• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

some of the reviews are incerdible, claiming is as bad as a movie can be, yet some talk of it like the greatest thing... I will say though that this 56 RT is shocking, really friggin shocking.

It seems Snyder tries to do different things but he is not rewarded cause it just doesn't sit well with critics, we'll see about audiences. Can't wait to see it though, can't wait. I have read that there are talls of a suquel, really? Doesn't look like Warner Bros will be able to keep the Goyer/Snyder/Nolan trio here, cause they are getting hammered by critics.

That's cause they need Best Nolan on this, not Chris Nolan.

Jonathan-Nolan.jpg

Maybe Jonah was too busy with Person of Interest (ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS ON TV BTW), but they should get him to take a look at the script for MoS2.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm gonna ask a question that's spoiler tagged and I want someone who knows if I'm guessing right about this thing that happens that is dividing people/huge superman fans to please answer me back either via pm or spoiler tagged in here without quoting my post...

Does Superman kill a villain? cause if so, it's happened before in the comics back in the days just not in any movies and I have no problems with that

I could be way off with my question and if I am, I don't want to know what the real thing is.

ReiGun

If the script is the biggest problem, then yes: light the Jonah Signal. Or honestly, just bring on another good writer, cause I think we'd have enough evidence that Goyer, Chris, and Synder should not be left to write on their own.

GamerXXX

Banned
I'm gonna ask a question that's spoiler tagged and I want someone who knows if I'm guessing right about this thing that happens that is dividing people/huge superman fans to please answer me back either via pm or spoiler tagged in here without quoting my post...

Does Superman kill a villain? cause if so, it's happened before in the comics back in the days just not in any movies and I have no problems with that

I could be way off with my question and if I am, I don't want to know what the real thing is.

i have no issues with that... I have an issue with what apparently happens during the tornado scene..

Clark lets his dad die cause his dad pleads with him not to show his powers in front of others. What does this make Clark? a complete deuchebag, won't save his own dad cause of the fear that everyone will find out who he is, seriously?

I'm cool with that too, if that's the case. In fact... I think I may prefer it...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yes matrix,
he does

Some fans didn't like it either, i just thats a line for some people

K well as a die hard Superman fan that knows a lot about his history, it doesn't bother me one bit. Thanks for the answer.

i have no issues with that... I have an issue with what apparently happens during the tornado scene..

Clark lets his dad die cause his dad pleads with him not to show his powers in front of others. What does this make Clark? a complete deutshebag, won't save his own dad cause of the fear that everyone will find out who he is, seriously?

holy shit that's really stupid. i dunno why i highlighted that but it doesn't make any sense.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

Clark lets his dad die cause his dad pleads with him not to show his powers in front of others. What does this make Clark? a complete deuchebag, won't save his own dad cause of the fear that everyone will find out who he is, seriously?

Douchebag.

Is how you spell it. And I kind of liked that scene. It certainly fits thematically.

In fact, my only problem with that scene was that (not really a spoiler, but just in case)
everyone ran to get under the overpass, and this was presented as the thing to do in such situations, which it most certainly isn't.
But lots of people believe that, so it's at least realistic.

Nesotenso

that sounds bad

It also sounds like what bothers people aboit the end is that it doesnt sound like he had to do what he did. I've seen people list other courses of action he had available.

Blader

If the script is the biggest problem, then yes: light the Jonah Signal. Or honestly, just bring on another good writer, cause I think we'd have enough evidence that Goyer, Chris, and Synder should not be left to write on their own.

Neither Chris nor Snyder wrote this.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
7/10. Fantastic movie but the plot felt very rushed at times. Pacing was usually spot on with some slowness in the early second arc. Also.... the fight scenes. Jesus.... Christ.

Darkgran

Now that I have had some time to think about it...

I really liked the movie. I agree with Jett on most of the things he said. I need to see it again to give a final opinion, but the thing is...I want to see it again.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
yeah but seriously?

Seriously. Understand, though, that (actual spoiler)
Pa Kent is pleading with Clark as this is happening. So Clark has only a split second to decide whether to follow his dad's instructions or not. Because of that, Clark's inaction can be viewed as the result of simply not coming to a decision yet, rather than as the result of deciding to follow his father's pleas. He certainly seems torn up about it.

