• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

After all of this talk about RT and comic book movies, I just endeavored (read: wasted half an hour) pouring through the site and compiling a list of comic book movies and their ratings on RT. Enjoy!

• 94% - American Splendor, The Dark Knight
  • 93% - Superman, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man
  • 92% - Ghost World, The Avengers
  • 89% - Superman II, Spider-Man
  • 88% - X-Men: First Class
  • 87% - X2: X-Men United, HellBoy II: The Golden Army, The Dark Knight Rises
  • 85% - Batman Begins
  • 82% - The Crow, Road To Perdition
  • 81% - Batman Returns, Oldboy, Hellboy
  • 79% - Captain America
  • 78% - Sin City, Dredd, Iron Man 3
  • 77% - Thor
  • 76% - Kick-Ass
  • 75% - Superman Returns
  • 73% - The Amazing Spider-Man, V For Vendetta, Iron Man 2
  • 71% - Wanted
  • 70% - Batman
  • 67% - The Incredible Hulk
  • 64% - Watchmen
  • 63% - Spider-Man 3
  • 62% - Hulk, Watchmen
  • 61% - The Rocketeer
  • 60% - 300
  • 59% - Blade II
  • 58% - Man Of Steel
  • 57% - X-Men: The Last Stand
  • 55% - Blade
  • 45% - Daredevil
  • 44% - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie
  • 41% - Batman Forever
  • 38% - X-Men Origins: Wolverine
  • 37% - Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer
  • 36% - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Secret Of The Ooze
  • 29% - The Punisher (2004)
  • 27% - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, Punisher: War Zone
  • 26% - Superman III, Blade Trinity, Fanastic Four, Ghost Rider, Green Lantern
  • 24% - The Punisher (1989)
  • 18% - Judge Dredd
  • 17% - Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance
  • 14% - The Spirit
  • 12% - Batman & Robin
  • 10% - Elektra
  • 9% - Catwoman

57% From Hell
87% A History of Violence
81% Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

After all of this talk about RT and comic book movies, I just endeavored (read: wasted half an hour) pouring through the site and compiling a list of comic book movies and their ratings on RT. Enjoy!

• 85% - Batman Begins

• 79% - Captain America
  • 77% - Thor
  • 76% - Kick-Ass
  • 75% - Superman Returns
  • 71% - Wanted
  • 70% - Batman

• 64% - Watchmen
  • 63% - Spider-Man 3
  • 62% - Hulk, Watchmen
  • 61% - The Rocketeer
  • 60% - 300

• 59% - Blade II
  • 58% - Man Of Steel
  • 55% - Blade

• 45% - Daredevil
  • 41% - Batman Forever

• 18% - Judge Dredd
  • 14% - The Spirit
  • 12% - Batman & Robin
  • 10% - Elektra

• 9% - Catwoman
Pretty decent top ten imo (first ten individual movies) only first class is suspect

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

• 85% - Batman Begins

• 79% - Captain America
  • 77% - Thor
  • 76% - Kick-Ass
  • 75% - Superman Returns
  • 71% - Wanted
  • 70% - Batman

• 64% - Watchmen
  • 63% - Spider-Man 3
  • 62% - Hulk, Watchmen
  • 61% - The Rocketeer
  • 60% - 300

• 59% - Blade II
  • 58% - Man Of Steel
  • 55% - Blade

• 45% - Daredevil
  • 41% - Batman Forever

• 18% - Judge Dredd
  • 14% - The Spirit
  • 12% - Batman & Robin
  • 10% - Elektra

• 9% - Catwoman
So much shit with good ratings. Hulk is considered fresh on RT. Hulk. That's it. I'm out.

Raptor

6 and half hours to be amazed!

1010592_578674902177716_1930500433_n.jpg

• 87% - X2: X-Men United, A History Of Violence, HellBoy II: The Golden Army, The Dark Knight Rises
  • 85% - Batman Begins
  • 81% - Batman Returns, Oldboy, Hellboy, Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

• 79% - Captain America
  • 77% - Thor
  • 76% - Kick-Ass
  • 75% - Superman Returns
  • 71% - Wanted
  • 70% - Batman

• 64% - Watchmen
  • 63% - Spider-Man 3
  • 62% - Hulk
  • 61% - The Rocketeer
  • 60% - 300

• 59% - Blade II
  • 58% - Man Of Steel
  • 57% - From, Hell, X-Men: The Last Stand
  • 55% - Blade

• 45% - Daredevil
  • 41% - Batman Forever

• 18% - Judge Dredd
  • 14% - The Spirit
  • 12% - Batman & Robin
  • 10% - Elektra

• 9% - Catwoman

Great work mate. Very interesting to see where some movies are. I can see Man of Steel falling somewhere in the 60s.
obviously no reasoning behind that but a guess

MisterHero

Add to Solo's list The Incredibles at 97%.

