• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Superman's powers actually makes no goddamn sense. He draws his energy from the sun? The average human body has about 1500 square inches of skin. The sun provides about 1400 watts of energy per square meter. A meter is 39.2 inches, so a meter squared is 1536 square inches, roughly equivalent to the human body. So every hour, Superman can get about 1400 watts, and that's if he walks around naked.

Even if Kryptonian cells are the most efficient energy storage devices ever, there's no way he'd be able to sustain his high-level feats for more than a few seconds.

I got my values from wiki answers, so they might be off by a bit, but the point is the same.

End credits scene is Nolan in a black room staring deep into the camera, knowing, waiting. He sips tea for half minute then says "I'm gonna fuck your wife". Black screen "worlds finest"

strafer

this gotta be the first time a soundtrack doesn't leak one million days before the movie comes out.

feels good man

zoukka

mos21.gif

Man those are some sloppy punches.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Superman's powers actually makes no goddamn sense. He draws his energy from the sun? The average human body has about 1500 square inches of skin. The sun provides about 1400 watts of energy per square meter. A meter is 39.2 inches, so a meter squared is 1536 square inches, roughly equivalent to the human body. So every hour, Superman can get about 1400 watts, and that's if he walks around naked.

Even if Kryptonian cells are the most efficient energy storage devices ever, there's no way he'd be able to sustain his high-level feats for more than a few seconds.

I got my values from wiki answers, so they might be off by a bit, but the point is the same.

vEZZft6.png

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

most of the superheroes' powers don't make any sense

Dany

Banned
Word on the street that this movie isn't the answer to my prayers?

BRB, I'm not joining y'all in the sun. :(

I do not need this movie to be the greatest superhero movie of all-time.

I just need a good reboot of Superman that will build up to an incredible sequel. The superhero cycle of infinitely superior sequels will continue, even if it was completely broken by Iron Man 2.

It just needs to be a success at the box office please, and it needs to give me hope for the future of Superman. Unlike Superman Returns.

Sent

I just need a good reboot of Superman that will build up to an incredible sequel. The superhero cycle of infinitely superior sequels will continue, even if it was completely broken by Iron Man 2.

It just needs to be a success at the box office please, and it needs to give me hope for the future of Superman. Unlike Superman Returns.

Well it'll do all of that so you'll be fine.

witness

Exactly, exactly, exactly. As long as it does that and is not trash like GL, it'll be fine and make plenty of money. 5 days!!

MartyStu

Lex could be DC's Thanos. Thread him throughout the universe, have him as a looming threat in the background for a long time before being directly confronted. I'd rather watch him disassemble the Justice League than just watch him be setup to be knocked down by Superman.

I hope they give us rich mad scientist Lex and not merely corrupt businessman Lex.

The best Lex.

GamerXXX

Banned

The trailers, cast and early hype are setting people for a letdown. The trailers Warner Bros put together are amazing and the hope of superman being done right on the big screen has created this monster of anticipation and expectations. People need to go in not expecting the greatest CBM ever and just expect a fun time... that's it.

GamerXXX

Banned

yeah, but this is how superman was created and even though there have been deviations on the story, comics have tried to honor the original story.

The whole yellow sun and gravity don't make for a believable explaination for heat vision, x-ray vision. You could perhaps use it to explain strength but not the strength to do the godly stuff superman can do, it's ridiculous. Flight also cannot be explained by just earth having less gravity than Krypton; everyone that understands the science of flight cannot make sense of this. If you go to the moon, you can jump high, carry heavier things but you cannot fly and control your flight. On the moon, your skin, bones and muscles aren't different and are as vulnerable as they are on earth, even though you appear stronger cause things weigh less. So, superman creators didn't really come up with things which can be plausibly explained scientifically but hey, this is a comic!

