• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Fuck it, let's do this.

1: Superman: The Movie
2: Man of Steel
3: Superman II
4: Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
5: Superman Returns
6: Superman vs. the Elite
7: Superman III
8: Superman Unbound
9: All-Star Superman
10: Superman: Doomsday
11: Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

Toa TAK

Banned
Fuck it, let's do this.

1. Superman: The Movie
2. Man of Steel
3. Superman II
4. All Star Superman
5. Superman vs. The Elite
6. Superman Returns
50. The rest

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Speed Racer was the best summer blockbuster of 2008

Blockbuster: Something, such as a film or book, that sustains widespread popularity and achieves enormous sales.

Sales:

The film grossed $18,561,337 in its opening weekend from around 6,700 screens at 3,606 theaters in the United States and Canada and ranking third at the box office behind Iron Man and What Happens in Vegas. In its second weekend it grossed $8,117,459 and ranked fourth at the box office. The film closed its run on August 1, 2008 with $43,945,766 domestically and $93,945,766 worldwide. The results were well below studio expectations, given that the production costs of Speed Racer were estimated to be over $120 million.

Popularity:

Speed Racer has received generally mixed to negative reviews from film critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes ranked the film as "rotten", with 39% of its selected critics giving the film positive reviews, based on 207 reviews with an average rating of 5.1/10. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the film has received an average score of 37 out of 100, which indicates "generally unfavorable reviews", based on 37 reviews.

You may have liked it, but it wasn't a blockbuster in any real sense of the word.

Fuck it, let's do this.

A better question would be what would the gap be in-between your first three selections.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
5. All-Star Superman
6: Superman Returns
7.Superman vs. the Elite
8.Superman Unbound
9.Superman: Doomsday
10. Superman III
12.Superman: Brainiac Attacks

witness

Speed Racer is better than MOS, ASM, John Carter, Dredd and Returns

combined

xgt.gif

Yeah, the definition of "blockbuster" has morphed to become a STYLE of movie, as opposed to what it's original definition was.

Blockbuster simply means the movie made a ton of money. That a specific style of movie makes that money more consistently has caused the term to morph into meaning "Big flashy summer action movie."

Ben Stiller is all over the masterpiece heavyweights

Shit, I meant three. Dunno why I brainfarted, Stiller in Heavyweights is fucking hilarious.

Yeah, the definition of "blockbuster" has morphed to become a STYLE of movie, as opposed to what it's original definition was.

Blockbuster simply means the movie made a ton of money. That a specific style of movie makes that money more consistently has caused the term to morph into meaning "Big flashy summer action movie."

Shit, I meant three. Dunno why I brainfarted, Stiller in Heavyweights is fucking hilarious.

What movie isn't he in, Bobby?

Dead

well not really...yet
Blockbuster: Something, such as a film or book, that sustains widespread popularity and achieves enormous sales.

Sales:

Popularity:

You may have liked it, but it wasn't a blockbuster in any real sense of the word.
I can assure you Pacific Rim is a blockbuster movie no matter how much it makes at the box office

People are becoming pedantic. Everytime you see somebody say 'blockbuster', pretend they said 'tentpole'. Then go jerk off on your latest copy of Variety.

Wat? I buy all my movies from amazon

I just recently got Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, and Fargo, all brand new, for $20 on Amazon.

Also got that Bond 50 set for $100 from Amazon.

On any given weekend they'll have at least 40 bonafide classics for sale under $10 on blu-ray.

Amazon is GREAT.

Hell, a few months ago, I picked up Superman: The Movie on blu for $9.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I can assure you Pacific Rim is a blockbuster movie no matter how much it makes at the box office

Yeah, Pacific Rim looks fantastic to me. I really hope Del Toro delivers on it, and I hope it makes buttloads of money so that more giant robo movies get made.

Why do you gentlemen prefer the original Donner film over Man of Steel?

I love the original Donner Superman for all it's sincerity, emotion, and class, but it's an entirely different entity compared to Man of Steel. Honestly if MoS had been better in the areas we've all debated about for the past dozen pages or so, it would most likely be my favorite Superman film by a wide margin. As it is, MoS just left me wanting and I didn't enjoy as much as I should have. Donner's original is always a fun movie to watch, I'd say that's why I'd prefer it over MoS.

