• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

MYE

The problem of Man of Steel is that it tricked the shit out of me with the trailers.
Every scene that looked to have genuine emotion in the trailer almost always completely fell flat in the movie. Everything was rushed and felt like a string of clips that always ended before it even reached any kind of emotion it was aspiring to convey.

MILF Kent -"Hear my voice. Pretend its an island"

Me- "Oh man they are gonna fucking nail the mommy Kent teaching little Clark how to deal with his issues thing!!! Those emotions"

Costner Kent - "You ARE MY SON"... butterflies caught on chains...

Oh yeah!!

Then in the movie...that was pretty much all there was to it before it abruptly charged on to the next rushed scene.
It was more than two hours long and there wasnt a single moment where Snyder let a quiet moment play out. It was edited like a music video.

Toa TAK

Banned
Warner did a great job with those trailers with some of us thinking it was going to be a bit deeper in terms of the characters and their emotional struggles.

Loofy

I really liked it, though I liked returns too.
Ultimately the main problem with the movie is that its based on a really lame character with a corny origin story(alien raised by farmers). It really cant get better than this imo.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Of course Man of Steel was less emotional than Returns.

A lot of it had to do with giving characters space to breathe, rather than rushing through everything.

Even this small exchange in Returns is more emotional than anything in MoS.

From the score, to the performances to the way Singer lets the scene breathe. And it's not even an important scene in the film.

Agreed 100%. I wish MoS had a few scenes like that, with that kind of emotion and meaning in them. It sorely needed it.

Toa TAK

Banned
They also did a great job of overplaying the whole Superman surrender, and the interrogation room.

The little bit sold me. Hell, all of trailer 2 was what really got me hooked. Everything else beforehand I was like"Yeah I'll see it... eventually, I guess." to all related news.

What else would you expect? Kryptonite holding chamber? Of course it would be pointless.

Well I wasn't exactly expecting it to be a sequence in the movie where they are trying to imprison Superman no...

I was just expecting something a bit more clever, more engaging. More fun.

MYE

Of course Man of Steel was less emotional than Returns.

A lot of it had to do with giving characters space to breathe, rather than rushing through everything.

Even this small exchange in Returns is more emotional than anything in MoS.

From the score, to the performances to the way Singer lets the scene breathe. And it's not even an important scene in the film.

stanley2.gif

dat score!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Thanks Sculli for turning this into a Superman Returns OT. Can't wait for Avatar 2 to hit, gonna be fun in your threads :)

We'll all be dead by the time that happens, bro.

I still remember when Avatar was apparently never gonna happen. All good things come to those who wait a decade between films!

And this time we're getting two! So it's not all bad.

Also, the mods locked the Avatar thread for some reason.

MYE

The melody of Zimmer's theme for this movie was surprisingly good. And effective.
I was angry when I heard BRURRR BOOM BOOM Zimmer was the composer but the quieter parts of the main theme are actually pretty awesome.

Then he goes all drums and horns up the ass, but that was expected.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm still trying to figure out what emotions superman returns was trying to convey. I mean I guess boredom and anger are emotions...

Toa TAK

Banned
The melody of Zimmer's theme for this movie was surprisingly good. And effective.
I was angry when I heard BRURRR BOOM BOOM Zimmer was the composer but the quieter parts of the main theme are actually pretty awesome.

Then he goes all drums and horns up the ass, but that was expected.

Yup. It's why I love Zimmer. I love drums and horns. But not necessarily up the ass.

my god.... you really have bought into your own propaganda haven't you?

I was actually just referencing the scene in Batman Begins where Bruce has to flick the fire into the deluded League of Shadows members' temple fireworks stash, but yeah sure why not. I mean, artist tells me I'm movie jesus or some shit, so it must be true. I post for your sins.

I was actually just referencing the scene in Batman Begins where Bruce has to flick the fire into the deluded League of Shadows members' temple fireworks stash, but yeah sure why not. I mean, artist tells me I'm movie jesus or some shit, so it must be true. I post for your sins.

you can still save yourself sculli, denounce returns and come back to us.

ZoddGutts

Neither MoS or Returns are good films. The Donner films are still GOAT for a Superman film. I don't expect MoS 2 to improve with the same creative team working on the film. Hope to god they don't work on the Justice League film especially if it's going to be dark and brooding in order to try to be "modern" with JL.

witness

The track If You Love These People... is doing it for me in fucking spades. I've listened to this probably over 40 times today.

Yeah I still listen to the soundtrack at work, its so good. Zimmer did amazing work, I'm excited to see what he will do for the sequel. I'm sure they will bring him in for the Justice League movie, they have to.

How is "noisy" even remotely a criticism for something intended to make noise?

Fully half of the soundtrack album has NO DRUMS on it. Just strings, guitar, chorus, and piano.

The General Zod cues were leaned on a bit much in the film, and the sound mix was a little overbearing, but the score work by Zimmer is a really decent blend of influences, and the balance (on the album) between the louder, more driving works, and the quieter, more evocative ones, is pretty even.

This is "noisy" in the same way "The Dark Knight" is noisy, in the same way "Inception" is noisy, in the same way "Gladiator" is noisy.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
The soundtrack actually is amazing when you reboot the dictionary and 'Amazing' suddenly means 'Flat, noisy and forgettable.'

lol never change.

Dead

well not really...yet
How is "noisy" even remotely a criticism for something intended to make noise?

Fully half of the soundtrack album has NO DRUMS on it. Just strings, guitar, chorus, and piano.

