• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

bjb

Banned
Saw the movie opening night. Was absolute dogshit. I mean, some of the action was decent, but overall the story and pacing were laughably pathetic. Quite literally written by someone with a high school level of education.

LosDaddie

Banned
I didn't question the importance of the scene in the mythos of Superman. However there's basically no build up to it, and the scene itself isn't anything special. So in essence you gotta be an out of the charts Superman fan to get teary eyed at it, since the scene by itself would never warrant that from normal viewers.

Essentially it's an emotional pay off that isn't earned in the slightest, which either means I'm wrong and Matrix is a highly emotional guy (which he clearly seems to be) or I'm right. And that means that a guy who has been going around this thread saying how mad he is at "stupid criticisms" of the movie, really doesn't have a whole lot of ground to do so because clearly he isn't looking at the movie in any way that might be considered objective or constructive.

If he hadn't called out others criticisms of the movie I wouldn't have cared.

I agree with this. I thought the birth scene was fine & all, but not at all worth shedding a tear over. Maybe if the director/writer had shown how Jor & the wife struggled to have a natural birth (the first in many years on Krypton) beforehand, but not as the opening scene to the movie.

Heh

This dude makes Zimmers theme sound really touching. No need for that bombastic nonsense

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpogWs30mY

Love the Williams theme being snuck in there lol

that's like way better than the zimmer score. i wish they snuck in some of the old williams theme.

fuck lame ass drums. would have preferred more emphasis on strings and piano.

edit: explosions in the sky probably would have done a pretty good job too.

Raptor

that's like way better than the zimmer score. i wish they snuck in some of the old williams theme.

fuck lame ass drums. would have preferred more emphasis on strings and piano.

edit: explosions in the sky probably would have done a pretty good job too.

NO MORE WILLIAMS STUFF!!

:p

Saw the movie opening night. Was absolute dogshit. I mean, some of the action was decent, but overall the story and pacing were laughably pathetic. Quite literally written by someone with a high school level of education.

But Goyer graduated college, so it's not literally?

not in this score, although the sound mixing was probably what fucked me up. it was so loud in theaters. it was like the dialogue and music and effects were all just crashing into each other.

(and I'm talking about the more string/guitar heavy explosions in the sky tracks)

yo this guy is dope on the piano. i'm listening to his lord of the rings suite right now.

I think that theme had its day. Its over.

So many things died with Returns. So many things.

The worst thing about Returns is how it completely fucking killed some of the stuff everyone loves about Donner's films that could have worked in a world where Returns was never made before MoS.

The worst thing about Returns is how it completely fucking killed some of the stuff everyone loves about Donner's films that could have worked in a world where Returns was never made before MoS.

Of course before MOS, in a world where returns was never made could be the Donner we all remember.

SteveWD40

Saw it tonight, solid 8/10 (would be a 7 but the casting was sooooo good). Cavill was perfect, as was Costner and Adams, small moments like
the Col. pulling his knife on KryptoBitch
were great.

Action went on a bit towards the end but overall I liked it way more than Returns and DKR.

Vyer

Idris Elba for Lex Luthor

I actually watched this movie again last night, I like it a bit better watching it without preconceived expectations and just appreciating it for what it is. Flawed but entertaining. Even enjoyed the Krypton stuff this time.

Korey score: 7/10

I feel like your first impression was along those same lines, but got worse as discussion continued. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Explosions in the sky has some pretty loud drums, themselves.

Dunno why everyone all of a sudden thinks drums are bad.

Drums are fuckin awesome.

Agreed. I love the use of drums in MoS and DKR's soundtrack. Not saying that there aren't other valid approaches, but both fit their movies perfectly well.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Should I watch John carter. I had zero interest in it.

Watch it. Even if you don't enjoy it, you still get an amazing score to listen to.

Speaking of John Carter, the scene where he starts to REALLY jump when the Zodangans are attacking Dejah is more awe-inspiring than Superman's first flight.

Raptor

There is room for both people that liked MOS and those that disliked it. The thread does not have to be a constant circle jerk.

And Sculli was right.

Apparently everything went over your head, a question was asked and we responded, but the difference is that Sculli answered throwing shit at MoS, yes we are in a MoS thread but the question was off topic anyway so it wasn't needed for that particular question, the poster didn't even mentioned MoS in his question.

But I guess I was out of line so whatever.

Apparently everything went over your head, a question was asked and we responded, but the difference is that Sculli answered throwing shit at MoS, yes we are in a MoS thread but the question was off topic anyway so it wasn't needed for that particular question, the poster didn't even mentioned MoS in his question.

But I guess I was out of line so whatever.
You have to understand that like TDKR, MoS disappointed me greatly. It hurt me. And I'm a petty, petty man. Expect more shit from me toward MoS from now and forever.

I like Woola!

He had roughly 3x the personality of Carter.

Tars Tarka was okay. Hard to completely discount Dafoe, though.

But overall, that movie isn't very "fun" in a lot of the same ways Man of Steel isn't "fun"

edit: you're not petty, sculli. You're just amazingly oversensitive :)

Raptor

I like Woola!

He had roughly 3x the personality of Carter.

Tars Tarka was okay. Hard to completely discount Dafoe, though.

But overall, that movie isn't very "fun" in a lot of the same ways Man of Steel isn't "fun"

edit: you're not petty, sculli. You're just amazingly oversensitive :)

So it was a serious movie?

I though that was good for the movie.

Tars Tarkas had a lot of personality. Dafoe was great.

He sure was.

tumblr_mjhh83QeG91rkffv3o1_500.gif

Top Bottom