• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Well there you go, not as one dmensional after all is it?

:)

What I said is exactly what makes him one dimensional and a cardboard villain. It's like he was going to do the villainous thing just because he's a villain.

Yeah, like I said- he's definitely above average for a few reasons. He's interesting.

When I saw him next to Sebastian Shaw my mind just told me you were trying to say he was a crappy villain lolol

Man I thought Shaw sucked. Simply because he felt so derivative in the X Men universe at least. Hell I don't even think Striker made for a particularly good villain, but I liked aspects of his character and Cox knows how to chew it.

Then he throws a Berry as Storm at you and you weep just a little bit.

Made me weep quite a bit actually. And Marsden. Famke was great, and I don't really have an issue with Mane, Romijn, or Parks performances. Paquin was pretty good for what she was given.

I'm just singling out the two best casting choices they made. Stewart was the geek dream since the early 90's, McKellan is the kind of guy to put 1000% in any role he's given and even more-so when he really likes them.

But then you have the Marsdens and Berry's. The Ashmores.

People up against some truly great actors.

KalBalboa

Banned
The moment he walked on screen and talked, my immediate reaction was: "oh.... oh no. no. no."

He pretty much just chewed scenery and seemed to have no idea what emotion to convey at any given time. He is just sort of loud. His one dimensional motivation of "he does because he is" probably doesn't help the actor much. Shannon is a great actor. I think the script/direction failed him.

For me he seemed like a patriot with zero humility, hence his presence and demeanor. He was basically driven mad early on in the film when the council was denouncing him- the leaders of the culture he wanted so very badly to protect and defend.

My friend actually made a funny observation after we saw Man of Steel at an advanced screening about a moment with Zod... when he begins to raise his voice under his helmet
at Martha
and begins to sound like another muffled DC movie villain with questionable audible chops... only to be immediately punched repeatedly in the face over and over again
until his mask breaks
. It was kind of funny to notice that and chuckle.

Man I thought Shaw sucked. Simply because he felt so derivative in the X Men universe at least. Hell I don't even think Striker made for a particularly good villain, but I liked aspects of his character and Cox knows how to chew it.

The problem is that 90% of comic book movie villains really are just that bad to the point where I think Shaw & Striker are still arguably in the upper half. Both are fine and have their moments, but neither are genre defining or anything.

I didn't much like Mardsen as Cyclops but only because of who they cast as Jean Grey. Looked like some weird Teacher student relationship.
I never really believed he was interested in Famke.

Though that scene in X2 when Jean is talking through Xavier I keep feeling the inclination to scream "KISS HIM!" At the screen because of the looks on Mardsens face at Stewart.

The dynamic wouldn't have seemed weird with a better someone other than James. That dude is a looker, but good God is his acting stilted.

And this is the same dude hailing Avatar's snooze fest, joke of an OST. Yeah.

Regardless Sculli was dead-set against the movie from the first teaser, so expectedatonne.

Why you always gotta make up shit? Does my not liking a film mean that much to you? Does it dampen your own feelings on it? I was one of the few that was excited when Snyder was announced as director. I didn't think the first trailer was all that flash, then I loved the second theatrical trailer.

Raptor

Though that scene in X2 when Jean is talking through Xavier I keep feeling the inclination to scream "KISS HIM!" At the screen because of the looks on Mardsens face at Stewart.

The dynamic wouldn't have seemed weird with a better someone other than James. That dude is a looker, but good God is his acting stilted.

That scene is fucking weird man, felt unconfortable watching it, and the face of Stewart after it like if he was having an orgasm, totally ruined it for me.

strafer

These last few pages has been pissing me off. You are all acting like Sculli is this big movie messiah or some shit. He didn't like the movie, so the fuck what. It's his own opinion.

KalBalboa

Banned
These last few pages has been pissing me off. You are all acting like Sculli is this big movie messiah or some shit. He didn't like the movie, so the fuck what. It's his own opinion.

Common enemies, man. People love to single someone out. He's definitely getting bullied a bit.

G-Fex

Solo and Sculli and me will never ever see eye to eye.

But I like their opinions. Though mine means nothing to either one of them.

well now that batman is over and DC is giving the keys over to david goyer I can't believe I'm saying this....but marvel sounds a lot more promising now

what with edgar wright, shane black and james gunn being given a lot of creative freedom. hell they'll probably one day end up getting andrew stanton or brad bird filming a comic book movie too even though superman needs them more.

thor 2 and captain america 2 gonna be booty though, skipping that shit.

well now that batman is over and DC is giving the keys over to david goyer I can't believe I'm saying this....but marvel sounds a lot more promising now

what with edgar wright, shane black and james gunn being given a lot of creative freedom. hell they'll probably one day end up getting andrew stanton or brad bird filming a comic book movie too even though superman needs them more.

thor 2 and captain america 2 gonna be booty though, skipping that shit.

Singer will save us. He must. He must....

The movie was made for trailers. We were tricked.

Unfortunately it seems to be a trend with Snyder.