Basically what Mengy said: Superman: The Movie succeeds more at doing what it's trying to do than Man of Steel did. They're trying to do different things, definitely, but Superman: The Movie gets there more often than Man of Steel does.

Blader

Basically what Mengy said: Superman: The Movie succeeds more at doing what it's trying to do than Man of Steel did. They're trying to do different things, definitely, but Superman: The Movie gets there more often than Man of Steel does.

I think Man of Steel is pretty comparable to Superman: The Movie. They both accomplish the same things, and are hindered by the same weaknesses, just tailored for different eras. But MoS is both as good and bad as Donner's Superman.

jett

D-Member

This seems about right. Even Superman Returns achieves what it tries to do. What it's trying to do sucks balls, but it achieves it.

Jigolo

Movie was only okay. The main thing I liked about it was the action honestly. The whole time watching it the fights I was thinking to myself this is the closest we're ever gonna get to a real life DBZ fight.

jett

D-Member
Speed Racer is awesome. Its like a popsicle for your eyes. Never understood the hate for that movie.

And it has some real ass emotional moments too. No one ever mentions how good the characters are. It's the perfect family movie. If you feel nothing during the first and last races you're dead inside, I don't care who you are.

And it has some real ass emotional moments too. No one ever mentions how good the characters are. It's the perfect family movie. If you feel nothing during the first and last races you're dead inside, I don't care who you are.
I just realized that your "mister negative" tag is gone. The power of Speed Racer?

Sulik2

And some good martial arts sequnces. Speed Racer was fantastic.

That was part of the reason it was rejected. Actually, there were multiple reasons.

1) Speed Racer had no real cultural cachet at the time
2) The Wachowskis were coming off really bad buzz
3) Nobody was checking for them to make a family film
4) People heard it was long
5) People saw that it was "fake."

All that shit is varying degrees of unfair, as not a lot of people really judged the movie on its own merits. Yeah, some saw the movie and still wrote it off, and it doesn't work on all quadrants equally, but I think a lot of people weren't willing to let go of their armfuls of one-liners to let the movie be its own thing.

It was essentially a case of a whole bunch of people deciding it'd be more fun to turn Speed Racer into a punchline than to actually watch Speed Racer.

I think I'm seeing this tomorrow. Something came up today, blocking my time in the sun.

I liked Dawn of the Dead. I hated 300. I hated Watchmen. I hated Legend of the Guardians.

Should be interesting!

jett

D-Member
I just realized that your "mister negative" tag is gone. The power of Speed Racer?

go jett go!

And some good martial arts sequnces. Speed Racer was fantastic.

That digital one-shot fight in the mountains is probably the best of its kind.

That was part of the reason it was rejected. Actually, there were multiple reasons.

1) Speed Racer had no real cultural cachet at the time
2) The Wachowskis were coming off really bad buzz
3) Nobody was checking for them to make a family film
4) People heard it was long
5) People saw that it was "fake."

All that shit is varying degrees of unfair, as not a lot of people really judged the movie on its own merits. Yeah, some saw the movie and still wrote it off, and it doesn't work on all quadrants equally, but I think a lot of people weren't willing to let go of their armfuls of one-liners to let the movie be its own thing.

It was essentially a case of a whole bunch of people deciding it'd be more fun to turn Speed Racer into a punchline than to actually watch Speed Racer.

Sadly this happens with a lot of stuff. I've actually managed to convert a couple of people with SR, just by convincing them to give the movie a chance. :p

It's got more in common with Dawn of the Dead (believe it or not) visually/stylistically than any of the others.

I didn't expect to hear that.

Perhaps "hate" is too strong a word for Watchmen. It was pretty well made and seemed to be like this perfect adaptation of the source material (aside from the giant squid shit, whatever the hell that was all about). But I was so uninterested in anything about it. Story, characters, action didn't do anything for me at all.

Top Bottom