And fuck if I'm gonna do it.

Oh, shucks. I was hoping you had gotten ahold of me.

Did IHOP product placement and Superman roaming the world with Pearl Jam montage really add anything to the movie?

And Returns feeling like a "goodbye movie" in retrospect works wonders since...well, that more colorful rendition of the character and the world is basically dead in the movie space.
Honestly the look of Returns is far down on the list of reasons to dislike the movie.

Oh, shucks. I was hoping you had gotten ahold of me.
Like they let monkey's get cell plans.

I can understand being after superman 2 but he even kept the look the 70s rather than updating it to a more modern look

Toa TAK

Banned
Still the undisputed king of comic book movies!

Cheesy? Sappy? Fuck yeah it is, and proud of it!
I love it so much <3

The best.

Cool.

We'll need a driver anyway. Logz plans on meeting up with us but I can't get ahold of Solo or G-Fex.

*picks up imaginary phone*

Nope, no answer.

Actually I have math homework. kthxbi

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm calling Peta.

image.php

Like most of them!

*prods Sculli*

Most of Returns does indeed feel like a diluted version of Donner's first film. And yet it's magnitudes more enjoyable than Man of Steel.

I really would have liked to have seen Singer's Man of Steel - where he said he was going to have Superman let loose after having his son killed.

Most of Returns does indeed feel like a diluted version of Donner's first film. And yet it's magnitudes more enjoyable than Man of Steel.

I really would have liked to have seen Singer's Man of Steel - where he said he was going to have Superman let loose after having his son killed.

I fear for the budget of singers man of steel if all
That lifting and plane sequence and intro cost 230 million. MoS 7 years later cost 220 million

MYE

I can understand being after superman 2 but he even kept the look the 70s rather than updating it to a more modern look

I'm one of those people who wants ficticional cities like Gotham or Metropolis to retain that slightly exagerated architecture instead of looking like New York or any other generic looking city.
Batman Begins' Gotham actually felt slightly "gothic/dark" with the slums area. Then it went full on generic, modern steel/glass city in TDK and TDKR. I hated that.

You have a dude in a batsuit and another one flying around in a red cape. Add some flavour to the world they live in that actually suits their look.

cackhyena

What are you doing? What are you doing.

Of course Man of Steel was less emotional than Returns.

A lot of it had to do with giving characters space to breathe, rather than rushing through everything.

Even this small exchange in Returns is more emotional than anything in MoS.

From the score, to the performances to the way Singer lets the scene breathe. And it's not even an important scene in the film.

I don't like the movie, but it's probably the most beautiful super hero movie out there. Can't think of a better looking one.

I fear for the budget of singers man of steel if all
That lifting and plane sequence and intro cost 230 million. MoS 7 years later cost 220 million

The movie only cost 150 million. 60 million alone were paid to Burtton and Nicholas Cage after that project failed, because... they had dat clause.

The Returns you saw had a far smaller budget than MOS.

MisterHero

I'm one of those people who wants ficticional cities like Gotham or Metropolis to retain that slightly exagerated architecture instead of looking like New York or any other generic looking city.
Batman Begins' Gotham actually felt slightly "gothic/dark" with the slums area. Then it went full on generic, modern steel/glass city in TDK and TDKR. I hated that.

You have a dude in a batsuit and another one flying around in a red cape. Add some flavour to the world they live in that actually suits their look.
Yeah. These are fantasy movies at their core, so it wouldn't hurt to throw some art direction towards these main cities. Hopefully we can have a new skyline after what happened to Metropolis in MoS.

Superman's Metropolis is based on the movie of the same name; as well as Toronto, Canada. Returns took advantage of this, especially with the miniature city scene.

You're a class act Sculli.

I will never understand those that dislike you.

I mean, it is just me, but I really disliked Superman Returns. Both SR and MoS inverted my biggest issues with one another. SR was way too slow. Plodding even. For a movie that stars a character "Faster than a speeding bullet." That movie took too much time on every scene and exchange. Even those that would have been better suited for quicker edits, or camera work.

It's obvious that Singer loved those Donner films. But it became something that went full on into fanwank. He wanted it to be a Donner film so much that otherwise great actors were stifled. Forced to interpret another vision for the character. And really failing because they aren't those people. They aren't Chris, Gene, or Margot.

I give it props where due. But it tried so hard to be something it couldn't that it failed almost instantly at being what was intended. That's a strange sentence. I love Singer. Given his budget for X-Men being slashed at literally the last minute I'm still shocked at how good it is.

Singer does great work. Apt Pupil is one of the most warped movies I've ever personally watched. Scenes are still etched into my brain and I only watched it once.

He can do incredible work. But I really don't find SR to be anything close to his par. It was a love note to a bygone era. Beautiful in it's own right, but trapped by conventions. And a general misuse of its source material in the modern era.

I mean... yes I have been getting hyperbolic. I don't outright hate Superman Returns. I mean I've watched it literally dozens of times so I can't hate it. But I've also seen Wolverine Origins around that many times. So my bar is kind of low at the outset on what I consider entertaining enough to watch and re-watch.

Funny enough I haven't seen Daredevil or Elektra more than once to know they are just all around terrible. Even with Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP) as Kingpin.

Never liked Ghost Rider enough to put up with BirdHairMan.

Top Bottom