• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

seriously though, how could anyone dislike Woola?

6-legged space pug on crack.

edit: the rest of the movie isn't very fun, that's why. a couple scenes w/ the space pug & Dafoe being a green Klingon doesn't overcome the other 2 hours of confused & boring going on.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I thought Lynn Collins was great as Dejah Thoris. Guess it's just me.

Hot as hell too.

MYE

This ASM scene right here is that one instance in the movie where music, camerawork, backdrop and performance perfectly come together. Felt magical when the camera backed off then zoomed in on Peter doing the finger lift and falling back. Music fit that moment perfectly!!
Shame it was way too short.

But as disappointing as Horner's ASM score was, its more pleasing to the ear than Zimmer's MoS one. And this despite MoS's theme having a better central melody.

JB1981

This ASM scene right here is that one instance in the movie where music, camerawork, backdrop and performance perfectly come together. Felt magical when the camera backed off then zoomed in on Peter doing the finger lift and falling back. Music fit that moment perfectly!!

But as disappointing as Horner's ASM score was, its more pleasing to the ear than Zimmer's MoS one. And this despite MoS's theme having a better central melody.

It's still a soulless piece of shit

Toa TAK

Banned

I do like ASM's score, but MOS owns it.

MYE

BAM, RALPH FIENNES!

82695041.jpg

There's your Lex Luthor!

It's still a soulless piece of shit

Yeah it is,
kinda like MoS....dont kill me!!!!*runs*

MYE

Off-topic, but this thread just reminded me how much I love Danny Elfman's theme for the Raimi Spider-man movies.

Anyway, I'm still overall positive on MoS, I enjoyed it a a lot. I hope that in the next film they actually bring up the shear amount of total fucking death and destruction Superman and Zod caused, because at the moment it sort of seems like everyone just shrugs it off.

They can always resuscitate everyone with the dragon balls

Jonogunn

I know it's a superman signature but I really wish they would have gotten rid of his "disguise" angle.

They built such a realistic feeling universe that seems like it could fit it with the dark knight trilogy but then expect us to believe no one can tell that Clark is super man because of glasses????

Warner bros pls

WillyFive

I know it's a superman signature but I really wish they would have gotten rid of his "disguise" angle.

They built such a realistic feeling universe that seems like it could fit it with the dark knight trilogy but then expect us to believe no one can tell that Clark is super man because of glasses????

Warner bros pls

It's not just the glasses, but various methods Superman uses, including acting.

And of course, the most important part; the sheer disbelief that it would happen. No one is simply going to expect Clark Kent to be Superman, much in the same way you can't expect someone you walk pass by in the street to be a huge movie star or influential politician. Although we as readers/viewers already know who he is; In order for you to suspect it was that person if you were in the position of someone in the story, you'd have to go through some insane leaps in logic that it would seem ridiculous to you if you did came to that conclusion.

MYE

I was never under the impression that they would, considering that you didn't remember it in the first place. If you would have found it memorable you... would have remembered it.

To be fair some scores/tracks are mishandled in movies.
Take The Hobbit for example. The best track wast stuck in the credits sequence AFTER "Lonely Mountain"

:/

Jonogunn

It's not just the glasses, but various methods Superman uses, including acting.

And of course, the most important part; the sheer disbelief that it would happen. No one is simply going to expect Clark Kent to be Superman, much in the same way you can't expect someone you walk pass by in the street to be a huge movie star or influential politician. Although we as readers/viewers already know who he is; In order for you to suspect it was that person if you were in the position of someone in the story, you'd have to go through some insane leaps in logic that it would seem ridiculous to you if you did came to that conclusion.

That's true

Just that with a person like superman who changed everything the people thought they knew, you'd think that face would be burned into their minds forever. Not to mention how pictures and videos of him will be everywhere for a long time to come.

It's a shame that there is no dc universe yet. I feel like the dark knight, arrow, and man of steel coulda totally fit in the same universe.

To be fair some scores/tracks are mishandled in movies.

Yeah, but I didn't feel that was the case with ASM. The theme came to full glory at the climax of the crane sequence and there it stands out and stands proud, as well as the closing scenes.

Chichikov

Warner bros pls
I wish they stop trying to make movies about a dude who can fly and shoot lasers from his eyes "realistic".

p.s.
Hey, maybe in the next reboot they should make him act like a typical person from rural Kansas.

