• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

I think Hamm is probably out almost solely because of that SNL sketch.

I've already suggested Jeffrey Dean Morgan, due to his connection to Snyder from Watchmen.

Toa TAK

Banned
I just hope DC/WB take their time and not rush things in an effort to put out JL as soon as possible. They're behind Marvel but people will not mind waiting a little bit longer for a better product.

This is my fear. I don't want them to rush out the next film. Most things that are rushed don't always turn out as well.

A lot of people seem to be pushing this. It's the choice that Rosenbaum was referencing when he made his tweet, which I'm sure he knows is a gag - nobody actually gets roles in Hollywood because they crowdsourced a digital rallying cry. Otherwise we'd be watching Donald Glover in The Amazing Spider-Man.
Miles Morales in Avengers 3. Believe.

So yeah -

1013020_377187349047960_907495095_n_zpsb829fb75.jpg

Sulik2

I disagree entirely with your first and second point, obviously. But most importantly, we shouldn't give a rat's ass about his accent since Lex being american or not means absolute dick shit. Hell make him an american who went abroad when he was young if that matters in the slightest.

Honestly the best thing they could do is make Lex Idris Elba and then overdub him with Clancy Brown's voice.

jett

D-Member
Idris Elba for Lex Luthor

I actually watched this movie again last night, I like it a bit better watching it without preconceived expectations and just appreciating it for what it is. Flawed but entertaining. Even enjoyed the Krypton stuff this time.

Korey score: 7/10

Raptor

Idris Elba for Lex Luthor

I actually watched this movie again last night, I like it a bit better watching it without preconceived expectations and just appreciating it for what it is. Flawed but entertaining. Even enjoyed the Krypton stuff this time.

Korey score: 7/10

Just another watch and you will reach my score of 8/10!

Niceee!!

Shaanyboi

Banned

Huh... well i mean he has the experience in the role. I'd honestly prefer him playing The Flash in Justice League :p

I think the Man of Steel theme is okay, but my problem with Zimmer's themes for Batman and now Superman is that they don't really take off. It feels like they're building toward a theme but never quite climax into something memorable.

like the Amazing Spider-man theme

I genuinely can't recall a single fucking note from the ASM theme.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think Hamm is probably out almost solely because of that SNL sketch.

I've already suggested Jeffrey Dean Morgan, due to his connection to Snyder from Watchmen.

It's a shame we can't have Clancy Brown find the fountain of youth. He's probably too old to play Lex today, but 10 or 20 years ago he could have really nailed the part:

LEXLUTHOR.jpg

I just hope we see
Faora return for the third part.
Sigh. What a woman.

Absolutely. Here is what I want from the next two movies:

Man of Tomorrow - Lex Luthor appears in the spotlight and pledges to rebuild Metropolis as the City of Tomorrow with his vast wealth. Along the way he starts a campaign of hate towards Superman, saying that he isn't human, and it doesn't matter what his intentions are, he's too dangerous to be allowed to stay! You can go two ways with the plot. Either have it be an intellectual vs. Superman, or have Lex start the Doomsday Project or something to defend against Superman, and then have it get out of control and have Superman save the day, but this time specifically taking time in battle to save regular people. The title would be a play on both Superman and Luthor.

Last Son of Krypton -
Faora returns from the Phantom Zone with the help of Luthor or something (or does it herself), but returns with Brainiac or something. In the end Superman manages to convince Foara there is another way and then there's like a 20-minute softcore love scene focusing on Faora and then she teams up with him and stops Brainiac. lol. Or he just defeats her and Brainiac.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I'm not missing the subtext at all. The fact that writers previously decided to write these characters with a specific market in mind is one thing, but the potential and the nature of these characters present something far greater.

Superman is the ultimate story of an immigrant, but he's an immigrant in this world. America was the alley where he grew up. For example in Returns Lois writes about "Why the world doesn't need Superman". The world, not america. His values are human values, they aren't american values. His reach is worldwide, he's not Spiderman who is basically just making a difference in New York.

Lex represents human flaws, nothing he is is exclusive to him being american. He also doesn't characterize the american dream at all considering he was born rich and the American dream is about social mobility. Rather he contrasts by being a human with power who corrupts his own humanity, the opposite of Superman who isn't even a human, and his power made him the most humane of all of us on Earth. That's why he is a worldwide symbol, why his message is far reaching.

It's not about Americans. That's just sugar coating, because he's written by Americans.

I totally agree with this post.

Odoul

Quick photoshop of how i imagine Lex Luthor.

i6buTUV.jpg

Just look at him, staring icy at those 40 (fourty!!) cakes.

That would actually be an awesome pick.

If contract talks with Denzel Washington or Viggo Mortensen break down he's a good third.

Buzzfeed's article speculating on casting choices for Luthor in the sequel was an enjoyable read. Rosenbaum responded to it tweeting his interesting. But I would be interested in Joaquin Phoenix taking the role. Thoughts?

Lex's baldness adds to the imagery of villainy which is why I'd prefer him to have a full coat of hair to be honest.

Buzzfeed's article speculating on casting choices for Luthor in the sequel was an enjoyable read. Rosenbaum responded to it tweeting his interesting. But I would be interested in Joaquin Phoenix taking the role. Thoughts?

Lex's baldness adds to the imagery of villainy which is why I'd prefer him to have a full coat of hair to be honest.

I'm okay with that. They will need to write the Luthor character very well for it to work though.

The waste of Kevin Spacey (watching House of Cards is a painful reminder of that) as Luthor is still a sore point for me. The curse of script rewriting, I guess.
I fully expect JP4 to have similar problems btw.

Top Bottom