The General Zod cues were leaned on a bit much in the film, and the sound mix was a little overbearing, but the score work by Zimmer is a really decent blend of influences, and the balance (on the album) between the louder, more driving works, and the quieter, more evocative ones, is pretty even.

This is "noisy" in the same way "The Dark Knight" is noisy, in the same way "Inception" is noisy, in the same way "Gladiator" is noisy.
Inception is pure noise though.

Don't agree that this is.

This is "noisy" in the same way "The Dark Knight Rises" is noisy, and in the same way "Inception" is noisy..

Fixed.

I'm talking about the score for the film itself. Not isolated tracks. There might be some very nice isolated melodies on the OST, but during the film itself, Zimmer goes for those drums like a coke addict seeing the first signs of snow outside on a white Christmas day.

Bombastic action doesn't necessitate bombastic musical backing. It's like Zimmer seems to have forgotten how music can re-contextualize a scene so that we might be able to see it as more than what it is, as opposed to trying to emphasize each punch, hit and burst of speed on screen. Zimmer seems to have completely lost what the bigger picture of the story is in each scene and thus the score is as thoroughly noisy as the action onscreen.

I disagree on Inception being "Pure noise."

Much hay has been made out of the "Inception Horn" but that is not the score. Not even the entirety of it.

Inception's score is REALLY well done. I believe it even got nominated for an Oscar that year.

Fucked up your original post with an incorrect fix.

I'm talking about the score for the film itself. Not isolated tracks. There might be some very nice isolated melodies on the OST, but during the film itself, Zimmer goes for those drums like a coke addict seeing the first signs of snow outside on a white Christmas day.

Bombastic action doesn't necessitate bombastic musical backing. It's like Zimmer seems to have forgotten how music can re-contextualize a scene so that we might be able to see it as more than what it is, as opposed to trying to emphasize each punch and hit on screen. Zimmer seems to have completely lost what the bigger picture of the story is in each scene and thus the score is as thoroughly noisy as the action onscreen.

The score as used in the film itself was mixed a little poorly (the sound mix is REALLY aggressive, and the concept of dynamics seem to be lost on a LOT of people, not just engineers, but audiences) but I still don't feel that the score is forgettable.

In fact, I'd argue that Zimmer's style of scoring is unique in that he's not writing to the beats on the screen as much as he is trying to write for the emotion the scenes are trying to convey. If there's a problem in the tone (and there is) his score is merely amplifying it. But I don't think that makes it a poor score at all.

And the type of drum he's using in this movie is a little different than the artillery shell approach he's used in previous films.

I admit I might be inured to this since visually AND sonically, this movie seems to be using the Battlestar Galactica aesthetic. Which I really like and have gotten very used to.

The soundtrack actually is amazing when you reboot the dictionary and 'Amazing' suddenly means 'Flat, noisy and forgettable.'

FORTY TIMES TODAY

Much hay has been made out of the "Inception Horn" but that is not the score. Not even the entirety of it.

Inception's score is REALLY well done. I believe it even got nominated for an Oscar that year.

Truth. Inception's score is amazing but the horn bullshit got too much comedy attention.

Dead

well not really...yet
I agree that its good, but I mean its pure noise in the fact that its going at full throttle nearly the entire time. It never relents, ever, until the very end.

Honestly Inception is kind of a joke of a film without that score, as its pretty much what is driving the entire thing forward from start to end.

Inception had a fantastic track in 'Time', and yes the entire soundtrack isn't noise, but it's where Zimmer started to become indulgent in his overbearing cluster of drum beats. TDKR was entirely awful in that regard and this was just as bad.

MisterHero

I still prefer Williams's score, but Zimmer's turn surprised me.

If You Love These People is my favorite song with Arcade and Flight behind it. DNA had a great sci-fi sound that fit really well on Krypton.

I think the movie itself used these themes a lot more (and it sounded more energetic), but I don't feel it on the OST.

Dead

well not really...yet
Holy shit this OST has a lot of DRUMS
My ears :(

Goddammit Zimmer
Guess you missed the news that Zimmer literally built a drum orchestra featuring tons of famous drummers, including dudes like Danny Carey from TOOL lol

Zimmer is overrated to hell and back. The best works attributed to him were almost always composed by the uncredited people that use to work under him and he's the weakest part of pretty much every collaboration he's been a part of.

God that feels good to get off my chest.

Zimmer is overrated to hell and back. The best works attributed to him were almost always composed by the uncredited people that use to work under him and he's the weakest part of pretty much every collaboration he's been a part of.

God that feels good to get off my chest.

it's not like it's a burden that you bore alone: It's boilerplate criticism of Zimmer that goes back to 1996 and the Crimson Tide score.

that criticism is also kind of backwards. Basically, his "Media Ventures" empire featured young composers making works that Zimmer would often lend uncredited help to. The problem wasn't that those composers were being sponged off of by the maestro, it's that those composers were biting Zimmer's "Crimson Tide" styles to the point that the sound of that movie became solidly associated with Zimmer even though he'd never really done a score like that afterwards.

When he collaborated (as a lot of composers do) the fact there was another name on the sheet somewhere prompted people to use that name as a means to discredit the work Zimmer did. It was knee-jerk reaction more than it was fact-based, informed speculation.

"I like this score. I don't like Zimmer. He worked on this with someone. Ergo, the parts I liked must be this other person's doing, and the parts I don't like are all Zimmer."

It wasn't until last year that people found out the Joker Theme (Why So Serious) was all Zimmer. Most people believed Newton Howard had SOMETHING to do with it.

Lotta people also forget he did the score to The Lion King.

Top Bottom