I guess people just like wholesome movies.
despite its ultra-generic conflicts and antagonist(s)

Dahbomb

V for Vendetta alongside IM2 and ASM is a bit of a travesty.

I loved the first 2 Blade movies when they first came out. The CG effects don't hold up very well though.

Solo

Revised list, as RT isn't really reliable for movies that were released before RT existed. So, here's a list containing only movies released during RT's existence (1998 onwards):

• 93% - Spider-Man 2, Iron Man

• 89% - Spider-Man
  • 87% - X2: X-Men United, A History Of Violence, HellBoy II: The Golden Army, The Dark Knight Rises
  • 85% - Batman Begins
  • 82% - Road To Perdition
  • 81% - Oldboy, Hellboy, Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

• 79% - Captain America
  • 77% - Thor
  • 76% - Kick-Ass
  • 75% - Superman Returns
  • 71% - Wanted

• 64% - Watchmen
  • 63% - Spider-Man 3
  • 62% - Hulk
  • 60% - 300

• 59% - Blade II
  • 58% - Man Of Steel
  • 57% - From Hell, X-Men: The Last Stand

• 45% - Daredevil

• 29% - The Punisher
  • 27% - Punisher: War Zone
  • 26% - Blade Trinity, Fanastic Four, Ghost Rider, Green Lantern

• 14% - The Spirit
  • 10% - Elektra

• 9% - Catwoman

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
V for Vendetta alongside IM2 and ASM is a bit of a travesty.

V for Vendetta belongs alongside IM2. Just a hell of a lot lower on that list. But yes, to see such a great movie like ASM next to those turds is upsetting. By the way ASM is underrated. It's probably my favourite Spiderman movie.

jett

D-Member
tumblr_lignffzWGP1qfi562o1_500.png

Aw man. I'm sorry to say it was kind of hit or miss for me. First off, this is a pretty weird movie. It's more of a sci-fi/alien invasion deal than a comic book or even a Superman adaptation. I suppose Superman has been realized as believable as he can be in MoS. Where such a direction is good or bad will depend on each person. They've also virtually reinvented and rewritten him and his mythology. They take a couple of huge liberties which may or may not enrage the comic book die-hard. I personally rolled with them.

BTW, I'll be making some BB comparisons for obvious reasons.

Now, the good stuff. The actions sequences in this movie are outstanding, awe-inspiring even. There's a 10-minute sequence in the middle of the movie that immediately takes its place among the all-time greatest action scenes in cinema. During those 10 minutes, it's the Superman we deserve, it's everything everyone hoped for. Faora is BADASS, I'll say no more. And Cavill does a fine job as Supes. Most of the time he's a digital double punching stuff, though. :p But he does bring good emotion to the character when needed.

Unfortunately I wasn't really feeling the rest. Snyder/Nolan gives Krypton, Jor-El and Zod a frankly absurd amount of screen time. The movie spent may have spent more time establishing and building up Zod than Superman himself. It's like they tried to pull off a Batman Begins here, which has an established link between the villain and the hero. Except BB doesn't waste time with Ra's, and except there's no direct link between Zod and Supes, it's a tertiary link through his father.

The trailers act like there's some sort of interesting internal conflict with Clark, but there really isn't one, what little is there is pretty much surface level. Lots of Lana Lois too, in a way it almost seems like one of those forced female characters so that the movie doesn't feel too dudebro. This woman is everywhere. Amy Adams is fine but her Lois is not really compelling or interesting.

Lastly, visually I can't say I enjoyed how blue this movie looks. This movie is bleak already and the desaturated color palette makes it even bleaker. Even BB had more color variety, and even had a few good jokes in it, this really does not. Super serious all the way through, some of the tension towards the end doesn't let up at all. Not saying this is bad, just describing the thing. :p There's an equally manic and uneven sense of pace with the editing of some stuff(outside of the action). I thought it was a little weird, movie barely gives you room to breathe. It's like Snyder can't wait to move on to the next section of the film. The soundtrack was all right for me, it kind of blends in the background, punches it up when necessary(which is a lot of the time actually).

