• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Solo

I missed that one. However, most reviews I have read emphasize Snyder and Goyer as the lead storytellers. Some don't even mention Nolan, and when they do it's in passing or to give him a nod as the "grandfather" of the reboot.

I think you have to hold all three of them "responsible" (I hate saying that because I haven't seen it and don't know how good or bad it is yet) almost equally. Goyer for writing it, Snyder for directing it, and Nolan for approving it.

And of course, you flip that around if the movie turns out great: split the praise almost equally.

DaveH

Just a reminder there's still a spoiler thread for people to discuss the film if they've seen it. Disclosures, even veiled, hold a different spoiler weight from those who've seen it.

Solo

Based on these reviews, I'm setting my expectation bar for something akin to the Marvel movies but with better production values and action.

Which of course makes it all the more easy for the movie to win me over. Lowered expectations can be a great things.

Dahbomb

My friend who saw the movie say that there are some "Nolan touches or styles" in the movie. The example he gave was this:

SPOILERS:

A lot of flashbacks in the movie going back to when Clark was a child which relate to current events. He said it was very Nolan-esque. I personally can't think of many flashbacks in Zack movies but they are littered throughout in almost all Nolan movies. He also said that unlike a Nolan movie the action was actually bad ass.

Tokubetsu

Being serious, F&F1 is alright, then 2, 3 and 4 blow copious amounts of phallus. I went to go see number 5 with a bunch of mates for cheap, just going out for something to do and expecting to dislike the film

it fucking BLEW my mind. Like serious, the best action film since Bad Boys II (fuck the h8rz). It was just amazing, so much fun.

6 was almost as good, but still top top top entertainment. Watch 1, 5, 6. Fuck the rest.

Tokyo Drift is the best, but all the ones with Han are amazing.

ReiGun

Join us in the sun.

Being in the sun wasn't supposed to be like this Solo.

I mean, arguing about the legitimacy of reviews for a movie 98% of us haven't even seen? Declaring the film doomed because it isn't the second coming? I'd rather stay in the bus. :(

Solo

DO EEEEET, Sanjuro!

I mean, arguing about the legitimacy of reviews for a movie 98% of us haven't even seen? Declaring the film doomed because it isn't the second coming? I'd rather stay in the bus. :(

I wasn't always here in the MoS thread. I once had BatGAF, my great love. It was....taken from me. Like you, I was forced to learn that there are critics without decency that must be fought without the Tomatometer, without exit polls. Your sun gives you great power, but if you let it, it will destroy you, as it almost did me.

cdkee

Banned
This thread isn't fun anymore. :(

This is hilarious tho. lol

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

Oh well. At least it will be a good post-final exams distraction.

I will have to, myself, SEE WHAT CLARK DID.

Veelk

Banned

This is the dark side of hype. Being excited about something means you scrounge for every speck of info. And when you find info saying something that doesn't line up with your expectations of it, it's offputting, so people tend to try to falsify that information somehow.

This is the price you pay for a ticket onto the hype train.

I wonder how long it will take solo to start speaking in MoS quotes.

Solo

This is the dark side of hype. Being excited about something means you scrounge for every speck of info. And when you find info saying something that doesn't line up with your expectations of it, it's offputting, so people tend to try to falsify that information somehow.

This is the price you pay for a ticket onto the hype train.

Yep. I've been burned far too many times which is why I try not to get hyped for any movies any more. It's so much easier when you have no expectations or delusions of grandeur. I would say a good 90% of films I succumbed to hype for ended up disappointing. The absolute worst phase of this is denial. When you try to convince yourself that what you saw lived up to expectations, when deep down you know it didn't. Ultimately its followed by acceptance.

Sanjuro

Maybe. I'm working second shift at the moment. I'm either out of work dead or up for another five hours.

I've been communicating with you all with one hand, the other deep in a machine that can tear my arm to pieces.

At least I've now heard the OST in full.

Veelk

Banned
Yep. I've been burned far too many times which is why I try not to get hyped for any movies any more. It's so much easier when you have no expectations or delusions of grandeur. I would say a good 90% of films I succumbed to hype for ended up disappointing. The absolute worst phase of this is denial. When you try to convince yourself that what you saw lived up to expectations. Ultimately its followed by acceptance.

I know what you mean. I've adopted this attitude into gaming, but I'm still having trouble internalizing it for movies. Most recently was Amazing Spider-man. I liked it first viewing, but second viewing destroyed any good will I had toward it. And everything for the second one looks awful.

