• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

thatbastardhvl4k.gif

I'll be watching it tomorrow, and I'll be posting my honest impressions here after the fact!

MVP of game of thrones. I dont know how anybody can hate Joffrey in the show, he steals the scenes

Just curious - why does it bother you so much?

Everyone has different habits of how they approach movies.

Excitement and expectation go hand in hand. When you're excited for something you naturally expect to enjoy it. If you don't expect to enjoy something, what's the point of becoming excited?

If you suggested people should temper their excitement and not let it get out of control due to various sources of hype, that would make a little more sense.

It doesn't bother me. It's just - people talk like it's some sort of impossibility that they just can't figure out, and it's really, really easy to avoid.

The only person in control of your EXPECTATIONS is you. It's not something you can't manage, or handle. It's entirely within your purview. I can hope a movie will be good without expecting it to be so.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be excited. Or anticipatory. I'm just saying you can do those things without putting EXPECTATIONS on a film. It's not that hard. It's a matter of taking the movie for what it is and judging it ON THAT, as opposed to judging it against your "hype" - which seems to be a thing people in these threads increasingly treasure more than the theatrical experience itself.

Which is understandable, considering how much fun getting "hyped" can be.

It's just that people don't want to even attempt separating the "hype" from the film when they watch it. And then they get sad/mad for pretty specious reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the film on its own.

Dahbomb

For most of the general public... TDK > TDKR > BB when it comes to the ranking. There just isn't that big of an appreciation of BB outside of the hardcores.

100 mil is far from guaranteed. Tracking has been falling. Latest numbers were 87 mil down from a high of 135 mil at one point. Hype seems to be really losing steam going by tracking numbers in the final week before release. Similar thing happened to Trek 2.

!!!!! Holy fuck, where in God's name did you find $135 million? The highest I've seen was boxoffice.com and $115 mil, which is where it's still at, and that number increased?

I read an article from a week ago that said MoS was believed to have an $85-$90 million dollar opening weekend, but that was from Warner Bros.

Zabka

A lot of these negative or middling reviews I'm reading seem to focus on preconceived notions of what Superman should be. I think that's a valid criticism for Superman Returns since it was a continuation of an existing series but in a reboot everything is fair game.

You say that, but tell me you won't be disappointed when after a lapdance from ScarJo, she starts slowly peeling off her clothes and her big dick flops out and hits you in the face.

jbb939GiNmRxBY.PNG

inm8num2

It doesn't bother me. It's just - people talk like it's some sort of impossibility that they just can't figure out, and it's really, really easy to avoid.

The only person in control of your EXPECTATIONS is you. It's not something you can't manage, or handle. It's entirely within your purview. I can hope a movie will be good without expecting it to be so.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be excited. Or anticipatory. I'm just saying you can do those things without putting EXPECTATIONS on a film. It's not that hard. It's a matter of taking the movie for what it is and judging it ON THAT, as opposed to judging it against your "hype" - which seems to be a thing people in these threads increasingly treasure more than the theatrical experience itself.

Which is understandable, considering how much fun getting "hyped" can be.

It's just that people don't want to even attempt separating the "hype" from the film when they watch it. And then they get sad/mad for pretty specious reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the film on its own.

But if people didn't let their unfettered excitement lead to exorbitant expectations, we wouldn't have such entertaining meltdowns. :)

I agree with and get your sentiment. But these days it's hard for people to contain their expectations or keep them reasonably grounded when we spend so much time digesting promotional material, dissecting it, talking on forums, etc.

Like you said, the months of hype and anticipation are almost as memorable as the film experience itself. I think the huge expectations and hot/cold reactions are almost inevitable.

I'm disappointed to see the freakouts and 180 turns. People have a right to whatever reactions and opinions they have, of course, but it's weird how a few negative reviews can totally crush someone's anticipation for a film and cause such contagious meltdowns.

I've read some reviews and see the points people make in their criticisms, but it doesn't phase my excitement. I guess I've almost always been able to do what you mention - be excited but not let expectations get out of hand.