Overall, it's a good time, and I'm interested in seeing it again. I was expecting an emotional core that resonated with me more, I suppose, but the action stuff is really top notch. I guess Nolan is to blame for this movie's deficiencies in the end.

Raptor

NIce review jett, and the most important thing for me about your review is this:

I'm interested in seeing it again

For some reason this is very important to me, that a movie is not forgetable right away and sort of just there.

You wanting to see it again is a very good sign to me.

jett

D-Member
I liked it, don't put words in my mouth. Just didn't like it as much as I thought I would, I'm glad my hype levels decreased in the last couple of weeks. :p

So, 3d or not?

I watched it in 2D BTW.
Seems like a solid and fair review Jett.

Now rate it against Returns.

I am pumped to see that action scene now.

6sxvdu9ljqd.gif

The airplane scene Scullibundo loves to overhype? A fart in the proverbial wind compared to MoS.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I liked it, don't put words in my mouth. Just didn't like it all that much, I'm glad my hype levels decreased in the last couple of weeks. :p

I watched it in 2D BTW.

Thanks for your honest thoughts and for not bringing up the Donner films.

lol Solo

These are basics in storytelling. People see live action movies to see the actors perform. Having CG duplicates demolishing CG buildings doesn't affect viewers the same way as the actors doing something funny, poignant, or romantic. Technology allows directors to reflect concept art/storyboards 100% accurately, removing the need for actors/cinematography/editing to sell whatever's going on.

This speaks to a pet point of mine when it comes to superhero movies: I agree that I think there's a bit of a disconnect in superhero films when you watch the actor become a digital effect and return again. Even if it's done almost seamlessly, you kinda innately understand that you're no longer watching the actor you've been enjoying all movie. It's not the CG's fault, though. I think it's that there's a jump at all.

Superhero movies seem PERFECTLY built for the level of computer animation we're currently enjoying, and I think if we were allowed to key into the performance of the animated character, when he/she flies into action - that split doesn't happen, that disconnect never kicks in.

People tend to argue that people won't take the movies as seriously, or that the movies won't have the same level of impact if they stay in the realm of imagination, but I fundamentally disagree, ESPECIALLY when you consider how emotionally resonant some of the best computer animated films of the last 10 years have been. Also once you consider the best Superhero movie ever made was The Incredibles.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
haha Returns can go fuck off

Dahbomb

Thank god. That was the response I was hoping for.

Although I am shocked to hear that the airplane scene is surpassed. That was definitely the best thing that Returns brought to the table.

Raptor

I did, I actually liked it a lot. Speaking of Watchmen, virtually zero slow motion in MoS. Pretty surprising from Snyder.

Thanks man, I loved Watchmen a lot, you review also gives me faith that I think I will love the shit out of this move.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The plane scene in Returns is overrated. Well ok it's not. But the line Supes said at the end of it ruined it for me. "Statistically speaking it's still the safest way to travel". That line summed up the entire movie. Tried way too hard to be like the Donner films and Ralph tried way too hard to be Reeve. HEY LOOK HE SAID THE SAME LINE HE SAID IN SUPERMAN 1 AND THE VOICE SOUNDED JUST LIKE CHRISTPHER REEVE!!1! Just felt so forced to me. But the actual rescue was cool.

^^^
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 needs to be in the 110% category. Reviewers don't know anything!

KS6cjCq.jpg

Seriously, I maintain that TMNT is still the most realistic Super Hero out there. It doesn't try to be dark like Batman, but it still feels grounded and dark. A movie about talking TURTLES is still more realistic than pretty much any Super Hero is that's on the market.

Matrix

The plane scene in Returns is overrated. Well ok it's not. But the line Supes said at the end of it ruined it for me. "Statistically speaking it's still the safest way to travel". That line summed up the entire movie. Tried way too hard to be like the Donner films and Ralph tried way too hard to be Reeve. HEY LOOK HE SAID THE SAME LINE HE SAID IN SUPERMAN 1 AND THE VOICE SOUNDED JUST LIKE CHRISTPHER REEVE!!1! Just felt so forced to me. But the actual rescue was cool.

lol Ralph

Top Bottom