• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Sephzilla

I have personal gripes with TDK because I kind of think it gets stupid near the late middle act and on after that. Like Joker's whole plan to catch Dent that relies on a bunch of contrivances conveniently happening that he in absolutely no way can properly plan for.

Yeah. Less people saw batman begins. And then all of a sudden the hype for dark knight was just massive. They did great marketing for the sequel

Arguments can be made for TDK though. The middle act is the best of the entire batman trilogy followed by Batman Begins' first act

Plus joker is so far above bane and ra's al ghul/scarecrow it's not even funny. Such a joy to watch

Bane is way better than Joker. While the acting isn't nearly as good, Bane actually accomplished a shit ton and was miles more frightening and threatening.

I have personal gripes with TDK because I kind of think it gets stupid near the late middle act and on after that. Like Joker's whole plan to catch Dent that relies on a bunch of contrivances conveniently happening that he in absolutely no way can properly plan for.

that's the Joker's whole M.O in a nutshell. someone always ends up getting hurt/killed either way.

Sephzilla

I dunno... I also kind of have mixed feelings about TDK's Joker too. Ledger was fucking fantastic in the role and he had some legitimately awesome moments, but he didnt, well, act like the fucking Joker very much. The magic trick in the early portion of the movie was the most Joker-like thing he does, after that he's kind of just an aggressive psychopath.

Not saying that isn't part of Joker's calling card... but where were the dark humor jokes, smilex gas, acid flower, etc etc. I kind of think if he didnt have the makeup on and wasn't called The Joker, nobody would think he was The Joker. At least Scarecrow still had his fear gas and Bane still had some crazy inhuman strength.

I think I'm way too spoiled by Batman: TAS Joker.

I dunno... I also kind of have mixed feelings about TDK's Joker too. Ledger was fucking fantastic in the role and he had some legitimately awesome moments, but he didnt, well, act like the fucking Joker very much. The magic trick in the early portion of the movie was the most Joker-like thing he does, after that he's kind of just an aggressive psychopath.

Not saying that isn't part of Joker's calling card... but where were the dark humor jokes, smilex gas, acid flower, etc etc. I kind of think if he didnt have the makeup on and wasn't called The Joker, nobody would think he was The Joker. At least Scarecrow still had his fear gas and Bane still had some crazy inhuman strength.

Mmmm.... there's always been two types of Joker, the clown type and the psycho type. this one I thought leaned towards psycho but with a plan (of sorts) and had a more dry, sarcastic sense of humor. I personally thought he was funny in his own way (his mannerisms at the hospital when dressed as a nurse) wonder if given more time they could incorporated the acid motif and the laughing gas in a more realistic way.

Sephzilla

Mmmm.... there's always been two types of Joker, the clown type and the psycho type. this one I thought leaned towards psycho but with a plan (of sorts) and had a more dry, sarcastic sense of humor. I personally thought he was funny in his own way (his mannerisms at the hospital when dressed as a nurse) wonder if given more time they could incorporated the acid motif and the laughing gas in a more realistic way.

Yeah, he's definitely more psycho Joker. I dunno, I guess I have my preferences towards the other version.

But yeah, if they made Scarecrow's fear gas work in a more realistic way I don't think Joker's laughing gas would have been very hard to work out. Maybe they avoided using it because the last villain also used a gas based weapon.

inm8num2

Yeah. Less people saw batman begins. And then all of a sudden the hype for dark knight was just massive. They did great marketing for the sequel

I hate saying this but the biggest aspect of marketing for TDK was Ledger's death. I mean, people were still anticipating the hell out of that movie but Ledger's passing added a whole new dimension to it.

A ton of people saw BB, though, especially on DVD. The hype was already rising in 2006-2007. The December 2007 trailer, with the first major reveals of Ledger's Joker, was incredible and caused a huge spike in interest in TDK. Then Ledger died a month later and the anticipation for his take on Joker just went further through the roof.

Darkgran

I liked it.

I think most people are going to find things they like about it. It is definitely not as bad as some are making it out to be, but it could have been much better. Soundtrack was great and the acting for the most part was good. I kinda felt like it dragged at the end. Pretty sure people are going to be split about this. I would see it again.

javac

You say that, but tell me you won't be disappointed when after a lapdance from ScarJo, she starts slowly peeling off her clothes and her big dick flops out and hits you in the face.

This...arouses me. Go on Sculli I want to hear more about this erotic fan fiction.

Sephzilla

I hate saying this but the biggest aspect of marketing for TDK was Ledger's death. I mean, people were still anticipating the hell out of that movie but Ledger's passing added a whole new dimension to it.

