• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Sanjuro

To be fair, I've only seen one decent trailer for the film and that was last year.

If the film is a B-C I don't see the harm. It still looks fun.

Mariolee

This is my first midnight premiere, and as gruesome as it is, I can't help but get the disaster at Aurora last year out of my head. I know logically speaking, I shouldn't be worried as the odds are pretty low that out of the millions of theaters mine would get hit, but just making the mental connection that this is another big tentpole DC film is bothering me.

I haven't seen those movies in a hell of a long time, but I certainly remember liking Superman Returns a great deal more.

He was strong and has some fun moments where he chews the scenery.

good grief.

Fanboys.

They're still here in the thread, sniping at reviews for "doing it wrong"

well sorry if I think a reviewer is an idiot for knocking something for not having cats in trees.
anyways most reviews are still quite positive.

MisterHero

Despite the difference between Begins and Returns, I was indiscriminately ready for a World's Finest after both had debuted.

Alas. :(

Sanjuro

Perhaps I should have said "polarizing" instead of lukewarm. The reception is all over the place. I've seen it called a great on the level of Batman Begins, only to turn around and see it called worse than Superman Returns.

Batman Begins wasn't acclaimed out of the gate. It just had legs that films even a few years forward aren't born with.

Every was the only notable standout which had me interested, considering his take on a majority of these films.

Wilbur

Banned
iLoVtNjdreKoC.gif

The extended action sequence, starting with Hulk punching the wurmship and ending with Tony's heroic save, is nothing but fun to watch.

thats good animation who made it pixar

I haven't entered this thread until now because I'm on blackout and treading very carefully, but I do find it pretty hilarious that this has a lower RT score than Returns.

Anyway, still really looking forward to it.

Solo

This is my first midnight premiere, and as gruesome as it is, I can't help but get the disaster at Aurora last year out of my head. I know logically speaking, I shouldn't be worried as the odds are pretty low that out of the millions of theaters mine would get hit, but just making the mental connection that this is another big tentpole DC film is bothering me.

Why even go to the midnight showing if this is on your mind? Hard to imagine you'll fully enjoy the movie if you've got that in the back of your mind.

This was a very mediocre movie. Snyder has some neat visual touches placed throughout, but the entire last half is a mindless headache -- think of the worst parts of The Avengers without any of the fun camaraderie. Henry Cavill is very strong, as is most of the rest of the cast, but the script is poor. It's mostly exposition and the most banal, forced kind. I didn't necessarily mind the flashback structure, but it undercuts some momentum. There are a few bad-ass moments...and that's about it. More to come.

Right now I'd go C or C+.

Thanks for saving me $12.

Dahbomb

Two people I know saw the movie already.

One thought it was the best Superman movie since the first Superman (Donner). No hard comparisons were made to the Batman movies but he said "it's up there, at least as good or better than TDKR".

Another thought it was good not godly. Said that there was some pacing issues in the start and at the end there was TOO much action. He said that Superman Returns is a good litmus test for if you would like this movie... if you hated Superman Returns you would most likely like this movie a lot but if you liked/loved Returns then you will not like this movie a lot.

Anecdotal I know but I generally trust both these people in terms of if they like something then I usually like it too. I personally have rarely seen an action movie where I can say "there was TOO much action" in it... I guess I am an action junky.

Sent

Two people I know saw the movie already.

One thought it was the best Superman movie since the first Superman (Donner). No hard comparisons were made to the Batman movies but he said "it's up there, at least as good or better than TDKR".

Another thought it was good not godly. Said that there was some pacing issues in the start and at the end there was TOO much action. He said that Superman Returns is a good litmus test for if you would like this movie... if you hated Superman Returns you would most likely like this movie a lot but if you liked/loved Returns then you will not like this movie a lot.

Anecdotal I know but I generally trust both these people in terms of if they like something then I usually like it too. I personally have rarely seen an action movie where I can say "there was TOO much action" in it... I guess I am an action junky.

If you like the action in Fast n Furious 5/6, STID, Avengers, Hulk, you'll really enjoy the action in MoS.

Oh I forgot you loved Gatsby. This improves my hopes that our contrasting opinions on summer films might hold true on this one.

The impressions from this film do seem like they took fanboys 'NOT ENUFF ACTIONZZZ' cries from Returns to heart.

I hope you're all happy, you ADD-riddled cunts!

Dahbomb

Yes, Iron Man 3 is better. So is Star Trek Into Darkness, Fast & Furious 6 and especially The Great Gatsby.
If this is worse than Great Gatsby then Zack Snyder should stop making big budget movies.

I personally thought GG was the worst of those movies listed.
If you like the action in Fast n Furious 5/6, STID, Avengers, Hulk, you'll really enjoy the action in MoS.
I did enjoy those movies... minus Hulk.

Wilbur

Banned
You loved Gatsby, what the fuck. That was legitimately one of the most boring and pointless films I've seen in my life.

STID and Fast Six were both 9/10s though, great fun.

Solo

Yes, Iron Man 3 is better. So is Star Trek Into Darkness, Fast & Furious 6 and especially The Great Gatsby.

I really enjoyed STiD and especially Furious 6. Hearing they are better than MoS isn't concerning. But hearing Iron Man might be too is concerning. I enjoyed IM enough for what it was, but I sure as hell hope MoS is better than it. Never saw Gatsby.

Furious 6 is likely the blockbuster of the year, just like Fast 5 was 2 years ago.

so

iron man 3>>>>man of steel?