People are fickle, I guess.

Cheebo

Banned
!!!!! Where in God's name did you find $135 million? The highest I've seen was boxoffice.com and $115 mil, which is where it's still at, and that number increased?
BoxOffice.com doesn't do tracking. Those are predictions. There are people at their forum who work for major theater chains who leak actual studio tracking info. It's where the 87 is coming from. It's been falling most of the week. Tracking for the Seth rogen movie seems to be stealing a lot of it, this is the end looks to be doing over 40-50 mil this weekend now it seems.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
1264-EW-COVER-SUPERMAN.jpg

lol someone's missing

DatDude

Banned
So what's the general consesus on this film?

The low review score on metacritic (55), and Rotten Tomatoes (65%) has made my hype go down quite a bit.

Is it bad? Good? Just so-so? I really had huge expectations for this film, and seems like I need to keep them in check.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Tom Welling still trolling.

lol they didn't even use a pic of him with his black s shirt or biker jacket. Ultimate Superman troll.

Blader

Ridley Scott returning to sci-fi and absolutely pitch-perfect trailers leading up to release.

His sci-fi movies were like 30 years prior though.

Ridley has been hit or miss for his ENTIRE career though. When he hits, motherfucker HITS, and KoH:DC was only 7 years prior to Prometheus. And of course, Prometheus had an amazing trailer.

7 years is still a long time, and it's not like it was a 7 year absence, he made like 4-5 weak movies in that run.

All I'm saying is, no one should expect Ridley to be good, just be surprised when it happens. :lol

Matrix

Really another thread was made to say MOS is getting worse reviews than Returns. This forum sometimes.

Wtf is wrong with this thread.

MisterHero

I can't say I'm not disappointed by what is supposed to be a gigantic relaunch for DC Comics movies. I'm seeing the movie cuz Superman's my favorite comic book/fiction character. He always survives.

He'll outlive us all too. mwahahaha

Matrix said:
lol someone's missing
Broadway's Bob Holiday?

Dahbomb

Really a new thread was made to say MOS is getting worse reviews than Returns. This forum sometimes.

Wtf is wrong with this thread.
There isn't anything wrong with this thread... it's a natural reaction to the movie getting worse reviews than Superman Returns.

The other thread though is a waste of space. We don't need more glorification of RT.

Matrix

Broadway's Bob Holiday?

I could have said a couple other guys are missing, but since everyone has been talking about Returns and Routh was the last guy to wear the suit on the big screen it's odd he couldn't even make the cover.

DatDude

Banned

The low review score on metacritic (55), and Rotten Tomatoes (65%) has made my hype go down quite a bit.

Is it bad? Good? Just so-so? I really had huge expectations for this film, and seems like I need to keep them in check.

Go see it for yourself.

Peole hate it, people love it. There is no consensus.

And keeping expectation in check is just a good idea for most things.

But if people didn't let their unfettered excitement lead to exorbitant expectations, we wouldn't have such entertaining meltdowns. :)

I agree with and get your sentiment. But these days it's hard for people to contain their expectations or keep them reasonably grounded when we spend so much time digesting promotional material, dissecting it, talking on forums...

I've read some reviews and see the points people make in their criticisms, but it doesn't phase my excitement. I guess I've almost always been able to do what you mention - be excited but not let expectations get out of hand.

People are fickle, I guess.

Yeah, they're definitely that :) thanks, man, and apologies if I came off a little snotty/shitty. I do that sometimes when I don't mean to. I mean, sometimes I absolutely DO mean to, but this wasn't one of em.

the movie hasn't come out.

DatDude

Banned
the movie hasn't come out.

I realize that but there's alot early impresssons, from gaf users, and film critics?

Just looking at a few reviews on metacritc, and rotten tomatoes, it seems as if this movie is pretty good, but has not lived up towards it's titanic potential.

Which is quite sad, at least for me. Don't know what to look forward to anymore.

-Kees-

At this point I want them to make the sequel a $200 million remake of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective just to see what the reaction would be. Because Supes apparently isn't Supes without a literal "Save the cat" moment.

