• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Raptor

There is one expression Cavill made that evoked more in me than Routh did in the entirety of Returns or Reeve in the originals for that matter, and is not even an emotional or sad scene.

Just one expression hot damn.

.GqueB.

Banned
Oh jesus christ

Speaking of which, I've not had my morning coffee yet. Alright I get it now. :p

I think it's mainly because I completely disagree, I liked SOZE and all but Cyclops was by far the best character.

I felt sorry for Cyclops throughout the entire movie. He's one of the more developed characters somehow. I need to watch this movie again.

Personally Cavill was decent at best.

In the movie, he's always better when he isn't expressing much. I personally found the way he talks not evocative of Superman at all, and some of his expressions were just bad.

I felt sorry for Cyclops throughout the entire movie. He's one of the more developed characters somehow. I need to watch this movie again.

He was the most developed character because of the theme of the film which had to do with whether or not Superman is relevant. Despite Supes' powers, he would have failed in saving the world if Richard hadn't saved him near the end. The son asks him how he got there and he says "I flew." It was a really great moment about the power and technology that "normal" humans have achieved, but it didn't undermine Superman or the things he did to help save the world.

It made a case for the existence of both Superman but also human skill/bravery/heart/yadda yadda. Richard exemplified these things and helped bring them to light. It was also awesome that you had a love triangle thing going on, and the "other guy" wasn't a complete asshole. He was just as likable and charismatic, if not more so than Clark.

.GqueB.

Banned

In the movie, he's always better when he isn't expressing much. I personally found the way he talks not evocative of Superman at all, and some of his expressions were just bad.

I personally liked his "preparing to fly" stance. Not many actors can get this right. It actually looked like he was propelling himself forward with force.

Raptor

I disagree here, his expressions sold the character to me, I related to various stuff he was feeling and that he portrayed by his expressions or tone of voice, mannerisms and all, expressions were of a person feeling stuff, I don't get at all why is that bad.

He IS Superman to me now, and will be for the foreseable future.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
The scene that evoked the most emotion out of me was one I didn't really expect...

It was literally the
birth of Kal-El, the music and just knowing that little baby becomes Superman... something just got to me with that scene and I got chills/little man tears formed
. I had a couple other moments in the movie that got to me, but nothing like that for some reason.

A
birthing scene
got to me lol

revoke my damn man card.

I disagree here, his expressions sold the character to me, I related to various stuff he was feeling and that he portrayed by his expressions or tone of voice, mannerisms and all, expressions were of a person feeling stuff, I don't get at all why is that bad.

He IS Superman to me now, and will be for the foreseable future.

There was this lip thing Cavill did more than once in the movie were I just went "Really? Why are you doing that?".
It's the little things of course, it's not like he was bad. But I really didn't care for him at all when he wasn't emotionless.

Doesn't even come close to Reeve.

The scene that evoked the most emotion out of me was one I didn't really expect...

It was literally the
birth of Kal-El, the music and just knowing that little baby becomes Superman... something just got to me with that scene and I got chills/little man tears formed
. I had a couple other moments in the movie that got to me, but nothing like that for some reason.

A
birthing scene
got to me lol

revoke my damn man card.

Lol You're not a big superman fan at all.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Honestly I've liked all the Superman players. Brandon Routh was great IMO.

I really will never be able to judge his performance honestly since he had to play Reeve Superman. He did the best he could with what he was given, but he didn't even come close to matching the presence of Reeve. So I can't call him great, but he was not awful and was not the worst thing about the movie. Far too young looking though.

Cavill got lucky in that sense after all, he can create and shape his own version of Supes.

I'm not sure how to even respond to that.

Well you could just rejoice in the fact.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but how much of a Superman fan do you need to be to get teary eyed at a by the numbers
birth scene right at the start of the movie?
I mean come on man. That's like... Stage 5 fandom.

xenist

It's got pacing problems (like the TDKR, yes). It's got a lot of info dump. The Codex is a macguffin for the sake of having one. It's never clear what Clark is supposed to do with it. If anything other than just let it exist inside him. Maybe this is something they'll touch on in the sequel. Lois Lane exists so expository dialogue can be dumped on her for the audience. Lois/Clark relationship is incredibly forced (they get together because Lois and Clark are supposed to get together!). As mentioned above, MoS doesn't do near as good at father figures leading their sons to being heroes. Goyer is clearly trying to recycle that. The Daily Planet cast is throw away. So yeah it's a little sloppy. I didn't say there weren't DEFINITE problems with TDKR script. I can agree with that, but Man of Steel is just as "schizophrenic."

Edit: This is all off the top of my head. I am sure I'll think of something else. Maybe even come to terms with some of the above. But I just wanted to clarify why I think it's not tidy.

First about the codex. I don't know why it being a macguffin would be a bad thing. Come to think of it, a macguffin is not a negative term. Anyway, the codex provides an answer to the question "Why does Zod want Superman?" Even without its use as a means of reviving Crypton it has served its script purpose.