but IF anyone would ask me to make a scientifically plausible or more realistic superman movie i would change things qite a bit: On Krypton, i would use an asteroid story to explain it's demise; simple no? Also, i would actually make Kryptonians humans, that's right. How else can we explain the fact that Kyptonian's look excatly the same as humans??? I would basically create a story whereby humans initially existed in Krypton and at some point found earth and some settled there. Superman powers? I would make it a combination of gravity (not yellow sun BS) and genetic engineering.. perhaps Kryptonians, through really advanced science, figured out a way to genetically engineer a superhuman - Kal-El, something forbidden. This would mainly explain his superpowers and why he's sent to Earth, ontop of Asteroid doomsday. Again, still difficult to buy but more plausible... but again, it's just a comic and nothing has to make sense, really

jackdoe

My expectations are pretty tempered to be honest. I'll pretty much enjoy the movie if it is the anti-Iron Man 3. Have plenty of action with an exciting final set piece, a strong antagonist, and no little kid side kick and I should have a blast. This criteria is why I enjoyed the other summer blockbusters like Star Trek Into Darkness and Fast and Furious 6.

The trailers, cast and early hype are setting people for a letdown. The trailers Warner Bros put together are amazing and the hope of superman being done right on the big screen has created this monster of anticipation and expectations. People need to go in not expecting the greatest CBM ever and just expect a fun time... that's it.
My guess is that superman fans are going to love this movie since they seem to show superman's powers like no superman movie before. But i don't think critics are gonna like this overwhelmingly like TDK, IM1, Avengers. I expect 70-80% on RT and over 8 on IMDB, which still is a good score. I hope I'm wrong about these scores and they are much much better.

SoilBreak

Banned
My guess is that superman fans are going to love this movie since they seem to show superman's powers like no superman movie before. But i don't think critics are gonna like this overwhelmingly like TDK, IM1, Avengers. I expect 70-80% on RT and over 8 on IMDB, which still is a good score. I hope I'm wrong about these scores and they are much much better.

70-80% on RT isn't that much of negative for me.

Me either. Some people are expecting 100% though.
I feel like the score will drop even more because of that to be honest.

I dont know about you but i think hype backlash affects critics and that people will want to give ot a shitty score because of how people have been acting pre release.

The type of people who love starting a convo with "x is so overrated, what was the big deal?" is who I'm talking about here.

Basing my estimate on the trailers and online impressions, which is a daft thing to do, but I'd say 80% is a safe bet. I expect critics to be charitable for the simple fact that it's a decent Superman flick.

Also, Superman Returns has a 76% RT score. It would be quite baffling for MoS, which by most early accounts is the better of the two, to receive a similar score.

MisterHero

Me either. Some people are expecting 100% though.
All I want is a Superman story that isn't tripe. Action will sell the movie but the story comes first.

Paramount*/Marvel movies feature increasingly reckless writing, and I don't want that to happen to DC movies.

*Star Trek

BadAss2961

Snyder has said a few times that this is the beginning.

Nolan has also been adverse to including any of the wider DC universe in his batman films.
I don't think that means much then. This is Superman's beginning, but they still have the option of tying in the TDK universe in a future teamup movie if they want to.

Any recommended media to watch? Feel like watching a good documentary on Superman.
Just watched this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6QrJjiwImw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Been watching dcu animated movies.

Superman Unbound is alright
Superman vs the Elite has interesting parts but overall lacks much of what makes the story its based on so good. The final confrontation stinks.
Public Enemies is fun even if the character designs are atrocious
Love Crisis on Two Earths, though i prefer the source material
Justice League Doom feels like its sequal and I enjoy it a lot as well.
Superman Doomsday is enjoyable as well, mostly for the battle with Doomsday
Almost forgot All Star Superman, which is great as well but again I prefer the source material. I feel like awesome lines were removed in the transition for no reason when they would have been fine in the film like "the phantom zone will have law and order at last" just for example.

Also cant go wrong with JLU and Superman:TaS

KalBalboa

Banned
Any recommended media to watch? Feel like watching a good documentary on Superman.

The best docs I've seen were on the first Donner film. Superman Returns also has a really stellar doc that's arguably better than the film itself, even to fans like me.

Top Bottom