A ton of people saw BB, though, especially on DVD. The hype was already rising in 2006-2007. The December 2007 trailer, with the first major reveals of Ledger's Joker, was incredible and caused a huge spike in interest in TDK. Then Ledger died a month later and the anticipation for his take on Joker just went further through the roof.

It's really true unfortunately. The hype train for TDK was pretty strong but Ledger's death is what sent that movie into a different tier of anticipation. Hollywood generally gets a massive boner for someone after they prematurely die and briefly become the best thing that ever existed for about 4 or 5 weeks after they die.

Blader

Well yeah, if you took away his most distinguishing trait, he wouldn't seem very much like the Joker.

TEJ

I think it's more like heath ledger played the joker, batmans most iconic villain and maybe the most iconic comic villain, and that batman begins had a bunch of villains nobody outside of comic fans really knew about.

Oh god damnit, I posted here when I said I was leaving. urrrrrrrrrrrgh

Dahbomb

The middle section of TDK and Batman Begins opening act are definitely the two best sequences in the trilogy. By middle section I mean the part where Joker orchestrates a simultaneous strike on various Gotham figures while the music is slowly building up to the climax of Joker crashing the party all the way up to Joker's dialogue with Harvey Dent in the hospital. I can watch these two segments pretty much any time but as soon as Batman says "I am Batman" after headbutting Falcone or when the ship arc starts I stray away from both movies. In TDKR I would say I really liked the opening segment with the plane heist, the final 5 minutes of the movie, Bane vs Batman #1 (even though the choreography was shit) and when Bane takes over Gotham. The middle segment where essentially nothing is happening and the final bomb act with the "twist" were extremely middling and were some of the few times where I was a bit bored in the entire Trilogy.

And don't tell you didn't shit your pants when Hockey Pad guy hit the window in front of the mayor's office.

But my point is, if you took the makeup away from Nicholson's version of the character he still acts and does things that are very Joker like.
If you are going to say that then Ra's Al Ghul didn't do anything that was "Ra's" like. He didn't have true magic or rejuvenation from the Lazarus Pit nor was he truly immortal. The supernatural element was a big part of the character but I am glad they wrote a very different (and awesome) take on the character.

I say the same for the Joker. Psychopath Joker is far more in line with the Nolan Batman than funny gag reel Joker although the true psycho Joker is some R rated stuff. I really wanted to have a scene of Joker slitting someone's throat with a glass of water but I guess the pencil scene is a nice replacement.

Dream movie is batman begins first act, TDK middle act and ending, then some crimefighting as a wanted vigilante for a few years and then last 5 minutes of TDKR

Basically...screw tdkr aside from those beautiful final minutes

Dahbomb

Dream movie is batman begins first act, TDK middle act and ending, then some crimefighting as a wanted vigilante for a few years and then last 5 minutes of TDKR
The perfect Batman movie.. that we will never get.

And I feel sorry for whoever is doing the Joker character next. Will be compared to Jack Nicholson, Mark Hammil and Heath Ledger Joker like crazy.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Is that EW on shelves yet?

Nope. I should be getting my free subscription copy in the mail this Friday. I'm not sure if they hit newsstands the same day.

walei

The movie played here in Taiwan since Tuesday and I saw it last night.

The movie is the worst super hero movie IMHO in recent years... not as bad as Superman Returns but... not that much better either.

The movie takes itself WAYYYY TOO SERIOUSLY and by the time it gets to the final act it was just tedious. Zod wasn't a compelling villain at all. Him and his female henchwoman were way too cheesy and not in a fun self depreciate kind. The movie was a textbook of cliches, but at least the action scenes were pretty cool.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
walei, you didn't have to put that in spoilers. You didn't spoil anything.

"The movie takes itself WAYYYY TOO SERIOUSLY"

Awesome for me.

cdkee

Banned
Got this off of reddit haha

5nRSHzS.jpg

GhaleonEB

Been busy with work and distracted by E3, so I just now checked the RT score....62%? Ouch.

Still looking forward to it, but I didn't see that coming.

witness

Is anyone genuinely still excited? This thread was so much fun just a couple of days ago =( I'm still excited to go on Friday, just not what I was before all this negativity. Superman is my favorite character, full stop, and I will be so heart broken if its not good to me.

I hope this is just a divisive movie for critics but the general audience loves the shit out of it so we can get the DCverse going. We NEED a Batman/Superman movie finally.

Mariolee

Looks like I'm missing the midnight premiere. Won't see it til Tuesday. :( It's gonna be hell not going into this thread. What will the spoiler policy be in here considering there's a spoiler thread?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Is anyone genuinely still excited? This thread was so much fun just a couple of days ago =( I'm still excited to go on Friday, just not what I was before all this negativity. Superman is my favorite character, full stop, and I will be so heart broken if its not good to me.