Totakeke

Pa Kent is pleading with Clark as this is happening. So Clark has only a split second to decide whether to follow his dad's instructions or not. Because of that, Clark's inaction can be viewed as the result of simply not coming to a decision yet, rather than as the result of deciding to follow his father's pleas.

I have no problems with that scene. You guys just gotta see the movie.

Remember that this is the same dad who said he shouldn't save the other children in the bus because his powers will get discovered.

GamerXXX

Banned
Felt fine in the flow of the film and serves another purpose plot-wise.

actually not that big of a deal for me but it's that goyer can come up with this just to be different but come on
superman would never let his dad die just to keep his identity a secret; how many here would do this? 1/100?
anyway, i haven't seen it so probably works well in the flow of things

GamerXXX

Banned
Pa Kent is pleading with Clark as this is happening. So Clark has only a split second to decide whether to follow his dad's instructions or not. Because of that, Clark's inaction can be viewed as the result of simply not coming to a decision yet, rather than as the result of deciding to follow his father's pleas. He certainly seems torn up about it.

fair point..

Shaanyboi

Banned
actually not that big of a deal for me but it's that goyer can come up with this just to be different but come on
superman would never let his dad die just to keep his identity a secret; how many here would do this? 1/100?

Johnathan has spent years nailing it into Clark's head that he cannot reveal himself. This goes beyond just a basic father/son relationship.
And he's not Superman yet. It's about how he becomes Superman.

I haven't seen it, but the idea that this happens doesn't seem out of place at all. In fact it makes pretty good sense.

Matrix

Don't get me wrong, I love you guys (kinda), but this is starting to read like a black ops document.

Sorry that's my fault for starting this tonight. I just didn't want to enter the spoiler thread since I was just taking a guess and wont see it till next Thursday. I should have just pm'ed someone first, but I figured I'd get a quicker reply here.

I didn't mean to cause black ops 2 in here again lol

Interesting article on CriticWire about how Superman Returns, entitled "How Hit Movies Become Flops."

Examines how a movie that was pretty universally well reviewed shortly after it came out is thought of as a failure. And how most people are taking the opportunity to rewatch it just before Man of Steel, and giving it some extra thought beyond the intial backlash.

Speaking of backlash: There's an interesting anecdote about David Poland, who was the first reviewer to give it a serious pan at the time, and the reaction he got for doing so.

Rayven

aka surume

Yeah, it's one of those things. I'm usually pretty critical, but that scene didn't really bug me.

OK, before I go over to the spoilers thread, the fight scenes in this movie were fantastic and frequent. Pacing was good and it didn't get too mired in exposition
(though what was there was not great)

Matrix

GAF response right now is a big F you to the critics lol

ElFly

Great movie.

Could have done with some jokes here and there, tho. Movie is all serious business until the very end.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't want to sound over the top, and I usually am quite critical but I am in love with this movie. Too tired to formulate proper thoughts but Cavill nailed it, Shannon was a truly fearsome and emotionally rich villain and goddamn, Faora is the coolest evil chick ever in a freaking action flick. Seriously. Mad chills watching this. And DAT OST.

Kandinsky

I liked it, I liked it alot, the thing that bothered me the most was how serious it was, I think I counted 2 jokes :/

Also Faora stole the show.

satori

Hey guys I need to ask again. I know this might sound like a silly question, but my 5 year old nephew just called me begging me to take him to watch this movie. I have not seen him in months and his parents taken him to seen other pg 13 movies. His mom dont give a crap and taken him to see stuff like avenger, iron man 3, etc.

For those that saw it, any parts of the movie too much for a kid his age? I am sure if I dont take him, his mom will later on anyways lol. Anyways any thing I should be wary about like too much gore, foul lang etc?

Blader

Hey guys I need to ask again. I know this might sound like a silly question, but my 5 year old nephew just called me begging me to take him to watch this movie. I have not seen him in months and his parents taken him to seen other pg 13 movies. His mom dont give a crap and taken him to see stuff like avenger, iron man 3, etc.

For those that saw it, any parts of the movie too much for a kid his age? I am sure if I dont take him, his mom will later on anyways lol. Anyways any thing I should be wary about like too much gore, foul lang etc?

Haven't seen it myself but it's a PG-13 movie, so it can't really be gorey and legally cannot swear more than, like, twice. :lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It's superman...

Just done.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. It is action packed.

The general crowd will enjoy it. This movie is going to he big and we are going to see a sequel.

Top Bottom