Salsa

you guys should read this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AFCZ1S4/

John+Carter+and+the+Gods+of+Hollywood.jpg

JOHN CARTER AND THE GODS OF HOLLYWOOD examines every aspect of Andrew Stanton's adaptation and Disney's marketing campaign and seeks to answer the question: What went wrong? It includes a history of Hollywood's 100 year effort to bring the film to the screen, and examines the global fan movement spawned by the film.

it's pretty good. Was free for Kindle not too long ago

Valhelm

contribute something
I just got back from watching it from the first time. I have no idea why it was so panned by critics!

To me, Man of Steel was a thoughtful, serious twist on a character that has never really been taken seriously in mainstream works of fiction. The action was great, the writing was better than I expected, and Henry Cavill played an excellent Superman.

This was far better than any of the Marvel films since Iron Man.

Just saw this. I fucking loved it! Loved Henry Cavill as Superman. Completely disagree with the critics. The movie did have humour and emotion. And on top of that, a satisfying final fight, which I feel a lot of current superhero movies fail at (Iron Man 1 and 2, Captain America etc).

Also, Dat Hans Zimmer score!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I finally saw this today with my oldest boy (in 3D, at his insistence). I was suitably impressed with how they laud out his origins, and don't understand the issues with Krypton that so many of you expressed. The fighting was a bit hard to watch in 3D, but I'll attach it again under normal viewing circumstances in a minute. Satisfying ending, and OMG ALL THE FEELS when Chris Cornell's "Seasons" kicked in...that knocked me for a harder loop than anyone in Zimmer's score. A solid 7/10, tempered only by the 3D and lack of Fishburne/Costner screen time.

I finally saw this today with my oldest boy (in 3D, at his insistence). I was suitably impressed with how they laud out his origins, and don't understand the issues with Krypton that so many of you expressed. The fighting was a bit hard to watch in 3D, but I'll attach it again under normal viewing circumstances in a minute. Satisfying ending, and OMG ALL THE FEELS when Chris Cornell's "Seasons" kicked in...that knocked me for a harder loop than anyone in Zimmer's score. A solid 7/10, tempered only by the 3D and lack of Fishburne/Costner screen time.

MUCH better in 2D. Go back and see how much. I'm just about finished with all 3D nonsense.

Just saw this. I fucking loved it! Loved Henry Cavill as Superman. Completely disagree with the critics. The movie did have humour and emotion. And on top of that, a satisfying final fight, which I feel a lot of current superhero movies fail at (Iron Man 1 and 2, Captain America etc).

Also, Dat Hans Zimmer score!

Yup, I have the score running on iTunes like mad! He outdid himself.

bill0527

I saw it again last night. I can't articulate why, but I really enjoyed it more this time than the first time.

First time I saw it opening night I rated it about a 6.5. Second viewing, I would have to give it about an 8.5.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I saw it again last night. I can't articulate why, but I really enjoyed it more this time than the first time.

First time I saw it opening night I rated it about a 6.5. Second viewing, I would have to give it about an 8.5.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same. I need to see it a second time now that I know what it is and don't have any other expectations about it. Plus, I just want to see that Faora fight again!

MoS has made 25m in China in contrast to Iron Man 3's
125m
. Still though, its doing respectful numbers in the BO overall. I don't think it constitutes as a blockbuster if you compare it to recent comic book films like IM2 and the Amazing Spiderman

3 day gross versus 60 days?

Oh my, some one hold me.

edit: Your edit is even more hilarios. Thanks!

I didn't realise it opened so late, my mistake. It'll probably do around 50m there over the course of the month, so 600m WW looks achievable.

MOS2 to feature Asia sub-plot confirmed.

My biggest regret is not being able to see this in 2D. Fuck all you nonces that believe 3D is the peoples choice. There was 1 Imax 2D showing a week compared to the 3D option. Disgusting.

I bought into the 3D lie when I went to see Avatar. It was only when I watched it on Blu-Ray at home did I appreciate the gorgeous visuals and colour

Go319

Just got back from seeing this at the drive-in's.

Terrible. Just so bad on so many levels.

Many people drove off early...and the race to leave was hilarious and dangerous as people sped away from the screen lol

Dont go to the drive-in much but this was an amazing experience haha

Top Bottom