I hope this is just a divisive movie for critics but the general audience loves the shit out of it so we can get the DCverse going. We NEED a Batman/Superman movie finally.

I am still fuckin AMPED. "Too much action"? Of the Superman ass-kicking variety?? Yes, please.

Dahbomb

I am genuinely still very excited, I just have tempered expectations. Even the bad reviews have sort of confirmed what I wanted in a Superman for the current generation.

I want a Superman movie to be good, I want a BB treatment for the character. I want Superman movies to grow out of the Donner shell (no digs at the movies, there were great for the time).

I am totally with you on the Batman/Superman movie. I think those two characters alone are bigger than the entire Avengers (and I love the Avengers too). I would crap my pants at a live action version of World's Finest.

Stuff that still have me hyped for the movie (based on general impressions):

*Henry Cavill is a great Superman/Clark both in look and character.
*Cast generally delivers
*Action, action, action... and then some more action.
*Solid soundtrack (I have heard parts of it, Hans Zimmer didn't phone it like he did it with TDKR.. he actually tried)
*Movie looks good visually in both the slow scenes and when the action goes down
*Serious take on the character and the mythology of the universe. I don't want a Nolan Batman but I definitely do not want more Donner/Superman Return.
*Menacing villain... I want someone to actually test Superman on the big screen.

Have my tickets booked in advance for Friday at 7 PM.

Right now the biggest "deal breaker" from the reviews has been the uneven pacing and not living up to the potential of its premise. These statements were used for TDKR and they were extremely apt even though I overall enjoyed the movie.

Matrix

I'm super excited! Just bummed I can't see it till the 20th.

cdkee

Banned
I'm still excited. The thing sin the reviews that apparently bothered people don't seem to be deal-breakers for me. So I'm reserving my judgment for my own viewing. Got my seats reserved for Friday night.

Matrix

Looks like I'm missing the midnight premiere. Won't see it til Tuesday. :( It's gonna be hell not going into this thread. What will the spoiler policy be in here considering there's a spoiler thread?

Use the spoiler thread. This thread is black bar over spoilers if you want to talk to people in here. Not everyone can see it right away.

inm8num2

I'm a little bummed out. I planned to see MoS Friday morning but something came up earlier today. I may have to wait a couple extra days to see the movie - no matter.

The movie played here in Taiwan since Tuesday and I saw it last night.

The movie is the worst super hero movie IMHO in recent years... not as bad as Superman Returns but... not that much better either.

Just general minor non-plot spoiler on my impressions

The movie takes itself WAYYYY TOO SERIOUSLY and by the time it gets to the final act it was just tedious. Zod wasn't a compelling villain at all. Him and his female henchwoman were way too cheesy and not in a fun self depreciate kind. The movie was a textbook of cliches, but at least the action scenes were pretty cool.

that's not spoilers dude. what do you mean by it takes itself too serious, what would you have prefered?

THIS BUS STOPS FOR NOTHING!

GamerXXX

Banned

I thought DK was 7.5/10, TDKR 6/10 and BB 8/10...

GamerXXX

Banned
I am genuinely still very excited, I just have tempered expectations. Even the bad reviews have sort of confirmed what I wanted in a Superman for the current generation.

I want a Superman movie to be good, I want a BB treatment for the character. I want Superman movies to grow out of the Donner shell (no digs at the movies, there were great for the time).

I am totally with you on the Batman/Superman movie. I think those two characters alone are bigger than the entire Avengers (and I love the Avengers too). I would crap my pants at a live action version of World's Finest.

Stuff that still have me hyped for the movie (based on general impressions):

*Henry Cavill is a great Superman/Clark both in look and character.
*Cast generally delivers
*Action, action, action... and then some more action.
*Solid soundtrack (I have heard parts of it, Hans Zimmer didn't phone it like he did it with TDKR.. he actually tried)
*Movie looks good visually in both the slow scenes and when the action goes down
*Serious take on the character and the mythology of the universe. I don't want a Nolan Batman but I definitely do not want more Donner/Superman Return.
*Menacing villain... I want someone to actually test Superman on the big screen.

Have my tickets booked in advance for Friday at 7 PM.

Right now the biggest "deal breaker" from the reviews has been the uneven pacing and not living up to the potential of its premise. These statements were used for TDKR and they were extremely apt even though I overall enjoyed the movie.

well put... I myself love the ideas that Goyer/Nolan apparently came up with for MOS - a more serious take on the character and make the world around him more real. The ideas were great and cast great but looks like execution was faulty. This is a shame because Cavill really looks like superman and apparently did a great job. It's really hard to find the right actor for this role so if MOS doesn't deliver, it will feel like they wasted a great superman! Like you, i did not want another Donner film but it seems other did

Top Bottom