Honestly, although I understand the uproar over cyclops death, I always thought Jean made more sense with Wolverine at least in the movie. And that's really because the actor for cyclops sucked, and his character didn't play a big enough role.

yeah all my chips are in edgar wright and bryan singer to make the genre fun again.

Iron Man 3 was fun too. A bit messy but I laughed, and I loved the middle act.

I'll take shots at Sculli. I'll take shots at G-Fex, Solo, anyone that voices an opinion I disagree with. And I hope they are adult enough to shoot back with awesome.

I'll even take shots with them if they are so inclined.

And even when the shooting is taking place we still find ourselves on the same side with a lot of movies. I think Avatar is great. A few really simplistic themes permeate, but everything from direction to acting, camera work, plotting creates a believable world, people, but occasionally simplistic and moralizing motives.

I can't speak on Bond since I haven't liked one since Dalton. I love quite a few Singer flicks, but are at odds with Sculli on Superman Returns. I think G-Fex is batshit for his insistence that 90's Batman is a better flick than most of Singers superhero work.

Listen just because I'm drunk doesn't mean you can act like I'm just picking on to picking on. These guys are warriors. Bred in the pits of the GAFs to take hits and give 'em.

The only reason there's piling on is because everyone knows they are said interpitswarriors. And at least in my case it's never mean-spirited.

Also this movie is a lot better than Superman Returns. Like a lot. And it's not even that good so that's saying something about how shitty Superman Returns is.

.GqueB.

Banned
I'll take shots at Sculli. I'll take shots at G-Fex, Solo, anyone that voices an opinion I disagree with. And I hope they are adult enough to shoot back with awesome.

I'll even take shots with them if they are so inclined.

And even when the shooting is taking place we still find ourselves on the same side with a lot of movies. I think Avatar is great. A few really simplistic themes permeate, but everything from direction to acting, camera work, plotting creates a believable world, people, but occasionally simplistic and moralizing motives.

I can't speak on Bond since I haven't liked one since Dalton. I love quite a few Singer flicks, but are at odds with Sculli on Superman Returns. I think G-Fex is batshit for his insistence that 90's Batman is a better flick than most of Singers superhero work.

Listen just because I'm drunk doesn't mean you can act like I'm just picking on to picking on. These guys are warriors. Bred in the pits of the GAFs to take hits and give 'em.

The only reason there's piling on is because everyone knows they are said interpitswarriors. And at least in my case it's never mean-spirited.

Also this movie is a lot better than Superman Returns. Like a lot. And it's not even that good so that's saying something about how shitty Superman Returns is.

People need to give Superman Returns a fair(er) shake. Along with IronMan2 and Juno.

Hey Sculli what do you think of rye bread for sandwiches?

UGH! GAWD!

NO!

Cool!

Hey Sculli, what do you think of these basketball shoes?

Edn4Ppv.jpg

I like the look, but I'm worried about the ankle support and it's not the lightest of Nike's line.

This was the last place on the internet where I was still using my old nickname, so when GAF changed themes, I was up and there were admins aplenty, so I asked, and Stump was like "Sure."

Personally I think the second one was overkill.

Subtlety is lost on messageboards. If I have to err, I err on the side of "THUDDINGLY OBVIOUS." :)

People need to give Superman Returns a fair(er) shake. Along with IronMan2 and Juno.
I have seen Superman Returns many times more than Wolverine Origins so I can safely say it's crap.

Terribad plot, unbelievably slow pacing (MoS is in overdrive in that regard), crappy acting out of everyone from those expected (Mardsen) and those not. (Spacey)

It's beautifully shot though. But you know you messed up when the scene with the most staying power is a plane catch. And then everything after it happens at molasses pace. And everything that happens makes no sense. None of the actors are believable in their roles.

I've seen it dozens of times (because I'm a superhero junkie) and I don't think I liked it any of the times I watched it. It was just there.

Log4Girlz

Superman Returns didn't do anything well. I even take issue with the plane catch. Was it supposed to be a Superhero movie? His nemesis was a fucking rock.

Raptor

Superman Returns didn't do anything well. I even take issue with the plane catch. Was it supposed to be a Superhero movie? His nemesis was a fucking rock.

Even Chris Redfield showed more badassery punching a rock, Singer Supes couldn't even do that, god damn.

Marsden was not bad at all in SR. Actually he's arguably the most heroic character in the entire movie
I don't disagree with that stance.

His acting is still awful. Like "Holy crap how does this guy keep getting work?!" caliber.

In the end his character was my favorite in the flick. He wasn't crazy calm stalker, or just fickle. That movie managed to make both Superman and Lois look like terrible people.

Marsden was not bad at all in SR. Actually he's arguably the most heroic character in the entire movie

As the criticisms started to mount during that Summer, one of the narratives that came to the fore was that Marsden was more "Superman-like" than Superman.

Marsden is a solid actor, though. And here's a strange suggestion: Watch him in "Sex Drive."

He disappears into that character. And he's fucking hilarious, on top of that.

Top Bottom