Matrix

I know! How could they leave out the DCAU Superman?

Jesus, no Routh, but they got the Jim Lee Superman on the cover?

DCAU and Routh are far more cover worthy than Cain (worst Superman ever) or heck even Welling since all he did was play Clark and have them cgi his ass for all of 30 seconds it seemed.

ugh I just defended something from Returns.

kunonabi

lol they didn't even use a pic of him with his black s shirt or biker jacket. Ultimate Superman troll.

Should have used a different pic for Reeve and used the shirt rip from the finale for Tom. That or his red&blue getup.

I think the problem is most of the CWs promotional stuff for the show didn't have him in anything other than plain clothes most of the time.

inm8num2

Yeah, they're definitely that :) thanks, man, and apologies if I came off a little snotty/shitty. I do that sometimes when I don't mean to. I mean, sometimes I absolutely DO mean to, but this wasn't one of em.

No need to apologize, I didn't think you were snotty. :)

I just meant that it's probably best to not worry too much about how people are reacting. I mean, the reactions by people here have been a bit jarring to me but I figured I'd just let the storm ride out. Hell, I've been borderline trolling or fanning the flames in a very light manner.

But ultimately, I think in the grander sense the whole cycle of hype, anticipation, and amazement/disappointment is so rooted in modern movie culture (especially that of superheros, comics, blockbusters, etc.) that it's doomed to repeat over and over.

Still, I do believe most people will enjoy MoS for what it probably strives to be. If there's one thing I've learned these types of internet responses are almost trivial in the context of mass audiences. I'll use the TDKR example again - most people I know who don't spend time on forums or really thinking much about movies outside of seeing them absolutely enjoyed it.

I hope people can be a little bit less mercurial in the future, but I'll keep low expectations. ;)

kunonabi

I could swear that they got a promo shot of him in the all-black get up he was in during the later seasons.

the only one I remember is the cover to soundtrack and it it isn't a very good shot. Actually, I think there was one other shot of him in the black now that I think about it.

Most of the better shots of him are usually set photos though.

the only one I remember is the cover to soundtrack and it it isn't a very good shot. Actually, I think there was one other shot of him in the black now that I think about it.

Most of the better shots of him are usually set photos though.
lbAElrD.jpg

They released a few promo stills of Tom in the S-Jacket getup. Nothing like the stock "Superman in static pose" stuff the others took though, that I've seen.

MisterHero

Smallville Season 9's boxset uses a production photo of the Black-suited Red-Blue Blur.

They exist. No one probably cares though.

I realize that but there's alot early impresssons, from gaf users, and film critics?

Just looking at a few reviews on metacritc, and rotten tomatoes, it seems as if this movie is pretty good, but has not lived up towards it's titanic potential.

Which is quite sad, at least for me. Don't know what to look forward to anymore.

a few people have seen it but we haven't gotten down to the big boys of the thread ;) giving their impressions. we just have to wait. if you had set in your heart to go see the movie, go see it.

So when is everyone seeing this? Would be nice to hear more impressions from some of the regulars. I've got my tickets for 8pm on Friday night...

midnight. 26 hours 10 minutes until I join him in the saw what Clark did.

kunonabi

lbAElrD.jpg

They released a few promo stills of Tom in the S-Jacket getup. Nothing like the stock "Superman in static pose" stuff the others took though, that I've seen.

yeah this is one of the set photos from a season 10 episode. Season 10 had a some really great shots like this.

The season 9 image is one big photo shop, it isn't one of the publicity shots that they really use. The publicity stuff is all generic modeling shots.

Arguments can be made for TDK though. The middle act is the best of the entire batman trilogy followed by Batman Begins' first act

Plus joker is so far above bane and ra's al ghul/scarecrow it's not even funny. Such a joy to watch

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If they re-released BB in theaters as "The Dark Knight Begins" and tried to pass it off as a new movie and a prequel 90% of moviegoing mouthbreathers would suddenly declare it the best in the series... because it would be the first time they see it.

Top Bottom