Batman Begins > The Dark Knight > Iron Man> TDKR > Batman Returns > Batman (1989) > Ang Lee Hulk > Superman Returns > Iron Man 3 > Thor > Cap America > Edward Norton Hulk > Avengers > Iron Man 2 > Schumacher puke >>>>>> Green Lantern

MoS is somewhere between Iron Man 3 and Edward Norton Hulk

I really enjoyed STiD and especially Furious 6. Hearing they are better than MoS isn't concerning. But hearing Iron Man might be too is concerning. I enjoyed IM enough for what it was, but I sure as hell hope MoS is better than it. Never saw Gatsby.

Furious 6 is likely the blockbuster of the year, just like Fast 5 was 2 years ago.
Star Trek is my #1 blockbuster so far. I would have said Fast 6, but the second viewing of Star Trek was much more fun than the first time.

Wilbur

Banned
Fuck Fast and the Furious. You guys are really going to make me watch this shit.

Being serious, F&F1 is alright, then 2, 3 and 4 blow copious amounts of phallus. I went to go see number 5 with a bunch of mates for cheap, just going out for something to do and expecting to dislike the film

it fucking BLEW my mind. Like serious, the best action film since Bad Boys II (fuck the h8rz). It was just amazing, so much fun.

6 was almost as good, but still top top top entertainment. Watch 1, 5, 6. Fuck the rest.

Fuck Fast and the Furious. You guys are really going to make me watch this shit.

Eh, it's not a great deal better. My summer studio rankings thus far:

This is the End - B
The Great Gatsby - B
Iron Man 3 - B
Star Trek Into Darkness - B-
Fast & Furious 6 - C+
Man of Steel - C
The Hangover Part III - D

Oh shit Movie of the Summer confirmed.

Hey, if anyone can enjoy the last half of this movie, more power to them. I've simply grown tired of mindless CG-filled, never-ending battles.

TEJ

Is WB still thinking about a sequel helmed by Snyder and Goyer?

Some poor reviews probably won't stop it from being a box office success

I mean begins made less than 500 million worldwide and we still got the dark knight.

Batman Begins > The Dark Knight > Iron Man> TDKR > Batman Returns > Batman (1989) > Ang Lee Hulk > Superman Returns > Iron Man 3 > Thor > Cap America > Edward Norton Hulk > Avengers > Iron Man 2 > Schumacher puke >>>>>> Green Lantern

MoS is somewhere between Iron Man 3 and Edward Norton Hulk
I see you forgot to put X2 and Spidey 2 anywhere on there. Probably near the top I would hope.

Star Trek is my #1 blockbuster so far. I would have said Fast 6, but the second viewing of Star Trek was much more fun than the first time.

We agree on a lot of things. STiD is definitely my favourite blockbuster thus far and the second viewing was indeed even better. Not a fan of the F&F films though.

Solo

BTW, I haven't seen MoS yet obviously, but Furious 6 may have the best Superman leap found in movies this summer. For real :lol

We agree on a lot of things. STiD is definitely my favourite blockbuster thus far and the second viewing was indeed even better. Not a fan of the F&F films though.

That's because you don't live your life a quarter mile at a time, brah.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
STiD was awesome. Best summer film by far.

Pacific Rim and Elysium will save this summer.

Sent

There's still Pacific Rim. In Del Toro we trust! (pleaseeee)

e: Forgot about Elysium and Riddick (if that even counts as Summer)

I wasn't a fan either, but Fast Five was just fucking nuts. Fast 6 was close to its awesomeness, but came just a little short. Just barely.

Solo

I laughed my fucking ass off and had the biggest shiteating grin on my face. It was SOOOOOO over the top, but yet SOOOOO charmingly F&F.

There's still Pacific Rim. In Del Toro we trust! (pleaseeee)

Not a Del Toro fan. I will put my eggs on the Blomkamp basket for the remainder of the summer. Hopefully Elysium delivers.

Dahbomb

The Fast Furious crew are essentially super heroes at this point. Their special powers are driving cars super fast and have super human reactions with the ability to do superhuman feats occasionally. I mean how else would that plane sequence go on for 20 minutes? They had to slow/dumb it down for us mortals viewing gods doing work.

Also F6 had probably the best use of a post-credit scene in recent memory... I am now more hyped to see F7 than I was for F6.

I see you forgot to put X2 and Spidey 2 anywhere on there. Probably near the top I would hope.

Batman Begins > The Dark Knight > Iron Man> Spider Man 2 > TDKR > Batman Returns > X-Men 2 > X-Men > Batman (1989) > Ang Lee Hulk > Superman Returns > Iron Man 3 > Spider Man 1 > Thor > Cap America > Edward Norton Hulk > Amazing Spider Man > Avengers > Iron Man 2 > Spider Man 3 > Schumacher puke >>>>>> Green Lantern

Fixed

Solo

How long until the criticisms shift from Snyder and Goyer to Nolan?

There was already that Forbes review that completely ethered BOTH Snyder and Nolan :lol

Forbes said:
With Man Of Steel, Nolan and Snyder have combined to make a film that plays to their worst stereotypes. It’s full of big and stupid action at the expense of character while drowning itself in self-serious grimness, on-the-nose thematic exposition, and shoe-horned James Bond riffs.

Skewered. One sympathizes.

Oh man, the product placement in this one is laughable. IHOP gets more screentime than a few characters and 7-11, Sears, Nokia and Nikon are blatantly throughout.

inm8num2

There was already that Forbes review that completely ethered BOTH Snyder and Nolan :lol

I missed that one. However, most reviews I have read emphasize Snyder and Goyer as the lead storytellers. Some don't even mention Nolan, and when they do it's in passing or to give him a nod as the "grandfather" of the reboot.

Top Bottom