GamerXXX

Banned
It's weird that this is getting lukewarm reception. I mean, a week ago I was led to believe that this was going to be on the level of the Nolan Batmans. Where did that notion come from?

and nolan/goyer seem to be bearing most of the brunt, with snyder taking hits as-well. seems like cavill was great so good for him, i don't think he'll be blamed as much as routh..Goyderolan will take most of the blame. Iwonder what routh would think seeing mos RT with 69 when his 'abysmal' returns sits at 76

Blader

Yep. I've been burned far too many times which is why I try not to get hyped for any movies any more. It's so much easier when you have no expectations or delusions of grandeur. I would say a good 90% of films I succumbed to hype for ended up disappointing. The absolute worst phase of this is denial. When you try to convince yourself that what you saw lived up to expectations, when deep down you know it didn't. Ultimately its followed by acceptance.

Spider-Man 3, man. :\

inm8num2

I think you have to hold all three of them "responsible" (I hate saying that because I haven't seen it and don't know how good or bad it is yet) almost equally. Goyer for writing it, Snyder for directing it, and Nolan for approving it.

And of course, you flip that around if the movie turns out great: split the praise almost equally.

Despite some lukewarm or negative reviews I'm still optimistic and excited. I think the movie is going to be great, and most "geek" reviewers seem to have enjoyed it.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I haven't seen those movies in a hell of a long time, but I certainly remember liking Superman Returns a great deal more.

ugh ugh ugh just ugh

tumblr_m8eg6iOYjV1qgfvpro1_500.gif

I'm gonna love the shit out of this movie.

cdkee

Banned
Man, that always annoys me.

I thought STiD and IM3 were meh (with IM being worse), so if this is worse I'll be very disappointed.

Yeah I mean I thought the plot for STID was extremely convoluted...the action/visuals were what I enjoyed. If MoS is worse...

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

I still have some hope though. The tomato-meter is so far based on 42 reviews, IM3 and STID have 250+. Hopefully it normalizes.

GamerXXX

Banned
Trolled again by Superman trailers. Should be some sort of crime, with jail time.

Now we know why Henry almost cried during his screening. That bad. Dat bad.

yeah, trailers were amazing... sold us a special movie. Hey, on the bright side, 70 score is mostly positive! and who knows what critics are looking for. If some critics are looking for godfather worthy scripts and a movie that delivers at every level, then they shouldn't be reviwing movies. Also, those who don't like or understand superman will most likely be the ones voting most negatively.

I think MOS will end up doing well at box office and when it's all said and done, succesful. It sure looks like it won't be this special, amazing movie trailers and this dream team promised us; oh well.

Meh, I'll make my own impressions Saturday night. I'm not getting burned by early reviews/Rotten Tomatoes again - that shit made me think Prometheus was gonna be God-tier.

I wonder how long it'll take someone to make a thread out of the RT-Meter rating.

Veelk

Banned
MoS is going to have to try very, very hard to be worse than Iron Man 3. That movie was as bad as a superhero movie can be while still being likable, and that was only due to RDJ being one of the most charismatic actors alive.

kswiston

I still have some hope though. The tomato-meter is so far based on 42 reviews, IM3 and STID have 250+. Hopefully it normalizes.

Normalizing doesn't mean increasing in score.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the RT score continues to drop. Almost all comic movies start higher than they end up.

Oh how did that movie turn out? I never watched it and I don't know anyone who did. And neither did any of my employees and we all work at a theatre.
Carter bombed, but I thought it was a lot of damn fun. Is it anything deep or meaningful? No. But do I feel like a kid while watching it and have a blast? Fuck yes!

cdkee

Banned
Normalizing doesn't mean increasing in score.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the RT score continues to drop. Almost all comic movies start higher than they end up.

Whoops, you're right. I just meant I hope it goes up as they more reviews come in.

Helmholtz

Eh, I've been a little skeptical of critics lately. I don't think my opinions align with theirs very often. For instance I enjoyed The Hobbit quite a lot, and it only has like a 65% rotten. And I enjoyed Mud well enough, but the 99% positive or whatever is a little baffling to me. So I'll continue to wait for more impressions from GAFfers before I decide if I'll watch MoS.

Sent

Eh, I've been a little skeptical of critics lately. I don't think my opinions align with theirs very often. For instance I enjoyed The Hobbit quite a lot, and it only has like a 65% rotten. And I enjoyed Mud well enough, but the 99% positive or whatever is a little baffling to me. So I'll continue to wait for more impressions from GAFfers before I decide if I'll watch MoS.

Watch Man of Steel. It's worth a watch in theaters.

Top Bottom