• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

kswiston

That doesn't mean much. What percentage of people buy their tickets this far in advance?

Not sure. It probably depends on the theatre/city. However, I'd think that those numbers would be somewhat consistent across similar movies if both movies had a similar level of awareness (which is probably the case between MoS and IM3 with their gigantic marketing campaigns). I still think that MoS can break $100M, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it falls under that number. This might end up like the Hobbit, where the opening weekend is still quite high, but disappointing compared to expectations.

Dave_6

Just saw part of a clip of a fight between Faora and Supes....

:O

Hopefully I'll get to see it either tomorrow night or Saturday in 2D IMAX.

UOfuad4.png

Welp

Dahbomb

I am taking two of lady friends with me to Man of Steel. Even if this is the worst super hero movie of all time, Henry alone will more than make up for the price of ticket for them.

Facebook has been filling up with people who have seen it, pretty much all thought it was godlike/amazing etc.

Who's Mark?

Big comic book writer, huge Superman fan. His origin story, "Superman Birthright" actually inspired a few ideas in Man of Steel, like the "S" family crest standing for hope.

It's funny, with every mixed opinion I'm more interested in seeing this film just to see where I stand on it

ReiGun

It's funny, with every mixed opinion I'm more interested in seeing this film just to see where I stand on it
Same. I cannot get a read on this at all. Every time I see a review lambasting it, I see another that glowing. And then another that's just in middle.

I'm so curious to see it now.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I just returned from the Walmart Premiere screening, which was supposed to start at 7 but, because of previews and some nonsense interviews with cast members and the director, actually started at 7:45 (it was around 7:30-35 when the previews ended, which was absurd by itself).

I thought the movie was fantastic. I get the feeling that many critics have been so hard on it because it isn't what they expected. That isn't to say it's without flaws; I have a few nitpicks with the film and, in fact, would have made one quite major change to it. But overall, it definitely doesn't deserve anywhere near the negative reviews it has garnered.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
General audience and fan reaction on twitter and tumblr is extremely positive tonight. Seems guys from here seeing it to are loving it. Gonna make this wait for me even harder ugh

Soybean

Well, I loved it. Good origin, sense of Superman's speed and strength, tugged at the heartstrings a few times, plenty of action.

Dahbomb

All I know about Superman is from some comics (All Star, Funeral for a Friend, Brainiac, Death of Superman, Crisis on Infinite Earth, Kingdom Come, Man of Tomorrow) Injustice, JLU, Superman TAS, all the Superman Hollywood movies and watched all the DC animated movies with Superman in it.

I am not some super hardcore Superman fan.

Nah.

It was probably compounded by the fact large chunks of his book "Birthright" are referenced rather blatantly.

So not only did he not like the direction Goyer/Nolan/Snyder went in, he probably really doesn't like that they used some of his work on top of that.

He mentioned on Twitter that "even if MoS disappoints", he was still grateful for the opportunity to contribute something to the movie - this was before that "heart breaking" tweet. So, he likely knew, if not volunteered his ideas (something he'd done for a reboot pitch after Returns).

We're gonna find out tomorrow - he promised a review after this screening.

But yeah, I'm betting he's going to wind up sounding way more like Edidin's review on Wired than say, Manohla Dargis' review in the Times.

He mentioned on Twitter that "even if MoS disappoints", he was still grateful for the opportunity to contribute something to the movie - this was before that "heart breaking" tweet. So, he likely knew, if not volunteered his ideas (something he'd done for a reboot pitch after Returns).

I know - I meant more that his disappointment AFTER seeing the movie was probably compounded a little bit by knowing his stuff was folded into it.

Rayven

aka surume
Non-Superman fan here (grew up with marvel/image). Just got back from the theater and thought it was fantastic!

Great pacing and a never ending stream of inventive, escalating action scenes.

Only stumbled like twice the entire movie (small stuff). Go see it.

I dont mind either but i think-and i guess I've just been bearing this drum too much, sorry-its gonna divide superman faithful and result in a lot of petty name calling and fandom cred questioning.
This is gonna sound really stupid, but the time he said his heart broke made me think that was the point where that moment happened.
I agree actually.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
My best friend just got out from seeing it, texted me that "it was dope as hell. One major change but understandable and I'm fine with it." He's a comic book geek, like me, and loves Superman, so this bodes real well. Can't wait till Saturday.

witness

Yeah seems like people are loving the shit out of it on Twitter, and did anyone else see boxofficemojo's prediction of $139 million?! Holy shit this is going to be huge. Seems like the GA and critics will disagree on this one.

Wife and I saw This is the End tonight, way too tired for a midnight MoS show but we bought our tickets for tomorrow while we were there and there was already a bunch of people gathering for midnights.

GamerXXX

Banned
some of the reviews are incerdible, claiming is as bad as a movie can be, yet some talk of it like the greatest thing... I will say though that this 56 RT is shocking, really friggin shocking.

It seems Snyder tries to do different things but he is not rewarded cause it just doesn't sit well with critics, we'll see about audiences. Can't wait to see it though, can't wait. I have read that there are talks of a suquel, really? Doesn't look like Warner Bros will be able to keep the Goyer/Snyder/Nolan trio here, cause they are getting hammered by critics.

Top Bottom