Second. Lois and Clark. They get together because they're two hot people that get hot for each other. And even beyond that. Lois likes Clark because he's the fucking Superman. A zenith of male perfection literally unachievable by humans. Clark likes Lois because even though she found him out she kept his secret, thereby earning his trust.

Third, the father thing. Clark is in a tug of war between his two father figures. Jor El wants him to lead humanity. Jonathan wants him to hide from humanity, even at the cost of lives, out of fear of what he may cause. Neither is asking for him to be a hero. Even the Superman of Kingdom Come or Red Son wouldn't violate the letter of Jor El's wishes.

And The Daily Planet cast is throwaway because this story doesn't concern The Daily Planet.

Raptor

It was literally the

A
birthing scene
got to me lol

revoke my damn man card.

For me was
the look of frustation he had after he started to jump trying to fly and crashed on the side of a mountain and when he got up out of that crater he made, that freaking look he made god damn it, I almost could feel if I was Superman and I could feel that frustration because he knew he could be better than that, he knows he is really powerfull.

I don't know, little things like that or
when he crashed to the vault steel door, that look of pain and amazement of that freaking powerfull enemy

:)

Effect

Doubt it will happen but I'd be happy with Rosenbaum playing Lex. He was THE best thing about Smallville and they have no problem adapting things from Smallville already in Man of Steel. They were a few nods toward it already. Which makes sense as a good number of the people that would go to see the film would have seen that show at some point over the 10 years it was airing..

.GqueB.

Banned

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but how much of a Superman fan do you need to be to get teary eyed at a by the numbers

You're so awkward.

Matrix

Questioning Matrix's Superman fandom?

You can just walk out of this thread now.

He went on my ignore list. He's just trolling the shit out of me at this point and I'm tired of it.

Toa TAK, yea that was great too.

Rosengbaun sucks.
Because Lex is human, and won't be able to command a scene based on his physicality or powers, he needs to be played by a grade A actor.

Since this universe clearly demands a more serious Lex than the Donner verse, I would say you need someone like flavor of the month Benedict Cumberbatch. He has the looks, he has the voice, he has the chops...
Hell I would be screen testing someone like Mikkelsen too.

You're so awkward.

Of course, I'm the awkward one.

Buntabox

First about the codex. I don't know why it being a macguffin would be a bad thing. Come to think of it, a macguffin is not a negative term. Anyway, the codex provides an answer to the question "Why does Zod want Superman?" Even without its use as a means of reviving Crypton it has served its script purpose.

Second. Lois and Clark. They get together because they're two hot people that get hot for each other. And even beyond that. Lois likes Clark because he's the fucking Superman. A zenith of male perfection literally unachievable by humans. Clark likes Lois because even though she found him out she kept his secret, thereby earning his trust.

Third, the father thing. Clark is in a tug of war between his two father figures. Jor El wants him to lead humanity. Jonathan wants him to hide from humanity, even at the cost of lives, out of fear of what he may cause. Neither is asking for him to be a hero. Even the Superman of Kingdom Come or Red Son wouldn't violate the letter of Jor El's wishes.

And The Daily Planet cast is throwaway because this story doesn't concern The Daily Planet.

I feel like you just validated most of what I said, but maybe I'm missing your point entirely. I wasn't commenting on the way the film did the above, but that it wasn't done very well compared to the film it's trying to resemble. Hence it's a mess.

JB1981

It's not just simply a generic birth scene though. His birth is done in secret, it is literally a crime in that society and that gives it weight/importance that it wouldn't normally have. I love that Goyer added this layer to the established mythos.

For me was
the look of frustation he had after he started to jump trying to fly and crashed on the side of a mountain and when he got up out of that crater he made, that freaking look he made god damn it, I almost could feel if I was Superman and I could feel that frustration because he knew he could be better than that, he knows he is really powerfull.

I don't know, little things like that or
when he crashed to the vault steel door, that look of pain and amazement of that freaking powerfull enemy

:)

I know it's an odd one, but the part that got to me
was right after he got a pitcher of beer splashed on his face at the bar. His expression was fucking brilliant. It wasn't anger. It was hopelessness and despair. Almost brought a damn tear to my eye given the context of the character. Haven't seen that part mentioned much if at all.

Raptor

I know it's an odd one, but the part that got to me
was right after he got a pitcher of beer splashed on his face at the bar. His expression was fucking brilliant. It wasn't anger. It was hopelessness and despair. Almost brought a damn tear to my eye given the context of the character. Haven't seen that part mentioned much if at all.
Im really loving that we got different scenes all of us :)

That expression yes was great.

That's what Im refering when I say that Cavill expressions and stuff was really great in the movie.

It's not just simply a generic birth scene though. His birth is done in secret, it is literally a crime in that society and that gives it weight/importance that it wouldn't normally have. I love that Goyer added this layer to the established mythos.

I didn't question the importance of the scene in the mythos of Superman. However there's basically no build up to it, and the scene itself isn't anything special. So in essence you gotta be an out of the charts Superman fan to get teary eyed at it, since the scene by itself would never warrant that from normal viewers.

Essentially it's an emotional pay off that isn't earned in the slightest, which either means I'm wrong and Matrix is a highly emotional guy (which he clearly seems to be) or I'm right. And that means that a guy who has been going around this thread saying how mad he is at "stupid criticisms" of the movie, really doesn't have a whole lot of ground to do so because clearly he isn't looking at the movie in any way that might be considered objective or constructive.

If he hadn't called out others criticisms of the movie I wouldn't have cared.

rizz

Neo Member
I liked it. But literally everyone I know who watched the movie are throwing around hyperboles such as "best superhero movie ever" "most epic movie ever" and such. So, now I feel confused as to why I didn't 'love' the movie as much as they did.

Honestly, the movie felt somewhat.... the word that comes to mind is bland. It didn't have the depth of the batman movies or the charm of marvel movies.

But I thought it was a competent sci-fi action flick, and a good modern day superman movie. But not worthy of all the hyperboles being thrown around.

I think the scenes that got to me most were the ones were I saw pain on Cavill's face. There were two scenes were he was in mental anguish, and I got teary eyed in both scenes.

Really wished it was around 3 hours long.

Man_of_Steel_-_Fat_1732725q.jpg

Im really loving that we got different scenes all of us :)

That expression yes was great.

That's what Im refering when I say that Cavill expressions and stuff was really great in the movie.

Yep. The more I think about this movie, the more I love it. Many of the themes didn't come across immediately to me while I was in the theatre, but taking time in processing the film, and thinking about how the flashbacks were placed during the narrative makes me appreciate how they developed the character of Clark, and how they paralleled the struggles of his youth to the revelations of his adulthood. More than anything else though, I love how the actors, especially Cavill, elevate the script. It's really a minimalist screenplay as far as dialogue goes, which leaves much of the pressure on the expressions. And boy do they deliver. It reminds me of The Nostalgia Critic's comparison of Batman and Batman Begins - not everything has to be verbalized.

JB1981

I didn't question the importance of the scene in the mythos of Superman. However there's basically no build up to it, and the scene itself isn't anything special. So in essence you gotta be an out of the charts Superman fan to get teary eyed at it, since the scene by itself would never warrant that from normal viewers.

Essentially it's an emotional pay off that isn't earned in the slightest, which either means I'm wrong and Matrix is a highly emotional guy (which he clearly seems to be) or I'm right. And that means that a guy who has been going around this thread saying how mad he is at "stupid criticisms" of the movie, really doesn't have a whole lot of ground to do so because clearly he isn't looking at the movie in any way that might be considered objective or constructive.

If he hadn't called out others criticisms of the movie I wouldn't have cared.

It didn't get me teary eyed but the scene definitely had emotion. What the hell kind of build up do you want to a scene like that?

Most emotional moment to me was when Poppa Kent made that hand gesture. Kevin Costner knows what he's doing.

It didn't get me teary eyed but the scene definitely had emotion. What the hell kind of build up do you want to a scene like that?

Well point I'm trying to make is that the movie starts as a blank slate, and therefore you don't have a connection to any of the actual characters you saw in the scene. You mention the back story, but really you only learn about it after the fact. So at that point in the movie, there's nothing in that scene to demand a big emotional response unless you are looking at it and the memories of your own
child's birth
pop up and you connect in that sense. That said, that's not the case is it? It was simply because that baby is gonna be superman. And I gotta say, that by itself is not something the movie did... it's something the big Superman fan did by himself.

Yeah and Caville really nailed that scene man. If I was on set I would have chills.

Yeah again, I didn't really care for Cavill. It's funny how in that scene Cavill essentially has the big moment but with little Costner did much more.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Rosengbaun sucks.

WTF??? Did you even watch Smallville, at all? Rosenbaum personified Lex, like to the fucking T. He was exceptional in the role and arguably the best thing about the show for many seasons.

Personally, I think they should seriously consider him. He's got an 8 season audition for the part, and would play the exact type of Lex Luthor a modern version of Superman needs to be pitted against.

WTF??? Did you even watch Smallville, at all? Rosenbaum personified Lex, like to the fucking T. He was exceptional in the role and arguably the best thing about the show for many seasons.

Personally, I think they should seriously consider him. He's got an 8 season audition for the part, and would play the exact type of Lex Luthor a modern version of Superman needs to be pitted against.

Dude, I watched all of Smallville and feel ashamed for it. Told myself I was quits with each season that ended.

I stand by it, Rosenbaum sucks.

They're not going to consider him. It would be considered a tie to a previously existing version of the character, which they don't want to pursue. Especially considering we have evidence of how hard fans are wishing for that tie to exist with the "Christopher Reeve CGI" controversy from a few pages ago.

Rosenbaum is not going to play Lex.

Snyder has said he wants someone that's kind of like an evil version of Richard Branson.

Top Bottom